What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Massage, does it speed recovery? (1 Viewer)

Caveman33

Footballguy
I've been engaging in sport lately and in addition to a litany of old injuries, I've also been experiencing acute tightness in my left glute.  There is a massage place nearby but the reviews are mixed with negative ones like this: It is bad massage and bad ladys I don’t recommend anybody to try it. 

In the past, I've found massage to provide only temporary relief.  I will sometimes rub into my psoas and that seems to alleviate my stiff lower back.  But is it worth the expense to pay someone else for temporary relief?  Some years ago I paid for a few inexpensive massages and they seemed to get progressively worse.  During the last one, the matronly lady insisted that I completely disrobe and then spent the whole half hour working my glutes and groin, at a time when I had no issue with either. 

What are your thoughts and experiences with massage?

Find a chiropractor that specializes in sports rehab or something similar.  I just visited one last week (my first time to try one after only one other "regular" chiro visit that I was NOT impressed with) for some hip/lower back tightness.  It was awesome, I have to say. By-hand massage with some sort of muscle relief gel, percussion massager, stretches of the hip flexors and hamstrings. All of that is tied together to target lower back trouble. Then he had one hell of a TENS unit. I had him turn it up pretty high. That thing would "grab" you, but felt very good when done. I'm going to probably go back another time or two, but I can already tell improvement after the one visit  earlier this week. 

Find a chiropractor that specializes in sports rehab or something similar.  I just visited one last week (my first time to try one after only one other "regular" chiro visit that I was NOT impressed with) for some hip/lower back tightness.  It was awesome, I have to say. By-hand massage with some sort of muscle relief gel, percussion massager, stretches of the hip flexors and hamstrings. All of that is tied together to target lower back trouble. Then he had one hell of a TENS unit. I had him turn it up pretty high. That thing would "grab" you, but felt very good when done. I'm going to probably go back another time or two, but I can already tell improvement after the one visit  earlier this week. 
Finding a skilled chiro or the right one for our unique body must make all the difference. I'd be curious to hear how your current treatment progresses.  Maybe he will give you some at home stretches to maintain his adjustments longer between appointments.  My hamstrings are impossibly tight, I think I should be stretching every day.

It can’t hurt. Agreed finding the right person is the key and have a routine.

Additionally, I picked up a knock off Theragun massager off Amazon and it definitely feels good to run that thing over the big muscles and Achilles / calf area along with stretching. 

Finding a skilled chiro or the right one for our unique body must make all the difference. I'd be curious to hear how your current treatment progresses.  Maybe he will give you some at home stretches to maintain his adjustments longer between appointments.  My hamstrings are impossibly tight, I think I should be stretching every day.
Definitely. I had already looked up and had been doing some stretches myself on top of my normal pre/post workout stretching. It did help some but didn't alleviate completely, so I gave this guy a shot after a friend recommended him. I was impressed. 

And definitely do some stretching, we all should be doing that, especially as we age. It'll keep you young. 😉 

One of the best stretches I've found is the 90/90

Additionally, I picked up a knock off Theragun massager off Amazon and it definitely feels good to run that thing over the big muscles and Achilles / calf area along with stretching. 
link to which one you got?

link to which one you got?
I couldn’t find it on Amazon anymore but it was this one: https://www.taotronics.com/products/tt-pca003-blue-massage-gun-percussion-massager?gclid=Cj0KCQjw_8mHBhClARIsABfFgpjlLYAjkLXgJLXYguPM_hImjSWo6QS8LJTXfTOMwH8VgZc4tLxFEGcaAiBOEALw_wcB#!

When I was trying to find it there are quite a few knockoffs that are currently on Amazon though that I bet are equivalent. 

This one has been just fine, have had it for about 6 months no issues.

I couldn’t find it on Amazon anymore but it was this one: https://www.taotronics.com/products/tt-pca003-blue-massage-gun-percussion-massager?gclid=Cj0KCQjw_8mHBhClARIsABfFgpjlLYAjkLXgJLXYguPM_hImjSWo6QS8LJTXfTOMwH8VgZc4tLxFEGcaAiBOEALw_wcB#!

When I was trying to find it there are quite a few knockoffs that are currently on Amazon though that I bet are equivalent. 

Same, with the same gun. Only had it two months but I like it. It's difficult to hit my back by myself for very long but it's great for the legs. 

Same, with the same gun. Only had it two months but I like it. It's difficult to hit my back by myself for very long but it's great for the legs. 
Yup. That little u shaped head that goes on the Achilles area is like magic. I don’t know if it really does anything but it feels good afterwards.

Massage doesn't solve the problem but it is more than just a temporary fix because it helps keep the problems from accumulating. If my hamstrings are tight then they pull on my lower back and then I get all around back pain which makes my posture worse and that's all bad.  

I bought a hypervolt hyperice percussion massager, other people like the theragun or other brands.  What i was told is that if i lie down flat on your back and cross my right leg over my left ankle, then gradually lift my right leg as far to the left as it wants to go, while keeping my back as flat as I can and my head and left foot staying put, it puts my right butt cheek and hip pointing up towards the ceiling.  From there, i use the percussion massager on my hip and cheek, and go up/down along the muscle then left/right across it.  That releases a ton of tension that I get from running and housework/yardwork. I also do my low back while I'm there.  Hamstrings are tough to do for myself but if I can get someone to help while I lie face down, it helps me a lot. Again just up and down along the muscle then side to side across it with enough pressure to get into the muscle.  

for me that has been tremendously helpful.  I sleep better, I recover better from long runs and other activity, I find it helps when I have a long day of driving and my legs feel like crap afterwards... it's just an awesome tool for me.  Your mileage may vary. 

Coming from a physical therapist, it's situational. Usually provides some relief and I use it quite often in my line of work, but only to prepare people to do a higher level activity usually, unless there is some specific joint or soft tissue restriction.  It won't fix a problem if it's coming from some type of imbalance or weakness, but it can help to get you loosened up a little so you can move better. 

I think so if have the correct person.  Was working out a lot and my neck and shoulders always were sore and just felt tired.   My buddy tunred my onto this hot Oriental lady from the gym...her hands were small but she was very strong and used her elbows to dig into the knots in my shoulders and traps. It was half pain half pleasure.  Next day I was sore but the next after everything felt much looser.  So I did 30 minutes every 3-4 days or so for a months and felt much better.
Love you long time? 

My wife and I have one that’s similar, and it’s pretty awesome. It’ll loosen up knots, relax tight muscles, and saves a lot of money.

Coming from a physical therapist, it's situational. Usually provides some relief and I use it quite often in my line of work, but only to prepare people to do a higher level activity usually, unless there is some specific joint or soft tissue restriction.  It won't fix a problem if it's coming from some type of imbalance or weakness, but it can help to get you loosened up a little so you can move better. 
I was going to recommend seeing a PT for this, and not some massage parlor.

I was going to recommend seeing a PT for this, and not some massage parlor.
If you can find a good one. They make it so difficult for people to get PT in most places. Have to go to pcp and get a referral. Then, set up an appointment with PT clinic.  Some people just find it easier to go to a masseuse or chiropractor directly to get relief, which I understand. I work for the DOD, so my injured folks come straight to me. 

Sounds like Caveman hadn't done a lot in quite some time and his body wasn't ready for the sudden increase in activity.  May have strained or inflamed a few things. 

Helps if there is a happy ending for sure
That was sort of why I stopped visiting the other massage place.  The ladies were nice and willing to negotiate cheap rates, but I was caught off guard that day as the boss lady did not usually massage.  I didn't mind her order to remove my briefs and had no problem with her sliding the towel down, but as she kneaded into my glutes and then traced her fingertips down my thigh, a lot of thoughts were racing through my head.  Her attention never wavered, the same stroke from my glutes to inner thigh.  Surely, she saw it growing.  Her fingers kept grazing along the shaft.  It felt like we were engaged in a risque game of chicken.  I wanted to get up, maybe claim I needed to use the bathroom.  Uh-oh, too late, this is going to be embarrassing.  She acted surprised and then deftly cleaned the mess. Whenever I saw her husband afterwards, he seemed angry.  But she would give me hugs if she was outside when I walked past the store.  Her english was limited, "You come again! For massage."  I smiled back, but never returned. So much for a happy ending, all I felt was shame.

Sounds like Caveman hadn't done a lot in quite some time and his body wasn't ready for the sudden increase in activity.  May have strained or inflamed a few things. 
Yes, I spend a lot of time laying around and then go too hard when I get active.  A few years ago, I read a report that found stretching did not actually reduce the rate of injuries among runners in that particular study.  Maybe so, but I wish I never read that, because my body certainly seems to benefit from stretching.  I often wake up very stiff.  I suspect that sleeping with a saggy mattress and bent knees is bad for my back so I bought a new mattress.  I'm trying to do some light stretching and core work out in the morning.

Yes, I spend a lot of time laying around and then go too hard when I get active.  A few years ago, I read a report that found stretching did not actually reduce the rate of injuries among runners in that particular study.  Maybe so, but I wish I never read that, because my body certainly seems to benefit from stretching.  I often wake up very stiff.  I suspect that sleeping with a saggy mattress and bent knees is bad for my back so I bought a new mattress.  I'm trying to do some light stretching and core work out in the morning.
The research is very inconclusive on the benefits of stretching for injury prevention, but I don't buy it. It helps me to feel a lot better before and after, along with foam rolling. Research can't prove everything. You can rarely go wrong with more flexibility. 

My wife and I have one that’s similar, and it’s pretty awesome. It’ll loosen up knots, relax tight muscles, and saves a lot of money.
Yup. On morning 3 of golfing on a trip with lots of car rides and boozing. Warm up a bit, stretch, run the gun over the big muscles, take some ibuprofen and feeling goodish.

i never have had any success with massage or cuckoopractors.  if you are 100% sure your situation is muscular, it can’t hurt i suppose.  i actually use a spine & pain doctor and have found that approach much more successful.  like i said, it depends on your issue.  i had severe lower back stiffness into my glutes and found i had an SI joint issue.  took a couple of guided injections and wa la, issue solved.

i never have had any success with massage or cuckoopractors.  if you are 100% sure your situation is muscular, it can’t hurt i suppose.  i actually use a spine & pain doctor and have found that approach much more successful.  like i said, it depends on your issue.  i had severe lower back stiffness into my glutes and found i had an SI joint issue.  took a couple of guided injections and wa la, issue solved.
What do the injections do? Isn't that a temporary solution? I assume it just reduced inflammation and pain, but won't you need it again in a few months when it wears off?

Groupon has been selling the knockoffs as well.  Been thinking about getting one.

What do the injections do? Isn't that a temporary solution? I assume it just reduced inflammation and pain, but won't you need it again in a few months when it wears off?
so, results may differ is the line i use.  here’s an example…back at the end of 2017 early 2018 i was suffering from debilitating neck, shoulder pain and shoulder blade pain on my left side.  it came on fast and i was a basket case for months.  thought it was rotator cuff or muscular.  went for massages and got nowhere.  went to orthopedist and x-rays were clean.  finally went to spine doctor and had mri that found c6-c7 nerve impingement and other issues.  i went the epidural route and three shots in about 4 months.  knocked me back to baseline and i haven’t had an issue since.  repaired?  no.  100%?  not exactly.  but i was able to avoid a fusion surgery.  so, it’s gotten me almost 4 years.  massages would’ve never solved or given me any relief and the chiropractor wanted a treatment plan for around $2300.  my neck doc said the chiro would’ve likely made it worse.  will the shots last forever?  no.  but who knows when they wear off.  they don’t fix the underlying issue, but are quite effective in treatment symptoms, which are sometimes all you need.  

Groupon has been selling the knockoffs as well.  Been thinking about getting one.
The knock off ii got was like 120 but then had a 50 dollar coupon on Amazon. While looking for it on the site looks like it’s no longer sold it, but there were similar ones that had the same deal.

For that price give it a spin, 

Yup. On morning 3 of golfing on a trip with lots of car rides and boozing. Warm up a bit, stretch, run the gun over the big muscles, take some ibuprofen and feeling goodish.
I’m up and down ladders at work fairly often, and the backs of my quads can get fairly locked up. That gun will hurt like an Oedipus, but I feel better afterwards. 

so, results may differ is the line i use.  here’s an example…back at the end of 2017 early 2018 i was suffering from debilitating neck, shoulder pain and shoulder blade pain on my left side.  it came on fast and i was a basket case for months.  thought it was rotator cuff or muscular.  went for massages and got nowhere.  went to orthopedist and x-rays were clean.  finally went to spine doctor and had mri that found c6-c7 nerve impingement and other issues.  i went the epidural route and three shots in about 4 months.  knocked me back to baseline and i haven’t had an issue since.  repaired?  no.  100%?  not exactly.  but i was able to avoid a fusion surgery.  so, it’s gotten me almost 4 years.  massages would’ve never solved or given me any relief and the chiropractor wanted a treatment plan for around $2300.  my neck doc said the chiro would’ve likely made it worse.  will the shots last forever?  no.  but who knows when they wear off.  they don’t fix the underlying issue, but are quite effective in treatment symptoms, which are sometimes all you need.  
Where did you get the injection and how did impingement at C6/7 relate to SI and low back pain? 

I had a series of chest x-rays a few years ago and the MRI tech pointed out my lower spine.  He said there were a couple slipped discs, and seemed knowledgeable based on having claimed disability for similar discs of his own.  (This was a young military guy, most techs would not be offering opinions like that).  I don't know if those discs tie into my lower back discomfort.  I have certainly had times since then when I had no pain at all.  I think that is why doctors discourage imaging so much.  We have a lot of minor issues that we can live just fine with, and many surgeons will leave you worse if you allow them.

I had a series of chest x-rays a few years ago and the MRI tech pointed out my lower spine.  He said there were a couple slipped discs, and seemed knowledgeable based on having claimed disability for similar discs of his own.  (This was a young military guy, most techs would not be offering opinions like that).  I don't know if those discs tie into my lower back discomfort.  I have certainly had times since then when I had no pain at all.  I think that is why doctors discourage imaging so much.  We have a lot of minor issues that we can live just fine with, and many surgeons will leave you worse if you allow them.
Solid point in the last couple sentences. If doctors go digging for stuff, they'll usually find it. And often times it has little to do with the issues a patient are having. It just puts into their head a very negative idea. 

flapgreen said:
Where did you get the injection and how did impingement at C6/7 relate to SI and low back pain? 
so, these are separate issues.  the epidurals were for the cervical spine.  I have had SI pain for a bit (mainly in the right side joint, but both sides) due mainly to me carrying my older dog up and down stairs, a big trigger.  i have had an in office shot on both sides for the joint, but am going this friday for xray guided bilateral shots.  i would expect these to work quite well based on what i'm hearing.  i don't want to say i'm an advocate for shots, but i have had great success and would honestly say i have had over 50 shots in general for varying ailments.  in moderation, they can be a great source of reducing inflammation and getting you back to where you want to be.  they will not solve the underlying issue, obviously.  for my cervical, i am just not at the point of wanting a neck scar and 4 plates in my neck.  down the line, this is my likely scenario, but not now.  i guess i am saying that if you are sore and have a muscle issue, go for a massage.  but be wary of your issue and chiropractors.  just my opinion.......results may vary.

You need to do some research online or talk with some friends/family to find a better massage  place. It sounds like you've had bad experiences with crappy service. Find some places with good reviews or word of mouth and be prepared to pay more for better service. 

so, these are separate issues.  the epidurals were for the cervical spine.  I have had SI pain for a bit (mainly in the right side joint, but both sides) due mainly to me carrying my older dog up and down stairs, a big trigger.  i have had an in office shot on both sides for the joint, but am going this friday for xray guided bilateral shots.  i would expect these to work quite well based on what i'm hearing.  i don't want to say i'm an advocate for shots, but i have had great success and would honestly say i have had over 50 shots in general for varying ailments.  in moderation, they can be a great source of reducing inflammation and getting you back to where you want to be.  they will not solve the underlying issue, obviously.  for my cervical, i am just not at the point of wanting a neck scar and 4 plates in my neck.  down the line, this is my likely scenario, but not now.  i guess i am saying that if you are sore and have a muscle issue, go for a massage.  but be wary of your issue and chiropractors.  just my opinion.......results may vary.
Allow me to also chime in here regarding Injections.   I have a 4 level fusion in my neck, but I've had nearly 50 different injections in my neck, mid-back, and Lower back.......all performed by an awesome Pain Mgmt doctor.

Epidurals    involve injecting anti-inflammatory medication in the “general area” & is often just temporary.  If it fixes the issue, great.  If not, then maybe it works for a couple of days (which is feedback that should be told to the doctor that they are in the right area, but need a slightly more advanced approach).  If the injection had no affect, then inflamation wasn't the cause of the pain.     I've had epidurals performed in a Dr. office visit on a SI issue w/ success.

Radiofrequency Ablation (RFA)    I've personally have had the RFA many times w/ successful outcomes, but I would bet that a lot of people don't even know about this procedure.  It’s an outpatient procedure & it’s basically making the affected nerve “smaller” by burning a tiny outside layer of it so that it isn’t pinched anymore.  It's done under a fluoroscopy machine (real-time xray) and the patient can elect to do it with IV sedation or just local.   RFA reduces the size of the nerve in the foramen…..while an epidural just shoots anti-inflammatory medication in the “general area” & is often just temporary.  The nerve layers will slowly grow back but you can re-do the procedure again at that point.  (i was lucky to get 14-16 mths of relief which is longer than normal) Note that RFA won’t reverse nerve damage, but RFA could relieve the muscle tension if nerves don’t have enough room in the foramen.  

https://www.webmd.com/arthritis/radiofrequency-ablation
https://www.spine-health.com/.../lumbar-radiofrequency...  Here’s a better explanation w animated video.   

@Chemical X  You mentioned you are having an Xray guided injection this Friday......I wonder if you are having an RFA.

Allow me to also chime in here regarding Injections.   I have a 4 level fusion in my neck, but I've had nearly 50 different injections in my neck, mid-back, and Lower back.......all performed by an awesome Pain Mgmt doctor.

Epidurals    involve injecting anti-inflammatory medication in the “general area” & is often just temporary.  If it fixes the issue, great.  If not, then maybe it works for a couple of days (which is feedback that should be told to the doctor that they are in the right area, but need a slightly more advanced approach).  If the injection had no affect, then inflamation wasn't the cause of the pain.     I've had epidurals performed in a Dr. office visit on a SI issue w/ success.

Radiofrequency Ablation (RFA)    I've personally have had the RFA many times w/ successful outcomes, but I would bet that a lot of people don't even know about this procedure.  It’s an outpatient procedure & it’s basically making the affected nerve “smaller” by burning a tiny outside layer of it so that it isn’t pinched anymore.  It's done under a fluoroscopy machine (real-time xray) and the patient can elect to do it with IV sedation or just local.   RFA reduces the size of the nerve in the foramen…..while an epidural just shoots anti-inflammatory medication in the “general area” & is often just temporary.  The nerve layers will slowly grow back but you can re-do the procedure again at that point.  (i was lucky to get 14-16 mths of relief which is longer than normal) Note that RFA won’t reverse nerve damage, but RFA could relieve the muscle tension if nerves don’t have enough room in the foramen.  

https://www.webmd.com/arthritis/radiofrequency-ablation
https://www.spine-health.com/.../lumbar-radiofrequency...  Here’s a better explanation w animated video.   

@Chemical X  You mentioned you are having an Xray guided injection this Friday......I wonder if you are having an RFA.
interesting read…..i am no doctor, but the way i understood my neck was that the spine is in the epidural space.  when you breach the space for a shot, it’s called an epidural, which are usually administered via guided fluoroscope.  being guided makes the shot less generalized as you mention.  the fluoroscope is to ensure the shot is as localized as possible to maximize benefit.  the scope enables accuracy.  the si shot is fluoroscope guided to maximize success but not considered epidural, as the si joint is not within the spinal space.  never heard of the rfa, i wonder if that’s also known as the nerve block.  i’m glad i barely understand my procedures as i lay prone on a table with my spine in play…….but here we are.  

interesting read…..i am no doctor, but the way i understood my neck was that the spine is in the epidural space.  when you breach the space for a shot, it’s called an epidural, which are usually administered via guided fluoroscope.  being guided makes the shot less generalized as you mention.  the fluoroscope is to ensure the shot is as localized as possible to maximize benefit.  the scope enables accuracy.  the si shot is fluoroscope guided to maximize success but not considered epidural, as the si joint is not within the spinal space.  never heard of the rfa, i wonder if that’s also known as the nerve block.  i’m glad i barely understand my procedures as i lay prone on a table with my spine in play…….but here we are.  
I'm not a doctor either, but I went thru a bunch of yrs dealing with this and luckily happened upon a great Pain Mgmt doctor that was excellent at explaining things to his patients.  It gave me the confidence to go thru the un-nerving process (pun intended) of trying to get relief.  Once you start to understand the "science" of the procedures, then you can recognize & give better feedback to your doctors. Eventually, the aging process takes over and discs thin out.......which makes things worse as space for nerves gets impeded.

What you might be calling "nerve block".......might actually be called a Medial Branch Block.  it Suppresses the nerve from sending pain signals to the brain.
https://www.spine-health.com/treatment/injections/facet-joint-injections-and-medial-branch-blocks
(i've had a Medial Branch block before.......but not many)

I understand. Has anyone discussed with you what the underlying dysfunction might be and how it might be corrected or improved? 

Pulled the trigger the other day on one of the percussion massagers from amazon.    i like it.   for 100 bucks, its a good tool to have in the bag.  

I understand. Has anyone discussed with you what the underlying dysfunction might be and how it might be corrected or improved? 
well, the neck needs a fusion surgery.  spurs hitting the nerve and compression.  the SI joint might just be arthritis or chronic inflammation.  the shots will let me know more.

Caveman33 said:
This has been studied and it's absolutely true. A need for spinal surgery in particular was often misdiagnosed. That doesn't mean it's never necessary... just that getting a second opinion is absolutely warranted before having someone cut into your spine 

flapgreen said:
The research is very inconclusive on the benefits of stretching for injury prevention, but I don't buy it. It helps me to feel a lot better before and after, along with foam rolling. Research can't prove everything. You can rarely go wrong with more flexibility. 
I feel like foam rolling is sometimes exactly what you need and sometimes snake oil of the no pain no gain variety and it's not always easy to tell which is true for you. I've read some very negative things about it and also seen plenty of people swear by it and to me that just suggests that different people have different things that bother them. 

Stretching, plyometrics, yoga... I feel like someone who has weak minor muscles will benefit from strengthening them, someone who has atrophy in their major muscle groups may see some benefit, and someone with soreness that makes them avoid certain movements is more likely to hurt themselves if they don't stretch. 

But in my amateur opinion thats not necessarily because stretching helps avoid injuries, but because stretching relieves some (but not all) pain from previous exercise or repetitive stresses.  If I'm walking downstairs and my hip is sore and there's tons of lactic acid buildup, maybe I lean harder on my other leg or put more weight on my knees or whatever sucky thing I might do to myself. Stretching then strengthens the helper muscles so when I do put more weight on my knees, the little stabilizer muscles take some of the load, and it releases some of the yuck from the muscles that makes them hurt which makes your body subconsciously avoid certain movements and choose other worse ones instead and oops hip pain. 

I feel like a lot of the studies on this are hindered by the fact they can't use common sense to frame the study. In general is stretching good?  I guess it depends on your age, your overall strength, whether you have accumulated wear and tear from increasing or decreasing your activity level later in life, or sitting weird when you use the computer... so many things go into this. 

The only things I feel strongly about are that there are good people who try to find the right things for their clients whether its pt, massage therapists, ot, chiropractors... whatever.  There are also bad ones who suck at their jobs and sometimes make things worse for people.  And the best way to tell the difference is that the good ones don't have a one size fits all approach and want to understand what you are dealing with. At least in my amateur opinion.

I feel like foam rolling is sometimes exactly what you need and sometimes snake oil of the no pain no gain variety and it's not always easy to tell which is true for you. I've read some very negative things about it and also seen plenty of people swear by it and to me that just suggests that different people have different things that bother them. 

Stretching, plyometrics, yoga... I feel like someone who has weak minor muscles will benefit from strengthening them, someone who has atrophy in their major muscle groups may see some benefit, and someone with soreness that makes them avoid certain movements is more likely to hurt themselves if they don't stretch. 

But in my amateur opinion thats not necessarily because stretching helps avoid injuries, but because stretching relieves some (but not all) pain from previous exercise or repetitive stresses.  If I'm walking downstairs and my hip is sore and there's tons of lactic acid buildup, maybe I lean harder on my other leg or put more weight on my knees or whatever sucky thing I might do to myself. Stretching then strengthens the helper muscles so when I do put more weight on my knees, the little stabilizer muscles take some of the load, and it releases some of the yuck from the muscles that makes them hurt which makes your body subconsciously avoid certain movements and choose other worse ones instead and oops hip pain. 

I feel like a lot of the studies on this are hindered by the fact they can't use common sense to frame the study. In general is stretching good?  I guess it depends on your age, your overall strength, whether you have accumulated wear and tear from increasing or decreasing your activity level later in life, or sitting weird when you use the computer... so many things go into this. 

The only things I feel strongly about are that there are good people who try to find the right things for their clients whether its pt, massage therapists, ot, chiropractors... whatever.  There are also bad ones who suck at their jobs and sometimes make things worse for people.  And the best way to tell the difference is that the good ones don't have a one size fits all approach and want to understand what you are dealing with. At least in my amateur opinion.
You are exactly right. 

Ah, good eye.   I didn't apply no coupon so maybe there just playing some mind games making you think like you're getting some good deal.   
@Nathan R. Jessep the Black one is $120…..but the Silver one is showing as $100

when I bought my percussion massage gun 1.5 yrs ago I paid something like $150 so they’re coming down in price 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread