What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

​⚽ OFFICIAL GOLD CUP THREAD: United States Beats Mexico. Again. ⚽ (2 Viewers)

Oof Canada standing around and almost gave up another on a break (aided by Martinique dude able to just pull down a Canada dude with no call).

And...it's now 3-1 Canada.

This group will be ugly since group winner probably avoids Mexico untip the final so the GDs will be nuts.

But at least Martinique is fun bad.  They push forward a lot.

-QG

There should be some big numbers in the group stage, which makes Mexico's 0-0 draw all the more head scratching.
man, did the books clean up on that - wow 👏

US of A is laying 2.5 to Haiti later on ... do the Haitians draw on the latest political unrest to dig deep enough to make a decent showing? 

or is this heading for a 5-0 kinda tilt?

man, did the books clean up on that - wow 👏

US of A is laying 2.5 to Haiti later on ... do the Haitians draw on the latest political unrest to dig deep enough to make a decent showing? 

or is this heading for a 5-0 kinda tilt?
The last time we played Haiti in the Gold Cup was 2015 and they came to play.  They lost 1-0 but easily outplayed the US that day (which was retrospectively the beginning of the downfall for JK, we just didn't know it then).

With the Covid out break in their team, I have no idea how they will approach this game.

Yueill and Lewis in the starting lineup.  Bonus of Shaq Moore at RB (which I wouldn't have called in a million years).

Edit:

Turner

Moore  Zimmerman Robinson Vines

Yueill

Lletget                 Acosta

Arriola         Zardes      Lewis  

Last edited by a moderator:
Yueill and Lewis in the starting lineup.  Bonus of Shaq Moore at RB (which I wouldn't have called in a million years).

Edit:

Turner

Yueill

No.

Edit:

Turner

Yueill

This is just absurd. WTF does this accomplish?

Still no excuses for me though, no matter what this line up looks like.    More goals than Mexico scored is the lowest I will accept  :)

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing to look for early to see how well Haiti prepared for this game is how they mark Yueill. 

Every team in Olympic qualifying took him out of his game easily by simply placing a player near him.  If we see Yueill have acres of free space to look up and hit what he wants, we know Haiti really did zero scouting.

I am a little bummed that Lewis, Yueill and Vines were core members of the Olympic failure and instead of looking else where, GGG is just continuing to give them chances.  Granted Vines was not horrible mind you in qualifying but it is still a head scratcher when so many other MLS players are having strong seasons.

You see him pick this lineup and it shows he will be stubborn moving forward when it comes to lineups. We already saw glimpses of it with Lletget getting start after start after start. Luckily our quality otherwise makes the lineup easy to pick for most spots, but the fact Yueill is still here AND starting after what just happened, well, it's just going to be an issue for however long he's in charge.

You see him pick this lineup and it shows he will be stubborn moving forward when it comes to lineups. We already saw glimpses of it with Lletget getting start after start after start. Luckily our quality otherwise makes the lineup easy to pick for most spots, but the fact Yueill is still here AND starting after what just happened, well, it's just going to be an issue for however long he's in charge.
it is strange though because he realized his mistake with Yueill in nations league and made the change at that time.  

I will never understand why certain coaches are attracted to certain players no matter how they perform.  Look at Immobile for Mancini for an example

This might be the reason I am not a GGG fan more than any other.  He is a chicken#### coward.  We know exactly what this team will bring and it's ####ty B- soccer at its best.  Playing this lineup will in no way move our program forward and even worse, we'll be left in exactly the same spot in 2 months come WCQ.... without knowing exactly what the second tier of young players are capable of doing for us and whether they deserve a spot on the top 23.

Put me in the camp of letting this tournament play out before freaking out over one lineup. 

Willing to bet we see more and more of guys like Busio and Williamson as this tournament goes on. 

so I just tuned in to the pregame.  I only caught the end of what they were saying but I think they were saying Dike is not fit enough to play the whole tournament and the choice tonight to start Zardes was one of load management....

I may have misinterpreted the ending though..

Put me in the camp of letting this tournament play out before freaking out over one lineup. 

Willing to bet we see more and more of guys like Busio and Williamson as this tournament goes on. 
I am expecting many changes as the tournament moves forward.  

Players I AM excited to see that made the 11......   

Turner.  Need to see if he's hands down the #2.

Miles Robinson.  At least one young untested guy will get a chance to show he's top 23 material.

Zimmerman.  I feel like he's going to be one of the top 4 CBs this cycle, but need to see him in some pressure situations to make sure.

Arriola.  Yes, we've seen him before, but peak Arriola could be a bottom of the 23 guy.  Need to see how he's recovered.

That's about it.  Moore isn't going to be a top 3 RB IMO, but it'll be fun to see how he's developed the last few years and Zardes will be fun for the potential memes, but none of the rest of the starting team excites me.

I have nothing against MLS players obviously, but I do strong believe that even at this depth level we want to have players who are not only full time starters but also playing extremely well in the league.

Lewis does not even start for Colorado.  Now it is fair that Clark just had surgery but that does not explain Lewis over Cowell or Mueller both of whom are in form.

I hope Lewis plays fairly well because USMNT cyber space is going to get ugly I fear if he doesn't.

Players I AM excited to see that made the 11......   

Turner.  Need to see if he's hands down the #2.

Miles Robinson.  At least one young untested guy will get a chance to show he's top 23 material.

Zimmerman.  I feel like he's going to be one of the top 4 CBs this cycle, but need to see him in some pressure situations to make sure.

Arriola.  Yes, we've seen him before, but peak Arriola could be a bottom of the 23 guy.  Need to see how he's recovered.

That's about it.  Moore isn't going to be a top 3 RB IMO, but it'll be fun to see how he's developed the last few years and Zardes will be fun for the potential memes, but none of the rest of the starting team excites me.
Lletget does not excite me but he is absolutely going to play in the qualifiers, and might even start given GGG's history with him.  So I will be watching him closely as well.

I have nothing against MLS players obviously, but I do strong believe that even at this depth level we want to have players who are not only full time starters but also playing extremely well in the league.

Lewis does not even start for Colorado.  Now it is fair that Clark just had surgery but that does not explain Lewis over Cowell or Mueller both of whom are in form.

I hope Lewis plays fairly well because USMNT cyber space is going to get ugly I fear if he doesn't.
Lewis shouldn’t be here in the first place and the fact he’s starting adds insult to injury…coupled with the fact, GGG only has one formation he ever plays.  

Users who are viewing this thread