What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How are Fantasy Leagues handing the new 17 Game Season (1 Viewer)

I am going to have to write Zealots, where one of my main dynasty teams is at. There are, I think, huge bye issues in Week 14, so that would normally be a playoff game. No bueno. I'd imagine they'd have to lengthen the season to encompass Weeks 15, 16, and 17 as playoff weeks, but I've heard nothing. Also going to be tough to run the doubleheader week they run, which I think is usually Week 12, when the bye weeks were done.

Things are a lot different with the extension of the bye weeks in the season. I hope that's accurate and I'm not just worrying too much, but I think it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to have to write Zealots, where one of my main dynasty teams is at. There are, I think, huge bye issues in Week 14, so that would normally be a playoff game. No bueno. I'd imagine they'd have to lengthen the season to encompass Weeks 15, 16, and 17 as playoff weeks, but I've heard nothing. Also going to be tough to run the doubleheader week they run, which I think is usually Week 12, when the bye weeks were done.

Things are a lot different with the extension of the bye weeks in the season. I hope that's accurate and I'm not just worrying too much, but I think it is.
14 week schedule and no doubleheaders

14 week schedule and no doubleheaders
Oh, that's cool. I missed the memo. Totally didn't know. Thanks for posting.

That also makes a ton of sense. Still fourteen games, eliminate the minefield of Week 14 byes for two games that count. Good decision, IMO.

we've "agreed" upon week 5 being considered "week 1" of playoffs. 

eta: our playoffs is points based, not h2h

10 team h2h, 2 divisions. 
It was always 2 games against division, one against other division. We added a second game against same place finish from other division. 

Has anyone adjusted their league schedule yet or just going to leave it and wait and see how the players react
Just adding an extra week which works out perfectly for 12 team, 3 division leagues. Now you can play every out of division team once, instead of missing a team.

14 Team League (Dyn, but doesn't really matter for this discussion):

Week 1 - Total Points. Top 7 scorers get a W, bottom 7 scorers get a L. We did this because we felt Week 1 is unique in that it's when, by and large, everyone in the group ought to be at their most optimistic - every Team 'puts it's best foot forward', in terms of each Team's individual Dynasty goals for the Season, plus no Byes to contend with in Week 1.

Weeks 2-14, every Team plays every other Team 1 time, 13-game Regular Season, just like always, and no Bye Week unfairness issues. Everyone gets hit.

Weeks 15-17, Playoffs. Week 18, final week of NFL Season, nothing, just like always.

16 team league that I commish:

We used to have weeks 1-12 as regular season and 13-15 as playoffs, it was tidy as 6 teams made the playoffs with the 1's in each conf getting a bye week 13.

Once it went to 17 weeks, it was an opportunity to expand the playoffs to 10 of 16 teams (something the league members voted 14-2 to do) and doing so came up with a week 1-13 regular season, 2 Conferences of 8 teams (4 per Div). Play 2x each in your Div, 4 Cross Div games, 2 Cross Conf games (Strength of previous season 1's previous year play 1's, 2's vs 2's, ect.). As the 2021 schedule had already been done, added a week (week 10 games) just before the final 3 div games that end the regular season and matched up any teams that hadn't played the other in the previous 4 years we had been in existence and it matched perfectly all except 2 teams who have only played each other 1x. 

Week 14 a play-in WC round with #1-3 seeds in each conf on bye and #4 plays #5.

Week 15 Divisional round winner of 4/5 vs 1, 2 vs 3

Week 16 Conference championships.

Week 17 league Bowl.

As commish I am doing my level best to ignore the situation entirely. 

lol

my league went 14/1/1 and I don’t want a 2nd week of playoffs. So I imagine we’ll go 15/1/1, providing one more regular season game with that much more drama about which teams make the playoffs.

I’ll just let the league software randomize the schedule & divisors & whomever gets the extra matchups gets the extra matchups. It is what it is. I’m sure there will be whining about it by whomever has to play the 1-seed with their playoff lives on the line. Not my circus, not my monkeys. It is what it is. 

Week 1 - Total Points. Top 7 scorers get a W, bottom 7 scorers get a L. We did this because we felt Week 1 is unique in that it's when, by and large, everyone in the group ought to be at their most optimistic - every Team 'puts it's best foot forward', in terms of each Team's individual Dynasty goals for the Season, plus no Byes to contend with in Week 1.

Weeks 2-14, every Team plays every other Team 1 time, 13-game Regular Season, just like always, and no Bye Week unfairness issues. Everyone gets hit.

Weeks 15-17, Playoffs. Week 18, final week of NFL Season, nothing, just like always.
I've been trying to figure out the fairest way to handle our 14 team league, and I like your scenario. Thanks buddy!

Just ran this by my 14 team league and decided to go with it.  :thumbup:

There was another thread on this already that had some good suggestions and issue discussion.  If I get a chance I will try to search for it and link it here.  

This is a really creative and fair approach. I may suggest this, but knowing my league they’ll probably prefer just another H2H day.

But I do think it’s a great way to handle it, so kudos to whomever conceived this idea. 

Seems a tad early.   ;)

I was actually confused by what he said. Glad you pointed out the typo. Now I get it.

I'm being serious, by the way. I was confused as all heck.
no, it's what we've done. week 5 (five)

our playoffs will be a point aggregate from weeks 5, 15, 16 and 17... this because week 14 has some Byes.

weeks 1-14 are H2H (inc week 5), but we decided on including week 5 as a playoff "point accumulator" as well (as we've always had 4 playoff weeks)

I'm thinking of taking a wait and see approach.  I see a lot of games being non-competitive during weeks 17 and 18 however week 16 sit outs won't be a problem anymore.

The Bye weeks are a mess though, thanks NFL

I'm thinking of taking a wait and see approach.  I see a lot of games being non-competitive during weeks 17 and 18 however week 16 sit outs won't be a problem anymore.

How many teams rest players the last two weeks of the season? My guess is that seldom happens because it would need to be a team that has clinched a bye week (with two weeks left) and then those players would be sitting for three weeks until they played another game. Seems like a concern about an issue that doesn’t really exist.

How many teams rest players the last two weeks of the season? My guess is that seldom happens because it would need to be a team that has clinched a bye week (with two weeks left) and then those players would be sitting for three weeks until they played another game. Seems like a concern about an issue that doesn’t really exist.
Hard to know what teams will do exactly with 17 games, but we could see some players getting a 2nd week off in some situations now. 

Hard to know what teams will do exactly with 17 games, but we could see some players getting a 2nd week off in some situations now. 
Will some players sit out games with more minor injuries now with an extra game? Yes, possibly.

I don’t think there will be a rash of players sitting out Week 17 AND Week 18, now, to rest for the playoffs though - and that’s the only point here. I don’t see any risk with shifting the championship game from Week 16 to Week 17 now that there’s a Week 18. I guess it’s possible player will sit two weeks before the playoffs start, but it doesn’t seem logical.

Will some players sit out games with more minor injuries now with an extra game? Yes, possibly.

I don’t think there will be a rash of players sitting out Week 17 AND Week 18, now, to rest for the playoffs though - and that’s the only point here. I don’t see any risk with shifting the championship game from Week 16 to Week 17 now that there’s a Week 18. I guess it’s possible player will sit two weeks before the playoffs start, but it doesn’t seem logical.
I agree it’s a low risk to shifting back 1 week

12 teams, 3 divisions, playoffs 15, 16, final wk 17. We've always been a week 17 championship league so we did not have to change a thing. After 20 years the NFL finally caught up to our brilliance.

Booyah!!!

12 teams, 3 divisions, playoffs 15, 16, final wk 17. We've always been a week 17 championship league so we did not have to change a thing. After 20 years the NFL finally caught up to our brilliance.

Booyah!!!
With 3 divisions, do you just group all teams together when determining playoff seeds (1-8)?

With 3 divisions, do you just group all teams together when determining playoff seeds (1-8)?
Nope. The 3 division winners and next 3 best records (regardless of division) make playoffs. Top 2 division winners get bye wk 15. Usually need to refer to tiebreaker rules to finalize 6th playoff team. Not always.

6 seed v. 3 seed, 5 seed v. 4 seed in wk 15.

Lowest remaining seed v. 1 seed, other v. 2 seed in wk 16.

Losers in consolation, winners for title in wk 17.

6 non-playoff teams done after wk 14.

Yes, someone could win their division at 6-8 and be the 3 seed. Someone could not win their division at 10-4 and be the 5 seed. It's happened before (me.) It's also happened before that the 6-8 team caught lightning in a bottle and won the title.

MFL has an option for 12 doubleheaders and 2 single game weeks. Keeps a balanced schedule in 14 team leagues for 14 weeks. Opted for this in my leagues though I did swap a couple weeks to put the single game weeks in weeks 1 and 2

Just proposed my plan to the league & everyone is on board. We're merely extending the regular season by 1 game. Weeks 1-2-3 and 13-14-15 are divisional matchups, and weeks 4-12 are cross-division. Whatever our league software randomizes as the extra cross-divisional matchup is what it is. I offered the idea of making week 1 a non-matchup, top 6 scores win, bottom 6 lose, but alas, no takers. 

Ah well - at least it's going to be easy for me as commish, in theory. 

If week 14 has alot of byes I think you should add an extra week to the regular season.

Bye are an issue in Weeks 13 and 14.  Ouch!.

WEEK 13 BYES:  Cleveland, Green Bay, Tennessee and Carolina

WEEK 14 BYES:  Indianapolis, Miami, New England and Philadelphia

Once we added a week to our schedule, some teams complained about the Week 13/14 bye weeks.  I just replied "plan accordingly".  Nothing you can do to change things.  If they are needin g wins to make playoffs, take that into consideration with backups and late season trades...

Bye are an issue in Weeks 13 and 14.  Ouch!.

WEEK 13 BYES:  Cleveland, Green Bay, Tennessee and Carolina

Once we added a week to our schedule, some teams complained about the Week 13/14 bye weeks.  I just replied "plan accordingly".  Nothing you can do to change things.  If they are needin g wins to make playoffs, take that into consideration with backups and late season trades...
Every team will have the same number of byes - seems an odd thing to complain about.

For 10 team, 2 division league:

• First 13 weeks, every team plays each team in its division twice and each team in the other division once
  • Week 14: cross-division matchups with 1 playing 1, 2 playing 2, etc.
  • Weeks 15-17: playoffs
This week 14 approach could affect playoff seeds. It will be interesting to see how this works.

• First 13 weeks, every team plays each team in its division twice and each team in the other division once
This week 14 approach could affect playoff seeds. It will be interesting to see how this works.
In my 10 team, 2 division league, we are having week 1 be an all-play week, with the 5 best scores getting wins and the 5 lowest getting losses, and then the regular 2 games per divisional foe, 1 game per other division schedule.

I kinda like this approach.  

Question:  How are divisions determined?  I'm assuming redraft ffl - would it be picks 1-5 in one division and 6-10 in other or odd picks in one and even in other?

TIA

I kinda like this approach.  

Question:  How are divisions determined?  I'm assuming redraft ffl - would it be picks 1-5 in one division and 6-10 in other or odd picks in one and even in other?

TIA
The league I referenced is a dynasty league. Our owners are dispersed geographically, so we based them on that. 

For Dynasty, there's a camp that enjoys Divisions remaining the same for a set period of time, if not forever, with the purpose of developing intra-Division rivalries.

I prefer a 'relegation' approach, if a League is comprised of 2 Divisions: 'Royalty' and 'Scum', if you will...

Should be obvious: you do well enough to qualify for the Royalty Division in a given year, that's where you're assigned for the next year. Do poorly enough, and you'll find yourself relegated to the Scum Division.

An active League of smack-talkers could run wild with this.

It is what it is, but who’s complaining about week 14? J Taylor owners and no one else.

We are doing our standard 13 week regular season, bye week 14 for all owners, then same 3 week playoffs starting week 15.

Users who are viewing this thread