What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

​⚽ OFFICIAL GOLD CUP THREAD: United States Beats Mexico. Again. ⚽ (2 Viewers)

Here is Sciaretta's excellent breakdown of the game

http://www.americansoccernow.com/articles/analysis-usmnt-begins-gold-cup-with-lackluster-1-0-win-vs-haiti

I agree with almost every player rating.  To no ones shock, Yueill and Lewis rated out the lowest.
thanks for posting, and agree that the ratings are fair.  I'm a huge believer in Dike and in general don't like ratings for players that get limited minutes/touches but for the most part this seems like a fair summary and what many have already stated in this thread...we are quite the astute bunch IMHO.

Thoughts I had about last night:

--Zim got forward a lot further than I'm used to seeing, and at least once he left himself in a precarious spot where Haiti could have quickly countered and left him in the dust.

--Other than having a Zardesesque assist, what did he really do that Sargent wouldn't have done?  Not bashing either player, more a thought that either the coaches don't know how to use strikers, or maybe Zardes and Sargent, while definitely having different skills, are actually close in usefulness.

--Having Dike and Zardes on together was weird.  Full credit to Zardes for giving it a go, but the setup didn't do either one any favors. Not sure why Dike was dribbling in the middle of the field in their own half, and no surprise it didn't work out too well for him.

--When Busio came on, they mounted an attack or two up the middle, and I seem to remember all their attacks when Yueill was in there went up the sides, further reinforcing the thought that he is not good enough at this level. To me, if they don't trust him to direct the MF against a relative minnow like Haiti, which team will they face that they'll trust him against?

--Sad to see Lewis' injury slowed his development. He looked out of his depth.
Agree with most of these, but the Zardes one I disagree with completely.  Zardes was making great runs all night long, but we didn't have any attackers in the game with him that could make use of it.

Lewis, on multiple occasions, was in a position to put in a good cross/pass to the middle and just didn't do it.  Twice in that position he tried to dribble it into the box and was dispossessed and 3-4 times in great position he passed back for reasons unknown.  Gioacchini was slightly better.  He put in two crosses that were just out of reach of Zardes, but other than that, he was quiet and  had a below average game.

Sargent, on the other hand, had Pulisic and Gio with him all game and yet never seemed to find himself opening up in the middle.  When he did, he got excellent service and either botched it or put a weak shot on net.  I absolutely want to see Zardes with Pulisic and Gio before I claim he's no better than Sarge in that role, because I think the difference between the two will be obvious.

Agree with most of these, but the Zardes one I disagree with completely.  Zardes was making great runs all night long, but we didn't have any attackers in the game with him that could make use of it.

Lewis, on multiple occasions, was in a position to put in a good cross/pass to the middle and just didn't do it.  Twice in that position he tried to dribble it into the box and was dispossessed and 3-4 times in great position he passed back for reasons unknown.  Gioacchini was slightly better.  He put in two crosses that were just out of reach of Zardes, but other than that, he was quiet and  had a below average game.

Sargent, on the other hand, had Pulisic and Gio with him all game and yet never seemed to find himself opening up in the middle.  When he did, he got excellent service and either botched it or put a weak shot on net.  I absolutely want to see Zardes with Pulisic and Gio before I claim he's no better than Sarge in that role, because I think the difference between the two will be obvious.
Fair enough point about the supporting cast.

So this may be a long shot but if Zimmerman has a strong tournament, does he put himself in the spot of being a starter next to Brooks in qualifying?

GGG appears to have a predisposition to using players he has worked with before, which might make it harder for some one like Richards to get his chance.

With Long hurt, that likely leaves it between McKenzie and Zimmerman...

With Zardes getting his assist last night, he entered the club of double digit assists and goals as a USMNT player.  Here is the full list in order of how few games it took them to accomplish:

Landon Donovan

Gyasi Zardes

Joe-Max Moore

DaMarcus Beasley

Eddie Lewis
Clint Dempsey
Eric Wynalda
Brian McBride
Michael Bradley
Jozy Altidore
Earnie Stewart
Cobi Jones

With Zardes getting his assist last night, he entered the club of double digit assists and goals as a USMNT player.  Here is the full list in order of how few games it took them to accomplish:

Landon Donovan

Gyasi Zardes

Joe-Max Moore

DaMarcus Beasley

Eddie Lewis
Clint Dempsey
Eric Wynalda
Brian McBride
Michael Bradley
Jozy Altidore
Earnie Stewart
Cobi Jones
Pulisic needs one more assist to join the club. 

Donovan was the fastest and youngest to do so, at 50 caps.

Pulisic won't beat Donovan's age, but he can smash the cap number as he is only on 38 if he gets an assist early in qualifying.

Landon Donovan

Gyasi Zardes

Joe-Max Moore

DaMarcus Beasley

Eddie Lewis
Clint Dempsey
Eric Wynalda
Brian McBride
Michael Bradley
Jozy Altidore
Earnie Stewart
Cobi Jones
That's pretty amazing.  Didn't realize he had so many assists.

Pulisic has 9 in 38 games so far for those wondering.  If he gets an assist in the next 11 games he'll be the fastest USMNT player to double digit assists and goals.

Paul Carr

@PaulCarr

With last night's win vs Haiti, the #USMNT has won 11 straight games vs CONCACAF teams, the longest win streak in team history
I was thinking more about this. 

This streak has to be greatly influenced by Covid because we have gone so long with out having to play away in another Concacaf country.  We have played a couple on neutral ground but that is not the same thing.

How can all of football world know that Lewis and Yueill suck, and GGG not know that?  Half of us called out his mistakes prior to the game.

It is so frustrating.

On a different but related note, even our B team should have looked better vs. Haiti MHO...overall I thought this was a disappointing effort.

On the bright side, I think a few things that all of us know regarding personnel smacked GGG upside the head...so hopefully that will make GGG's personnel decisions better in the future.  
Eta.... Completely agree that the B team looked comparable to Haiti, and in no way their superior. Now, Haiti has been pretty decent...but i agree- I hope/expect more from the next 11 for the US.

Thoughts I had about last night:

--Zim got forward a lot further than I'm used to seeing, and at least once he left himself in a precarious spot where Haiti could have quickly countered and left him in the dust.

--Other than having a Zardesesque assist, what did he really do that Sargent wouldn't have done?  Not bashing either player, more a thought that either the coaches don't know how to use strikers, or maybe Zardes and Sargent, while definitely having different skills, are actually close in usefulness.

--Having Dike and Zardes on together was weird.  Full credit to Zardes for giving it a go, but the setup didn't do either one any favors. Not sure why Dike was dribbling in the middle of the field in their own half, and no surprise it didn't work out too well for him.

--When Busio came on, they mounted an attack or two up the middle, and I seem to remember all their attacks when Yueill was in there went up the sides, further reinforcing the thought that he is not good enough at this level. To me, if they don't trust him to direct the MF against a relative minnow like Haiti, which team will they face that they'll trust him against?

--Sad to see Lewis' injury slowed his development. He looked out of his depth.
Re Zardes...looks like it got covered. But Sarge just isnt winning any balls that require a small run. Always second best. Look at Haitis #9 as a guy eho kept showing and winning the few balls they played to him. Zardes too does a better job of getting there to receive/win the ball, even if his skills aren't the level of Sarge's. If Sarge cant win the balls hes supposed to be winning showing back or moving across the box, somebody else needs to be in there.

I thought Lletget had a quiet but very efficient offensive game.  He was an impressive 69 for 69 in passing and had 4 key passes including that one he crossed perfectly to Gioachinni that he missed the header on.
I think Lletget improved with Busio and Haiti changing their shape to push players higher up the field to chase a goal. Before that I didnt even know he was playing- didnt rise to the level of play at all (haiti...not exactly WC level), imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eta.... Completely agree that the B team looked comparable to Haiti, and in no way their superior. Now, Haiti has been pretty decent...but i agree- I hope/expect more from the next 11 for the US.

Re Zardes...looks like it got covered. But Sarge just isnt winning any balls that require a small run. Always second best. Look at Haitis #9 as a guy eho kept showing and winning the few balls they played to him. Zardes too does a better job of getting there to receive/win the ball, even if his skills aren't the level of Sarge's. If Sarge cant win the balls hes supposed to be winning showing back or moving across the box, somebody else needs to be in there.

I think Lletget improved with Busio and Haiti changing their shape to push players higher up the field to chase a goal. Before that I didnt even know he was playing- didnt rise to the level of play at all (haiti...not exactly WC level), imo.
Re: Lletget, I think his early lack of involvement was more due to Yueill than him. Everything was working outside then in. There was no connection in the middle of the field, IMO.

Re: Lletget, I think his early lack of involvement was more due to Yueill than him. Everything was working outside then in. There was no connection in the middle of the field, IMO.
Some of that has to be on GGG as well.  The entire reason he likes Yueill is for his diagonal passing.  He almost never plays a line breaking pass straight ahead and GGG likely encourgaes him to hit it long and wide.

Not only was his accuracy off last night, when he did find some one with a long pass, it was falling to Lewis, who had a very poor game.

It was a clear difference in style when Busio subbed in.

Dodnt disagree, but imo Yueill was playing wide because nothing was on in the middle, and Lletget wasnt exactly coming free. Again, fwiw, Haiti appeared to change their shape which opened up the middle. While Busio/no-Yueill may have made a difference here, i still think that tactical shift helped him more.

Dodnt disagree, but imo Yueill was playing wide because nothing was on in the middle, and Lletget wasnt exactly coming free. Again, fwiw, Haiti appeared to change their shape which opened up the middle. While Busio/no-Yueill may have made a difference here, i still think that tactical shift helped him more.
Busio worked well because Sands and him understood the movements to break the press and were willing to take those chances.  Yueill simply doesn't.  I don't really care about results in this tourney, besides to say GGG has to test out the young kids and see if any of them can slot into spots 14 to 23 on the qualifying roster or if any can be WC-starters in 15 months (which should be the main goal).  Playing along the margins doesn't improve the top-end of this team and coupled with the lack of wingers; why he really should jest play a 3-5-2 the rest of the way.  Figure out which of the three is the best CB.  Figure out if Busio enough defensive chops.  I think the forward competition is sort of blown at this point with the lack of wings if he's wedded to a 4-3-3 in qualifying.  

At least he didn't blow anything out

===================

Steven Goff

@SoccerInsider

On a brighter note, Paul Arriola, who left the USMNT match in first half Sunday, is apparently doing fine. He experienced tightness but is not injured, DCU officials say. He'll remain with national team.

At least he didn't blow anything out

===================

Steven Goff

@SoccerInsider

On a brighter note, Paul Arriola, who left the USMNT match in first half Sunday, is apparently doing fine. He experienced tightness but is not injured, DCU officials say. He'll remain with national team.
I have a feeling that he's been coached in much the same way Pulisic was for Chelsea.... if you feel any tightness or weirdness you're coming off.  Not taking any chances with reinjury.

Does anybody have a quick summary of which countries are bringing their A-ish squads?
I only know the US, Canada, and Mexico well enough to say for sure.

Mexico very close to A squad

Canada is missing two regular players but it is by far and away their two best players.

I would guess most of the minnows are at close to full strength though.   Haiti has Covid issues.

I am pretty sure Jamaica did not land most of their dual nats they were hoping for but those players were not regulars by definition.

I recognize many names on Honduras and CR but don't know them well enough to see off the top of my head who they might be missing outside of Navas.

I know nothing about Qatar but it only makes sense that this is their A squad.

While the crowd was not exceptionally big in KC, I thought it was really cool how invested they were in every touch Busio made.  It would have been awesome if the rocket he hit found the back of the net...

I have a feeling that he's been coached in much the same way Pulisic was for Chelsea.... if you feel any tightness or weirdness you're coming off.  Not taking any chances with reinjury.
I've never seen it confirmed, but I think Liverpool coaches all players to do this as a rule.  Lost count of the times guys come off and aren't really injured.  Makes sense.

I've never seen it confirmed, but I think Liverpool coaches all players to do this as a rule.  Lost count of the times guys come of and aren't really injured.  Makes sense.
I agree it makes sense even when just beam counting.

You lose ~60ish minutes of a single game but could save missing 3+ weeks if it pops.  Seems well worth it in the risk reward category.

Doyle's write up is good (i.e. agrees with me almost across the board). :)

One thing he calls out that I didn't notice live was Sands influence on the game.  Suggests he and Busio are what solidified things.

He also credits Turner's long-range passing, but that's just stanning IMO - he pretty plainly struggled with the ball.

NewlyRetired said:
His long range passing was very good IMO.  It was his initial ball control that was not good IMO.
Under pressure he was awful. Amd yeah, poor ball skills.

But ok- not under pressure he was fine.

oh that will show them Concacaf.   Could this statement be any weaker?????????????

=============================

Concacaf is extremely disappointed at the discriminatory language chanted by some Mexico fans during their Gold Cup match against Trinidad and Tobago at AT&T Stadium on Saturday, July 10. The “goalkeeper chant” was heard despite a significant Concacaf antidiscrimination campaign delivered in recent weeks and extensive efforts by the FMF to make clear that it is unacceptable.

Discriminatory chanting was also heard during a Mexico friendly game at the same venue in May. The fans who engage in this behavior are letting down the many Mexico fans who want to positively support their team. They also hurt the great reputation of Dallas as a football city, particularly after recent Mexico friendly games took place in Atlanta, Nashville and Los Angeles without any discriminatory chanting.

Concacaf is aware of a misunderstanding regarding the upcoming Mexico v Guatemala match which we would like to clarify. Despite some reports to the contrary, this match will go ahead as scheduled with fans in attendance. Concacaf will continue to operate its What’s Wrong Is Wrong antidiscrimination campaign and, should it be necessary, will activate protocols which include ejecting fans if they engage in discriminatory behavior and suspending the match.

We urge fans to leave the discriminatory goalkeeper chant in the past and to focus on making football a positive and welcoming environment for all fans and communities.

I like how one of the dudes on Panama plays for a team in the Bolivian Premier League named Always Ready. What I really like, however, is that Always Ready is not anywhere near the best team name in the Bolivian Premier League.

Users who are viewing this thread