What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Facebook's new algorithm for banning or punishing people is all out of wack (1 Viewer)

DJackson10

Footballguy
So Facebook in the last few months updated their algorithm to how people are banned. It's more of an automatic thing to hide or delete posts that might be consider against their guidelines. I first noticed this algorithm after I posted a meme on my wall. Anti cop corruption type meme nothing too inflammatory had the words s**k it and B**ch two words I've seen many get away with. My post was taken down for "harassment".About 2 weeks ago I was suspended for 3 days for calling someone out for their ignorance and bigotry and out and out racism. I was pressed with a 3 day suspension for bullying yet 2 other people in the thread said much worse then me and continued the post the new few days. 

Today I told someone to stop being a baby. I got the ban hammer for "bullying". I honestly don't think their algorithm understands what constitutes as bullying and harassment. 

Just to take put a nail in this back when the Eagles won the SB a Vikings fan was on Facebook started to harass me and even got into my posts on my profile. FB did nothing despite the guy threatening myself and friends.Contacted Facebook who said they couldn't do anything. it took me contacting FB again telling them I was on the phone with the local police, my lawyer and if they didn't do anything I'll be looking at legal action towards FB itself. FB changed their tune fast after that. Considering the guy was making violent threats and saying how proud he was of a guy arrested for threatening bomb the championship parade

It's amazing the hypocrisy of this platform at times. especially when they got white supremacists posting on their platforms daily and say "we can't do anything about it since it's not violent threats." huh? Most were promoting Jan 6th calling for Gov officials to be killed. I love the website to connect with family and I started talking to family on my dad's side about 8 yrs ago because of FB again. Also I can stay connected with people from HS and college I may not be able to, as well as bands. Maybe I should just stop engaging with people in comments as thats apparently a no no to call out people now. 

Meh.   I stopped engaging anyone about anything ever on social media years ago. Not worth it.  Youre better off.

Now I will open FB,  see what my friends are up to,not comment on anything..including birthdays,  and scroll past the ads. Once thats done I close it.  Best way to consume that product imo

Ive been off FB since about the time covid hit and I don't miss it.  The final straw for me was when I got into a debate on abortion( I know right?) with a high school buddy.......well his wife got on there and proceeded to go off on me...saying #### like I prolly keep my wife bare foot and pregnant in the kitchen.....she trolled my page and re-posted one of my hunting pictures saying I'm a POS for killing animals......the funny thing is, my wife is more adamant about abortion than I am!  And she's a very strong woman....needless to say, I sent my buddy a message on messenger that his wife is psycho, and GL with that ####!.....anyway I digress....point is, people get nasty and you shouldn't rely on the platform to moderate.......

DJackson10 said:
So Facebook in the last few months updated their algorithm to how people are banned. It's more of an automatic thing to hide or delete posts that might be consider against their guidelines. I first noticed this algorithm after I posted a meme on my wall. Anti cop corruption type meme nothing too inflammatory had the words s**k it and B**ch two words I've seen many get away with. My post was taken down for "harassment".About 2 weeks ago I was suspended for 3 days for calling someone out for their ignorance and bigotry and out and out racism. I was pressed with a 3 day suspension for bullying yet 2 other people in the thread said much worse then me and continued the post the new few days. 

Today I told someone to stop being a baby. I got the ban hammer for "bullying". I honestly don't think their algorithm understands what constitutes as bullying and harassment. 

Just to take put a nail in this back when the Eagles won the SB a Vikings fan was on Facebook started to harass me and even got into my posts on my profile. FB did nothing despite the guy threatening myself and friends.Contacted Facebook who said they couldn't do anything. it took me contacting FB again telling them I was on the phone with the local police, my lawyer and if they didn't do anything I'll be looking at legal action towards FB itself. FB changed their tune fast after that. Considering the guy was making violent threats and saying how proud he was of a guy arrested for threatening bomb the championship parade

It's amazing the hypocrisy of this platform at times. especially when they got white supremacists posting on their platforms daily and say "we can't do anything about it since it's not violent threats." huh? Most were promoting Jan 6th calling for Gov officials to be killed. I love the website to connect with family and I started talking to family on my dad's side about 8 yrs ago because of FB again. Also I can stay connected with people from HS and college I may not be able to, as well as bands. Maybe I should just stop engaging with people in comments as thats apparently a no no to call out people now. 
You be fair, it's not really hypocrisy if Facebook behaved one way years ago and differently today. That means they changed their algorithm, as you noted. 

Note: I'm not here to defend Facebook, just pointing this out. 

FB is trash, but it's not that difficult to not get banned.  Do not argue with people in an argumentative fashion, do not feel like you have to call something out just because you disagree with them about something, and act like a mature adult.  Do all of those things and you will be just fine.  

FB is trash, but it's not that difficult to not get banned.  Do not argue with people in an argumentative fashion, do not feel like you have to call something out just because you disagree with them about something, and act like a mature adult.   all of those things and you will be just fine.  
How else will I get to keep my internet safety community watch badge.

I always see people posting/braging about being in Facebook "jail".  Like WTF, use Facebook to update your family and friends for what's going on in your life, not sure how you get banned for that??  Crazy what it's turned into ..

FB is trash, but it's not that difficult to not get banned.  Do not argue with people in an argumentative fashion, do not feel like you have to call something out just because you disagree with them about something, and act like a mature adult.  Do all of those things and you will be just fine.  
On FB, follow the same rules that are setup here and you’ll be good to go.

Though I’ll say that deleting my FB account over a year ago was fantastic and I don’t miss it even a little.

I always see people posting/braging about being in Facebook "jail".  Like WTF, use Facebook to update your family and friends for what's going on in your life, not sure how you get banned for that??  Crazy what it's turned into ..
Too many folks use it for virtue signaling. It's dumb but inevitably leads to arguments.

Ive been off FB since about the time covid hit and I don't miss it.  The final straw for me was when I got into a debate on abortion( I know right?) with a high school buddy.......well his wife got on there and proceeded to go off on me...saying #### like I prolly keep my wife bare foot and pregnant in the kitchen.....she trolled my page and re-posted one of my hunting pictures saying I'm a POS for killing animals......the funny thing is, my wife is more adamant about abortion than I am!  And she's a very strong woman....needless to say, I sent my buddy a message on messenger that his wife is psycho, and GL with that ####!.....anyway I digress....point is, people get nasty and you shouldn't rely on the platform to moderate.......
yeah it's gotten progressively worse especially given how bad the political climate is. I've had mute friends or hide them so they and I can't see each others posts because of how bad it got. Two people I just stopped engaging and blocked because they were just being ignorant and regurgitating word for word the party buzzwords and all. Clearly were not wanting to engage in a civil discussion. 

Funny thing is one of my best friends (through a metal best friend) and I are on completely different spectrums at times political (Besides this year we both supported Gabbard). We can have a civil discussion on issues without name calling or someone going off. He use to be in the marines and his daughter has battled cancer throughout covid. Sometimes when I just need to info or want to discuss something without hyperbole with him I'll text him or something instead 

You be fair, it's not really hypocrisy if Facebook behaved one way years ago and differently today. That means they changed their algorithm, as you noted. 

Note: I'm not here to defend Facebook, just pointing this out. 
Yeah I was more so going on how on Instagram they apparently don't use the same guidelines it seems like 

I'm willing to bet we go around and round up the names of all these people and you will see they all share the same political beliefs my guess is at least from what Ive encountered. Had a buddy bragging about being in Facebook jail for a month like it was a badge of honor. He posts a lot of Fake or alternative facts BS though. 

Yeah hence why I started using it and like I said got into a better relationship with part of my family not there at the time. Thats the good thing about it. However we have people arguing over that now. Former Coworker of mine got kicked out of the local township Mom's group but no big loss because the moms in there gang up on everyone who doesn't agree with them. They went after my one friend and then when they saw another girl was friends with her attacked her for no reason other then being friends with her. 

On FB, follow the same rules that are setup here and you’ll be good to go.

Though I’ll say that deleting my FB account over a year ago was fantastic and I don’t miss it even a little.
Do you know how hard it is to figure out some of the rules sometimes here is? I posted on another board yrs ago that was pretty liberal in terms of what goes posts wise and all. You had to do something really bad to get suspended or account banned. I was on there for a good 12 yrs. Found this board when someone over there mentioned a guy with some insider info posting here so I checked it out. Was off and on here for a bit till they got rid of the board over there and came here full-time. I tried to get a few of the guys I was friendly with. in a Facebook group for our fantasy league but I don't think anyone bit. 

Too many folks use it for virtue signaling. It's dumb but inevitably leads to arguments.
yep and you always know they are looking for a fight because they are the ones who posting hot takes on news sites and all. Most usually have a profile pic of themselves with sunglasses on too, or holding their gun, fish etc. 

Side note: A buddy of mine is pretty liberal and he has one of of the Meme type profiles of a guy in Sunglasses hot takes. I keep meaning to tell him he might want to look for a different photo so he doesn't get into an altercation on there with someone 

yeah it's gotten progressively worse especially given how bad the political climate is. I've had mute friends or hide them so they and I can't see each others posts because of how bad it got. Two people I just stopped engaging and blocked because they were just being ignorant and regurgitating word for word the party buzzwords and all. Clearly were not wanting to engage in a civil discussion. 

Funny thing is one of my best friends (through a metal best friend) and I are on completely different spectrums at times political (Besides this year we both supported Gabbard). We can have a civil discussion on issues without name calling or someone going off. He use to be in the marines and his daughter has battled cancer throughout covid. Sometimes when I just need to info or want to discuss something without hyperbole with him I'll text him or something instead 
I have a co-worker who is completely opposite politically from me for the most part and we have great convos and remain friends .....it gives me hope

DJackson10 said:

Stay off off FB, you will be a happier person.

DJackson10 said:
I love the website to connect with family and I started talking to family on my dad's side about 8 yrs ago because of FB again. Also I can stay connected with people from HS and college I may not be able to, as well as bands. 
This is pretty much where I am with Fb now. It's certainly not a good forum for political posts/discussions.

yep and you always know they are looking for a fight because they are the ones who posting hot takes on news sites and all. Most usually have a profile pic of themselves with sunglasses on too, or holding their gun, fish etc. 
I'm not on Facebook, but I did :lmao:  at this.  There are lots of right-wingers whose profiles don't include a picture of them wearing sunglasses behind the wheel of a car, but nobody with that profile picture is not a right-winger.  This is absolutely the right-wing version of the "pronouns in bio" phenomenon on the left.

I'm not on Facebook, but I did :lmao:  at this.  There are lots of right-wingers whose profiles don't include a picture of them wearing sunglasses behind the wheel of a car, but nobody with that profile picture is not a right-winger.  This is absolutely the right-wing version of the "pronouns in bio" phenomenon on the left.
I thought the pic of the wife and kids at an event where they dressed up was the Rights version of the Lefts pronouns in the bio - but everyone's FB experience is different based on your "friends".

DJackson10 said:
Need it to keep in touch with some family 
I would venture to guess correctly that you in fact do not need it to keep in touch with some family. If these folks are on FB then they have an email account. I would suggest using FB to gather all the email addys from family you wish to stay in contact with. Drop/cancel your FB account. Use email to stay in contact with family. Really rather simple. You are not beholden to FB to stay in touch with some of your family.

I think the purpose of FB for most people is to keep tabs on friends and family, people who you want to observe their lives but generally don't want to talk to them.

I just skip the pretense that I'm interested in their lives and don't join FB.

I would venture to guess correctly that you in fact do not need it to keep in touch with some family. If these folks are on FB then they have an email account. I would suggest using FB to gather all the email addys from family you wish to stay in contact with. Drop/cancel your FB account. Use email to stay in contact with family. Really rather simple. You are not beholden to FB to stay in touch with some of your family.
I don't use it just for that. I've been using the market place as well for extra money, run a fairly accomplished fantasy baseball league with old board members that it's easier to keep league info and stuff. I also have contacts in Football and wrestling that its easier for them to communicate with on there then elsewhere. I'd rather not get rid of the account if I can help it. 

I know some people feel they don't need it or my favorite is the people who brag of never having a social media account like it's a big accomplishment (similar to the I was in FB jail group) and thats them. Thats not me though I like the social interaction. 

I think the purpose of FB for most people is to keep tabs on friends and family, people who you want to observe their lives but generally don't want to talk to them.

I just skip the pretense that I'm interested in their lives and don't join FB.
The purpose of FB in the beginning was more for college students to socially network. When it first came into an existence you needed a working college email to get on. Since I went to community college and my school didn't have email addresses for students (Yeah I know what?) at that time I couldn't join. My college eventually got it after a student sent a professor a malicious virus so we all got emails addresses, professors and admins had all theirs changed and updated and prof and any admin wouldn't open any Emails from students without it being a college one. 

Anyway the main purpose was for local Harvard students to connect with one another as a way for college students to linkup,  but Zuckerberg (My cousin went to school with the guys wife) found out it was getting really popular and branched out to allow everyone in a college to join. Once it became more popular he branched it out further (Smart business in terms of knowing the amount of money his website could eventually bring in. eventually MZ saw the popular photo app Instagram and bought it for 1B. They eventually allowed users to link both their FB/IG accounts to post their picks together. 

Unfortunately once Obama started running you saw more bigotry and hatred going on. It became way more prevalent and people more open about their bigotry and racism when Trump got involved in politics. Like it or not a lot of people saw Trump as someone who thought similar to them and felt they could be more open about their out and out prejudices and racism and didn't have to hide anymore. As politics and social issues became bigger, and the nastiness of politics started to happen social media as a whole got worse. 

The biggest issue however was social media sites didn't want to get into legal battles kicking people off so they just let it continued or gave the company line "we can't do anything unless there is a legit threat to you or someone else." Like my OP stated I had an issue before and FB wouldn't do a thing till I told them I was gonna start threatening legal action on them and getting local LEO and the FBI involved if something wasn't done about it. 

The other problem is Zuck played both sides of the isle in terms of parties. He wanted to appease liberals but he knew his money was also with conservatives as well and didn't want the stock of sites like FB and IG would suffer. So they do play a part in it getting the way it got. FB was great in the beginning. Twitter has the same problem as they just permanently banned a white Nationalists (don't know his name and him and his group look like the immature frat boy house at the local college you want to punch constantly) who many people wanted gone as he advertised capital riots as well and insinuating people should assassinate politicians who get in their way. Twitter just banned the guy about 2 weeks ago saying they hadn't seen anything as a direct threat to anyone yet despite numerious tweets about assassinating and kidnapping politicians. 

The community standards have been backwards for yrs. I'm a fan of a YT creator who people threaten to kill him and his family and I won't even repeat what they've said about his wife and kids or what they'd do as it's pretty disturbing. He yells back at them Ban. Meanwhile many of us reported these accounts and no ban. so its a social media problem everywhere 

I don't use it just for that. I've been using the market place as well for extra money, run a fairly accomplished fantasy baseball league with old board members that it's easier to keep league info and stuff. I also have contacts in Football and wrestling that its easier for them to communicate with on there then elsewhere. I'd rather not get rid of the account if I can help it.
Fair enough. 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/facebook-apologizes-ai-puts-primates-142731473.html

Facebook Apologizes After AI Puts 'Primates' Label on Video of Black Men

Facebook users who recently watched a video from a British tabloid featuring Black men saw an automated prompt from the social network that asked if they would like to “keep seeing videos about Primates,” causing the company to investigate and disable the artificial intelligence-powered feature that pushed the message.

Facebook on Friday apologized for what it called “an unacceptable error” and said it was looking into the recommendation feature to “prevent this from happening again.”

I don't know why people expect perfection here.  It's always going to be an iterative process with mistakes being made

Link

"Facebook maintains a secret program to exempt athletes, politicians, and other high-profile users from its typical moderation process, according to The Wall Street Journal. The program is reportedly meant to stop “PR fires,” or bad press caused by pulling down photos, posts, and other content from high-profile users that should have been allowed to stay up. In reality, the program just lets these users break the rules in ways that would have gotten most people into trouble, according to the report.

The program is known as XCheck, or “cross check,” and it’s ostensibly meant to provide additional quality control around moderation when it comes to high-profile users, according to the Journal. Posts from users flagged for XCheck are supposed to be routed to a set of better-trained moderators to ensure Facebook’s rules are properly enforced. But the program reportedly protected 5.8 million people as of 2020, and just 10 percent of posts that hit XCheck actually get reviewed, according to a document seen by the Journal."

Yet another example of the social media site being ####ty.

I've lived in both areas and your bold doesn't check out. :)  

Zow said:
I've lived in both areas and your bold doesn't check out. :)  

Oh it happened. I had friends at the SB who said Vikings fans were awful all week trying to get into fights with everyone for no other reason then being sore losers. 

Oh it happened. I had friends at the SB who said Vikings fans were awful all week trying to get into fights with everyone for no other reason then being sore losers. 
:lmao:  

Not saying I don’t believe you, but as a guy who spent plenty of time in Philly stadiums and Minnesota stadiums, my anecdotal experience was there was a significant difference between the behavior of the fan bases - and it doesn’t match the experience you’re recounting here. #### I remember when veterans stadium had its own court. I personally saw a Philly fan intentionally puke on a Jewish rabbi, a group of fans mercilessly let loose on like a six year old boy in a mets jersey, multiple fans burning jerseys, etc. 

In Minnesota I think I once saw a MN fan not apologize when a fan of the opposing team bumped into him. 

:lmao:  

Not saying I don’t believe you, but as a guy who spent plenty of time in Philly stadiums and Minnesota stadiums, my anecdotal experience was there was a significant difference between the behavior of the fan bases - and it doesn’t match the experience you’re recounting here. #### I remember when veterans stadium had its own court. I personally saw a Philly fan intentionally puke on a Jewish rabbi, a group of fans mercilessly let loose on like a six year old boy in a mets jersey, multiple fans burning jerseys, etc. 

In Minnesota I think I once saw a MN fan not apologize when a fan of the opposing team bumped into him. 

That sounds incredible made up I think you need to go back to the drawing board here dude. Either way it sounds like your time there was yrs ago before the Linc was built. Fan behavior is much better and security is pretty quick stopping anything. Rabbi thrown up on? Fans attacking a six year old boy? Fans burning jerseys happen in every city. How many 49ers fans burnt their Kaepernick Jerseys? 

I had friends and family at the NFC title game and most of the fights inside were started by sore loser Viking fans who couldn't handle another choke job by their team. My best friend was sitting across from a Vikings fan who's GF/Wife got hauled out by Security who was spitting on people and talking trash. The dude apologized to everyone for her behavior. When someone asked him if he was gonna go see where she was taken too he said "nah I've waited yrs to see my team in an NFC Championship Game. I'll let her sit in a cell till I can go pick her up after the game. She isn't ruining this for me." People in the section were buying him drinks the rest of the game just because he apologized for the girls behavior and I think that quote alone. 

But hey if you wan to sit here and moan about just Philly fans all night I can come up of a list of worst things done by other teams fanbases in other cities not just in the uS but around the world. 

Users who are viewing this thread