What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Draft both Kelce/Waller in 1st/2nd Rounds?? (1 Viewer)

abosweiler

Footballguy
10-team, 1-keeper, PPR, I keep Chubb in round 3.

Roster: 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1 TE, 2 RB/WR/TE Flex league.

I would not normally consider this, but doing a mock draft on FootballGuys Draft Dominator, the computer picked

Kelce

/

Waller

for my team in rounds 1 & 2. I was pick 8 in this mock draft, and I didn't hate my team at the end with a B- grade.

Does the advantage I get with

Kelce

vs other owners' TEs and

Waller

vs other owners' FLEXs seem greater than missing out on top tier RBs/WRs first two rounds? This would solidify my team as having the best TE and FLEX each and every week. And give me potential trade bait later in the year if the RB/WRs on my team don't pan out as strongly. Just curious on others' thoughts. THANKS!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know, but my first thought is: no. Also I don't think I feel as good about Waller vs typical FLEX's as you do. Especially considering there are only 10 starting WR spots in the whole leage.

I don't think it would give you any advantage.  Waller as a second round pick doesn't seem like a good idea when you also have Kelce already.  Waller's advantage is over other TE's.  This doesn't give you that.  

It really depends on who you think it is you'll be getting to fill your other RB and required WR spots, and how much of a hit you take between them and the RB/WR you could take in the 2nd compared to the hit from Waller to whomever would end up being your flex options if you don't take Waller.

I wouldn't be so quick to say it's a bad idea or couldn't be successful, but you'd need to do the work and do a few mocks to make the comparison of your likely lineups in each scenario to determine which you think gives you the strongest overall lineup. Chubb as a 3rd rounder certainly helps as you're not taking a hit at RB1, and with WR being fairly deep and this a relatively smaller league with 10 teams and only 2 required WRs, you could certainly still build a decent WR core not taking one until the 4th/5th round (essentially going zero WR in a sense), so the league setup may support the approach.

It's usually a bad idea to double up on top TEs (outside of TE premium leagues). If there are any RBs or WRs available in rd2 who you expect to score more points than Waller, then your team would score more if you drafted one of them instead and started him in place of Waller.

To me having both isnt bad if when you are picking your 2nd TE that he is better than what ever WRs or TEs are left. As the point of fantasy is to score the most points. Sonif Waller is there and you have him as a 14 points a week guy and the top WR left is only a 12 or 11 points a week guy than Waller is a safe pick. You also gain a statistical advantage over other teams as with few Top TEs in fantasy Kelce will outscore other teams TEs by more.

I've never been a guy willing to take a TE first, let alone a TE 1st and 2nd.  Kelce might be the exception but I'd rather dice roll with Hockenson/Pitts tier versus reaching and rolling out Damien Harris and Melvin Gordon as my RBs.  I think RB separation is equally as important as TE separation and you probably need to get 2 of them.  

I don't know, but my first thought is: no. Also I don't think I feel as good about Waller vs typical FLEX's as you do. Especially considering there are only 10 starting WR spots in the whole leage.
My bad, I misread your lineup requirements. My answer remains the same, but I see now that you do have 2 dedicated WR slots.

Users who are viewing this thread