What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cuba sees biggest protests against Communist government in decades - BBC News (1 Viewer)

The Commish

Footballguy
Apologize for the link to YouTube, but this is a huge topic and it's easier to post the video rather than text of the issue.  These kinds of protests haven't been seen in at least three decades and the people appear to be fed up.  The people of the country are divided (status quo vs change).  Popped up on my radar because of protests here in Florida showing support (which caught me by surprise).

Link

Apologize for the link to YouTube, but this is a huge topic and it's easier to post the video rather than text of the issue.  These kinds of protests haven't been seen in at least three decades and the people appear to be fed up.  The people of the country are divided (status quo vs change).  Popped up on my radar because of protests here in Florida showing support (which caught me by surprise).

Link
The white house says the protests are about covid.

We stand with the Cuban people and their clarion call for freedom and relief from the tragic grip of the pandemic and from the decades of repression and economic suffering to which they have been subjected by Cuba’s authoritarian regime. The Cuban people are bravely asserting fundamental and universal rights. Those rights, including the right of peaceful protest and the right to freely determine their own future, must be respected. The United States calls on the Cuban regime to hear their people and serve their needs at this vital moment rather than enriching themselves.

They NY Times didn't call it anti-dictatorship.
Ok....their government is a dictatorship.  Can you explain the meaningful difference you see or better yet, what you thought the relevance was of your initial post?  I couldn't care less what our media is saying about it but it seems that you do.  My opinion of that enterprise is widely documented on this site.

The upstanding NY Times claims that the protestors are shouting "anti government" slogans for yelling "Freedom". 

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1414550121795162112
Shouting “Freedom” and other anti-government slogans, hundreds of Cubans took to the streets in cities around the country on Sunday to protest food and medicine shortages, in a remarkable eruption of discontent not seen in nearly 30 years.

What exactly is your issue with what they wrote?

Shouting “Freedom” and other anti-government slogans, hundreds of Cubans took to the streets in cities around the country on Sunday to protest food and medicine shortages, in a remarkable eruption of discontent not seen in nearly 30 years.

What exactly is your issue with what they wrote?
Yeah that was pretty spot on actually.

Most Cubans in Miami are pessimistic about change. They say the protesters have no weapons and want the US to intervene.  Not a good idea, IMO. Rubio says "President" Juan Guido is being abducted, and this is tied to the Cuban protests. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/MarcoRubio

Last edited by a moderator:
Most Cubans in Miami are pessimistic about change. They say the protesters have no weapons and want the US to intervene.  Not a good idea, IMO. Rubio says "President" Juan Guido is being abducted, and this is tied to the Cuban protests. 

I agree we don't need to intervene militarily, but diplomatically we need to support them.  Ultimately it's up to the people within their own nation to determine their fate.  This was always our problem in Afghanistan, we can't force our form of government or way of life on a country where the majority, or at least the majority willing to fight for it, don't agree with it.  It appears that in Cuba the tide may be turning on the regime, but it's impossible to know for sure.

Can you describe the arguments being made in your area?  All I have to go by is what I read from my wife's family and friends on SM and they are ALL OVER the place.  A bunch are pissed at Biden for the sanctions placed on Cuba by the previous administration (who they voted for by the way).  Others are saying that the Cuban citizens need to handle this themselves (but how does one do that in a dictatorship) and then others say more progress was made when sanctions were lifted under Obama and people got a taste of what it was like to have money in their pockets and what we are seeing today has been bubbling just under the surface ever since.  I have no idea which narratives are true....maybe a bit of all of them?

I agree we don't need to intervene militarily, but diplomatically we need to support them.  Ultimately it's up to the people within their own nation to determine their fate.  This was always our problem in Afghanistan, we can't force our form of government or way of life on a country where the majority, or at least the majority willing to fight for it, don't agree with it.  It appears that in Cuba the tide may be turning on the regime, but it's impossible to know for sure.
Unless we want to green light China in Taiwan.   Moving militarily is a no go.

if the past is any indication those thousand protesters will not be in public very long.  Cuba/Castro picked Russia over the USA.  Bad choice for the people, good choice for Castro & his henchmen.  Some in our political world still fawn over Castro.

Biden and Psaki doing all sorts of contortions to avoid using the word “Communism”.  Psaki preferred to call it “economic mismanagement”. And where is Bernie?  AOC?

Can you describe the arguments being made in your area?  All I have to go by is what I read from my wife's family and friends on SM and they are ALL OVER the place.  A bunch are pissed at Biden for the sanctions placed on Cuba by the previous administration (who they voted for by the way).  Others are saying that the Cuban citizens need to handle this themselves (but how does one do that in a dictatorship) and then others say more progress was made when sanctions were lifted under Obama and people got a taste of what it was like to have money in their pockets and what we are seeing today has been bubbling just under the surface ever since.  I have no idea which narratives are true....maybe a bit of all of them?
In Miami, the arguments are also all over the place. Obama receive a record percentage of Cuban votes for a Democrat in 2008, and was almost 50-50 in 2012.  His big mistake was mostly optics - attending and being photographed at a baseball game with Raul Castro soon after the terrorist attack in Brussels. In 2012, most Cubans favored ending the embargo (for the first time ever), but now a majority of  Cubans have reverted to favoring the embargo.

Some are looking at this through a political lense, but Reagan, the Bushes, and Trump couldn't change Cuba, so most Cubans are skeptical that things will change.  This might be different,  COVID made the economic challenges worse than almost ever. 

It's a little shocking for me that it's hard at all politically to come out in support of the Cuban people and against the regime.  Our politics at home have gotten really messed up.  It's like every issue now has a side and there is no absolute right/wrong anymore.  I've been hopeful in the past though about the Cuban regime collapsing and it's yet to occur so I'll be pessimistic until it does.

It's a little shocking for me that it's hard at all politically to come out in support of the Cuban people and against the regime.  Our politics at home have gotten really messed up.  It's like every issue now has a side and there is no absolute right/wrong anymore.  I've been hopeful in the past though about the Cuban regime collapsing and it's yet to occur so I'll be pessimistic until it does.
I  can't say I disagree.  I have extended family arguing that the borders need to be completely sealed.  That's not all that bizarre of a position until I'm reminded that they are direct benefactors and IN this country because they weren't sealed.  "Sides" have let what I thought were rational people completely rot their brains.  And best I can tell, none of them actually see the error in their logic.  Now I have a bunch of them pissed at Biden for the sanctions that the Trump admin put on Cuba after THEY voted for Trump so he'd impose those very sanctions :loco:  

I'm at a point where I've stopped trying to read the room on this side of the border.  I'm more interested in what the people in Cuba are saying, but they don't seem to be THAT much more logical.  It's crazy times for sure.

ekbeats said:
Biden and Psaki doing all sorts of contortions to avoid using the word “Communism”.  Psaki preferred to call it “economic mismanagement”. And where is Bernie?  AOC?
We stand with the Cuban people and their clarion call for freedom and relief from the tragic grip of the pandemic and from the decades of repression and economic suffering to which they have been subjected by Cuba's authoritarian regime

Your issue is that that he didn't use the word communism in this?

And Bernie said this

"All people have the right to protest and to live in a democratic society. I call on the Cuban government to respect opposition rights and refrain from violence. It's also long past time to end the unilateral U.S. embargo on Cuba, which has only hurt, not helped, the Cuban people," Sanders tweeted late Monday night.

We stand with the Cuban people and their clarion call for freedom and relief from the tragic grip of the pandemic and from the decades of repression and economic suffering to which they have been subjected by Cuba's authoritarian regime

It's a fair criticism.  All that repression, economic suffering, and authoritarianism didn't just materialize out of thin air.  It's the same kind of authoritarianism that's been associated with communism everywhere it was tried.  As the leader of the nation most responsible for defeating communism, and as somebody who himself was never really soft on communism, it's kind of odd for Biden to gloss over that point.  

Of course, this makes sense when you keep in mind that many people in the progressive movement have a strangely positive soft spot for Cuba, Castro, and affiliated folks like Che Guevara.  For example, consider Bernie Sanders . . . 

And Bernie said this

"All people have the right to protest and to live in a democratic society. I call on the Cuban government to respect opposition rights and refrain from violence. It's also long past time to end the unilateral U.S. embargo on Cuba, which has only hurt, not helped, the Cuban people," Sanders tweeted late Monday night.
Nice example here.  To Bernie, the problem is the US embargo, not Castro or communism.  Good catch.  

Nice example here.  To Bernie, the problem is the US embargo, not Castro or communism.  Good catch.  
You're glossing over "to live in a democratic society", no?

And his comment re: the embargo isn't wrong, is it?

This kind of feels like complaining just to complain.

It's not as if Bernie has a long pro-communist history or anything.
Right, that's kind of my point here.  Your complaint above feels more like "I don't like Bernie Sanders" than anything specific about the tweet in question.  Is there anything in that specific tweet that is incorrect, in your view?

Right, that's kind of my point here.  Your complaint above feels more like "I don't like Bernie Sanders" than anything specific about the tweet in question.  Is there anything in that specific tweet that is incorrect, in your view?
Do I really have to walk you through how "Actually, the real problem here is the US embargo" amounts to both deflection and whataboutism?  Particularly coming from a guy who has been openly sympathetic to Castro and similar leaders for 40+ years?

I would abolish economic sanctions on Cuba and pretty much everybody else tomorrow if I were King of these United States.  It would not occur to me to mention that in a three-sentence statement about the Cuban government oppressing its own people.  You know perfectly well that it wouldn't occur to you to do so either.

But Bernie is correct that the embargo is a failed policy in Cuba. 60+ years. The reversals under Obama gave thousands of entrepreneurs a glimpse of capitalism, per some of my Cuban friends who have relatives in Cuba that were involved in tourism. The embargo just gives the Cuban government the same old excuse. Embargos are generally an ineffective strategy whereever they've been tried. 

But Bernie is correct that the embargo is a failed policy in Cuba. 60+ years. The reversals under Obama gave thousands of entrepreneurs a glimpse of capitalism, per some of my Cuban friends who have relatives in Cuba that were involved in tourism. The embargo just gives the Cuban government the same old excuse. Embargos are generally an ineffective strategy whereever they've been tried. 
I agree.

I also agree that Trump really shouldn't have referred to covid-19 as the China virus.  I would not bother to mention that if I were giving a speech about the Tiananmen Square protests, and I would definitely side-eye anybody who made that the focus of their remarks.  You surely understand this.

Do I really have to walk you through how "Actually, the real problem here is the US embargo" amounts to both deflection and whataboutism?  Particularly coming from a guy who has been openly sympathetic to Castro and similar leaders for 40+ years?

I would abolish economic sanctions on Cuba and pretty much everybody else tomorrow if I were King of these United States.  It would not occur to me to mention that in a three-sentence statement about the Cuban government oppressing its own people.  You know perfectly well that it wouldn't occur to you to do so either.
I think you're trying too hard to find a complaint here.  Nowhere does it say "Actually, the real problem here".  He prefaces it with "Also, ...", as if a secondary point, separate from the first thought.  And let's face it, he's 100% correct about the embargo being bad policy.  More to the point, the US cannot wave a magic wand and change Cuba's government to "Democracy!", but we can end the embargo.  In other words, the one thing we can do to help the Cuban people, we aren't doing.  It's worth pointing out.

Well it’s not like I’m losing sleep over it.  But I do find it interesting that they have gone out of their way in the last few days to not call the regime what we’ve always called them - Communist.  There is a direct correlation between Communism and repression.  Why not call it out, if for no other reason than to reinforce that capitalism works far better?  

I think you're trying too hard to find a complaint here.  Nowhere does it say "Actually, the real problem here".  He prefaces it with "Also, ...", as if a secondary point, separate from the first thought.  And let's face it, he's 100% correct about the embargo being bad policy.  More to the point, the US cannot wave a magic wand and change Cuba's government to "Democracy!", but we can end the embargo.  In other words, the one thing we can do to help the Cuban people, we aren't doing.  It's worth pointing out.
We routinely criticize repressive behavior by other governments.  I wonder why that's so difficult for certain people on the left to do when it comes to Cuba.  One of life's great mysteries I guess. 

Just came in here to see what I expected to see.

Apologists trying to defend  the  tepid 'support' for people struggling for their freedom.

I'm confident we wouldn't have won our own freedom with attitudes like that.

Embarrassing.

Sad.

Also, Ivan more than holding his own against all of them  👍

Apologists trying to defend  the  tepid 'support' for people struggling for their freedom.

Embarrassing.

Sad.

@IvanKaramazov is cleaning up in here.  He's like the John Wick of the PSF.  Or the Mr. Nobody.

The amount of liberal bodies he leaves in his wake is staggering.  ;)

I wish I was 10% the skilled master he is.

Embarrassing.

Sad.

This porridge is too cold:  Biden didn't use the word "communism" even while calling the Cuban government repressive!  Sanders said we should end the embargo (a policy choice on which we all agree, by the way)!

This porridge is too hot:  The NYT said chants of "Freedom" are anti-government!

Yes, somehow "the left" is too strong and too weak at the same time.  If only we could find the porridge that's just right.  If someone on the right had issued the exact same statement as Biden you'd be cheering it and asking why Biden didn't say that.

This porridge is too cold:  Biden didn't use the word "communism" even while calling the Cuban government repressive!  Sanders said we should end the embargo (a policy choice on which we all agree, by the way)!

This porridge is too hot:  The NYT said chants of "Freedom" are anti-government!

Yes, somehow "the left" is too strong and too weak at the same time.  If only we could find the porridge that's just right.  If someone on the right had issued the exact same statement as Biden you'd be cheering it and asking why Biden didn't say that.
Problem is, the Left is pretty much empty on the topic of freedom.

So their efforts are the same.  

Hollow.

Forget about Bernie and AOC and their opposition to a failed 60 year embargo. Timing matters, deal with the embargo later. This is the verbal response that matters:

“The Cuban people are demanding their freedom from an authoritarian regime,” Biden told reporters Monday. “We call on the government of Cuba to refrain from violence in their attempt to silence the voices of the people of Cuba.”

In an earlier statement Monday, Biden said: “We stand with the Cuban people and their clarion call for freedom and relief from the tragic grip of the pandemic and from the decades of repression and economic suffering to which they have been subjected by Cuba's authoritarian regime.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/7939230002

So you have no criticism of the specific statements issued by anyone on the left in regard to this matter, just a general complaint that "the left is bad"?
I stand by my words.

Not yours.

Also, I've had the freedom to move past porridge as the meal of choice for decades now.

We can agree to disagree, I hope...

I stand by my words.

Not yours.

Also, I've had the freedom to move past porridge as the meal of choice for decades now.

We can agree to disagree, I hope...
Do you have any specific issues with any of the statements released by those on the left in regard to the recent protests in Cuba?

Good to see that DeSantis is in complete support of protesters in Cuba. But in Florida,  ....

His trip to Miami today in support of Cubans is a photo op. Come on Nikki, you can do it too.

So Obama pushes for more of an open relationship with Cuba....Trump reverses that.......Cubans come out against their oppressive government....Biden supports it....and Democrats are in the wrong?

"But it's true that All Lives Matter!  Why are people getting criticized for saying so?"

"But it's true that All Lives Matter!  Why are people getting criticized for saying so?"
Be honest.  If Trump had issued the exact same statement as Biden or Sanders, most of the people in here criticizing would be applauding it.  True or False?

You're not that group.  In all seriousness, I'm still struggling to understand what your criticism is, though.  Is it simply "Biden/Sanders should denounce communism"?

Is it simply "Biden/Sanders should denounce communism"?
Well, yeah.  If you're going to criticize a communist government for behaving the way all communist governments in human history have behaved, maybe it would be worth mentioning that communism isn't very good.

Edit: Or at least in the case of Sanders, we could refrain from Blaming America First.

Users who are viewing this thread