What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Your Greatest Ever Dynasty Trade (1 Viewer)

foxco

Footballguy
Not talking ones that are clearly lopsided from the start, but trades that seemed fairly even at the time but turned out completely in your favor. 

Mine is from right after the 2004 season:
Roy Williams had 54 catches, 817 yds 8 TDs as a rookie
Larry Fitzgerald had 58 catches, 780 yards, 8 TDs as a rookie

Both were 1st rounds picks and both produced like future stars.

I traded Roy straight up for Larry, and based on the rookie stats seemed about as even as they come at the time; I thought both were going to be dominant WRs for the next decade or so. One owner who wasn't involved thought I'd made a horrible decision as he viewed Roy as the next TO (he knew Charles Rodgers was a bust) and was convinced Fitz would be playing second fiddle to Anquan Boldin.

Roy had one really good year in 2006 and Fitz played his way into a 1st ballot HOF career that led me to numerous playoff runs and a couple of titles. 

What's yours?

I basically gave up pick 1.10 and a future first for Randy Moss and Jared Allen right before Moss's huge year in NE and Allen getting traded to Minnesota.  It won me the title that year.  

So many, yet so many also went the other way. 

Off hand, I think it was 2003. League was just getting started. I had picked up a few extra firsts and traded 4 1stb round picks for LaDainian Tomlinson. He would retire off my roster 8 years later with a few championships, I think an 8 year playoff stretch and never a losing season.  I don't think the 4 firsts amounted to much. 

2 that immediately come to mind.

Years ago, I gave up a 3rd round rookie pick for a rookie by the name of Lavonte David. Straight up. Got a top 5 LB of the past decade for almost nothing.

Second, again straight up...and again from the same guy lol. I traded a 4th round rookie pick I think 5 years ago in exchange for Austin Ekeler when I just wanted him as a handcuff for Melvin Gordon. That's obviously turned out quite nicely.

I think it was 2004 and the guy who owned LT thought he had too many carries and was getting too old for his team (this guy LOVED rookies and draft picks so I traded him 1.04 for Tomlinson. He used that pick to draft Tatum Bell😳. LT led me to a couple SB championships and another 2-3 that I lost but that’s the trade that sticks out most in my mind. At the time it seemed even but it didn’t turn out that way long term 

I'm sure I had better trades but the one below will always stick out in my head because it has now become a motto I live by in fantasy.  That is screw sitting around and being happy to let someone else pick between guys in the same tier so you just get whoever falls.  If you prefer a guy just go ahead and pay for him even if you might get him anyway.

Gave: 1.04 (Montee Ball), Stevie Johnson, 2nd round pick
Got: 1.03 (Le'Veon)

At the time Stevie Johnson was a pretty valuable player and I got pretty lambasted for the trade because the prevailing thought was why give up a good young WR just to move within the same draft tier.  But Le'Veon was my boy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gave: Pierre Thomas/Reggie Bush

Got: LeSean McCoy/Jason Witten 

Gave: LeSean McCoy/2nd Rounder

Got: Jamaal Charles (McCoy generally regarded higher at the time, but was injured heading into the trade deadline; Jamaal Charles had five touchdowns in week 1 of the FF playoffs).  I won Tim League redraft too with JC... And Peyton's 55 TDs.

In April, I traded Hunt, Shenault and a late 1st (1.31 in a 32 team league) for James Robinson, a 2nd and a 3rd. This turned out to probably be the ATL Falcons of D32's best trade ever.

Probably a bad example but a favorite moment. I don’t remember the specifics but in 2006 I traded for two future 2007 1st rounders. Those picks ended up being Calvin Johnson and Adrian Peterson. Pretty sure I ended up with the better of those trades.

This was in 2017, my first year in a Dynasty league. I traded away Zay Jones and Kevin White for Alfred Morris and Tyreek Hill strait up. The guy I traded with was in his 2nd year in a Dynasty league. Not too shabby.

But on the flip side, two weeks later I traded away Lavonte David and Alvin Kamara for Preston Brown and Tyrell Williams. Both these trades happened before the season started. So yeah.

Few years back before the players I received became relevant.

Traded Julio for CMC, Henry and Will Fuller. Sounds nuts now but Julio was Julio, CMC was the reincarnation of Danny Woodhead and Henry was at a size unlike any successful NFL RB ever. 

#myrhetoricworkedforonce

I was offered Travis Kelce for Le'Veon Bell just when he signed with the Jets. 

He was Rb desperate and Te deep, and making a run.

I got him to throw in Daniel Jones on top, whom I traded for a key RB handcuff, for my third title in 4 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
I traded Sony Michael (and parts) for Chris Godwin (and parts that might have included a high pick cause rbs are way over priced in that league) after Micheal went beast in the playoffs.  Michael never played near that level again and Godwin broke out that season.

Right off the top of my head, I would say Chris Godwin for Patrick Mahomes. However I have yet to win a championship with Mahomes. LOL

In 2014 I traded a backup LB named AJ Klein for a TE that only played one special teams snap his rookie year.  Travis Kelce turned out pretty ok for me.

Example of going the other way but in a dynasty league (no penalty for keepers) in 2013, traded #37 25 yo WR Antonio Brown for #17 29yo James Jones, chasing TD's.  Jones was cut and out of the league shortly thereafter.  Brown of course posted 4 or 5 of the top WR seasons ever.  

Before 2007 rookie draft, traded my 1.4, 2.4 and 2008 1st for the 1.1.

I think the person that I traded the picks to ended up drafting JaMarcus Russell, Paul Poluszny, and James Hardy with them.

I took Adrian Peterson with the 1.1, and proceeded to win the title for 5 of the next 6 years.

Users who are viewing this thread