What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official new name of Cleveland Indians (1 Viewer)

I’m fine with the new name, though I am curious to see if they use a mascot or something. The name is admittedly vague on that front.

What were some of the other choices again? Heard “Spiders” a lot.  Guardians is pretty meh. 
Apparently they had a professional baseball team named Spiders in Cleveland during the late 1800s, so that would have been cool. This is more than fine though. The statues are pretty neat.

Apparently they had a professional baseball team named Spiders in Cleveland during the late 1800s, so that would have been cool. This is more than fine though. The statues are pretty neat.
I saw the statues from a story above. Guess it depends on the logo. A good graphic designer can make something cool from that.

I have no issues with them changing the name, but the name is not good, and the logo is even worse. The logo looks like one I'd see for my local supermarket. 

Further erasing all traces of Native American tradition in American popular culture. 
Yeah, the indigenous peoples of North America played a #### ton of baseball before a bunch of white people rudely destroyed their culture and oppressed them for a few hundred years. 

Yeah, the indigenous peoples of North America played a #### ton of baseball before a bunch of white people rudely destroyed their culture and oppressed them for a few hundred years. 
So clearly let's erase all mentions of them ever existing in order to help fix that. 

You're not exactly making your case when you admit that your memory of a culture is reduced to a cartoonish stereotype.
This is the latest erasure. Every other public mention of it is slowly being eliminated. By non Native Americans all while real native Americans still live in poverty in this country. But hey at least that "offensive" team name is gone. That will help them feel better.

You're not exactly making your case when you admit that your memory of a culture is reduced to a cartoonish stereotype.
This is the latest erasure. Every other public mention of it is slowly being eliminated. By non Native Americans all while real native Americans still live in poverty in this country. But hey at least that "offensive" team name is gone. That will help them feel better.
One way to focus on real native Americans would be to stop using a cartoonish stereotype as our only memory of their culture.

Yes. Let's eliminate any memory of their culture to keep non native American people from being offended. Good plan. 
Their culture was sports? In this case a cartoon character representing a baseball team. 

It is really sad that this generation of children and generations of the future won't be able to look at the Cleveland baseball team and learn about Native Americans. 

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC
Further erasing all traces of Native American tradition in American popular culture. 
Native tradition isn't being a mascot or name of American pop culture.

Years ago I stumbled upon an ancient native burial sight.  Was drawn to it.  Located on an island far out in the wilderness. 

I've sought out places like THIS and planned my entire vacation to get there on the summer solstice and to get to other sacred places at critical times.  I do this with deep intention.  

I grew up in NE Ohio as a fan of the Cleveland Indians, had a Chief Wahoo jacket as a kid that I loved.

So much is overlooked or ignored of native culture by American pop culture.  Cartoonish images and MLB names have nothing to do with native tradition.   

Years ago I stumbled upon an ancient native burial sight.  Was drawn to it.  Located on an island far out in the wilderness. 

I've sought out places like THIS and planned my entire vacation to get there on the summer solstice and to get to other sacred places at critical times.  I do this with deep intention. 
Bracie never stops impressing about his dealings with the "supernatural." Keep doing it, Bracie! You're killing it, kid.

I once again pray for your mental health.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is always the argument. "Open a history book". Yes those have existed. There's a whole museum dedicated to it in Washington DC. The kids are really lining up for those. 

But what purpose does removing "offensive" names from sports teams or colleges, or cities and towns. It's not to protect Native American feelings from getting hurt. It's to make non native American people to feel better about themselves. They could rework the images or the names in order to incorporate the legacy better but they don't. They erase it. 

I'm barely even moved to comment about the name change. Seems like it'll be a positively nothingburger in the cosmic way of things. Yeah, we took your land and defeated a confused "enemy" in our rush to civilize, but at least we're not naming our baseball teams after the vanquished.

Seems futile, you know? 

I mean, really, unless you're going to give the land and resources back, why sanctify the names and images? What on earth does it represent other than guilt about something?

"Guilt about what?"

Well, about how our civilization took and resources and destroyed a way of life, not to mention every countryside in the way.

Really, what is proper restitution?

It's probably way more than a name, and it involves a lot of places you live. Good luck with that issue, Tulsa. "Civilzation" won, and there's no use hiding it. There's only guilt, and therefore restitution, or abiding it. Empty symbols and image-affirmation means nothing except to Shaheen LIttlefeather and the Hollywood jet set.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is always the argument. "Open a history book". Yes those have existed. There's a whole museum dedicated to it in Washington DC. The kids are really lining up for those. 

But what purpose does removing "offensive" names from sports teams or colleges, or cities and towns. It's not to protect Native American feelings from getting hurt. It's to make non native American people to feel better about themselves. They could rework the images or the names in order to incorporate the legacy better but they don't. They erase it. 
Native Americans literally protested against the Indians name outside the stadium a bunch of times. 

Who cares if kids are lining up for a museum, it’s the parent’s job to take them to those type of places and educate them. Major League Baseball is not going to educate my kid. Ridiculous presumption. 

I mean, really, unless you're going to give the land and resources back, why sanctify the names and images? What on earth does it represent other than guilt about something?

"Guilt about what?"

Well, about how our civilization took and resources and destroyed a way of life, not to mention every countryside in the way.

Really, what is proper restitution?

It's probably way more than a name, and it involves a lot of places you live. Good luck with that issue, Tulsa. "Civilzation" won, and there's no use hiding it. There's only guilt, and therefore restitution, or abiding it. Empty symbols and image-affirmation means nothing except to Shaheen LIttlefeather and the Hollywood jet set.
Even if you think the name was respectful (I could see that argument) the logo was completely preposterous. That’s not even debatable. 

Bracie never stops impressing about his dealings with the "supernatural." Keep doing it, Bracie! You're killing it, kid.

I once again pray for your mental health.
Rock you carry a grudge for decades and state a wish to curse out a bar.  Your posts are a cry for help.

Honestly wish you the best possible mental health.

I’m not sure “changing a team name doesn’t completely and totally eliminate centuries of genocide and state-driven maltreatment, therefore you shouldn’t change the sports team name” is the greatest argument in the world.

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC
Now that I know the local history behind the name I’d say it’s pretty solid — at first it just seemed dumb. I still think the Spiders would’ve been cooler, though.

Time for the Texas Rangers to step up and change their name. No excuse for those that did much of the extinguishing to be glorified.

I’d also argue that those making guilt-driven arguments are those who don’t like having our objectively atrocious history brought front and center, which inevitably happens whenever these sports team name things happen. “I don’t wanna be reminded of that, just keep the name because my kids hate museums.”

Users who are viewing this thread