What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

PSA: Please stop calling your 'back yard' the 'front yard' (1 Viewer)

BigJim®

Footballguy
I can't believe I've had multiple debates over the years on this topic (one yesterday). The side of your house that faces the public road, where your driveway/mailbox is, and yes, where your front door is, is your front yard. I don't care if you are on a lake, on the ocean, or have a team of amazing dancing bears in your backyard. Cool stuff doesn't elevate it to become a front yard. It's a directional designation.

/rant 

Last edited by a moderator:
and, while we're at it ... you carpetbagging folk can quit referring to the front stairs/bannister/etc. as your PORCH ... it's the ####### STOOP 'round these ways, ya damn hayseeds.

:coffee:

But what if it doesn’t self identify as a “front yard”?

What if it is a side yard trapped in your definition of what a front yard should be? 

You can’t dictate how it is supposed to feel!

Have never heard of this before until now.

But, if I'm on a house right on the lake, with a lawn leading up to the sandy beach, that's the front yard and the unkept, gravely, with just a dirt drive way is the back yard. How one can consider that the front yard is kind of looney.  

IDK About your locations, but I live on a corner and my town zoning laws say I have 2 front yards b/c I have land facing 2 streets. It F'ed me pretty hard a few times. 

My house is 15 feet further back then my neighbors b/c when we built it, they determine the "set back" (how far your house is from the street) based on your "longest front yard" which would technically be my side yard. So while all of our properties are pretty much the same (100x150ft), their set back was based on the 100ft width while mine was based on the 150 length even though my house does not face that way. So I lost a good chunk of space I'd rather have in my backyard vs the 15 extra feet of useless lawn to mow in my front.

I cant build anything permanent on that 1/2 of my backyard bc its still considered my "front yard" even though its to the side and behind my house and all behind a fence.  So no sheds or pools or anything, those are all jammed on the other 1/2 of my backyard. 

Before we knew all this, I built my own back deck and about 3ft of it sticks out past the side of my house and into this "front yard area." When we were getting the permits form my pool, the survey showed the old deck like that and they now consider that 3x6 part of my back deck a "front porch" and its technically taxed differently then the rest of the attached deck that is behind my house. 

gotta love zoning

front yards are too big. the only time I spend there is when cutting the grass. wish i could slide my house forward and have a bigger back yard.

One technicality could be where the house faces.  I have seen homes where the back faced the driveway and road, and the front door was in the 'backyard'.

I can't believe I've had multiple debates over the years on this topic (one yesterday). The side of your house that faces the public road, where your driveway/mailbox is, and yes, where your front door is, is your front yard. I don't care if you are on a lake, on the ocean, or have a team of amazing dancing bears in your backyard. Cool stuff doesn't elevate it to become a front yard. It's a directional designation.

/rant 
Hmmmmmm….I grew up on a corner lot. Address was the main road. Mailbox on the main road. Front of house and front door facing the main road.

Driveway, garage and main entrance on the side road. 

Tell me, which was my front yard? 

I think I'm going to use this for my new shtick.

"Hey kids, let's grill and eat out front tonight (current back yard)."

"Hey neighbor, you wanna drink a beer in the driveway in my back yard (current front yard)."

This could be fun.  

you're the problem, apparently 
My wife would agree with you..

The funny thing is, my mom's neighbor is a close friend of mine and he considers the lake side his "back yard" and it drives him nut when people refer to it as the "front yard"..

Maybe the OP is my buddy??? :scared:  

The funny thing is, my mom's neighbor is a close friend of mine and he considers the lake side his "back yard" and it drives him nut when people refer to it as the "front yard"..

Well where is the front of the house.

You don't call the foot of the bed a headboard if you sleep in the opposite direction

/rant 
Actually, I can relate.  I was designing electric service for a multi-story building for the local university.  When we talked about the transformer location, there was confusion about where I wanted it.  Apparently, what I assumed was the "front" (the side that faced the interstate) was the "back" of the building.  The "front" faced away from the interstate and towards their parking lot.  :wall:

Wife grew up on a lake. Back yard, on the lake side, was referred to as “the yard”. Front yard was still the front yard. 

LOL, no but totally get that guy. it's good to see people haven't experienced this. Could be a regional thing. 

One technicality could be where the house faces.  I have seen homes where the back faced the driveway and road, and the front door was in the 'backyard'.
By front door, you mean the one a visitor would knock on? Or are you part of the problem?

Actually, I can relate.  I was designing electric service for a multi-story building for the local university.  When we talked about the transformer location, there was confusion about where I wanted it.  Apparently, what I assumed was the "front" (the side that faced the interstate) was the "back" of the building.  The "front" faced away from the interstate and towards their parking lot.  :wall:
I actually experienced this with a tree service last year where they could not find the stump that needed to be ground in the back yard (lakeside on the backside of the house).... having scoured the front yard (road side) and not finding.

i didnt think this was real initially, but reading the two responses directly above this one, unless someone posts while i'm typing, perhaps there is a debate here. if you agree on what the "front door" is, then whichever direction that faces is the front yard regardless of where the main street entrance is, so that's the rub? you country folks have weird problems.

No. Unless 98% of your visitors arrive by boat.

If there is a driveway that leads to a garage on the other side and there is a door of some kind next to that garage door, that's the front yard. 
That's kind of what I meant. The orientation of the house should determine front/back, not the orientation of roads or waterways.

Then why do they call it water "FRONT" property?  would it not be water "BACK" property?
Because your backyard is the back from the viewpoint of the house but the front from the viewpoint of someone on the water facing your house.

If the front door faces the lake then it would be the front yard. 
Yeah, IF. I’m saying it doesn’t, unless there is no door on the other side where any logical stranger would knock on visiting. Would Dominos, Amazon, etc walk all the way around your house if you instructed to deliver to the front door?

Obviously my mom as a "front door" facing the driveway.. But I think I've used that door less than 10 times in a dozen years, and usually in the Winter.

Its purely a lake thing... If a house is in the woods and everybody spends their time "behind" the house and nothing is in the front, I'd still consider the front facing door, the front yard..

All these houses on the lake are built aesthetically so the side facing the lake is showcased.. seems dumb to call that the "back" of the house.

Users who are viewing this thread