What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Black National Anthem is Here to Stay (1 Viewer)

That is not realky disagreeing.  Seems like you conceed from a  bottom line perspective e you agree.   The owners are caving into a fear by trying to avoid risk of of upsetting a few vocal players and seem willing to take the financial hit.  This so-called black national anthem will get loudly booed at many games.  Shoot, they may become a fun new pregame activity, booing through that stupid woke ### song.  
I’m not a fan of the idea, but I can’t imagine booing through the song, much less having fun doing it. But you do you. 

I’m not a fan of the idea, but I can’t imagine booing through the song, much less having fun doing it. But you do you. 
Agreed.  You might get some pockets of fans in certain cities booing it, but I doubt it will catch on and become a thing. At least I hope it doesn't.  

Would probably be better if they went to the concessions stands so they can then be back to their seats so they can then all stand with their hands over their hearts during the national anthem.

Don't know... but I suspect that they would.
I would be against that. They play lots of songs before a game. Only one they ask you to stand for one.  They can announce and point it out if they want  and if some want to stand, fine. But to ask people to stand for it seems wrong. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be against that. They play lots of songs before a game. Only one they ask you to stand for one.  They can announce and point it out if they want  and if some want to stand, fine. But to ask people to stand for it seems wrong. 
There is a certain pomp and circumstance around the anthem; an on-field display. etc.  If you play the song at the beginning of a game, I suspect the songs would be done back-to-back, much like the Canadian/US anthems at a hockey game.

Of course, baseball does a 7th inning stretch, which provides another opportunity.  The start of the second half seems like the only "other" option in a football game.

Yeah, I'm not standing for that. I find it disgraceful to try and equate the two. 
I don't think people are really equating the two, no more than LGBT+ folks are equating the rainbow flag with the stars and stripes. 

Sure and the NBA too.  But their viewership is down 34 percent from 2019.  Lots of companies are making bad decisions because they falsely believe being overly woke is profitable.  
Sports viewership ratings are down across the board.

"Since each restarted play, the N.B.A. playoffs, N.H.L. playoffs, Major League Baseball regular season and playoffs, United States Open tennis, United States Open golf, Kentucky Derby, Preakness and college football have all had ratings declines of at least 25 percent compared with 2019."

--

So the conclusion you want to make - that this is a direct result of them supporting equality clauses - seems highly dubious.

Yeah, I'm not standing for that. I find it disgraceful to try and equate the two. 
Imagine not standing during it.  You would be called a racist.  But when blacks kneel and sit during the REAL national anthem they are "brave" and held up as models of progress.

Utter nonsense.  MLK is turning over in his grave at all of the work he did now being thrown out the window.  Blacks are now asking for segregation. Unbelievable.

They literally call it the Black National Anthem.  And it's played right after the National Anthem. 😆 
I think it's played like an hour before. Or was last year.

On another note, I could really care less, so long as I don't have to be inundated with social justice stuff throughout the telecast.

I think it's played like an hour before. Or was last year.

On another note, I could really care less, so long as I don't have to be inundated with social justice stuff throughout the telecast.
Oh that’s part 2 Rock.  Their plan is to ramp that up even more this year.

Oh that’s part 2 Rock.  Their plan is to ramp that up even more this year.
Oh boy. Cannot wait for that. Nobody will be spared the justice.

Amazing how corporations have decided that us plain folk need a re-education while they think they're above the fray. Hey, corps, don't forget that back around the time of the Constitution, your powers were limited. Greatly.

Sports viewership ratings are down across the board.

"Since each restarted play, the N.B.A. playoffs, N.H.L. playoffs, Major League Baseball regular season and playoffs, United States Open tennis, United States Open golf, Kentucky Derby, Preakness and college football have all had ratings declines of at least 25 percent compared with 2019."

--

So the conclusion you want to make - that this is a direct result of them supporting equality clauses - seems highly dubious.
Those are 2020 numbers in a covid 60 game season.  The numbers for MLB are turning around, for instance MLB ratings for FOX Saturday Baseball: Up 32% compared to 2020 season, and MLB ratings for Fox Sports 1 broadcasts: Up 78% from same stretch during 2020 season.  NBA playoff ratings have been terrible.  

Oh boy. Cannot wait for that. Nobody will be spared the justice.

Amazing how corporations have decided that us plain folk need a re-education while they think they're above the fray. Hey, corps, don't forget that back around the time of the Constitution, your powers were limited. Greatly.
They’re scared ####less and don’t want to rock that boat (pun intended).  Very few things will get a corporate executive fired.  Being on the wrong end of a racial controversy is high on that list.

NFL will play the ‘Black National Anthem’ before every game in 2021

“Lift Every Voice and Sing,” widely recognized as the “Black National Anthem,” was written over 120 years ago by James Weldon Johnson

The NFL has announced it will play the Black National Anthem, “Lift Every Voice and Sing,” before each game in the 2021-22 season as part of a $250 million investment towards social justice.

The league will also continue many of the social justice initiatives implemented last season, including featuring messages of antiracism and unity on helmets and the field, and communicating to fans through signage and public service announcements, per reports by Front Office Sports.  

The multi-million dollar investment is part of the NFL’s Inspire Change initiative, advised by rapper and business mogul Jay-Z.

“Lift Every Voice and Sing” was written by civil rights activist James Weldon Johnson and composed by his brother John Rosamond Johnson in 1900. Per the NAACP, the song became a “rallying cry” for Black Americans during the Civil Rights Movement of the 1950s and 60s.

This is not the league’s first time acknowledging the song — an Alicia Keys performance of Lift Every Voice and Sing was featured before the playing of The Star-Spangled Banner at Super Bowl 55 in February, during which players from the Kansas City Chiefs and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers linked arms in solidarity.

Although it didn’t happen until the Super Bowl, the NFL considered implementing the song as early as week 1 of the 2020 season. Jacksonville Jaguars player Chris Conley responded to the league’s early considerations when news first broke last June.

“The league taking the opportunity to play “Lift every voice and sing” (the black national anthem) is sweet. It’s a great way to honor those who started this movement year and years ago,” Conley tweeted.

“For those who aren’t familiar with it, this song seeks to remind us of our past as a country and to strive to be better,” he continued. “It speaks to all of us not just black people even tho it became a rallying cry for blacks in the Jim Crow era. It is a beautiful message birthed from pain.”

He closed the series of tweets by refuting those who claim the song is divisive, saying it isn’t just for Black people to acknowledge, but for anyone who wants to “press toward a better future.”

The NFL heavily increased its commitment to racial justice issues in 2020, responding to the Black Lives Matter movement as well as the backlash directed toward the league for its handling of peaceful protests such as the kneeling popularized by Colin Kaepernick in past years.

“We, the National Football League, believe Black lives matter,” said NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell in a video released last June addressing racial injustice. “Without Black players, there would be no National Football League, and the protests around the country are emblematic of the centuries of silence, inequality and oppression of Black players coaches, fans and staff.”

Last August, Goodell also appeared on Emmanuel Acho’s Uncomfortable Conversations With a Black Man YouTube show, addressing the league’s handling of kneeling and other peaceful protests against racism.

“We have never disciplined a single player for anything with the national anthem, in violation. And I don’t intend to. I will support,” Goodell said.

Other national sports leagues have also increased their efforts toward the cause, such as the NBA’s Board of Governors which committed $300 million toward Black economic empowerment over the next 10 years.

The MLB also announced on Monday that it is contributing $150 million to increasing Black representation within the sport of baseball.

It’s before every game according to yesterday’s Yahoo article above.
That's terrible. Like I said - MLK valiantly tried but ultimately failed.  His message is now being rejected across the board.

it appears the US is now adopting the "South Africa" strategy on race relations.

Seems like a convenient take in an age when the nation struggles with important issues like pancake boxes, Mr. Potato Head, or whether "gypsy moth" (an invasive species) is a racial slur.
Convenient indeed. Requires very little consideration.

Imagine not standing during it.  You would be called a racist.  But when blacks kneel and sit during the REAL national anthem they are "brave" and held up as models of progress.

Utter nonsense.  MLK is turning over in his grave at all of the work he did now being thrown out the window.  Blacks are now asking for segregation. Unbelievable.
They're doing what now? 

NFL will play the ‘Black National Anthem’ before every game in 2021

“Lift Every Voice and Sing,” widely recognized as the “Black National Anthem,” was written over 120 years ago by James Weldon Johnson

The NFL has announced it will play the Black National Anthem, “Lift Every Voice and Sing,” before each game in the 2021-22 season as part of a $250 million investment towards social justice.

The league will also continue many of the social justice initiatives implemented last season, including featuring messages of antiracism and unity on helmets and the field, and communicating to fans through signage and public service announcements, per reports by Front Office Sports.  

The multi-million dollar investment is part of the NFL’s Inspire Change initiative, advised by rapper and business mogul Jay-Z.

“Lift Every Voice and Sing” was written by civil rights activist James Weldon Johnson and composed by his brother John Rosamond Johnson in 1900. Per the NAACP, the song became a “rallying cry” for Black Americans during the Civil Rights Movement of the 1950s and 60s.

This is not the league’s first time acknowledging the song — an Alicia Keys performance of Lift Every Voice and Sing was featured before the playing of The Star-Spangled Banner at Super Bowl 55 in February, during which players from the Kansas City Chiefs and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers linked arms in solidarity.

Although it didn’t happen until the Super Bowl, the NFL considered implementing the song as early as week 1 of the 2020 season. Jacksonville Jaguars player Chris Conley responded to the league’s early considerations when news first broke last June.

“The league taking the opportunity to play “Lift every voice and sing” (the black national anthem) is sweet. It’s a great way to honor those who started this movement year and years ago,” Conley tweeted.

“For those who aren’t familiar with it, this song seeks to remind us of our past as a country and to strive to be better,” he continued. “It speaks to all of us not just black people even tho it became a rallying cry for blacks in the Jim Crow era. It is a beautiful message birthed from pain.”

He closed the series of tweets by refuting those who claim the song is divisive, saying it isn’t just for Black people to acknowledge, but for anyone who wants to “press toward a better future.”

The NFL heavily increased its commitment to racial justice issues in 2020, responding to the Black Lives Matter movement as well as the backlash directed toward the league for its handling of peaceful protests such as the kneeling popularized by Colin Kaepernick in past years.

“We, the National Football League, believe Black lives matter,” said NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell in a video released last June addressing racial injustice. “Without Black players, there would be no National Football League, and the protests around the country are emblematic of the centuries of silence, inequality and oppression of Black players coaches, fans and staff.”

Last August, Goodell also appeared on Emmanuel Acho’s Uncomfortable Conversations With a Black Man YouTube show, addressing the league’s handling of kneeling and other peaceful protests against racism.

“We have never disciplined a single player for anything with the national anthem, in violation. And I don’t intend to. I will support,” Goodell said.

Other national sports leagues have also increased their efforts toward the cause, such as the NBA’s Board of Governors which committed $300 million toward Black economic empowerment over the next 10 years.

The MLB also announced on Monday that it is contributing $150 million to increasing Black representation within the sport of baseball.
Sure the person who wrote that says it, but no mention of them playing the black national anthem before every game in the article they got their information from.

https://frontofficesports.com/nfl-social-justice-2021-stadiums-signage/

They're doing what now? 
Asking for a separate National Anthem isn't segregating?

seg·re·gate

See definitions in:

/ˈseɡrəˌɡāt/

1. set apart from the rest or from each other; isolate or divide.
Also, I know you haven't been living in a cave so when I say "blacks asking for segregation" I know that shouldn't surprise anyone who's been alive for the last decade or so.

Here's an example: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51506733

But there are MANY more.

They literally call it the Black National Anthem.  And it's played right after the National Anthem. 😆 
To repeat what I said in my OP:

I don't think people are really equating the two, no more than LGBT+ folks are equating the rainbow flag with the stars and stripes. 
To clarify, the rainbow flag is considered the flag representing LGBT+ folks (by those in that minority group) and it has been flown in US embassies along with the stars and stripes (and in many other places) but I have to hear any LGBT+ person say the two are to be treated equally and accorded the same respect by all people. 

I’m sure Liberals would stay intellectually consistent and say “no big deal, it’s your right to do that.”  😆
Of course it’s your right not to stand. I can’t imagine anyone thinking otherwise. 

Asking for a separate National Anthem isn't segregating?

Also, I know you haven't been living in a cave so when I say "blacks asking for segregation" I know that shouldn't surprise anyone who's been alive for the last decade or so.

Here's an example: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51506733

But there are MANY more.
lol.  fair enough, I get what you are doing.  I guess as someone who has argued about definitions, I can appreciate it on some level.  

I'm good with Everyday People by Sly and the Family Stone as our new national anthem:

Sometimes I'm right and I can be wrong
My own beliefs are in my song
The butcher, the banker, the drummer and then
Makes no difference what group I'm in
I am everyday people, yeah yeah

There is a blue one who can't accept
The green one for living with
A fat one tryin' to be a skinny one
Different strokes for different folks
And so on and so on and scooby dooby dooby

Ooh sha sha
We got to live together

I am no better and neither are you
We're all the same whatever we do
You love me you hate me
You know me and then
You can't figure out the bag I'm in
I am everyday people

There is a long hair
That doesn't like the short hair
For being such a rich one
That will not help the poor one
And so on and so on scooby dooby dooby

Ooh sha sha
We got to live together

There is a yellow one that won't
Accept the black one
That won't accept the red one
That won't accept the white one

And so on and so on and
Scooby dooby dooby
Ooh sha sha
I am everyday people

I think this will be another nail for the NFL for sure

But people can still talk about the racism involved behind it can't they ?
Sure, people are free to talk about whatever they like.

I read the lyrics and I don't see anything racist about them.  Apparently what has so many people up in arms is that some people refer to the song as the black national anthem.  

I don't love the fact that they are playing the song because there are people that let this kind of stuff bother them, just like the kneeling fiasco.  It is just one more thing for people to whine about.

If I were running the NFL I wouldn't play this song or the National Anthem.  They have nothing to do with football and no matter what you do, you're going to p*** people off.  Best to avoid the whole mess.

I read the lyrics and I don't see anything racist about them.  Apparently what has so many people up in arms is that some people refer to the song as the black national anthem.  

I don't love the fact that they are playing the song because there are people that let this kind of stuff bother them, just like the kneeling fiasco.  It is just one more thing for people to whine about.

If I were running the NFL I wouldn't play this song or the National Anthem.  They have nothing to do with football and no matter what you do, you're going to p*** people off.  Best to avoid the whole mess.
Wait what about the Carrie Underwood "waiting all day for Sunday night song"? How could we ever have Sunday night football without it?

Godsbrother said:

The national anthem has been played at sporting events for over a century.  Typically, it is a show of patriotism and national pride.  I enjoy the energy and unity of a live anthem.  During an olympiad, we've seen athletes from many nations overcome by emotion during the playing of their respective anthems.

Today, the flag and the anthem have become politicized.  I would be greatly disappointed to lose yet another part of our culture.  People, such as yourself, have become indifferent.  Some believe it is a meaningless ritual.  I guess that is another thing in the eye of the beholder.

For the record, I don't believe people care about the semantics of "Black National Anthem"... However, when you play the songs side by side, you have set up this comparison, which is contentious and counter-productive.  My thought would be to play the song at the start of the second half or possibly between the 3rd/4th quarter.

The national anthem has been played at sporting events for over a century.  Typically, it is a show of patriotism and national pride.  I enjoy the energy and unity of a live anthem.  During an olympiad, we've seen athletes from many nations overcome by emotion during the playing of their respective anthems.

Today, the flag and the anthem have become politicized.  I would be greatly disappointed to lose yet another part of our culture.  People, such as yourself, have become indifferent.  Some believe it is a meaningless ritual.  I guess that is another thing in the eye of the beholder.
I believe playing the National Anthem at the Olympics is appropriate since the athletes there are representing the country.

This is not the case for professional sports where the game is a business. 

I am not indifferent to the National Anthrm but as you say it has become politicized to the point that I think it is bad business to play it or at the very least televise it.

If I were running the NFL I would want to do away with the playing of it but of course that would be bad business too.  Their best decision in my opinion would be to play it before the players are on the field and before the TV cameras are turned on.

For the record, I don't believe people care about the semantics of "Black National Anthem"... However, when you play the songs side by side, you have set up this comparison, which is contentious and counter-productive.  My thought would be to play the song at the start of the second half or possibly between the 3rd/4th quarter.
So, in the back of the bus, essentially. :mellow:

Users who are viewing this thread