What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Your PSA For The Day - Fire Safety..errrr....Tacos (1 Viewer)

ChiefD

Footballguy
A neighbor's house caught on fire this week. Luckily they weren't home and the fire was a small one, so no major damage to their home. But it got me thinking about fire safety and smoke alarms in our home.

We already have an escape plan we have gone over and practiced with the kids. But I started thinking about the smoke alarms in the house. They were installed by me 10 years ago.

Average life span of a smoke alarm is 8-10. Threw them all away today and replaced them with smoke alarms that have a 10 year lithium battery in them.

Home Depot has a three pack for $50. I have an older home, so these are not wired smoke detectors. But the same 8-10 rule applies to those as well.

If you haven't changed them in awhile or have never changed them out, start thinking about it.

Have a great day ladies and gents. :banned:

Last edited by a moderator:
That's good advice.  We replaced all of our smoke detectors about 2 years ago.  Better safe than sorry. 

I was cleaning out under the kitchen sink a few months ago, and just happened to take a look at our fire extinguisher.  Disposable ones have a life expectancy of about 10-12 years.  Ours was from when we first bought our house in 2003, so I replaced those as well (kitchen, garage, basement).   Don't forget to check your extinguishers too. 

That's good advice.  We replaced all of our smoke detectors about 2 years ago.  Better safe than sorry. 

I was cleaning out under the kitchen sink a few months ago, and just happened to take a look at our fire extinguisher.  Disposable ones have a life expectancy of about 10-12 years.  Ours was from when we first bought our house in 2003, so I replaced those as well (kitchen, garage, basement).   Don't forget to check your extinguishers too. 
Good call.

I did this about 3-4 months ago. The one in our kitchen cabinet was from the 70's. :lol:

Bought one for our kitchen, basement, and our master bedroom. All of our bedrooms are on a second floor so I figured it would be good to have one up there in case we got trapped.

The fire alarms can come later, who in their right mind prefers cold cheese on their taco?  Put the cheese on your taco first, in the bottom of the shell.  Then the meat on top of it so that it helps melt the cheese.  Meat and cheese go together, not cheese and cold lettuce.  Silly Latinos.

How/where do you get rid of them?

Disposal of stuff is another PSA.

And to think I ripped all of ours from the ceiling about 6 years ago because one would go off while my wife was cooking, then it would talk to all the others and everything would go off throughout the house.  Just replaced all of them now that we're getting ready to put the house on the market.  

The fire alarms can come later, who in their right mind prefers cold cheese on their taco?  Put the cheese on your taco first, in the bottom of the shell.  Then the meat on top of it so that it helps melt the cheese.  Meat and cheese go together, not cheese and cold lettuce.  Silly Latinos.
This is how I build my tacos. My kids do too.

Every taco joint needs to do this so the meat doesn’t soften the crunchy shell. The cheese is a nice barrier.  Especially for take out or fast food.

Honestly, they are still sitting in my garage.  :whistle:

Need to see if our county dump/hazardous waste program will take them, but I haven't made the call yet.  I have read though, that you can release the pressure from them, and then when you are sure all the pressure has been released, they can be placed in the trash.  YMMV.  A call to your local garbage company or fire dept to verify is probably the way to go. 

Every taco joint needs to do this so the meat doesn’t soften the crunchy shell. The cheese is a nice barrier.  Especially for take out or fast food.
I didn't think about that part, good point.  I guess I'm more a flour guy but both me and Leroy Hoard will take any taco we can get, any day of the week.

Nice to hear you're teaching your children well.

You build a fire in the backyard, drink some beers, and see if it still works at the end of the night. Then you throw the canister away.

I assume this is what the rest of you men do too?

Have a kitchen-specific extinguisher and another all purpose one for other areas of the house. Both are less than 5 years old. We also have wired smoke detectors with battery backups (I think 5/6 are brand new). The batteries in all of them are replaced every 6 months. The Wyze cams I have around the house also pick up sound for smoke/CO2 detectors as part of their motion detection setup so I would get an alert if one of them was chirping while away.

We have wired smoke detectors, and I just changed the backup batteries two days ago.  We moved into this house about 5 years ago, and still have the smoke detectors that came with the house.  I don't know how long they have been installed, and I should probably replace them just to be sure.

You build a fire in the backyard, drink some beers, and see if it still works at the end of the night. Then you throw the canister away.

I assume this is what the rest of you men do too?
I would say, let your kids try them out.  No sense in having them around if everyone doesn't know how to actually use them.  Sure you can tell them "pull the pin, aim and squeeze" but why not let them use up the old ones in the backyard so they know exactly what they are doing if needed.  Build a fire, and at a random point start yelling at them to put it out, see how they perform under pressure.

I would say, let your kids try them out.  No sense in having them around if everyone doesn't know how to actually use them.  Sure you can tell them "pull the pin, aim and squeeze" but why not let them use up the old ones in the backyard so they know exactly what they are doing if needed.  Build a fire, and at a random point start yelling at them to put it out, see how they perform under pressure.
Before that, you could hide it in the backyard, then when in the yard with the kids …face away from them, tell them you need to fart, and shoot it off between your legs.  Hilarity ensues.

Cheese and lettuce don't belong on a real taco. :tacosnob:  :pokey:

So....the cheese goes first.... :o

I lay down a bottom layer of guacamole first, then cheese then meat. Bottom does not get soggy. Guac & cheese must be room temperature not cold.

ETA: Good PSA @ChiefD. I'm going to replace my detectors.

I prefer the cheese on top.  I don't want it melted into the meat.  If that is the goal, I would use queso.

Leroy Hoard said:
Fish and shrimp tacos are great. But please excuse me for subbing lettuce for cabbage.
I'll go even further, lettuce on any handheld is inferior to a cabbage/sauerkraut option.

I prefer a nice consistent layer of sour cream, then cheese, then meat, then toppings. 

E-Z Glider said:
OMG, please tell me your not putting cheese on a shrimp taco. We've got to draw the line somewhere.  :o
OMG please tell me you're not anti-cheese.

OMG please tell me you didn't change your avatar after all these years.

E-Z Glider said:
OMG, please tell me your not putting cheese on a shrimp taco. We've got to draw the line somewhere.  :o
Queso fresco.  With some cabbage and aioli.  It rocks.

But not on the cajun shrimp taco.  A little bit of cajun magic there.

OMG please tell me you're not anti-cheese.

OMG please tell me you didn't change your avatar after all these years.
Anti cheese on seafood for sure. I’ll occasionally crumble a little cojita on a carne asada though.

Joe requested the avatar change.  :cry:

Users who are viewing this thread