Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Official new name of Cleveland Indians


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Kal El said:

I’m fine with the new name, though I am curious to see if they use a mascot or something. The name is admittedly vague on that front.

I think Guardians is actually a reference to this statue on this bridge in Cleveland.

Also major props to this guy for suggesting this exact name 7 years ago.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Kal El said:

I’m fine with the new name, though I am curious to see if they use a mascot or something. The name is admittedly vague on that front.

The name is based on two art deco statues on the Hope Street Bridge that are really cool so I'm sure their is going to be lots of people jumping on that bandwagon.

The Cleveland Guardians

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bracie Smathers said:

The name is based on two art deco statues on the Hope Street Bridge that are really cool so I'm sure their is going to be lots of people jumping on that bandwagon.

The Cleveland Guardians

Geez, for a second there I thought you were going to say “jumping off the bridge” and I was thinking that sure doesn’t seem ideal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, The General said:

What were some of the other choices again? Heard “Spiders” a lot.  Guardians is pretty meh. 

Apparently they had a professional baseball team named Spiders in Cleveland during the late 1800s, so that would have been cool. This is more than fine though. The statues are pretty neat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Desert_Power said:

Apparently they had a professional baseball team named Spiders in Cleveland during the late 1800s, so that would have been cool. This is more than fine though. The statues are pretty neat.

I saw the statues from a story above. Guess it depends on the logo. A good graphic designer can make something cool from that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Insein said:

Further erasing all traces of Native American tradition in American popular culture. 

Yeah, the indigenous peoples of North America played a #### ton of baseball before a bunch of white people rudely destroyed their culture and oppressed them for a few hundred years. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Based on Twitter, I must be one of the only people who likes the new name and logo. It’s unique and has ties to the city. Also the old name definitely needed to go.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Cold Dead Hands said:

Yeah, the indigenous peoples of North America played a #### ton of baseball before a bunch of white people rudely destroyed their culture and oppressed them for a few hundred years. 

So clearly let's erase all mentions of them ever existing in order to help fix that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, [scooter] said:

I agree.

Also....that's a good thing.

Yes. Let's eliminate any memory of their culture to keep non native American people from being offended. Good plan. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Insein said:
5 hours ago, [scooter] said:

I agree.

Also....that's a good thing.

Yes. Let's eliminate any memory of their culture

You're not exactly making your case when you admit that your memory of a culture is reduced to a cartoonish stereotype.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, [scooter] said:

You're not exactly making your case when you admit that your memory of a culture is reduced to a cartoonish stereotype.

This is the latest erasure. Every other public mention of it is slowly being eliminated. By non Native Americans all while real native Americans still live in poverty in this country. But hey at least that "offensive" team name is gone. That will help them feel better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Insein said:
11 minutes ago, [scooter] said:

You're not exactly making your case when you admit that your memory of a culture is reduced to a cartoonish stereotype.

This is the latest erasure. Every other public mention of it is slowly being eliminated. By non Native Americans all while real native Americans still live in poverty in this country. But hey at least that "offensive" team name is gone. That will help them feel better.

One way to focus on real native Americans would be to stop using a cartoonish stereotype as our only memory of their culture.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

LOL.  "How will our kids learn of the legacy of Chief Knockahoma now?"

:lmao: it’s the most insane argument. Give your kids a history book, Jesus Christ 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, ericttspikes said:

Kinda of sounds the same. 3 syllables; "ians" at the end. Could be worse.

The analytics department preferred Medians

 

  • Like 2
  • Laughing 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Insein said:

Yes. Let's eliminate any memory of their culture to keep non native American people from being offended. Good plan. 

Their culture was sports? In this case a cartoon character representing a baseball team. 

It is really sad that this generation of children and generations of the future won't be able to look at the Cleveland baseball team and learn about Native Americans. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Insein said:

Further erasing all traces of Native American tradition in American popular culture. 

Native tradition isn't being a mascot or name of American pop culture.

Years ago I stumbled upon an ancient native burial sight.  Was drawn to it.  Located on an island far out in the wilderness. 

I've sought out places like THIS and planned my entire vacation to get there on the summer solstice and to get to other sacred places at critical times.  I do this with deep intention.  

I grew up in NE Ohio as a fan of the Cleveland Indians, had a Chief Wahoo jacket as a kid that I loved.

So much is overlooked or ignored of native culture by American pop culture.  Cartoonish images and MLB names have nothing to do with native tradition.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Bracie Smathers said:

Years ago I stumbled upon an ancient native burial sight.  Was drawn to it.  Located on an island far out in the wilderness. 

I've sought out places like THIS and planned my entire vacation to get there on the summer solstice and to get to other sacred places at critical times.  I do this with deep intention. 

Bracie never stops impressing about his dealings with the "supernatural." Keep doing it, Bracie! You're killing it, kid.

I once again pray for your mental health.

Edited by rockaction
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is always the argument. "Open a history book". Yes those have existed. There's a whole museum dedicated to it in Washington DC. The kids are really lining up for those. 

But what purpose does removing "offensive" names from sports teams or colleges, or cities and towns. It's not to protect Native American feelings from getting hurt. It's to make non native American people to feel better about themselves. They could rework the images or the names in order to incorporate the legacy better but they don't. They erase it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm barely even moved to comment about the name change. Seems like it'll be a positively nothingburger in the cosmic way of things. Yeah, we took your land and defeated a confused "enemy" in our rush to civilize, but at least we're not naming our baseball teams after the vanquished.

Seems futile, you know? 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I mean, really, unless you're going to give the land and resources back, why sanctify the names and images? What on earth does it represent other than guilt about something?

"Guilt about what?"

Well, about how our civilization took and resources and destroyed a way of life, not to mention every countryside in the way.

Really, what is proper restitution?

It's probably way more than a name, and it involves a lot of places you live. Good luck with that issue, Tulsa. "Civilzation" won, and there's no use hiding it. There's only guilt, and therefore restitution, or abiding it. Empty symbols and image-affirmation means nothing except to Shaheen LIttlefeather and the Hollywood jet set.

 

Edited by rockaction
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Insein said:

This is always the argument. "Open a history book". Yes those have existed. There's a whole museum dedicated to it in Washington DC. The kids are really lining up for those. 

But what purpose does removing "offensive" names from sports teams or colleges, or cities and towns. It's not to protect Native American feelings from getting hurt. It's to make non native American people to feel better about themselves. They could rework the images or the names in order to incorporate the legacy better but they don't. They erase it. 

Native Americans literally protested against the Indians name outside the stadium a bunch of times. 
 

Who cares if kids are lining up for a museum, it’s the parent’s job to take them to those type of places and educate them. Major League Baseball is not going to educate my kid. Ridiculous presumption. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, rockaction said:

I mean, really, unless you're going to give the land and resources back, why sanctify the names and images? What on earth does it represent other than guilt about something?

"Guilt about what?"

Well, about how our civilization took and resources and destroyed a way of life, not to mention every countryside in the way.

Really, what is proper restitution?

It's probably way more than a name, and it involves a lot of places you live. Good luck with that issue, Tulsa. "Civilzation" won, and there's no use hiding it. There's only guilt, and therefore restitution, or abiding it. Empty symbols and image-affirmation means nothing except to Shaheen LIttlefeather and the Hollywood jet set.

 

Even if you think the name was respectful (I could see that argument) the logo was completely preposterous. That’s not even debatable. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Bracie never stops impressing about his dealings with the "supernatural." Keep doing it, Bracie! You're killing it, kid.

I once again pray for your mental health.

Rock you carry a grudge for decades and state a wish to curse out a bar.  Your posts are a cry for help.

Honestly wish you the best possible mental health.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m not sure “changing a team name doesn’t completely and totally eliminate centuries of genocide and state-driven maltreatment, therefore you shouldn’t change the sports team name” is the greatest argument in the world.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Now that I know the local history behind the name I’d say it’s pretty solid — at first it just seemed dumb. I still think the Spiders would’ve been cooler, though.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’d also argue that those making guilt-driven arguments are those who don’t like having our objectively atrocious history brought front and center, which inevitably happens whenever these sports team name things happen. “I don’t wanna be reminded of that, just keep the name because my kids hate museums.”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...