What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Chris Evans, CIN (1 Viewer)

boilerdave

Footballguy
Evans went to the local HS (Ben Davis HS, Indianapolis) and then Michigan. I’ve been watching him play since he was a HS sophomore. Very fast (4.50 40 at the Combine) and has receiving skills. 

6th Round pick by the Bengals. listed as 3rd or 4th RB on depth charts. Maybe he’s a long shot to make the roster but I can see him having a big, attention getting preseason game if given the chance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Evans went to the local HS (Ben Davis HS, Indianapolis) and then Michigan. I’ve been watching him play since he was a HS sophomore. Very fast (4.50 40 at the Combine) and has receiving skills. 

6th Round pick by the Bengals. listed as 3rd or 4th RB on depth charts. Maybe he’s a long shot to make the roster but I can see him having a big, attention getting preseason game if given the chance.
good size, good pedigree, decent speed, good receiver. he is one of my favorite 2021 lottery tickets. 

Trying to figure out if Samaje Perine or Chris Evans is the one to own if Mixon goes down.   Both are currently outside my top 5 rounds of rookie / free agent draft board, but that will definitely need to change before my draft.    

Trying to figure out if Samaje Perine or Chris Evans is the one to own if Mixon goes down.   Both are currently outside my top 5 rounds of rookie / free agent draft board, but that will definitely need to change before my draft.    

I'd say Perine but could see Evans coming in to the passing down role at some point.
I think Perine is more likely to be the short-term answer, unless we see something exceptional out of Evans this preseason.  However, if we are looking long term, Chris Evans is more intriguing.  Still, Evans is mostly just a dynasty lottery ticket at this point.  There is arguably a stronger chance that he fails to make the team than that he becomes a viable fantasy starter.

I'd say Perine but could see Evans coming in to the passing down role at some point.
This is the way I currently have it handicapped.   However, I would love to see Evans make some noise in camp and give me something to think about late round 3 or 4.   Regardless it seems illogical not to roster #2 RBs in my league, particularly a #2 behind Mixon.  The only time you pass on that is when it looks like a completely equal timeshare between 2 or 3 guys, and you're also not getting much utility when Mixon is healthy.

The KC RB2 / Darrell Williams is kind of in the same boat for me as Cincy.   D-Will would be usable if CEH goes down.   But even in this scenario, are you excited about using him in your lineup?   Between the three, I think I lean Evans-Perine-Williams for dynasty upside.   Modest amounts of production in 2021 probably runs the opposite. 

Evans is mostly just a dynasty lottery ticket at this point.  There is arguably a stronger chance that he fails to make the team than that he becomes a viable fantasy starter.
:thumbup:  That is how I see it right now.

I just hope he stays healthy and I get to watch him play on Sundays....and that's what I told him the last time I talked to him a few weeks ago.

He checks virtually no boxes but for speed score and burst score. He has virtually no collegiate production other than in his early years. He fell off the face of the earth in his latter ones. If you're looking for boxes, his are relatively empty but for his measurables at his pro day, much like a few Michigan guys over the past two years. (DPJ and Nico at wideout being the others.) 

That said, he's on my roster as a flyer. Couldn't hurt to do it, and I had my eye on his measureables, so I did. The Bengals instant reaction was that he was good as a pass-catching back from the camp news. 

Evans played the entire 2nd quarter and part of the 3rd in Preseason Game 2 vs WFT. 

He was pretty much held in check in Q2…as was the entire Bengals offense, they only picked up 2 first downs in the first half. Had a couple of nice runs in Q3 and also lined up as a receiver several times. I saw him out there on the Kickoff return team  

On the TV broadcast Theismann said  the Bengals were hoping he could be the 3rd down back replacement for Gio.

3 straight handoffs up the middle to Evans and he picks up a first down in the 1st Quarter vs the Dolphins. Solid but not spectacular. 

Good comment about Evans I saw on Twitter: “At least the Bengals drafted one rookie in 2021 that can catch the ball.” lol 

I feel like he’s going to make the cut to 53.

Any predictions on what this backfield looks like with a Mixon injury?   I was thinking a fairly even split of Perine with Evans on passing downs.  If there's a clear #2, I think it's worth the injury stash.

From - Fantasy Football draft prep: Sleepers to to make sure you don't leave the final rounds without. By Chris Towers. Sep 1, 2021. 

“Chris Evans, RB, Cincinnati Bengals -- The Bengals seemingly plan to use Joe Mixon more as a pass-catcher than ever before, but you also very much get the sense they've been surprised by how good Evans has been at that in camp, too. If anything happens to Mixon, Evans could emerge as a useful contributor. “

From - Roster Breakdown: Bengals Keep Moving To Youth. Aug 31, 2021  Geoff Hobson. Bengals.com Senior Writer

“They figure to ease Evans into that third-down role, so Mixon may very well get the chance to start the season showing he's one of the NFL's top backs on all three downs.”

Mixon looks to be out. Evans may get some opportunities to shine. 

oops Mixon back in. Evans still could be the 3rd down back/receiver. 

It’s been so enjoyable to see this local kid make an NFL roster and then score his first TD Sunday. 
8 targets 8 receptions for 104 yards on the season. 

My feeling is Evans could eventually carve out a nice NFL career as a receiving back.  I'm thinking Chase Edmonds like fantasy value as his potential (but unlikely) upside.

My feeling is Evans could eventually carve out a nice NFL career as a receiving back.  I'm thinking Chase Edmonds like fantasy value as his potential (but unlikely) upside.

I agree but unfortunately he is currently playing with a RB that is solid in the passing game so that role isn't as open in Cincy as it would be on other teams.

I agree but unfortunately he is currently playing with a RB that is solid in the passing game so that role isn't as open in Cincy as it would be on other teams.

Yeah and he'll be pretty old when he's done with his rookie contract.  Whenever I watch Evans play, I keep thinking about how much better his opportunity would be on a team like the Patriots.

Last summer I didn’t think he had much of a chance to make the roster. Now he’ll be a kickoff returner on the Super Bowl. 😀

The Athletic's Paul Dehner Jr. believes Chris Evans has a chance to supplant Samaje Perine as the Bengals' third down back.

Notably, it does not appear likely that Joe Mixon will handle third downs this season. Dehner noted that Mixon's third down role declined dramatically as 2021 progressed. He averaged 5.3 third down snaps over the first six games of the season, but just 1.8 third down snaps in the Bengals' final nine games. Perine was heavily involved down the stretch, averaging 9.2 third down snaps per game. Dehner believes that Mixon was phased out of third downs due to his struggle in pass protection, allowing the less dynamic Perine to earn significant playing time. Evans, who played well in limited pass-blocking reps as a rookie, would offer a more electric third down presence; his 2.11 yards per route run was an outstanding mark for a running back. Dehner believes that "if he can continue to grow as a pass protector and build trust in the coaching staff to do the right things, you could make an argument he could supplant Perine as the third-down back." Evans makes for an interesting last-round dart throw as a bet that he earns the job by the end of the year.

RELATED: 

Joe Mixon

, Samaje Perine

SOURCE: The Athletic

Jun 23, 2022, 11:48 AM ET

Could anyone comment on Evans' performance against Pittsburgh? I've read anecdotally he had a couple nice plays called back by penalty - so for box score reader like myself, I got nothin to go on.

Could anyone comment on Evans' performance against Pittsburgh? I've read anecdotally he had a couple nice plays called back by penalty - so for box score reader like myself, I got nothin to go on.

I'm actually looking for a bit of insight on this also.
Evans is definitely a lotto ticket RB I had planned on stashing in some leagues.....but I want to hear a bit more of whats going on in Cincy first.

Is he a league winner? I don't know about that, but if Mixon goes down, and he gets any semblance of a workload on THAT OFFENSE then I'm interested on getting him on my bench.

:bowtie:

The Athletic’s Paul Dehner Jr. believes Bengals RB Chris Evans could serve as the team’s preferred passing-down back.

This comes from Dehner’s article over at The Athletic, where he projects Evans as the Bengals’ “passing-down starter” while Trayveon Williams and Chase Brown will serve as backups. Dehner says Evans is on the rise after a camp where he excelled in pass protection and improved as a runner. Evans serving in this role could make him the replacement for Samaje Perine, who appeared on 149 third-down snaps last season to Mixon’s 50 per PFF. Evans is an interesting late-round flyer in deep PPR leagues.

The Athletic’s Paul Dehner Jr. believes Bengals RB Chris Evans could serve as the team’s preferred passing-down back.

This comes from Dehner’s article over at The Athletic, where he projects Evans as the Bengals’ “passing-down starter” while Trayveon Williams and Chase Brown will serve as backups. Dehner says Evans is on the rise after a camp where he excelled in pass protection and improved as a runner. Evans serving in this role could make him the replacement for Samaje Perine, who appeared on 149 third-down snaps last season to Mixon’s 50 per PFF. Evans is an interesting late-round flyer in deep PPR leagues.
I have him on a RB thin roster, and have been holding for 2 years.

This would make me unreasonably happy.

Users who are viewing this thread