What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 FBG Subscriber Contest (1 Viewer)

is this going to be the thread that for some inexplicable reason we tell each other who we think are the best bargains and better ways to craft their teams.....basically helping other people beat us....lol...?
Sure. Feel free to give me all the tips you can.

is this going to be the thread that for some inexplicable reason we tell each other who we think are the best bargains and better ways to craft their teams.....basically helping other people beat us....lol...?

Historically speaking, the entertainment value comes from the "let's share" users butting heads with the "omg why are you sharing" users.  The third group includes those who share deliberately misleading input, for either entertainment or self-serving purposes.  It's chaos I tell ya.

Historically speaking, the entertainment value comes from the "let's share" users butting heads with the "omg why are you sharing" users.  The third group includes those who share deliberately misleading input, for either entertainment or self-serving purposes.  It's chaos I tell ya.
lol basically what I was thinking, except last year when Joe did the "Share your lineup" for a chance at a lifetime subscription I think I always tried to post after lock. There is so much luck in the contest built in, no reason to give any more to people who just throw a lineup together in like 5 mins and forget it....unlike many of us who turn into addicts and change our lineups like 147 times....in the first week its open...

lol basically what I was thinking, except last year when Joe did the "Share your lineup" for a chance at a lifetime subscription I think I always tried to post after lock. There is so much luck in the contest built in, no reason to give any more to people who just throw a lineup together in like 5 mins and forget it....unlike many of us who turn into addicts and change our lineups like 147 times....in the first week its open...

the reason to share is community and fellowship.  the reason to withhold or mislead is the premise that doing so increases the chances of someone "worthy" winning prizes (whether the "worthy" person is yourself or a fellow addict).  its a choice. :shrug:

the reason to share is community and fellowship.  the reason to withhold or mislead is the premise that doing so increases the chances of someone "worthy" winning prizes (whether the "worthy" person is yourself or a fellow addict).  its a choice. :shrug:
And then there's those of us who choose to try to walk the line between the two: I'm happy to join in "strategy" discussions before the lock (rooster size, distribution of dollars, bye week issues, etc.), but seldom disclose actual roster decisions until after the lock. Of course, my roster changes so often that anything I disclosed would be outdated within hours anyway, so it's probably not as much of a concern as I make it out to be.

Regardless what you share, there are so many team construction possibilities that it is next to impossible to copy entire teams. And since anybody reading this thread already has five to six players that they are fully committed to, the bye week and player cost restrictions produce different rosters despite the “want to” to copy several “value” players.

you really never give away much despite the discussions and of course there are so many deceptive posts included.

just loads of community fun. Love the contest and love the fun. August 15th will definitely reduce the discussion time.

And then there's those of us who choose to try to walk the line between the two: I'm happy to join in "strategy" discussions before the lock (rooster size, distribution of dollars, bye week issues, etc.), but seldom disclose actual roster decisions until after the lock. Of course, my roster changes so often that anything I disclosed would be outdated within hours anyway, so it's probably not as much of a concern as I make it out to be.

I agree.  There are degrees, too. 

If someone has a proposed roster with Cam Akers in it, I'm likely to let them know, but if 2 days before the contest a player is cut, I probably keep that to myself.  

Strategy discussions are part of the fellowship.  If someone has an obvious structural flaw in their rooster, I think its kind to point it out without risking "personal loss".

If someone has a proposed roster with Cam Akers in it, I'm likely to let them know, but if 2 days before the contest a player is cut, I probably keep that to myself.  

Strategy discussions are part of the fellowship.  If someone has an obvious structural flaw in their rooster, I think its kind to point it out without risking "personal loss".
Absolutely, its still a contest and even if it seems like the same 100 or so people contribute here, you know there are a lot of lurkers who never comment but still see. So sometimes the "pay the extra for the premium re-entry week 2 lineup changes" is a great bit of entertainment value....and you just know there will be rosters with Cam Akers on them....lol! 

As we all know, the key to winning this contest is the kicker selection. 

:scared:

No, think of it more as a thread where we all pretend to help each other, while secretly knowing that everyone is lying through their teeth. Except @SeniorVBDStudent, who is always completely honest for some inexplicable reason. 

Done. What do I win?

Position   Player   Team   Bye   Price

QB   R Wilson   SEA   9   17

QB   A Rodgers   GB   13   17

RB   S Barkley   NYG   10   28

RB   N Harris   PIT   7   25

RB   J Williams   DEN   11   18

RB   J Conner   ARI   12   17

RB   M Brown   MIA   14   8

WR   A Cooper   DAL   7   22

WR   M Thomas   NO   6   13

WR   D Mooney   CHI   10   11

WR   H Ruggs   LV   8   10

WR   A Green   ARI   12   5

WR   N Collins   HOU   10   4

TE   D Waller   LV   8   27

TE   K Pitts   ATL   6   17

PK   D Carlson   LV   8   3

PK   R Bullock   DET   9   2

TD   Eagles   PHI   14   2

TD   Falcons   ATL   6   2

TD   Cowboys   DAL   7   2

Joe Bryant said:
Hello, indeed. This is legit and ready for you folks to kick the tires. There's always the chance something is broken or whatever and I'd rather you look at it before we call out to the bigger audience. 

Big props to my guys Doug Drinen and @Clayton Gray for getting this ready quickly. 

Stoked about this. 
@Joe - Saw the cutoff change in the rules:

"A fixed percentage (25%) of entries will be cut each week, rather than a fixed number, as has been the case in previous years."

"In weeks 1--14, this is a survivor style competition. The lowest-scoring 25% of the field will be cut. The cut is based on scores from the current week only, and scores reset each week.

Specifically, the cut will be determined as follows. The number of participants each week will be multiplied by 0.75, and the resulting number, if not an integer, will be rounded UP to the next biggest integer. The entry in that position, and all entries with an equal or greater score, will move to the next round. EXAMPLE: suppose, going into week 1, there are 12,327 entries. Multiplying 12327 by 0.75 yields 9245.25. We round that up to 9246, then find the entry that finished in 9246th place for that week. That entry survives. All entries tied with that entry survive. All entries that scored less than that entry will be eliminated."

LOVE THIS! Great way forward. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Keeping you folks on your toes. 

In the rules you don't break down weeks 15-17 for the "final" is there still a 25% cut or is it like years prior with a total tabulation? 

EDIT: Nevermind its at the very end:

"The contest participants who were not previously eliminated will be ordered, from highest to lowest, by the sum of their scores for weeks 15, 16, and 17."

Will be interesting to see how many make the week 15-17 final based on the 25% cuts each week! 

Last edited by a moderator:
We'll see but I can see tweaking the rules each year to keep it fun and interesting. Love how it's looking for this year. 

If my quick math is correct, you can multiply the total number of entries by .0178 to see how many will be left for weeks 15 - 17.  So if 15,000 people play there should be around 267 left after week 14.

Someone smarter than me should probably verify this though.

If my quick math is correct, you can multiply the total number of entries by .0178 to see how many will be left for weeks 15 - 17.  So if 15,000 people play there should be around 267 left after week 14.

Someone smarter than me should probably verify this though.

That's basically correct (269 left / factor is slightly higher .01782).  By Week live counts are:

11250 8438 6329 4747 3561 2671 2004 1503 1128 846 635 477 358 269

Not to be too needy, but can y'all put the BYE weeks on the entry form

They show up after I submit the team, but IIRC last year it was right there on the form. 

Is that needy? It feels needy. 

I'm sorry. :sadbanana:  

They show up after I submit the team, but IIRC last year it was right there on the form. 

This. 

I selected what would have been the winning team, but after the submission I discovered I had 11 players (almost half my selections) with the same bye week.

:doh:

I don’t think the form has EVER had the bye weeks on  it. It’s always been the dance of 

1) work forever on a roster to fit under 250

2) hit enter

3) make note of which bye week clashes you have

4) tweak the couple of spots to try to resolve bye week clashes

5) rinse and repeat. 

That moment when you think you may actually be done, like for realsies....then you decide you have to blow the whole thing up and reset the form from scratch....for the like the 5th time in 2 days all because you see a different angle......again...... :kicksrock:

I think we may need a Subscribers Contest Roster Churn Support Group......

ME: "Hi I'm Dacomish and I have a roster churn before lock problem"

GROUP: "Hi Dacomish".....

Hurry up and get to Lock day so I can put myself out of my misery.....

Done. What do I win?

Position   Player   Team   Bye   Price

QB   R Wilson   SEA   9   17

QB   A Rodgers   GB   13   17

RB   S Barkley   NYG   10   28

RB   N Harris   PIT   7   25

RB   J Williams   DEN   11   18

RB   J Conner   ARI   12   17

RB   M Brown   MIA   14   8

WR   A Cooper   DAL   7   22

WR   M Thomas   NO   6   13

WR   D Mooney   CHI   10   11