What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Peyton & Eli Manning - alternate MNF program: ‘The ManningCast’ (1 Viewer)

Peyton has been pretty likable in Peyton’s Places. He clearly has good knowledge a d insight into the game and has the ability to communicate well. I’m up for giving it a shot.

Peyton has been pretty likable in Peyton’s Places. He clearly has good knowledge a d insight into the game and has the ability to communicate well. I’m up for giving it a shot.
They just need to figure how how to work with Eli when his tongue is too big for his mouth. 

REDZONE and the volume control is all I need.

All that terrible commentating means nothing to me, it might as well not even exist.

TZM

I've always wanted the option of having a broadcast with former players and coaches that gets more into Xs and Os.  This sounds like a good start and I'll definitely give it a go.

I also wish they add an option for swapping out either of the teams' radio play by play for the regular announcers.  

Not MNF, but Is it just me or did anyone else get annoyed by Tony Romo's voice?  He has a terrible announcing voice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will actually watch MNF if it's like this. That was great. 
It was watchable for the most part.  Eli had two great lines that made me laugh. 1) quarters or $10k & 2) orange slices at halftime. 😂

I love they had Barkley, Kelce, Ray Lewis & Russell Wilson drop in.

But what the hell with putting live game action on the small split screen just to show Peyton call a play in a undersized helmet?

Never, never, ever put live game action on the small split screen!  NEVER!

I might give it a shot next week.

I forgot about it, so I didn't make the switch until Ray Lewis was on. From then on, I couldn't have loved it more. Easily the best broadcast to watch. I was 100X more interested in this than any traditional announcing. 

Maybe I'm in the minority, and I'll admit to be the furthest thing from a casual fan, but hearing play/QB read analysis in real time(or even before it happened) mixed in with some jokes, easily beats your typical cliches and human interest stories. Hopefully they don't change it too much, because it would be super on brand for Disney/ESPN to take something people liked, and ruin it.

But yeah, 10/10 looking forward to the next one. 

count me in as enjoying it more than a regular broadcast.  but only for games i dont really care about.  which is probably about 99% of them until the playoffs.  

CFB would be a different story for me.  ill take regular broadcasters most of the time.  

“Mannings' "MNF" broadcast jumps 138%, averages 1.9 million

NEW YORK (AP) The ''Monday Night Football'' presentation with Peyton and Eli Manning increased its viewership by 138% over last week's debut, becoming the most-watched alternate telecast in ESPN history.

ESPN and Nielsen reported that the Mannings' freewheeling telecast of the Green Bay Packers' 35-17 victory over the Detroit Lions on ESPN2 averaged 1.9 million viewers. The Week 1 overtime thriller between the Baltimore Ravens and Las Vegas Raiders averaged 800,000.

The previous high for an ESPN alternate presentation was 1.03 million for the January 2018 College Football Playoff championship game between Alabama and Georgia on ESPN2.

Monday night's game had an overall average of 13.81 million across ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPN Deportes.

The Mannings are scheduled to do eight more Monday night games this season, including next week's contest between the Philadelphia Eagles and Dallas Cowboys. The remaining seven have not been determined.

NFL viewership is up 14% over the first two weeks last year, according to the league and Nielsen. The 17.7 million average viewership is the highest since 2016.

The Dallas Cowboys' victory over the Los Angeles Rams on CBS late Sunday afternoon averaged 24.29 million, making it the most-watched program on television for the week.

The NBC ''Sunday Night Football'' game between the Kansas City Chiefs and Baltimore Ravens averaged 20.8 million on TV and online”

Watched it for a few minutes, didn’t care for it and the divided screen was enough for me to turn to the other broadcast. 
i might check it out again with the positive reviews here. 

It has a good, bar type of vibe.  Insights into the mind of a QB an d offensive decisions.  Not afraid to call out mistakes or missed opportunities.  Saw Favre on Monday and his anecdotes and thoughts were fun to listen to in the game.  Enjoyed this more than the normal broadcast.

Definitely an interesting novel approach to the usual talking heads.  The quality tends to ebb and flow depending on which guest star pops in, but I'd definitely watch it if the matchup is marginal.  Not sure if the novelty will wear thin after a while.

I enjoyed the insight the Mannings provided.  Favre was good, once he got it out.  That might have been him fighting tech issues, though.  

I'd like to see a defensive mind paired with Peyton on the broadcast.

Unwatchable

Eli doesn't say much and Peyton feels more like the insurance commercial. He was mildly funny at his HoF speech and it was written ahead of time and rehearsed. He is not good at saying things in time as they unfold. His timing in football was almost unmatched but his timing in TVLand is woeful. 

The guests don't add much either, last week Lewis was boring. Another failure by ESPN and quite frankly the current trio they have on the main telecast might be one of the best since Gifford left the booth. Levy does a great job of calling the game but he also can add a little color while he is doing it to help set up his partners. Griese is the guy you want over to have a couple drinks with, he does have insight but he also says some really dumb things or can appear dumb but when you have the other two, somebody has to yield and he does a good job of taking on the young guy role even though he isn't that young any more. Riddick is strong as the 3rd guy, his experience in the FO for an NFL team cannot be underestimated when he is talking Xs and Os. 

Ministry of Pain said:
Unwatchable

Eli doesn't say much and Peyton feels more like the insurance commercial. He was mildly funny at his HoF speech and it was written ahead of time and rehearsed. He is not good at saying things in time as they unfold. His timing in football was almost unmatched but his timing in TVLand is woeful. 

The guests don't add much either, last week Lewis was boring. Another failure by ESPN and quite frankly the current trio they have on the main telecast might be one of the best since Gifford left the booth. Levy does a great job of calling the game but he also can add a little color while he is doing it to help set up his partners. Griese is the guy you want over to have a couple drinks with, he does have insight but he also says some really dumb things or can appear dumb but when you have the other two, somebody has to yield and he does a good job of taking on the young guy role even though he isn't that young any more. Riddick is strong as the 3rd guy, his experience in the FO for an NFL team cannot be underestimated when he is talking Xs and Os. 
where did the good ole fun loving open a can of tuna and ff owner go?  

I enjoy the Mannings broadcast more than the normal group, even though I have no issues with the normal broadcast.  Some guests are definitely not as good as others and the technology issue seems to derail some guest speakers.   I noticed that Eli speaks a lot less when the guests are on and I think that’s partly because Peyton and the guest end up talking over each other a lot so one more voice would magnify that.  The lag that the guest experiences throws it off and the guests and the Mannings are not polished with handling a 3 way convo with lag.   I think this part will get better but still have cringe worthy moments.  

Even with the issues that make the broadcast less clean, I still enjoy it more since the banter and stories are enjoyable.  

I just enjoy it because it's different.  Years after years of watching football with announcers, I typically find myself tuning the announcers out, or watching with the volume low because of other stuff going on around me (wife/kids/etc) so not having announcers is kind of refreshing. 

Peyton, Eli Manning Monday Night Football broadcast doubles viewership in Week 2

Correction/clarification: A previous version of this story incorrectly reported details of a story Eli Manning told about meeting Brett Favre. Manning, who was 17 at the time, said he left the bar because his friend wouldn't sneak in. 

In one week, Peyton and Eli Manning's accompanying Monday Night Football telecast on ESPN2 more than doubled in viewership. 

ESPN said Tuesday that the Mannings' broadcast of the Green Bay Packers-Detroit Lions game garnered 1.9 million viewers, up from 800,000 (a 132% increase). 

Meanwhile, ESPN's traditional broadcast with Steve Levy, Louis Riddick and Brian Griese drew 11.9 million. 

The Manning brothers' Week 2 guests included Pat McAfee, Brett Favre and Rob Gronkowski. The hilarity and hijinks were on display once again, with Eli telling a story about meeting Favre in a bar when he was 17, Gronkowski informing the world he does not watch film and McAfee visibly sweating his wagers in the game's closing minutes. 

The Mannings' deal with ESPN, run through Peyton's production company "Omaha Productions," is for 10 games in the next three seasons. 

Joe Bryant said:
Not at all for me. I think Romo is outstanding. 

I thought Mannings were ok. 
Romo is quite a bit more polished. I enjoyed his work on MNF as well. 

The Mannings are a little chaotic - too many jokes that fall flat, they sometimes talk over each other & they're not as charismatic as Romo. Eli isn’t charismatic at all. 

The positives are that Eli is truly an outstanding technical observer - he diagnoses the plays & identifies all the key parts incredibly fast. And he articulates it well also. He sounds like a coach. 

Peyton gives more insight from the QB perspective, and while he’s more charismatic than his brother, he’s still kind of a potato at times.

That all said, it’s way better than the MNF crew. 

The positives are the Eli is truly an outstanding technical observer - he diagnoses the plays & identifies all the key parts incredibly fast. And he articulates it well also. He sounds like a coach. 

Peyson gives more insight from the QB perspective, and whole more charismatic than his brother, he’s still kind of a potato at times.

That all said, it’s way better than the MNF crew. 
Totally agree

daveR said:
I'd like to see a defensive mind paired with Peyton on the broadcast.
Ray Lewis on the Week 2 show was the best guest segment yet imo. 
But a big part of the reason was Peyton busting on Eli about his miserable performance against the Ravens his rookie year.   :lol:

The week 1 discussion where Peyton said Wilson's wife was wearing a ring he wanted, and Wilson countered by saying Tom (Brady) had one he wanted, was better banter than I've heard on MNF in 10 years. 

Didn't root for Peyton or Eli during their careers, but I'm very much enjoying their commentary. 

At the risk of sounding conceited, I can't really listen to most announce crews. They usually know a lot less than I do, whether that is actually knowing less, or they are dumbing down for a casual fan is a worthy debate that probably has a case by case answer, but too often I just find myself noticing things they say that are just flat out wrong, and find myself be much in tune with what is happening than they are.

There are basically 3 announce teams I like right now:

Nance/Romo, Romo's discussion of QB reads, protection calls, and progression/checkdown concepts is always entertaining, and he's at pretty high energy, which is nice too. Nance is a decent partner and they seem to have a good back and forth during lulls.

Michaels/Collinsworth, Michaels is one of those voices that just makes everything feel more important. Collinsworth is outstanding at breaking down route concepts and WR/CB matchups, though he seems to be doing that less often, can't help but think that is probably less on him, and more on NBC. 

Gus Johnson/Aqib Talib, Gus is just a ball of energy and its great. Talib is very knowledgeable about defense and also occasionally has some Tracy Morgan-like moments where he says some silly stuff that amuses me for just how silly it is. A great example this week was him saying Minnesota should play man, although its not a good idea to play man against Hopkins, so maybe they should play zone, but Hopkins is great against zone, followed by like 5 seconds of silence, and him saying, "man I don't know what I'd do" 

The Mannings are a breath of fresh air, in that its a great mix of humor, and encyclopedic knowledge mixed together. Instantly my favorite way to watch the games. Hopefully ESPN doesn't screw with it too much, though Peyton likely has enough sway to curb that. 

Watched it for the first time this week. Was fantastic.  Really enjoyed it.  
Only thing I didn’t like was when the guest has a bad connection and the audio is choppy.  I get enough of that via my cell service and don’t really want to listen to it while watching TV.  

I loved the Farve segment this week when Rodgers threw that bullet if a TD to Tonyan and seeing their reactions.  So cool to see 2 of the best to ever do it (and that Eli guy who ever he is) react in real-time to a great throw.  

Tonight I thought the stafford join in with Peyton and Eli was fantastic. Lebron was good too. The fact is the Manning bros have a connection to so many qbs bc of the Manning academy and playing that it makes for a fun watch. 

It’s a great watch and rendered the main MNF telecast completely irrelevant. Now they’re off until week 7 unfortunately. I wonder how these numbers compare to the ESPN telecast. I would bet they are losing viewers to this program as the weeks continue and more people learn about this option.

TV GOLD. love it. it's bad that you'll miss Louis Riddick who is STELLAR at commentary, but Mannings are awesome.funny as hell too. the one arm pit sweat stain but the other is dry.LOL. boy-medium jeans Eli is wearing ( peyton's words).haa.classic stuff

It’s a great watch and rendered the main MNF telecast completely irrelevant. Now they’re off until week 7 unfortunately. I wonder how these numbers compare to the ESPN telecast. I would bet they are losing viewers to this program as the weeks continue and more people learn about this option.
Yea I'm not sure if the NFL is happy or concerned about this for the future of the broadcast. 

I enjoyed them quite a bit this week. They are funny and I enjoy the witty back and forth brotherly banter.
I thought they were unwatchable Week 1 with Ray Lewis and I never heard Eli open his mouth when I switched over plus I sorta like the MNF Booth they have assembled and nobody can ever do what the original godfathers of the booth did back in the 70s but these guys are pretty solid and Griese gaffes can be funny. That said,I found myself tuning in and switching over mostly because the game was basically a blowout. Dallas gift wrapped the Eagles their only score of the 1st half so there wasn't much to really listen to on the main telecast and then I saw Eli imitate Dak's dance and I started to reboot my entire thought about what they are doing over there. 

Peyton is either going to own an NFL team or be a Team President which if that's what he wanted to do he probably would already have done it so my guess is part ownership with a small % stake at first but total control of the front office maybe even an acting title there as well. So this TV broadcast they are doing is IMO laying the tracks for Manning when he becomes an eventual owner int he NFL. People are getting to see both Mannings in a way that seems honest and real to many of the viewers, also doesn't hurt either of them if they ever decided to try their hand in politics which i don't believe they do but I could see one of them if they desired, could pull something like that off and this platform allows for interaction with almost no politics which makes it easier to connect with a wide audience which they obviously are doing, people are talking about this now. 

This week was great but Saban didn’t loosen up for it at all. He was the worst guest since it started. The Mannings threw him queues to riff on a play here and there & dude just kept droning on and on about his program, recruiting, etc. it’s as tough Saban wasn’t even watching the game. Plus he was boring & monotonic. I kept thinking, “whoa - people get fired up to play for this bump on a log? Really?” 

All the other guests were great. Stafford seems like a terrific guy & i’m even happier to roster him now, even though it means rooting for the Rams. 🤢 

Users who are viewing this thread