What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

​⚽ OFFICIAL GOLD CUP THREAD: United States Beats Mexico. Again. ⚽ (1 Viewer)

That kid is something special. I cant figure out what position he plays though- thought he was an out and out winger...but have heard him called an outside back and now a MF.

Canada looking good if they can get everybody healthy.
He has played every where on the flank for the Revs,  Arena has used him as an attacking FB, as a wing back in a 3-5-2, as a wide player in a 4 man midfield and as a winger in a 4-3-3.

He is another kid like Dike who must have not caught the right people's eye when he was young, as he ended up going to college for a couple of years before being drafted.  

He really has chops though.  And only at 22 I think he will be getting to Europe just in time.

He has played every where on the flank for the Revs,  Arena has used him as an attacking FB, as a wing back in a 3-5-2, as a wide player in a 4 man midfield and as a winger in a 4-3-3.

He is another kid like Dike who must have not caught the right people's eye when he was young, as he ended up going to college for a couple of years before being drafted.  

He really has chops though.  And only at 22 I think he will be getting to Europe just in time.
Thought he was a couple years younger. Doesnt matter- has all the intangibles to be a big time player with the right seasoning. Hope it works out for him.

RIP Alex, but I will take WTF for $2000 please

==================

Concacaf Gold Cup quarterfinal between El Salvador and Qatar on Saturday at 7:30 pm ET (kickoff) is moving from FS2 to Fox. 

That kid is something special. I cant figure out what position he plays though- thought he was an out and out winger...but have heard him called an outside back and now a MF.

Canada looking good if they can get everybody healthy.
I think he looks best as a wing back.  Don't think he has the defensive acumen(at least not yet) to play FB at a big club, but he seems to operate best when given a bunch of space to highlight his speed, which is crazy dangerous.  I think he'll end up as either a WB or a true winger if and when he ends up on a European roster.

I think he looks best as a wing back.  Don't think he has the defensive acumen(at least not yet) to play FB at a big club, but he seems to operate best when given a bunch of space to highlight his speed, which is crazy dangerous.  I think he'll end up as either a WB or a true winger if and when he ends up on a European roster.
As soon as he got in the box, he had the look of being unstoppable to consistently open up space for himself for a shot or pass/cross. A real sense of his own abilities and how to use them dangerously...the sign of an elite player.

[Bogert] More offers have arrived for Tajon Buchanan. The New England Revolution have received offers for Buchanan starting at $5m, I’m told. Revs pushing to keep Buchanan through the end of 2021 season, be it as a loan-back or agreement for the deal to take effect on January 1

===============

$5m seems like a good price especially if they can snag a 20-25% sell on fee.

El Sal a bit robbed there on the PK call.

I turned it on around 20mins in at 2-0. From that poimt on, it was mostly EL Sal. Both teams looked capable, both looked highly vulnerable.

Wcq vs El Sal is going to be all kinds of concacaf nasty. Hope the refs are up to it.

El Sal a bit robbed there on the PK call.

I turned it on around 20mins in at 2-0. From that poimt on, it was mostly EL Sal. Both teams looked capable, both looked highly vulnerable.

Wcq vs El Sal is going to be all kinds of concacaf nasty. Hope the refs are up to it.
At least the crowds won't be much of an issue.

There was an article on mainstream media projecting a US loss vs. Jamaica...I wouldn't really care at this point, but I would like to see our B/C team get tested a bit more.   The Busios of the team need to understand what they lack at this level so they can get better.  

A zardes hat trick would be nice.  :)  

There was an article on mainstream media projecting a US loss vs. Jamaica...I wouldn't really care at this point, but I would like to see our B/C team get tested a bit more.   The Busios of the team need to understand what they lack at this level so they can get better.  

A zardes hat trick would be nice.  :)  
Who knows.

The US has looked capable of losing two of these games so far, to equal or worse competition. Hopefully that makeshift backline and no wingers can coalesce into something worthwhile.

Tonight’s USMNT Starting XI vs. Jamaica: 1-Matt Turner, 3-Sam Vines, 6-Gianluca Busio, 7-Paul Arriola (capt.), 11-Daryl Dike, 12-Miles Robinson, 13-Matthew Hoppe, 16-James Sands, 17-Sebastian Lletget, 20-Shaq Moore, 23-Kellyn Acosta

Tonight’s USMNT Starting XI vs. Jamaica: 1-Matt Turner, 3-Sam Vines, 6-Gianluca Busio, 7-Paul Arriola (capt.), 11-Daryl Dike, 12-Miles Robinson, 13-Matthew Hoppe, 16-James Sands, 17-Sebastian Lletget, 20-Shaq Moore, 23-Kellyn Acosta
Looks like GGG's common 4-1-2-3

........................Turner

Moore.......Sands......Robinson......Vines

.........................Busio

:..............Acosta.........Lletget.

Nips.................Dike......................Hoppe

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'd have Williamson in for Busio, but that's more or less the best lineup we could field IMO.  Should be enough for Jamaica.

Arriola and Hoppe is encouraging.

Qatar and Mexico?  TBD

What I've seen of both this tourney...Mex >>>>>> cutter
Qatar has been great going forward, but has made a ton of defensive mistakes.

A team that's tight at the back might not find them as much of a challenge as the ~minnows they've played so far.

Right now I'd lump the US, Qatar and Canada into a bunched tier behind Mexico.

Qatar has been great going forward, but has made a ton of defensive mistakes.

A team that's tight at the back might not find them as much of a challenge as the ~minnows they've played so far.

Right now I'd lump the US, Qatar and Canada into a bunched tier behind Mexico.
And tbh, Mex's only problem has been putting the ball in the net. They've controlled all their games, not been troubled much at all, and have created a ton of chances. We've been talking about them as if they've sucked here, where really they just have been wasteful. Qatar has done well finishing their chances, but haven't looked dominant.

And tbh, Mex's only problem has been putting the ball in the net. They've controlled all their games, not been troubled much at all, and have created a ton of chances. We've been talking about them as if they've sucked here, where really they just have been wasteful. Qatar has done well finishing their chances, but haven't looked dominant.
Mexico was outplayed by ELS imo, but other than that, I agree their problem has just been taking advantage of their strong possession and attacking play.

I agree at this point its Mexico and every one else.

And again, I know every fanbase loves to hammer the manager, but IMO Berhalter consistently gets way more right than wrong when it matters.  Lands dual nats, gives new guys chances, keeps the right players in the pool during callups and IMO the players seem to know what he wants from them in our base lineups.  

Canada is the aberration so far, but it's kind of a one-off too.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
And again, I know every fanbase loves to hammer the manager, but IMO Berhalter consistently gets way more right than wrong when it matters.  Lands dual nats, gives new guys chances, keeps the right players in the pool during callups and IMO the players seem to know what he wants from them in our base lineups.  

Canada is the aberration so far, but it's kind of a one-off too.

As a non-educated soccer fan, this sticks out as one of his biggest strengths to me.(along with the recruiting)  Klinsman seemed intent on constantly putting guys in tough spots where they weren't sure of their role. IMO, Greg doesn't do that. Whether you like the system or not, the players know their jobs.

His biggest weakness is clearly loyalty to guys whose skill set doesn't justify it. But it hasn't hurt the US in a truly meaningful game yet. Assuming he has the full A team available, I'm confident he'll roll out the correct starting 11 come September.

There may be 1 or 2 "WTF?" selections in the 23 man roster (and possibly some head scratching subs) but he's not gonna pull some BS like Klins did against Mexico in Columbus (basically forcing an on-field mutiny because he'd forced a formation/strategy that was getting us torn to pieces in a home qualifier)

Busio, Acosta and Dike all have to play better than against Canada for the US to win this game IMO.

Interestingly, these are 3 players that will be in the discussion for a spot on the 23 man qualifying teams so a good showing here against a perfect ocho opponent would really help their case to be included.

Busio, Acosta and Dike all have to play better than against Canada for the US to win this game IMO.

Interestingly, these are 3 players that will be in the discussion for a spot on the 23 man qualifying teams so a good showing here against a perfect ocho opponent would really help their case to be included.
Dike will imho, busio is the biggest question mark for me.

Users who are viewing this thread