What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Xavier Jones, LAR RB (1 Viewer)

Looks really good in some of those runs. Wonder how comfortable LA will be going into the season with Henderson and Jones as their guys.

Jones is a nearly 25 year-old 5'11", 210 lb. 2020 UDFA out of SMU. He led the NCAA in touchdowns at the FBS level in 2019-2020. He's on the Rams. Check the highlights out. Big enough and shifty enough. Never invited to the Combine.

Highlights:

https://youtu.be/SStiQvdWCGw?t=2
Wish we had some testing data on him. It's suspicious that his monster season came as a 5th year senior. The year prior he was 3rd on the team in carries. 

Give me that stuff that funk that sweet that funky stuff 

translates to don't sleep on Jake Funk

Give me that stuff that funk that sweet that funky stuff 

translates to don't sleep on Jake Funk
I do love funk.

I haven't seen Jake play yet though so no opinion about him.

Just reading rockactions OP on Xavier Jones doesn't have me thinking he is going to do much.

I do love funk.

I haven't seen Jake play yet though so no opinion about him.

Just reading rockactions OP on Xavier Jones doesn't have me thinking he is going to do much.
He just needs to get on the field and he can provide something. Rams RBs have been pretty effective the last couple years so long as you can ID who is getting the biggest share of the workload that game. 

He just needs to get on the field and he can provide something. Rams RBs have been pretty effective the last couple years so long as you can ID who is getting the biggest share of the workload that game. 
I started a thread on Funk. Just learning about him now.

Wish we had some testing data on him. It's suspicious that his monster season came as a 5th year senior. The year prior he was 3rd on the team in carries. 
I don't recall the details, but there was a good reason for this. Should still be skeptical of the breakout, but if I remember right this wasn't a case of the guy not being good enough til he was older than everyone else. 

I don't recall the details, but there was a good reason for this. Should still be skeptical of the breakout, but if I remember right this wasn't a case of the guy not being good enough til he was older than everyone else. 
Here is the breakdown from I am looking at.

Freshman year he gets 150 carries so that's a nice start to the career getting a big share of the backfield work. Sophomore year clearly gets hurt (think I read ACL tear) as he only played 2 games. Comes back healthy for his 3rd year and immediately picks up where he left off rushing for 1000 yards. Then something weird happens. His 4th year he only gets 69 carries over 10 games. 2 other RBs get more work than he does. Why? The other guys in the backfield didn't to particularly well either, Jones ran for 4.5 ypc. The other two backs were 4.5 and 4.3. Then in the 5th year, Jones got 264 touches and scores 25 TDs. It actually looks like a pretty standard trajectory except for that bizarre 4th season. 

Going into his 4th season (RS Jr) he was on the Doak Walker and Maxwell Award Preseason Watch Lists and then the coach only started him once. Really bizarre. 

I dont think I remembered right. Limited myself to 10 minutes to search and came up snake eyes. I must've just made a note of him cause they made room for a rookie udfa rb on the roster then never played him. 

I was just being dispassionate. I like his highlights a bunch. His breakout year and age, as ilov80s points out, is a concern. But he was a UDFA that they kept around last year and this one, presumably so he didn't get poached by another team. I think they like him. We'll see.

I was just being dispassionate. I like his highlights a bunch. His breakout year and age, as ilov80s points out, is a concern. But he was a UDFA that they kept around last year and this one, presumably so he didn't get poached by another team. I think they like him. We'll see.
I have only watched the highlights you posted. The cut on the first play is really sweet.

I have been watching Funk as well but its apples to oranges and I need to find something better to watch for Jones than this to make a fair comparison between the two.

From what I have seen so far Jones seems higher energy and better make you miss ability than what Funk has.

Added the first post in the Henderson topic about Xavier back in June, drafted him with the final pick in our May rookie/free agent draft. Guess I should have created a post. 

My blurb from our May 9th league rookie/free agent draft commentary:

RB Xavier Jones, LAR - highlights

With the final pick in the 2021 USDA draft, Mr Irrelevant is...

... a guy that needs no introduct... ah he probably does actually. Fills the Rams #3 RB voided when Malcolm Brown moved on. Xavier wasn't invited to the Combine last year. No clue why when you look at the highlights. COVID hit and he went undrafted in a terrific RB class. Can only imagine where he would have went in this year's crappy class. Highlight reel is eerily similar to Darrell Henderson's, just with a slightly taller guy at 5'11" 208lbs. Rams have a RB type. Kept an eyeball on him all last year, but not a single carry, so not a worry that he would be here for me at this pick. Rams kept him on the active roster (special teams) all year in fears that another team would pluck him off the practice squad. Dude is shifty as hell and just kept scoring TDs (45 rushing, 3 receiving, 2 passing for SMU - the 48 rush/receiving tied former Ram Eric Dickerson's team record). Hoping to see some pre-season action this year.
From the Henderson thread in June in response to the comment that the Rams didn't bring anyone in when Brown departed:

They have a RB on the roster that scored 45 rushing, 3 receiving, and 2 passing TDs in college. Xavier Jones

Fun fact: the 48 rushing/receiving TDs equals former Ram Eric Dickerson's college team record.
Hoping he works out!

He looks elusive in closed quarters in highlights, but when he gets space, he just looks like he lacks the next gear you expect to see. I searched his 40 time… not sure if it is ‘official’ but listed as 4.66. That’s pretty much what my eyes see.

He looks elusive in closed quarters in highlights, but when he gets space, he just looks like he lacks the next gear you expect to see. I searched his 40 time… not sure if it is ‘official’ but listed as 4.66. That’s pretty much what my eyes see.
That was my first take as well. Really nice lateral movement though, but stuck in first gear when he has a lane.

I bid $7 of my $100 budget on him.  It doesn't rollover to the following year and last year I believe I didn't use all mine.  I am taking a different approach in this league this year.

2 other bids of 6, and 2. So I "won" the bid.

Last edited by a moderator:
10% seems high. Wow. 
In one of my leagues we have 100 blind bid bucks for the offseason and it resets to 100 when the regular season starts. Jones went for 34 this morning (I bid 14), which I think is find knowing you still have 100 to start the season. 

FAAB bid for this dude on a $500 budget? 

Or don’t bother with either of the backups? 
Depends on the depth of the league. All of mine are idp...I already have him stashed in a 55 man. I did a search for him in a 63 back in spring and he was already on a roster. I looked for him in one 41 after yesterday's news and he was already on a roster there too. He was available in the other 40 though. I considered cutting Chris Evans or Jaret Patterson for him, but ultimately they're all in very similar situations. Young RB's with a path to a RB2 job, but hurdles in the way to get there. I know more about those 2 than Jones, so I didn't put a claim in.

That's my long winded way of saying I think he belongs in the same tier as those types of young backup RB's. What's that mean from a FAAB perspective? Depends if those types are already on rosters.

The Athletic's Jourdan Rodrigue said RB Xavier Jones "may quietly be one of the Rams’ better assets this fall," depending on Darrell Henderson's health. 

Barring a splashy free agent signing -- a distinct possibility after the Rams lost Cam Akers to an Achilles injury -- Jones could be the next guy up after Henderson, the default No. 1 back following the Akers injury. Henderson has struggled through injuries in his two NFL seasons, missing four games and parts of others with a variety of minor injuries. Jones, 24 in August, is an undrafted free agent out of Southern Methodist University (SMU) who recorded nearly 1,300 rushing yards and 23 rushing scores in his final collegiate season. Rodrigue said Akers' season-ending injury almost guarantees seventh-round rookie RB Jake Funk -- an analytics darling -- will make the Rams' final roster. Funk, 23, suffered two ACL injuries and a broken hand in college, limiting his opportunity at Maryland, where he gained 7.2 yards per carry on 135 attempts. Henderson missing time in 2021 could open up opportunities for Jones and Funk, both of whom will be highly coveted by Zero RB drafters this summer. 

RELATED: 

Cam Akers

, Darrell Henderson

, Jake Funk

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Jul 21, 2021, 9:00 AM ET

smbkrypt24 said:
I bid $7 of my $100 budget on him.  It doesn't rollover to the following year and last year I believe I didn't use all mine.  I am taking a different approach in this league this year.

2 other bids of 6, and 2. So I "won" the bid.
Same, I bid $64 out of $1000. No one else bid. 

MAC_32 said:
Depends on the depth of the league. All of mine are idp...I already have him stashed in a 55 man. I did a search for him in a 63 back in spring and he was already on a roster. I looked for him in one 41 after yesterday's news and he was already on a roster there too. He was available in the other 40 though. I considered cutting Chris Evans or Jaret Patterson for him, but ultimately they're all in very similar situations. Young RB's with a path to a RB2 job, but hurdles in the way to get there. I know more about those 2 than Jones, so I didn't put a claim in.

That's my long winded way of saying I think he belongs in the same tier as those types of young backup RB's. What's that mean from a FAAB perspective? Depends if those types are already on rosters.
Good lord.

I tried and placed about a 10% bid. He went for 20%. I am actually really bummed about Jones. He’s almost certainly going to get touches this year.
I caught a break with Jones, as my league's offseason waiver setting is FCFS all day, every day, and someone beats me to the punch on hot summer acquisitions almost always. I hope it works out for me.

Mcvay is not stupid. He can say whatever he wants now but the cold hard fact is he has no other back that has taken a snap in the NFL besides Henderson.. They will be adding a veteran. You just need someone at the position that has been through the ups and downs to keep the running back room straight.  Mcvay has been around enough to know this. Jones could be special or he might not be. A UDFA that was a 5-year senior no numbers on him pre-draft seems odd. His Junior season seems odd too. He does have some burst but every NFL team passed on him 7 times. I see him splitting the backup role with a veteran with that said he is getting on the field and he will get his shot. I would add him but at a fair price. Overpaying just for a lighting bolt chance seems a bit risky. I understand the thought process especially with James Robinson still fresh in everyone's minds but in the history of the NFL he is facing an uphill battle. He made it through a tough rookie season and they kept him on the roster. He is worth the add but at the right price.

I'm no expert but Matt Stafford better get a fresh tube of bengay ready. He is going to be slinging the ball over the yard. He might need a massage after every game. 😀
David Johnson makes the most sense here (my salary-cap ignorance engaged).  As a Henderson/Johnson owner, I don't hate the idea.

My league has a "2 Part Draft" .... Rounds 1-3 in May (I traded away all my picks) & Rounds 4-5 starting August 15.  

Vets and Rookies are eligible.  I have the 4.01, 4.04 & 5.01 picks.  Until LAR sign a Vet RB, X is my leading target at 4.01 pick  

There are some decent flyer names available....  Jacob Harris, Tevin Coleman, Pringle, McKinnon, Scott Boston, Gio, Pooka, Noah Gray

I need Training Camp info!  

I think either AP or Bell end up being the choice.
Bell might be too dysfunctional to be a high candidate for LA / McVay.  His selfish persona will likely turn them away from his consideration. 

I would think McVay goes with a stable Vet RB.  After reading Gut Check ... I like the Sony Michel or Mark Ingram move to LAR.  Both are inexpensive financial risk and low investment for trade value.  Not sure what NEP wants for Sony?  4th Round pick?  Ingram for a 5th?  

Bell might be too dysfunctional to be a high candidate for LA / McVay.  His selfish persona will likely turn them away from his consideration. 

I would think McVay goes with a stable Vet RB.  After reading Gut Check ... I like the Sony Michel or Mark Ingram move to LAR.  Both are inexpensive financial risk and low investment for trade value.  Not sure what NEP wants for Sony?  4th Round pick?  Ingram for a 5th?  
You may be right. The more I think about it the more I think they make a wild move. They are historically aggressive and they want to win now. It is an interesting situation but one thing is almost a sure thing and that is the Rams won’t sit still on the matter.

Users who are viewing this thread