What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2021/22 Stanley Cup NHL Thread **** Congrats 2022 Avs Cup Champs! (1 Viewer)

Unrelated, but with the hockey on my mind and the olympics coming up, i decided to watch some 1980 hockey highlights.  The medal round was so bizarre.  Now they do it by knockout, i.e. there is a gold medal game, bronze game.  In 1980, they had 2 divisions of 6 teams.  Top 2 in each division made the medal round.  So, 4 teams made the medal round, with each division playing the other division, so 2 games.  But here was the kicker, the game you played against your advanced division team carried forward, weird.  the u.s. and sweden moved forward and ussr and finland moved forward and they formed a 4 team division, with ussr starting off with 2 points (they had beaten finland), u.s. and sweden each with 1 point.  so, when the u.s. played finland, a win guaranteed the gold, but if they tied, they still had a chance i believe.  sweden and finland tied.  so the game between ussr and sweden after the u.s. finland still could have mattered.  u.s. with a tie would've had 4 points, the ussr and sweden had 2 pts each going into the game.  the ussr eventually won that game and moved to 4 points, so i assume u.s. would've won via tie break.  but if sweden won, u.s. and sweden both would have 4 pts, but they tied in the main round.  so who knows........also, i watched the u.s. finland game as broadcast and i think abc was in a commercial when the u.s. tied the game at 2 and took the lead 3-2, unless the feed i watched was off.  just so bizarre, but i guess this was 40 years ago.  feels like not so long.  finland has jari kurri and mikko leinonen.  i remember leinonen off the top my head being a middling ranger, but i think he had a 6 or 7 point playoff game i was at.  i recall like 6 assists, maybe 7.    

i keep reading that the rangers are putting strome and buchnevich in play.  they need their spots and money.  still attached to eichel, but i am praying they make buffalo hold some salary.  was reading rangers could roll strome and 15 to ottawa for 10, then use buchnevich, 10, chytil and a d prospect for eichel.  i’d do that deal.  buchnevich is five or take to me, chytil seems to have plateaued, 10 can go cause they have so much youth and they have piles of d prospects.

i keep reading that the rangers are putting strome and buchnevich in play.  they need their spots and money.  still attached to eichel, but i am praying they make buffalo hold some salary.  was reading rangers could roll strome and 15 to ottawa for 10, then use buchnevich, 10, chytil and a d prospect for eichel.  i’d do that deal.  buchnevich is five or take to me, chytil seems to have plateaued, 10 can go cause they have so much youth and they have piles of d prospects.
That offer still sucks. 

@frank_seravalli: Early word is #SeaKraken are closing in on contracts with two UFA defensemen: Adam Larsson (EDM) and Jamie Oleksiak (DAL).

Not finalized. But barring any last minute change, the expectation is those players will be the selections from #Oilers and #GoStars.

@DFOHockey

@PierreVLeBrun: According to sources, the Kraken did NOT select Carey Price in the expansion draft. He remains property of the Montreal Canadiens
@TSNHockey @TheAthletic

@PierreVLeBrun: According to sources, the Kraken did NOT select Carey Price in the expansion draft. He remains property of the Montreal Canadiens
@TSNHockey @TheAthletic
If the rumors of what the Kracken were asking for in order to not take Jake Allen are true, then they got really badly outplayed here. Shrewd move by Montreal. 

wow. Seattle shopping in the discount aisle for umm, "organizational depth".

@frank_seravalli: There was a lot of intrigue about whether #SeaKraken would be tempted to take one of the high-priced players the #Flyers dangled.

Hearing the selection was a bit of a surprise: Carsen Twarynski.

Can honestly say I didn't see him plucked in many mock drafts. @DFOHockey

At least with the Flyers, who were openly trying to shed big money contracts,  wondering if Seattle said,"It'll cost you a 2nd round pick for us to take Voracek. " Flyers told them to pound sand. Seattle replied with "Fine, we'll take a winger whose ceiling is a 4th line mucker just to show you."

wow. Seattle shopping in the discount aisle for umm, "organizational depth".

@frank_seravalli: There was a lot of intrigue about whether #SeaKraken would be tempted to take one of the high-priced players the #Flyers dangled.

Hearing the selection was a bit of a surprise: Carsen Twarynski.

Can honestly say I didn't see him plucked in many mock drafts. @DFOHockey
wtf

lol at CSKA offering Kaprizov a contract being "newsworthy".  pretty sure they would pay him anything at any time to come back

this-

I thought there was a chance they took Bunnaman. Twarynski looks the AAAA type.

@charlieo_conn: FWIW, if I was Seattle and I was going this route in terms of taking an older prospect/org depth piece from PHI, I'd have went with Connor Bunnaman over Carsen Twarynski. More versatile (can play C & W), and had longer stretches of looking like a useful NHL forward.

yeesh

@CapFriendly: Based on the reports, this is what we expect the #SeaKraken initial roster to look like

The team will have significant cap space out of the gate to take advantage of.

Missing: CHI, DET, NYR 

Of the selections, 6 players are currently pending RFAs and 4 are UFAs https://twitter.com/CapFriendly/status/1417892960667160580/photo/1
Know nothing about the NHL but excited for the Kraken (going to the draft thing tonight).

How does this potential roster look? 

not sure I get the hate. this is a solid team with a lot more moves to come when they start announcing all the side deals.

Some of the picks make no sense (to me) unless there's a side deal or another move yet to be announced.
well yeah. none of the side deals have come out yet.

Ian Furness: @IanFurnessSea

Word among multiple NHL “people” I have heard from is simple… theme of the expansion draft has to be “Side Deals”. A LOT of additional compensation coming #seaKraken way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that's all anyone has said  :shrug:
who are we really surprised that they passed on? high-priced guys? they obviously really valued cap space here and can probably use that to land some other valuable pieces in separate trades.

So, in addition to looking at the players they selected, you have to wait to see what else they acquired in side trades, and then also see what they do with all the cap space they have remaining after taking a lot of low-priced guys here. This is just one part of the initial roster build.

I don't think anybody thought Vegas would be who they were at the time either. William Karlsson for example came out of nowhere to be a 40 goal/#1C for them right away.

who are we really surprised that they passed on? high-priced guys? they obviously really valued cap space here and can probably use that to land some other valuable pieces in separate trades.

So, in addition to looking at the players they selected, you have to wait to see what else they acquired in side trades, and then also see what they do with all the cap space they have remaining after taking a lot of low-priced guys here. This is just one part of the initial roster build.

I don't think anybody thought Vegas would be who they were at the time either. William Karlsson for example came out of nowhere to be a 40 goal/#1C for them right away.
Jake Bean would be an example that I'm talking about. Cheap, young, somewhat proven already. Just don't see any downside to a guy like that. Those are the kind of no-brainers I expected them to load up on. So maybe we'll see a side deal come out with Carolina explaining that one. 

Part of me would like to see Tampa be the first to play Seattle, really for no other reason than curiosity.

I can't remember..when did news on the side deals start coming out for Vegas? Day after the "draft"? 

I thought many of them were pre-draft, but I'm old and the memory and I aren't on speaking terms. 

Still shocked the Isles were able to shed the contracts of Ladd, Leddy and Eberle.

Next few days will be fun for the NHL.

wowzer, ESPN is going to ESPN i guess. i finished doing some work and wanted to see the results of the draft at 8:50, and ESPN head's still talking without draft starting yet. Maybe my own fault for thinking the draft would actually start at 8:00 because that was what was advertised

this show is a train wreck. Chris Fowler getting jabs in at players, teams. and cities. Dominic Moore struggling to introduce yet another 4th liner.. mics not working. 

wowzer, ESPN is going to ESPN i guess. i finished doing some work and wanted to see the results of the draft at 8:50, and ESPN head's still talking without draft starting yet. Maybe my own fault for thinking the draft would actually start at 8:00 because that was what was advertised
What? They’ve gone through like 16 picks. 

this show is a train wreck. Chris Fowler getting jabs in at players, teams. and cities. Dominic Moore struggling to introduce yet another 4th liner.. mics not working. 
Show is awful except for Fowler getting the flame thrower out. Love him. 

started at 8 pm eastern.

What? They’ve gone through like 16 picks. 
hmm i turned online. i'm at Kemp and Payton telling the crowd how much they love the NHL. only pick they made was the Anaheim pick. guess i got some other/old feed

ETA: thought they were doing it alphabetically, just saw the other picks so that is at least refreshing

hmm i turned online. i'm at Kemp and Payton telling the crowd how much they love the NHL. only pick they made was the Anaheim pick. guess i got some other/old feed
they started in the East and announcing one at a time...like getting your teeth pulled...with almost enough novocaine.

@jmarshfof: Here's a Brandon Tanev story, happened behind the scenes but speaks to the type of man Seattle is receiving.

@jmarshfof: I talk a lot about mental health on Twitter. I had the father of a daughter struggling with anxiety and some other horrible things reach out. At a game, Tanev gave her a wave on the boards and it really helped the anxiety of being in a new place.

@jmarshfof: This information got back to him and he invited the family to come down and be his guest to a game. No questions asked. Just a top human of all time.

Users who are viewing this thread