What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Redraft: Dak or LJax, and why? (1 Viewer)

Who do you take in Redraft format? Explain why in the comments.

• Dak - he's gonna be the man!

Votes: 40 65.6%
  • LJax - he's gonna be the man!

Votes: 21 34.4%

• Total voters

Hot Sauce Guy

Footballguy
Looking at current redraft ADP, this one stands out to me as one of the more difficult decisions. They're both going a bit later than I would have expected (subject to change as the preseason goes on) and I see them as the last two of a top tier of QBs after Mahomes. 

Assuming Mahomes, Murray & Allen are gone, and what the heck, Brady too, which of the two do you take and why? 

They couldn't be more different QBs, in more different situations. Dak with more weapons, LJax with his rushing ability. Dallas with a defense conducive to shoot-outs, Baltimore less-so. 

If you wanted a QB in the round they're both residing ADP-wise, and the scenario shakes out to have to choose between them, who's your pony?  And more importantly, why? 

As someone who has LJ in a keeper league, I might just lean a little to Dak.  What he lacks in his running he might make up for with better targets and that lesser defense you mentioned.

he'll still get you a handful of TDs with his legs
This is where I depart from the Dak thinking. I think he changes his game quite a bit. We might not see his threat to run being granted by the defense much more if he changes, which I think he will given his new contract and his value to the team on the field rather than getting a significant injury picking up a first or touchdown.

But it's really a toss-up. I lean Dak regardless after just typing out why I liked LJax. It's really that close, but Cooper, Gallup, Lamb, and Elliott and Pollard mean Dallas is going to score a whole ton this year.

I also Lean Dak, but it’s sooooo so close. LJax has been a consistent scorer in FF, and consistently elite. 

Dak was just insanely productive until his injury last year, and the Cowboys have so many receiving weapons.

I agree with @rockactionthat we may see less running from Dak after what happened last year, and it’s LJ’s running that helps to offset the difference in his receiving weapons.

That said, I could easily see LJax having the better FF season if his new receiving weapons pan out. Ironically LJax might be even better if he runs a little less - plus it cuts down on his injury risk.

Really a coon flip or personal preference. IF ADP holds (and my league cooperated) it’s right around the point in the draft that I’ll be looking to lock down a QB.

if I miss these two I’m probably waiting a good long while to draft a QB. 

Depends solely on the scoring.  My two main league formats are 1/20 and 6 Vs. 1/25 and 4.  
This.

I definitely lean Dak in QB friendly scoring systems (1 pt per 20 yds, yardage bonuses at 300+ yards passing, 5-6 pts per TD pass).  In traditional QB scoring (say 1 pt per 25 yds passing and 4 pts per TD pass), I lean Jackson.

But I agree with everyone, it's really close and I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Depends solely on the scoring.  My two main league formats are 1/20 and 6 Vs. 1/25 and 4.  
Excellent point. I absolutely should have put that in the OP. 

I was thinking performance scoring, which is typically .1/2, 6 pt PaTD, -2 Int

But you're spot on - it could vary wildly. 

But I agree with everyone, it's really close and I don't think you can go wrong with either.
Yeah, my bad on the scoring. I agree as well, and it looks like the poll is catching up at 18-10. Dak still a big favorite. but honestly if I'm taking a QB there & I miss one, I'm thrilled to have the other, whichever it might be. I think they're closer than the poll currently is. 

And the more I think about it, I'm actually not sure the scoring makes that much of a difference. It's implied that LJax is going to be more valuable for his legs, and his weekly  potential of100/X# of TDs on the ground potential will more than offset Dak's TDs whether they're 4 or 6 points. Like, if Dak has a 5 TD game, that's a 10 point difference. LJax often makes that 10 point difference with his legs in the 1st half. And if the passing is .2 or .25 or even .4 (like my dynasty format) he's still likely to throw for more than enough yards to offset that difference compared to LJax, who likely gets penalized in those low yardage scoring formats. 

I'd be happy with either. I think they're the last of the elite tier of "known" elites. If I'm at X.11 and team 12 needs a QB, I'm gonna take whichever other need & grab whichever QB that 12 doesn't take and be happy with it.  And if I miss those guys, I'm likely back to my old freefall ways hoping to nab a Tannehill late, or go with a committee of upside guys. 

Dak - better passer, better receiving weapons, worse defense so more shootouts/garbage time, and nasty injury aside, he'll still get you a handful of TDs with his legs
The weapons on O for the Cowboys was the deciding factor for me.   The WR Corp is top notch and the run game should be good enough to keep defenses honest.  

The weapons on O for the Cowboys was the deciding factor for me.   The WR Corp is top notch and the run game should be good enough to keep defenses honest.  
I suspect this is where a lot of the Dak votes are leaning as well. 

The only counterpoint there is that LJax seems to be matchup-proof. If he's facing a tough secondary he's still going to produce with his legs. Dak against a tough secondary may have wider swings of production. 

Than again, there aren't exactly any word-beating defenses in the NFC-E, though WAS has a pretty good one. I'd have to look at DAL SOS to see if that's really an issue, but it could get me to lean LJax way, as he may have a lower weekly floor from those sweet sweet rushing yards. 

I prefer Dak, as I think he's more consistent and has better weapons, and will need to score more to keep up with his teams defensive issues.

I do think Jackson has a higher ceiling, and perhaps a much higher ceiling. A stat I came across that blew my mind, was that Jackson had only 2 carries inside the 5 last season, both of which he scored on. With only a slight tweak in playcalling, 7 rushing TD's, could become 12+ really easily. That said, I think(barring injury) he's basically a lock to have over 1,000 fewer passing yards than Dak. Even in a 17 game season, I don't think Jackson hits 4,000 yards passing.

I suspect this is where a lot of the Dak votes are leaning as well. 

The only counterpoint there is that LJax seems to be matchup-proof. If he's facing a tough secondary he's still going to produce with his legs. Dak against a tough secondary may have wider swings of production. 

Than again, there aren't exactly any word-beating defenses in the NFC-E, though WAS has a pretty good one. I'd have to look at DAL SOS to see if that's really an issue, but it could get me to lean LJax way, as he may have a lower weekly floor from those sweet sweet rushing yards. 
And Dak gets Washington in 2 playoff weeks, so that could be a potential problem if their D is as good as people are saying.

And Dak gets Washington in 2 playoff weeks, so that could be a potential problem if their D is as good as people are saying.
A good point. 

Still not sure it'd be enough to turn me off of Dak if I'm making this exact choice, but like @Gally, if I'm at x.11 and someone's at x.12, it might be enough for me to slip the turn & take whichever is left so I don't have to make the choice. 

The other heretofore unsaid advantage LJax has is that he never has to face the Ravens defense. 💡

Dak looked like a QB that was putting it all together and ready to run away with QB1 last year before injury. Combine that with the reasons already mentioned (talent around him & bad D, specifically) and that's why I'd take him. 

I feel a lot of teeth gnashing because I just set up an ESPN league for my family (I already hate playing in bragging rights leagues, and of course the cousin who demanded I set it up had to have it on ESPN which is the worst fantasy site ever) and the qb scoring seems to be built for LJ on their system.   Ask me yesterday and I'm shouting Dak off the rooftops, but now, I'm not so sure the difference is that big.

Truth be known, I didn't think the difference was that big when I started this topic. I am a little shocked that Dak has more then a 2:1 advantage in the voting.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if LJax out-scored him. 
I wouldn't either, but to me it's more of a risk/reward situation. Despite his injury last year I still see Dak as a safer pick in terms of injury. I also think he has a slightly higher floor and ceiling.

how is QB9 (8th in PPG, 8th in consistency) borderline QB2? do we understand words have meanings? are words like border bordering borderline not commonly understood throughout the English speaking portion of North America? 

trying to be charitable, I just looked at 6 pt passing TD leagues. 10th/10th/9th in total points, PPG and Consistency. being off by 3 to 5 ranking spots in a single QB format is like getting an RB2 wrong by 6-10 spots or a WR3 rank misstated by 9-15…I cannot with some people. are these obscure facts that can’t be found anywhere?

I like the outlook for the Dal offense a lot more. For fantasy purposes they both have the possibility of being THE QB1 by the end of the year.

For me it really depends on how rd 1 and 2 go. If your RB 1 and 2 are solid, you can get Cooper or Ceedee in rd 3 or 4 to make sure you get the stack and get dak in rd 5 or 6. Its a little early for tier 2 qbs but if you can get the stack there and double up on the huge pts coming from Dallas this year, its worth a bit of a reach I think.

If you are not worried about the stacking element, its a toss up for me and would just take whichever is cheaper. There isnt a raven receiving option I want at ADP. So say if you went something like Tyreek or Adams in the late first, and someone like Ekelar and monty in round 2 and 3, Mahommes is prolly gone. You can wait on Rodgers or just go with Lamar there in like rd 5 or something and essentially get your RB3 who sometimes throws a TD. 

* edit

Just looked up redraft ppr adps, per fantasy pros Lamar is 38 overall, dak is 42. so these are both 4th rounders i guess, so prolly no 5th or 6th round for these guys, but every league is different

Last edited by a moderator:
how is QB9 (8th in PPG, 8th in consistency) borderline QB2? do we understand words have meanings? are words like border bordering borderline not commonly understood throughout the English speaking portion of North America? 
well, he was the 10th ranked QB in our 10 team ppr league (4pts for passing tds)

bordering on qb2 is about as accurate as it gets. 

Pwingles said:
I like the outlook for the Dal offense a lot more. For fantasy purposes they both have the possibility of being THE QB1 by the end of the year.

For me it really depends on how rd 1 and 2 go. If your RB 1 and 2 are solid, you can get Cooper or Ceedee in rd 3 or 4 to make sure you get the stack and get dak in rd 5 or 6. Its a little early for tier 2 qbs but if you can get the stack there and double up on the huge pts coming from Dallas this year, its worth a bit of a reach I think.

If you are not worried about the stacking element, its a toss up for me and would just take whichever is cheaper. There isnt a raven receiving option I want at ADP. So say if you went something like Tyreek or Adams in the late first, and someone like Ekelar and monty in round 2 and 3, Mahommes is prolly gone. You can wait on Rodgers or just go with Lamar there in like rd 5 or something and essentially get your RB3 who sometimes throws a TD. 

* edit

Just looked up redraft ppr adps, per fantasy pros Lamar is 38 overall, dak is 42. so these are both 4th rounders i guess, so prolly no 5th or 6th round for these guys, but every league is different
stacking seems peripheral to the topic at hand. 

I also think it’s somewhat meaningless, and a bad way to draft seasonal leagues, but that’s a different subject for a different topic which has already been discussed at length in the past. 

stacking seems peripheral to the topic at hand. 

I also think it’s somewhat meaningless, and a bad way to draft seasonal leagues, but that’s a different subject for a different topic which has already been discussed at length in the past. 
The name of the title includes 'and why', they are so close in value and adp, you need a deciding factor. Obviously the OP doesnt prefer one or the other strongly, so I was giving them the thought process on why i would do A or B. So no, not peripheral to the topic. I was literally answering the question stated in the OP.

If you think the strategy is meaningless and bad, and been discussed ad nauseam, why bother to comment? Speaking of bad strategies, trading 2 1sts for a qb in a 1 qb league is a heck of a place to start...

The name of the title includes 'and why', they are so close in value and adp, you need a deciding factor. Obviously the OP doesnt prefer one or the other strongly, so I was giving them the thought process on why i would do A or B. So no, not peripheral to the topic. I was literally answering the question stated in the OP.
I’m the OP.

I appreciate the “and whys” but I am commenting that your specific “and why” is a mythical creature that adds no value to either side of the equation.

the “stack” is an illusion. What a 3rd round WR does and what a 4th or 5th QB do are mutually exclusive.

The WRs one takes before or after your QB will either perform or not perform for fantasy purposes, and having the connected QB is of no added value.

You could draft LJax & also either one of those receivers. the receiver you take neither increases nor decreases the value of the QB you’re choosing. Only your perception of it. It’s illogical to suggest that it makes a difference. 

Thus I’m expressing disagreement witn that particular “and why”. It wasn’t a personal attack, it was addressing your response. You seem to believe it’s relevant in the valuation of QBs in this discussion and I don’t.  

So I’m pointing that out. You have your opinion on it and I have mine. 

If you think the strategy is meaningless and bad, and been discussed ad nauseam, why bother to comment? Speaking of bad strategies, trading 2 1sts for a qb in a 1 qb league is a heck of a place to start...
Because, as stated,  it’s a peripheral discussion & a distraction from this topic. If you want to go try to prove that having a stack in a redraft league is meaningful, there’s already a topic for it. This isn’t it. 

and vindictively sniping at me about an opinion in the trade topic as though that’s relevant is merely childish. Good luck with that, and thanks for attempting to derail the topic. 

I’m the OP.

I appreciate the “and whys” but I am commenting that your specific “and why” is a mythical creature that adds no value to either side of the equation.

the “stack” is an illusion. What a 3rd round WR does and what a 4th or 5th QB do are mutually exclusive.

If this is how you think that works, then i see why you feel that way. They are mutually exclusive, if they arent tied together in some way.

The WRs one takes before or after your QB will either perform or not perform for fantasy purposes, and having the connected QB is of no added value.

In a high producing offense, one could assume the leader of that offense will put up a lot of points, yes? So the alpha targets in that offense also benefit, yes? So having some correlation there is helpful, no? Im not arguing Cooper/Lamb and Dak don't have individual value, they absolutely do. But if you think that offense is gonna pop off, why not have as many pieces of it as possible? Its not 100% applicable across all wr/qb combos, but id argue with the elite pairs its absolutely an advantage.

I also gave my opinion about if stacking wasnt something you were worried about, so *shrugs*

You could draft LJax & also either one of those receivers. the receiver you take neither increases nor decreases the value of the QB you’re choosing. Only your perception of it. It’s illogical to suggest that it makes a difference. 

Im not arguing that it makes anyone more or less valuable, and if thats what you thought, then i understand your confusion. was only pointing out that if you wanted that correlation in your lineup, how you could attain it according to the current adps.

Thus I’m expressing disagreement witn that particular “and why”. It wasn’t a personal attack, it was addressing your response. You seem to believe it’s relevant in the valuation of QBs in this discussion and I don’t.  

I think a guy that is gonna potentially throw 45+ tds this year, having an alpha target you can have in a very real scenario according to adp is an enticing option, thats all

So I’m pointing that out. You have your opinion on it and I have mine. 

Ok then

Because, as stated,  it’s a peripheral discussion & a distraction from this topic. If you want to go try to prove that having a stack in a redraft league is meaningful, there’s already a topic for it. This isn’t it. 

and vindictively sniping at me about an opinion in the trade topic as though that’s relevant is merely childish. Good luck with that, and thanks for attempting to derail the topic. 

OK. We can pretend you werent being snarky and condescending in your reply, and I will move on. Good luck

If this is how you think that works, then i see why you feel that way. They are mutually exclusive, if they arent tied together in some way. 
that’s not “how I think” that works, it’s objectively, factually how it works. 

if you take Amari Cooper there, then pick Dak, Amari Cooper is going to score points & Dak is going to score points.

and.if you take Allen Robinson there instead, then Dak, then Allen Robin is gonna score points & Dak is gonna score points.

But your ability to roster both Dak & Cooper is no more valuable than being able to roster Dak & ARob if Cooper & ARob are scoring similarly. But the fact that one or the other is on your fantasy team together will not make Dak more valuable to you.  

the only relevant thing is that your WR & your QB will score points at those two positions. If you get a “double TD” it makes zero difference as compared to Dak throwing a TD & ARob catching one on the same day. 

In a high producing offense, one could assume the leader of that offense will put up a lot of points, yes? So the alpha targets in that offense also benefit, yes? So having some correlation there is helpful, no?

Obviously you are targeting a good WR in a good offense, but it makes no difference to Dak’s value in this topic question.

You are targeting the most valuable WR available on the board in that round. Period. If you think it’s Lamb, take Lamb. If you think it’s Cooper, take Cooper. If you think it’s ARob, you pick ARob. Those are the players you're measuring against each other (and whomever else at that draft position when the pick comes to you) and not one thing in that decision process impacts the question, “which of Dak or LJax is the better pick” in the subsequent rounds.

And if you took Lamb, then take Dak, it doesn’t help your team more than taking LJax. What matters is that

1. lamb out-performs the other WRs you could have taken

and

2. Dak outscores LJax

the “stack” adds no value to this equation. None. It’s a myth. The very concept is applicable to single day fantasy contests where players from one team facing a perceived weak opponent are worth using em masse. In the context of a redraft league that concept is diluted, and may even be a disadvantage in bad defensive matchups. 

if you choose to believe in it, I won’t judge you for it. But saying the ability to “stack” either Cooper or Lamb gives some kind of edge to picking Dak seems like magical thinking to me. 

Im not arguing Cooper/Lamb and Dak don't have individual value, they absolutely do. But if you think that offense is gonna pop off, why not have as many pieces of it as possible? Its not 100% applicable across all wr/qb combos, but id argue with the elite pairs its absolutely an advantage. 

You’re just saying it’s good to have high scoring players on your team. Obviously that’s something we can agree on. The uniform they’re wearing is irrelevant to that statement. 

Investing in lots of players from the same team also increases risk, as when Dak went down last year & all of the Cowboys weapons downgraded thereafter. 

If you can take comparable production at WR and then decide Dak is worth taking over LJax, then the resulting roster should score similarly while diversifying.

Getting a double TD is fun. But the Passing TD & the Receiving TD are worth exactly the same regardless of the player passing or receiving, or if it happens simultaneously or sequentially. I see no advantage to stacking. And if someone takes an inferior player off the board to get the stack, I would deeply question that decision, since again, the stack adds no corresponding value. 

I also gave my opinion about if stacking wasnt something you were worried about, so *shrugs*
I’m not worried about it. I just think it’s illogical as a premise. 

Im not arguing that it makes anyone more or less valuable, and if thats what you thought, then i understand your confusion. was only pointing out that if you wanted that correlation in your lineup, how you could attain it according to the current adps.
The topic is which QB would you take and why. You said that you’d want Dak because you could stack him with one of Cooper or Lamb. Is that not an implication that it would be the more valuable strategy, thus supporting your decision? 

I think a guy that is gonna potentially throw 45+ tds this year, having an alpha target you can have in a very real scenario according to adp is an enticing option, thats all
In general, I won’t disagree. But it’s irrelevant to whether or not you take Dak or LJax.

as I said, you could take either QB and any WR combo. All that matters is that you’re taking the two who you believe will score the most at their ADP.  But that’s why they're valuable, not because you have a stack. 

OK. We can pretend you werent being snarky and condescending in your reply, and I will move on. Good luck
well no need to pretend, because I wasn’t at all. I was merely pointing out what I saw as an irrelevant logical disconnect suggesting that being able to “stack” Dak with some other player would somehow make him more valuable & put you over the top in the choice between Dak & LJAx.

It wasn’t snarky in the slightest. It was matter of fact, and I even said there’s another topic where folks are debating if “stacking” is an advantage in redraft & indicated that topic as where such a discussion belongs. 

I don’t see it as being relevant to this topic at all.  That you chose to “retaliate” from some perceived snark by calling out my week-old opinion about a trade in another topic seems like not the best option to advance a discussion, but we all have our style. 

have a nice day. 

Users who are viewing this thread