What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 1/6 Select Committee thread*** (1 Viewer)

The Acting SecDef memo when looked at through a timeline:

Also on Jan. 3: An internal Capitol Police intelligence report warns of a violent scenario in which “Congress itself” could be the target of angry Trump supporters in the upcoming rally.

“Supporters of the current president see January 6, 2021, as the last opportunity to overturn the results of the presidential election,” the memo states. “This sense of desperation and disappointment may lead to more of an incentive to become violent. Unlike previous post-election protests, the targets of the pro-Trump supporters are not necessarily the counter-protesters as they were previously, but rather Congress itself is the target on the 6th.”

Jan. 4: Miller issues a memo to Army Secretary Ryan McCarthy requiring Miller’s “personal authorization” for the DC National Guard to employ “riot control agents” and other tactics

Jan. 4: The National Park Service increases the crowd estimate on the January 6 rally permit to 30,000 – up from the original 5,000 in December.

Also on Jan. 4: Capitol Police Chief Steven Sund asks the Senate and House sergeants at arms for permission to put the National Guard on emergency standby. They reject that idea and suggest instead that he informally seek out his Guard contacts, asking them to “lean forward” and be on alert in case the Capitol Police need help.

Jan. 5: The FBI office in Norfolk, Virginia issues a warning that extremists are preparing to travel to Washington to commit violence and “war.”

Also on Jan. 5: Rep. Mo Brooks (R-AL) receives a call from White House Political Director Brian Jack asking him to speak at the “Stop the Steal” rally on January 6. Brooks agrees.

January 6, 2021...

Timeline with links
I hadn't seen this before.  thanks for posting.

I remember in the old thread, lack of security was definitely blamed for the violence.  It seems to me to be prudent to understand why security was so obviously lacking, especially with advanced warning.

I hadn't seen this before.  thanks for posting.

I remember in the old thread, lack of security was definitely blamed for the violence.  It seems to me to be prudent to understand why security was so obviously lacking, especially with advanced warning.
10,000 foot level reason:

The National Guard only responds when invited and they weren't invited until after the events began.  It's clear there was a phone call and a request for help.  There is a dispute as to what the answer is.  One group says the request was rejected because of the "optics" of sending in the NG.  The other group says the response was that the approving audience was NOT on the phone and those on the phone were NOT authorized to deploy the troops and if they did deploy the troops a plan as how they would be used was required.  So the initial response was "oh, that will look bad, we can't do that" or the response was to wrap it up in bureaucratic red tape.  That's why it took so long.

At one time there was only one 1-6 thread, but it was locked.  Now there are four threads.  Wasn't there a movie about not blowing up the creature because then it would just spawn more?

Last edited by a moderator:
At one time there was only one 1-6 thread, but it was locked.  Now there are four threads.  Wasn't there a movie about not blowing up the creature because then it would just spawn more?
To be fair, two of the threads are completely pointless and will probably be locked or deleted.

So we under prosecute BLM rioters and over prosecute conservatives.  Lefties love to insert politics into the justice system.  We used to value a fair and just system of justice.  
Insurrection carries a much harder penalty then rioting.  

I don't think its fair that you would call Conservatives, Insurrectionists.  It was only a handful.  There are many Conservatives that are law abiding citizens.

I don't think its fair that you would call Conservatives, Insurrectionists.  It was only a handful.  There are many Conservatives that are law abiding citizens.
Huh?  If taking over 6 square blocks of a city isn't an Insurrection, then nothing is.

So we under prosecute BLM rioters and over prosecute conservatives.  Lefties love to insert politics into the justice system.  We used to value a fair and just system of justice.  
Yep.

This committee is going to be yet another sham by the Democrats.  Just like Trump's impeachment trial

I predicted that this would happen, when the mods locked the only 1-6 thread - that it would just result in creating multiple Jan 6 threads to cover all the issues that needed to be discussed. Was hoping that I would be wrong.   :kicksrock:

If Schiff is there, Jordan should be there.  R's opinion of Schiff is identical to D's opinion of Jordan.
I recall Republican Lindsey Graham admitting how impressive Schiff was at the impeachment hearing with his closing arguments. Go back and listen how right Schiff was. Jordan has never done or said anything that would impress a Democrat...that I can guarantee. I disagree with your comparison.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/24/us/politics/adam-schiff-closing-remarks.html

At one time I was tempted to start a thread called Trump's 1/6 love fest  where we could post all the "love" these so called "peaceful" protesters showed the Capital police.

Nobody is being charged with insurrection.  

To be fair, I think many of us have always valued, and still do value, a fair and just system of justice.  We've just never had one.
And that is fundamentally why this nation is going to go to blows.  This mindset of the left that in order to fix past sins we have to make up for it by punishing people who had nothing to do with it is so repulsive and disgusting.  

Yep..pushing for a fair and just system of justice is framed as punishing people...pretty much sums up the divide perfectly.  I think we can shut this thread down now :thumbup:  

Yep..pushing for a fair and just system of justice is framed as punishing people...pretty much sums up the divide perfectly.  I think we can shut this thread down now :thumbup:  
Only perfect if you are being completely dishonest and intentionally ignoring the real point.  But that is the political mindset and why people hate the media and politicians and why most posters stay away from this forum.  

How many 1/6 convictions have their been?   How many of those convicted were sentenced outside of the sentencing guidelines for the conviction?  How many have been sentenced above the guidelines?

Edit - Sorry added this question as part of the discussion but now realize this is the wrong thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only perfect if you are being completely dishonest and intentionally ignoring the real point.  But that is the political mindset and why people hate the media and politicians and why most posters stay away from this forum.  
I am going by the words you put on the page.  Perhaps it would be helpful if you posted the "real point" instead of nonsensical blabber that you apparently expect us to decipher to understand.  Your reply to Rich is LITERALLY what I posted.

To be fair, I think many of us have always valued, and still do value, a fair and just system of justice.  We've just never had one.
And that is fundamentally why this nation is going to go to blows.  This mindset of the left that in order to fix past sins we have to make up for it by punishing people who had nothing to do with it is so repulsive and disgusting.  
If you want to backtrack from this nonsense, then fine.  Otherwise own the words you are putting in this forum.  NO ONE here is going to take the time to "look into your heart" to find what you REALLY mean.  You need to do that yourself.

Well remember the framing. One side is rioters and the other side is simply conservatives.  It’s real easy to be the victim once you see it like that.  

I am going by the words you put on the page.  Perhaps it would be helpful if you posted the "real point" instead of nonsensical blabber that you apparently expect us to decipher to understand.  Your reply to Rich is LITERALLY what I posted.

If you want to backtrack from this nonsense, then fine.  Otherwise own the words you are putting in this forum.  NO ONE here is going to take the time to "look into your heart" to find what you REALLY mean.  You need to do that yourself.
The first person sentence was guilty of entering the Calitol building peacefully, hanging around for about 10 minutes and leaving.  Granted the judge refused the prosecution request to give jail time, but why in the hell are they prosecuting her?  There were thousands upon thousands of violent acts which happened over last summer which are being ignored.  

Well remember the framing. One side is rioters and the other side is simply conservatives.  It’s real easy to be the victim once you see it like that.  
There's not even that much effort.  The replies (apparently) aren't even to the posts...just shifting from one talking point to the other.  See the post above this that has NOTHING to do with what he's replying too, but shame on us for assuming we think their replies have something to do with what they are replying too?  It's just laziness IMO.

There's not even that much effort.  The replies (apparently) aren't even to the posts...just shifting from one talking point to the other.  See the post above this that has NOTHING to do with what he's replying too, but shame on us for assuming we think their replies have something to do with what they are replying too?  It's just laziness IMO.
It’s victimhood IMO.  Apparently playing the victim is the thing now.

guys, we have been having these discussions for six months now.  you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.  

The last thread was shut down because...hell, I don't even know why but I know that this discussion is pointless.  no opinions will be swayed.  

The best we can hope for is that we stay on topic within this thread - the Jan 6 select committee.  That committee has absolutely nothing to do with last summers riots, the sentences handed down by judges, perceived martyrdom, white nationalism/victimhood, Kyle Rittenhouse (we all know that's where we will end up), BLM, Antifa, etc.  Can we please avoid the deflections/distractions? 

TIA

Stop lying @jon_mx

There were over 10,000 arrests within the first 10 days of protests after George Floyd's death.
How many Floyd Protest Riot convictions have their been?   How many of those convicted were sentenced outside of the sentencing guidelines for the conviction?  How many have been sentenced above the guidelines?

Pelosi Says She Plans To Tap Kinzinger And Other Republicans For Jan. 6 Select Committee.

Kinzinger, a vocal Trump opponent who has proven willing to go aftermembers of his own conference, was one of two Republicans to vote to create the committee, along with Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.), who serves on it.

How many Floyd Protest Riot convictions have their been?   How many of those convicted were sentenced outside of the sentencing guidelines for the conviction?  How many have been sentenced above the guidelines?
How many commissions were set up in Congress to investigate?

Capitol attack committee chair Bennie Thompson vows to investigate Trump: ‘Nothing is off limits’

Thompson says he's prepared to depose members of Congress and senior Trump admin officials who might have participated in or aided the attack on the Capitol.

Users who are viewing this thread