What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

When is the last time you went to a movie theater? What did you see and how much did you spend? (1 Viewer)

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
I used to love to go the movies but lately and especially since the pandemic I have no urge. I feel like most of the movies are not aimed at me or my Generation anyways and I have been bored with Marvel and the new Star Wars and DC and the last few movies I saw prior to the pandemic would be Parasite, The Irishman, Cats(hairball) and Uncut Gems, those are the last ones I saw but even back then I could go 4-6 months at times between movies. 

We drive a little ways to get to an independent theater that typically charges $6 for all seats all times. They sell popcorn starting at $3 for a small and go all the way up to a colossal tub that could feed an entire row for about $8, they a lot more than M&Ms like Nerd ropes and I'm happy to support this independent theater, they had to close for almost a year thru the pandemic, I've been slow to come out and try a movie and the way things are going right now I've been avoiding crowds still. 

None of the movies of late are drawing me in. I seem to have lost my love for the way violence is portrayed in movies or maybe they did it better in the past with how they filmed things. I just don't enjoy watching people go thru torture in films, now that said as you can see from my list of movies that I do watch films that contain plenty of violence but IMO the way its portrayed has a reason or purpose in most of these films and I also didn't say I loved all the ones I listed although I did find the Irishman to be a great movie and one I was glad I saw on a big screen. I don't care for horror movies and do they even make comedies anymore? 

I understand many of you have kids and that probably drives some if it, I was going often with my son the last few years but then I got bored with most of the special effects one and had a much better time going to live sporting events with him or just having a meal and discussing life. 

What does it cost in your area to go hit a movie on a Fri or Sat night? Did you go to the movies more often before the pandemic? Have you been at all since theaters have re-opened? 

I still like to hold hands with my wife in a dark theater watching the pictures fly thru the air hitting the screen. And it's usually about that time that one of the blue hairs from Boca Del Vista who had 3/4 of the entire theater wide open but had to sit down either right in front of you or piled into your actual row and is now opening that blue hard candy and it takes a good minute or two to twist it and release it from that gnarly wrapper that keep making noise long after it's been discarded to the cinemuck covered floor of the theater.  :rant:

Is there a movie you have circled on the calendar? I seem to recall one or two coming out later this year that I thought I would end up wanting to see in a theater. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Last week and Black Widow.  I think tickets were $11.50 via AAA discount.   We went to about ten movies a year before covid, we are big genre (SciFi, fantasy, Super hero fans) and my daughter enjoys going to opening nights.  We don't buy concessions.

During Covid our theater completely gutted the place and started over from the studs out.  It came out striking.  New chairs are glorious as is all the new sound systems and screens.  All tickets are now assigned seating which means I will never be waiting in a line again to get a good seat. I choose the seats we want and arrive when we want similar to a sporting event.

The last movie I saw in a theatre was Dances With Wolves.  I don't remember what I paid, but as it was a matinee, it probably wasn't more than $2.00.  
Up to about 15 years ago I did the same. It was a mall with a bar across from it. Then they closed the mall.

My last solo outing was Quiet Place 2.  Ticket was $7.89 for a pre-5:00 showing.  It's an AMC theater, so I filled my popcorn bucket for $5.00 and got a large drink ($6.50 maybe?).Total out of pocket was around $20.

ETA: Love seeing movies in the theater.  Definitely hitting up The Green Knight this weekend and probably Suicide Squad next.  The pandemic slowed down my theater-going experience, but there's just something about seeing a movie the way it was "intended" on a huge screen in a dark room with some freshly buttered popcorn, a cold cherry coke and a box of Goobers!

Went to our first movie this past Saturday night since pre-pandemic.

The Forever Purge

13 bucks a ticket X’s 3

Popcorn 8 bucks

Coke Icee 6 bucks

Felt great to finally go back to the movies. I typically see 8-10 a year in the theaters these days. Mostly summer movies of course. 

Back in the day.....it was a ton more. So I am dating myself but in the 80’s we went almost every weekend at $2.00-$2.50 a pop......inflation sucks. I remember in the late 70’s it was a $1.50.

Anyway we loved the movie. Big Purge fans. This was a top 3 Purge flick. 

My last solo outing was Quiet Place 2.  Ticket was $7.89 for a pre-5:00 showing.  It's an AMC theater, so I filled my popcorn bucket for $5.00 and got a large drink ($6.50 maybe?).Total out of pocket was around $20.

ETA: Love seeing movies in the theater.  Definitely hitting up The Green Knight this weekend and probably Suicide Squad next.  The pandemic slowed down my theater-going experience, but there's just something about seeing a movie the way it was "intended" on a huge screen in a dark room with some freshly buttered popcorn, a cold cherry coke and a box of Goobers!
Same.  A 55 9nch tv at home with surround sound while nice, just can't replace a theater.  Wife and I are huge fans of seeing movies

Oh yeah.....hitting the theater this weekend for The Green Knight 100%. That looks terrific. 

Same.  A 55 9nch tv at home with surround sound while nice, just can't replace a theater.  Wife and I are huge fans of seeing movies
I've managed to put together a 110-inch projector (1080p) mini-theater in my basement with 7.4.1 ATMOS surround sound, but I still enjoy the more immersive theater experience for some of the big releases.  Football season is going to be fun down there though!

Took my son and some of his friends to see Adventure of Tin Tin or something.  That was more than 10 years ago.  It was expensive, the movie sucked and I haven't been to a theater since.  Probably never go back. Why would I want to watch something with strangers?  Home experience fine by me.  I can pause when I want to, drink all the beer, take off my pants.  

I've managed to put together a 110-inch projector (1080p) mini-theater in my basement with 7.4.1 ATMOS surround sound, but I still enjoy the more immersive theater experience for some of the big releases.  Football season is going to be fun down there though!
Heck yeah!

Saw A Quiet Place II.  Tickets were I think $6 or $7 (matinee).  Maybe $20 on concessions.   My wife and I love movies and were glad to be back. 
Thoughts? Saw A Quiet Place in a theater and it was a great experience. I have heard some say 2 is better, others have said it is much worse. 

Opening weekend for black widow. Like every MCU movie.

The only real difference is the theater no longer gives free popcorn refills.

Purchased through fandango, $12.50 / ticket including processing fees

took the family to see Old on Sunday. 

$70+ of not worth it cinema..81111111111111111eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

1111111111111111111111111111111111111155555555555555555tf

2222222`l;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrfdddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd,;

I’ve seen black widow, space jam, forever purge, fast 9, and old at the theatre in the last few weeks.  Tickets were $13, only bought food and drink once ($13ish).

$70+ of not worth it cinema..81111111111111111eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

1111111111111111111111111111111111111155555555555555555tf
I did like the ending but the whole movie was just sooooo slow

I believe the last movie I saw in a theater was 1917. We did the afternoon show, so I think it was $8.50. 

My wife and I go to the movies about once a year anyway, and have no desire to go to an enclosed theater since the pandemic hit.

Thoughts? Saw A Quiet Place in a theater and it was a great experience. I have heard some say 2 is better, others have said it is much worse. 
I enjoyed the second one more.  Was unsure how they were going to pull off a sequel after how the first ended, but was pleasantly surprised. I'd recommend giving it a go since you liked the first.

Went to a friend's birthday part for his kids where they rented out a theater and played Minions for a small group. I think that cost less than 100.

The last time i went to the theater. I was settling in watching the previews and cracking open a fresh can of tuna when some butthole started causing a ruckus.  Well let me tell ya. After I whipped his butt, all the people around started to cheer like I was some kind of hero.  And now. I get free, tuna at Subway, free sweedish fish at the 7/11, free tires down at the Wal*Mart, and free in-line pizza down at the Hut.  

Now I just sit at home in the single wide and watch the Netflix and listen to the Skynyrd band. 

F9 last weekend (it sucked)

Black Widow the weekend before that (wasn't great but wouldn't say it totally sucked)

Quiet Place II....meh.

Spiral Saw movie....pretty good.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.  I keep meaning to go back as the theater is just around the corner, has great seats, and is a nice escape from the summer heat.  But I rarely hear about a movie that encourages me to go.

In early January we rented out a theater for my daughters 6th birthday. Cost was $150 for up to 30 guests. It was one of the best kid’s birthday parties. I wish that would always be available. 
Croods 2

Rise of Skywalker in Dec 2019.  Don't remember what I paid and this was just a couple of months before Covid.  I'm sure I'll hit the theatres again once the weather gets crappy. 

Last movie was The Martian (2015), went with the significant other at the time. Probably went for $40ish.

May venture out for the new Bond movie (No Time to Die) 10/08/21..File this under a guilty pleasure.

none since covid started 
i would go once a month to a matinee , cheaper and empty 
the only movies i go for action movies , want the special affects and surround sound  

Last movie was Godzilla vs. Kong with my older son back in April. I actually had buy tickets ahead of time as the Friday night show sold out. 

Went last year and saw the second Croods movie, and it was actually pretty good. We had rented the theater out, so it was just us and friends and our kids, and it was fine.

Saw this with my family Saturday It was probably $75 with concessions. It was okay, not his best work, but we found it sort of interesting.

Before that is was Quiet Place 2.

We may go see Free Guy because the wife is so into Ryan Reynolds. 

Christmas 2017

Coco

no idea how much probably $15 / ticket 

wait, also saw Midway summer 2019 - free tix fm the VA

I was actually thinking this spring / early summer “man I’d really like to go to the movies with my gf. would be one of those ‘hey we’re back to normal’ touchstone things.” but the first couple times the thought occurred the NYC theaters were closed. and the couple times I’ve thought of it since, nothing really interested me. also, I noticed movies get theatrical releases and streaming releases which are very close together (& maybe simultaneously as well IDK.) 

just feels like movie theaters are going the way of Blockbuster and CD Stores. we have more than enough entertainment choices without ever leaving the couch.

but def going to support Broadway when they get back to work September 14. saw a concert last Friday. I don’t think I’ll stop going to see performing arts. but movies, I’m not so sure about.

Users who are viewing this thread