What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Guillotine League Strategy (1 Viewer)

Yeah,  I'd rather take a risk early, save, and then have money to spend later than to spend away now just to have a middling team at the end.

Made it through another week, this time with the high score (J.Robinson, Darrel Williams, M.Jones, Waddle).  Went with Heinicke over Wentz on the streaming option (mistake) and over Tannehill (mistake) but made it through anyway.  Here are the interesting FAs available this week:

QB P.Mahomes
RB S.Barkley
RB K.Hunt
WR AJ.Brown
WR A.Cooper
WR C.Ridley

I've got the 2nd highest FAAB at $741, the guy ahead of me has Burrow at QB.

Made it through another week, this time with the high score (J.Robinson, Darrel Williams, M.Jones, Waddle).  Went with Heinicke over Wentz on the streaming option (mistake) and over Tannehill (mistake) but made it through anyway.  Here are the interesting FAs available this week:

QB P.Mahomes
RB S.Barkley
RB K.Hunt
WR AJ.Brown
WR A.Cooper
WR C.Ridley

I've got the 2nd highest FAAB at $741, the guy ahead of me has Burrow at QB.

Grats! What I'm wondering is if QB prices fall off a cliff eventually.

I can't imagine anyone with Allen, Prescott, Herbert, Jackson, Murray, Brady, and Hurts would pay much for Mahomes. And if they did then I think they'd hurt themselves at other positions to do so. 

Heck you could probably add Stafford and Rodgers to that list and that's 9 great QBs. 10 if Russell ever comes back. With that much talent, I don't know that I'd ever spend $400 on a QB. Maybe $200 on Mahomes because if there is anyone I'd splurge on it would be him. However, I'm wondering if we get to the point sooner rather than later where a great QB goes for sub 100.

tigerz said:
Grats! What I'm wondering is if QB prices fall off a cliff eventually.

I can't imagine anyone with Allen, Prescott, Herbert, Jackson, Murray, Brady, and Hurts would pay much for Mahomes. And if they did then I think they'd hurt themselves at other positions to do so. 

Heck you could probably add Stafford and Rodgers to that list and that's 9 great QBs. 10 if Russell ever comes back. With that much talent, I don't know that I'd ever spend $400 on a QB. Maybe $200 on Mahomes because if there is anyone I'd splurge on it would be him. However, I'm wondering if we get to the point sooner rather than later where a great QB goes for sub 100.

Oh yeah, picked up and started Alie-Cox too, with Pitts on bye and Gronk still out.  And I forgot Diggs last night.

Everyone pretty much has a QB except for the guy who has Burrow.  The guy who has Wilson is starting Darnold so he could be another candidate to go after Mahones (though Darnold has done pretty well).  So not sure what the market will be like.

There are a lot of players on bye this week, I might be able to get through another week with Tannehill (against Chiefs).  Though I'm out J.Robinson, S.Diggs, and M.Jones.

I guess pretty much everyone will be sub $100 eventually.

The highest scoring team in the league through 5 weeks was eliminated in my league.

Looking at lineups for this week, and there are going to be some UGLY ones put up this week.  No FA bidding is going to fix what some folks are dealing with.

Right now, pre-waivers, I'm rolling out:

QB J Hurts

RB: D Harris, M Davis, M Carter

WR: T McLauren, J Meyers, R Moore

TE: T Kelce

As ugly as this looks, it should still get me past this week.

Main names to bid on in my league:  Alvin Kamara, Mike Williams, Mike Evans, Jamar Chase, Dallas Goedert, Lamar Jackson, Melvin Gordon.

The highest scoring team in the league through 5 weeks was eliminated in my league.

Looking at lineups for this week, and there are going to be some UGLY ones put up this week.  No FA bidding is going to fix what some folks are dealing with.

QB J Hurts

Main names to bid on in my league:  Alvin Kamara, Mike Williams, Mike Evans, Jamar Chase, Dallas Goedert, Lamar Jackson, Melvin Gordon.

Same in my league, the top scorer went out.

Wow, some big names.  Based on this and my league, things seem to be getting real right about now.

Oh yeah, picked up and started Alie-Cox too, with Pitts on bye and Gronk still out.  And I forgot Diggs last night.

Everyone pretty much has a QB except for the guy who has Burrow.  The guy who has Wilson is starting Darnold so he could be another candidate to go after Mahones (though Darnold has done pretty well).  So not sure what the market will be like.

There are a lot of players on bye this week, I might be able to get through another week with Tannehill (against Chiefs).  Though I'm out J.Robinson, S.Diggs, and M.Jones.

I guess pretty much everyone will be sub $100 eventually.

Nice. I think Tannehill vs Chiefs is fine. I'd be more concerned about replacing Robinson/diggs/jones with good fill-ins. You can't really expect Mahomes to score enough to replace the value lost by those 3 studs alone.

I'd bid Mahomes for value and if they pay sticker price I wouldn't feel bad. I got Burrow vs Balt so I'm slightly more afraid because of what happened to Herbert last week. However, got Darnold and Cousins on waiver so will go after one of them for cheap if I don't get Lamar.

I honestly just don't believe in spending a ton of money on QB because from what I heard, you will want 2-3 stud QBs when you make playoffs to keep them away from other teams and play the matchup. Hard to do that when you drop 300 on one now. 

Plus, I think the best way to spend your money is on stud RBs with high floors. Henry is single handedly saving a lot of teams. Rather overpay for them than QBs since that's a need for every team. I'm bidding high on Kamara in my league since he's past his bye but I still might not get it since I'm assuming people are desperate.

If you can get brown or Ridley at good value that would be ideal.

Last edited by a moderator:

QB J Hurts

I'm feeling pretty good about Harris this week. I agree, your lineup is good enough for this week considering. Wouldn't feel desperate at all.

You got some great names on the list this week. I'd personally bid on all those guys for value... Except maybe Gordon unless you get him for like $6. Not a guy you want to ever start.

Williams and Evans put up stinkers though. I like Chase best since he's been most consistent and hopefully you can get him for cheaper.  Definitely wouldn't fault you for blowing your load on Kamara though. 

Nice. I think Tannehill vs Chiefs is fine. I'd be more concerned about replacing Robinson/diggs/jones with good fill-ins. You can't really expect Mahomes to score enough to replace the value lost by those 3 studs alone.

I'd bid Mahomes for value and if they pay sticker price I wouldn't feel bad. I got Burrow vs Balt so I'm slightly more afraid because of what happened to Herbert last week. However, got Darnold and Cousins on waiver so will go after one of them for cheap if I don't get Lamar.

I honestly just don't believe in spending a ton of money on QB because from what I heard, you will want 2-3 stud QBs when you make playoffs to keep them away from other teams and play the matchup. Hard to do that when you drop 300 on one now. 

Plus, I think the best way to spend your money is on stud RBs with high floors. Henry is single handedly saving a lot of teams. Rather overpay for them than QBs since that's a need for every team. I'm bidding high on Kamara in my league since he's past his bye but I still might not get it since I'm assuming people are desperate.

If you can get brown or Ridley at good value that would be ideal.
Hoping Darrel Williams can have another big day to pull me through.  Have D.Harris as well.

Bidding on Brown and Ridley but at really low prices.  Not sure what good value is for anyone at this point.

I won Kamara at $451.  Next highest bid on him was $400.  I still have $506 left and can now sit back and wait until some of the big bye weeks cycle through and start spending again.  These are the balances of the remaining teams.  I'm at 506.

1. 815
  2. 548
  3. 540
  4. 506
  5. 473
  6. 390
  7. 260
  8. 209
  9. 203
  10. 198
  11. 170
  12. 150

I won Kamara at $451.  Next highest bid on him was $400.  I still have $506 left and can now sit back and wait until some of the big bye weeks cycle through and start spending again.  These are the balances of the remaining teams.  I'm at 506.

1. 815
  2. 548
  3. 540
  4. 506
  5. 473
  6. 390
  7. 260
  8. 209
  9. 203
  10. 198
  11. 170
  12. 150
Nice. I missed on kamara. He went for over 500 in mine and I bid 400. I got Lamar for 85 instead. Got 700 left to spend. Hoping I can last long enough to get premium rbs at a discount.

Here's what they went for (winning/next highest):

$378/201  Mahomes (to the guy who had Burrow)
$351/251  Ridley (to the same guy, he was the only one ahead of me in $)
$241/205  A.J. Brown
$101/13    Davonte Smith
$100/69    Barkley (to the Mahomes/Ridley guy)
$89/30      Marquise Brown

A bunch of others as well, someone got Hunt for $1 which I thought was great.

I picked up E.Sanders for $31 and A.Cooper for $30.

Here's what they went for (winning/next highest):

$378/201  Mahomes (to the guy who had Burrow)
$351/251  Ridley (to the same guy, he was the only one ahead of me in $)
$241/205  A.J. Brown
$101/13    Davonte Smith
$100/69    Barkley (to the Mahomes/Ridley guy)
$89/30      Marquise Brown

A bunch of others as well, someone got Hunt for $1 which I thought was great.

I picked up E.Sanders for $31 and A.Cooper for $30.
you got sanders and cooper for steals. Nicely done. That mahomes Ridley guy overpaid for sure. You’re going to be able to get a qb for cheap next week. Maybe Josh Allen for 100. Happened for me this week. I could have gotten lamar for 55ish.

guys on bye are going for cheap if you got roster space and can survive the bye weeks.

you got sanders and cooper for steals. Nicely done. That mahomes Ridley guy overpaid for sure. You’re going to be able to get a qb for cheap next week. Maybe Josh Allen for 100. Happened for me this week. I could have gotten lamar for 55ish.

guys on bye are going for cheap if you got roster space and can survive the bye weeks.
This is what I'm rolling out this week so far.  Might have to pick up a fill-in for Gronk or Alie-Cox:

QB Tannehill
RB D.Harris
RB Darrel Williams
WR C.Davis
WR Waddle
FLX Gronk
FLX Alie-Cox
TE Pitts

Hopefully it's slightly better than a couple of the others out there.

This is what I'm rolling out this week so far.  Might have to pick up a fill-in for Gronk or Alie-Cox:

QB Tannehill
RB D.Harris
RB Darrel Williams
WR C.Davis
WR Waddle
FLX Gronk
FLX Alie-Cox
TE Pitts

Hopefully it's slightly better than a couple of the others out there.
What’s your project points compared to rest of your league. I thought I was in trouble till I saw some very low numbers from some of the teams

Picked up T.Patrick yesterday to play in place of Alie-Cox in the flex.  Seemed like a good idea.  Thanks for nothing!!!!!!!!!!!

These were the main bids on my league and how much the were over the second highest bid.

Kamara $451. overbid by $51
Lamar Jackson $323, overbid by $213!!!
J Chase $277, overbid by 77
M Williams $178, overbid by 76
M Evans $178, overbid by $0 technically, but since that second 178 bid was nullified because he got Chase, then next bid that could have won Evans was $59 lower.
K Hunt $128, overbid by $128!!!!!!!!!!!  Nobody else bid on Hunt.
Goedert $32, overbid by $16.

This week, I'm rolling with 

QB: Hurts

RB: Kamara, D Harris

WR: McLauren, J Meyers, R Moore

TE: Kelce

Flex: M Davis

Glad to see one owner start Patrick and Fant to get a combined 11 points while also having Javonte Williams on the bench.

These were the main bids on my league and how much the were over the second highest bid.

M Evans $178, overbid by $0 technically, but since that second 178 bid was nullified because he got Chase, then next bid that could have won Evans was $59 lower.

Glad to see one owner start Patrick and Fant to get a combined 11 points while also having Javonte Williams on the bench.

Nice looking lineup for this week.

Ugh, Tim Patrick!!!!!!  :doh:

Yeah I think the trick now is understanding how everyone else’s faab affections bidding. Prices won’t be same as in previous weeks so you are in danger of overbidding. If you overbid then we lose our advantage in having more FAAB. May need to bid for value and accept that we may lose some bids for longer gain.

lamar I bid 85 but other person bid 50. Previous qbs went for 200. If I had bid based on historical I would have overpaid like your league.

Out of Faab. But I got dalvin, chubb, CEH, Barkleyand Henderson which doesn't help me much this week outside of Henderson.  Feel ok after d Johnson last night though hopefully I can have my stable get healthy and ride those horses to the chip. 

Gronk not playing now, so I picked up Penny. Probably need to find someone else. Between this and my T.Patrick debacle, I may be done.

Gronk not playing now, so I picked up Penny. Probably need to find someone else. Between this and my T.Patrick debacle, I may be done.

penny may take over backfield this week. Collins hasn’t practiced yet. I picked him up for insurance in case collins isn’t in. Surprised you don’t have other people this week with weaker lineups. I got a guy this week who has lamb Chubb zeke Harris herbert out. 

penny may take over backfield this week. Collins hasn’t practiced yet. I picked him up for insurance in case collins isn’t in. Surprised you don’t have other people this week with weaker lineups. I got a guy this week who has lamb Chubb zeke Harris herbert out. 

I guess they're better at building their rosters than I am. If I stick with Penny I have to be ready to switch to D.Dallas or someone if Collins plays. Either that or go with R.Moore or an Indy guy?

I guess they're better at building their rosters than I am. If I stick with Penny I have to be ready to switch to D.Dallas or someone if Collins plays. Either that or go with R.Moore or an Indy guy?

Looks like I screwed myself. Went to pick up someone this morning Anna Penny is locked on my roster and I can't drop. I really can't/don't want to drop anyone else so I guess it's gonna be Penny  :scared: .

Looks like I screwed myself. Went to pick up someone this morning Anna Penny is locked on my roster and I can't drop. I really can't/don't want to drop anyone else so I guess it's gonna be Penny  :scared: .
You couldn’t drop penny? That’s odd… 

Good news is I made it through thanks to Tannehill, D.Harris, C.Davis, Waddle, Pitts.

Good chance the guy who just picked up Mahomes will go out. If he'd have stuck with Burrow would likely have been ok.

It's guillotine leagues.com
Yes, that's the same site I'm using.  Strange that it wouldn't allow that transaction.  Could it have to do with him being on IR recently?  I was absolutely able to drop Rhamondre at around 12 this afternoon after picking him up on Thursday

Good news is I made it through thanks to Tannehill, D.Harris, C.Davis, Waddle, Pitts.

Good chance the guy who just picked up Mahomes will go out. If he'd have stuck with Burrow would likely have been ok.
 Grats. I’m still alive too. Burrow did better than Jackson lol. Well feel good about starting him against jets next week.

This guy with 7 starters in bye might make it. He started darnold too. Damn lucky lol

Here are the names available this week.  I've got the most FAAB with $677.  There are four others in the $400-500 range.

QB - Mahomes, Burrow
RB - Najee, Barkley, Cordarrelle
WR - Ridley, Thielen

Gotta think several will go all-in on Harris.

Here are the names available this week.  I've got the most FAAB with $677.  There are four others in the $400-500 range.

QB - Mahomes, Burrow
RB - Najee, Barkley, Cordarrelle
WR - Ridley, Thielen

Gotta think several will go all-in on Harris.
got to think Barkley will go for a good deal because he’s sitting this week and could be elite after. I bid on all three rbs and hope you get one of them for value. I would really love Harris though… 

I got Henry mccaffrey and Montgomery in mine.

got to think Barkley will go for a good deal because he’s sitting this week and could be elite after. I bid on all three rbs and hope you get one of them for value. I would really love Harris though… 

I got Henry mccaffrey and Montgomery in mine.

Barkley went for $204 two weeks ago and $100 last week.  Not sure I want to be the guy who gets him... lol.

Not sure what to bid on any of them.  I'd have to go $482 to guarantee Najee, and I think guys are going to go all-in on him, like I said.

Henry is going to be crazy in your league.  McCaffrey very interesting also.

Oops, missed that A.Gibson is available this week also (not going to bid on him).  Geez, this is getting crazy.

Tough call on bidding on Henry that high or not. Nice to have him but also nice for some other team to not be able to bid again.

I survived with the highest points for the week.  What a waste!

This week we have the following up for bid:

• Kyler Murray
  • CMC
  • James Robinson
  • Melvin Gordon
  • Chubba Hubbard
  • Tyreek Hill
  • Julio Jones
  • Mark Andrews
  • Zach Ertz
Biggest balance has $815...$267 more then second highest. Then there's a group of 4 from $548-$473. Then the rest with not much to spend. Hopefully,  Top budget guy blows his wad a bit this week to bring him back to the pack.

My biggest need is WR.  Not a lot of help there.  I'm sitting at $506 left.  I'm 4th highest money.  I don't want to break the bank for Hill right now.  I'm hoping people forget about Jerry Juedy but I may be waiting another week to solve my WR depth problems.

Just noticed that the league rosters lock after week 14.  The disclaimer says "If we allowed free agent pickups through the end of the season, the team with the most remaining FAAB has an overwhelmingly strong advantage."  Well... duh!!!!!  Sounds like b.s. to me.

Barkley went for $204 two weeks ago and $100 last week.  Not sure I want to be the guy who gets him... lol.

Not sure what to bid on any of them.  I'd have to go $482 to guarantee Najee, and I think guys are going to go all-in on him, like I said.

Henry is going to be crazy in your league.  McCaffrey very interesting also.
i really think it depends on how long you can survive with your current roster. Im fine rolling with collins Harris and Herbert this week so I don’t want to go all in on Henry. Next week and the week after though I may need rbs so I’m really just playing chicken.

I wish I could quantify how much it hurts you to spend on elite rbs now vs holding faab advantage for later. I’m guessing faab is a lot more valuable than people give credit for since the next 7 weeks of waivers will be way better than the first 7 and should be cheaper.

I would not touch Gibson. I think you spend for elites not overpay for injury prone guys who peaked this year. Can’t see how he’s going to get better than he had with injury.

Tough call on bidding on Henry that high or not. Nice to have him but also nice for some other team to not be able to bid again.

I survived with the highest points for the week.  What a waste!

This week we have the following up for bid:

• Kyler Murray
  • CMC
  • James Robinson
  • Melvin Gordon
  • Chubba Hubbard
  • Tyreek Hill
  • Julio Jones
  • Mark Andrews
  • Zach Ertz
Biggest balance has $815...$267 more then second highest. Then there's a group of 4 from $548-$473. Then the rest with not much to spend. Hopefully,  Top budget guy blows his wad a bit this week to bring him back to the pack.

My biggest need is WR.  Not a lot of help there.  I'm sitting at $506 left.  I'm 4th highest money.  I don't want to break the bank for Hill right now.  I'm hoping people forget about Jerry Juedy but I may be waiting another week to solve my WR depth problems.
so I think what you want are guys who are not elite name wr like tyreek that you have to op for but emerging names. AJ went for value for quite awhile. Not I’m assuming the discount is over after last week. But that’s the type of guy I’d look for for cheap. I like jeudy and am happy with him for 30. Won’t kill me if I need to drop him. Maybe someone like Lockett who sucks now but has Wilson coming back in week 10 possibly.

julio for cheap may be a good dart throw. Maybe people wrote him off and you get him for Pennies. Could re emerge in a few weeks like aj did.

i really think it depends on how long you can survive with your current roster. Im fine rolling with collins Harris and Herbert this week so I don’t want to go all in on Henry. Next week and the week after though I may need rbs so I’m really just playing chicken.

I wish I could quantify how much it hurts you to spend on elite rbs now vs holding faab advantage for later. I’m guessing faab is a lot more valuable than people give credit for since the next 7 weeks of waivers will be way better than the first 7 and should be cheaper.

I would not touch Gibson. I think you spend for elites not overpay for injury prone guys who peaked this year. Can’t see how he’s going to get better than he had with injury.

If I can get a stud like Najee and have him in my lineup the rest of the way (to go with J.Robinson and D.Harris) then I may not need anyone for a while anyway.  That's what I'm thinking at this point anyhow.  Looking at the rosters I don't see anyone with top RBs going out anytime soon, so that has me leaning towards blowing my wad on Najee.

I paid up for Kamara last week.  If his usage continues like this, which was CMC usage in the passing game this past game, then I can ignore RB for a while.  My WR are McLauren, Meyers, and Sanders right now.  I'll keep my eyes open for a bargain, but am not going to break the bank.

Rumors about Minshew getting some play at some point worries me with Hurts as my only QB.  He's been a QB1 every week this year so far even if he's not winning actual games.  His week 14 bye is nice to have.

If I can get a stud like Najee and have him in my lineup the rest of the way (to go with J.Robinson and D.Harris) then I may not need anyone for a while anyway.  That's what I'm thinking at this point anyhow.  Looking at the rosters I don't see anyone with top RBs going out anytime soon, so that has me leaning towards blowing my wad on Najee.

Looking it over again, it's possible that Henry, Ekeler, or Mixon could be available in the next couple of weeks.  But even if they are, there are still 4 teams with $400+ to spend who will likely go all-in for them as well.  So that doesn't seem to dissuade me from using my $ on Najee and hopefully stay out of the trash for a while.

Hurl Bruce said:
I paid up for Kamara last week.  If his usage continues like this, which was CMC usage in the passing game this past game, then I can ignore RB for a while.  My WR are McLauren, Meyers, and Sanders right now.  I'll keep my eyes open for a bargain, but am not going to break the bank.

Rumors about Minshew getting some play at some point worries me with Hurts as my only QB.  He's been a QB1 every week this year so far even if he's not winning actual games.  His week 14 bye is nice to have.

Honestly, there's enough quality backup QBs that you can pick them up for cheap when they drop. Guys like Cousins / Burrow. Heck even Tua had a decent two game stretch. No reason not to pickup one of these guys now as insurance. Otherwise you may be caught with your pants down during a week where Hurts gets pulled and spending $200 on Mahomes.

Honestly, there's enough quality backup QBs that you can pick them up for cheap when they drop. Guys like Cousins / Burrow. Heck even Tua had a decent two game stretch. No reason not to pickup one of these guys now as insurance. Otherwise you may be caught with your pants down during a week where Hurts gets pulled and spending $200 on Mahomes.
Our waivers run at 11.  I put in a low offer for Murray and a even lower $3 bid for Russell Wilson hoping if I get him that he's back by week 14.

I can't figure what to bid on CMC though.  I have $506 left, and league dominator has me 4th in the power rankings as is.  Right now I have a $107 bid on him and a $102 bid on James Robinson.  I'm dropping the same player, so I won't get both.  Current RBs are Kamara, Damien Harris, Michael Carter, Booker, and Herbert, so I don't need help asap.  Is it just not worth it to even bid on him even if I get him for that price?

Our waivers run at 11.  I put in a low offer for Murray and a even lower $3 bid for Russell Wilson hoping if I get him that he's back by week 14.

I can't figure what to bid on CMC though.  I have $506 left, and league dominator has me 4th in the power rankings as is.  Right now I have a $107 bid on him and a $102 bid on James Robinson.  I'm dropping the same player, so I won't get both.  Current RBs are Kamara, Damien Harris, Michael Carter, Booker, and Herbert, so I don't need help asap.  Is it just not worth it to even bid on him even if I get him for that price?
ive been trying to figure out mccaffrey and there’s just no info on his injury. Some think it’s season ending. But he is eligible to come back next week. Its a risk. But it could be a season winning risk. I think if you don’t need him immediately and have a bench spot he’s worth a stash. But I don’t think you spend whatever you can’t afford to lose. If you had 200 faab left I wouldn’t risk half of it. But if you have like 600 then a bid around there is fine. I’d prefer Robinson at this point.

Probably lose but don’t feel bad about that because you may get another shot next week at mccaffrey and we’d know more about whether he comes off IR.

Waivers just processed

Interesting week of bids. This week's bids are a lot closer to market value than any week so far. There are no huge overbids at all this week really.

James Robinson $280, overbid by 30
Tyreek Hill 273, overbid by 23
CMC 200, overbid by 21
Mark Andrews 101, overbid by 0!!! Guess this team won the tie-breaker.
Kyler Murray 69, overbid by 11
Melvin Gordon 55, overbid by 34
Julio Jones 27, overbid by 2
Russell Wilson 26, overbid by 23
Sterling Shepherd 25, overbid by 18
Jerry Juedy 21*, overbid by 21
Kenyon Drake 11, overbid by 11
Zach Ertz 8*, overbid by 2

*was not the highest submitted bid for this player.

Users who are viewing this thread