What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How old is your league? Post your first team. (1 Viewer)

downsouth

Footballguy
League I'm in started in 2000. I joined it in 2008. My roster:

QB: Trent Edwards, Matt Schaub
RB: Hightower, BJGE, Edgerrin James, Maroney, McFadden, Chester Taylor
WR: Clayton, Galloway, OchoCinco, D-Jax
TE: Olsen

Finished 3-10

1993 is the first year for the long term league that I started and it is still going strong!

I don’t recall what my roster composition was.

1992  (pulled this from my Lotus 123 lol)  

QB: Miller, C ATL; Humphries SD

RB: Hoge PIT; Russell NE; Vaughn RB; White, L HOU

WR: Williams, C PHI; Graham PIT; Irvin DAL; Jeffires HOU; Young DEN

TE: Metzelaars BUF; Cooper PIT

PK: Staurovosky NYJ; Ruzek PHI

First played in 1996, then started a league the next season.  Although I've since given up Commisionership of it, that league is now headed into its 25th season. 

The only thing I remember from that 1996 roster was taking Scott Mitchell in the first round.  No clue what I was doing.  

My first fantasy draft in 2004:

1.07: Shaun Alexander
2.04: Torry Holt
3.07: Domanick Williams
4.04: Matt Hasselbeck
5.07: Michael Bennett
6.04: Peerless Price
7.07: Justin McCareins
8.04: Lee Suggs
9.07: Randy McMichael
10.04: David Akers
11.07: Seattle Defense
12.04: Tommy Maddox
13.07: Donte’ Stallworth
14.04: Garrison Hearst

Notable FA Pickups on my final roster: Donald Driver, Rod Smith, Ashley Lelie, Jake Delhomme, Nick Goings

I was in the playoffs until Volek  -> Bennett happened. 

Last edited by a moderator:
1990 still-going league that started w/ 14-teams (now 16). The only guys I remember are....

• Warren Moon
  • Herschel Walker
  • Chris Warren
  • Andre Rison
  • Ozzie Newsome
  • Fuad Reveiz

Current dynasty league (12 teams, keep 20) started in 1994 as a 8-team 8-keeper.  This was my week 15 roster:

QB
Kosar, BernieMIA
Marino, DanMIA
Montana, JoeKNC
RB
Floyd, WilliamSNF
Garner, CharliePHI
Russell, LeonardNWE
Warren, ChrisSEA
WR
Blades, BrianSEA
Fryar, IrvingMIA
Ingram, MarkMIA
Irvin, MichaelDAL
Perriman, BrettDET
TE
Coates, BenNWE
K
Brien, DougSNF
Christie, SteveBUF
DEF
Oakland RaidersOAK

I can't remember my whole roster but I do know that my QB was Steve Young and one of my RBs was Jerome Bettis.

not sure of the roster but when I had an early pick I always took Barry over Emmitt

TD only

we heard about some leagues doing a thing called “yardage leagues” but didn’t evolve for another 4-5 years

Gridiron League started in 2005 ... folded last year but I wanted to give the other members props for the run... 

Finished 11-3 and lost the Championship

My Roster in Week 1 of 2005: 

Jake Plummer Den QB & Byron Leftwich Jax QB (traded for Peyton Manning later)

Duece McAllister NOS RB;  Frank Gore SF RB;  Chris Perry Cin RB;  Lamont Jordan Oak RB;  TJ Duckett Atl RB

Larry Fitz Arz WR;  Torry Holt StL WR;  Reggie Wayne Ind WR:  Roy Williams Det WR;  Arnaz Battle SF WR

LJ Smith Phil TE;  Jerramy Stevens Sea TE

1996. League is still going.

I won the Championship with this lineup:

J.Kelly
B.Morris
R.Salaam
I.Fryar
O.McDuffie
K.McCardell
B.Jones
J.Carney
New England

The very first league I participated in was in 1994 and my first two picks were Steve Young and Chris Warren.

My longest running league started in 1996 and I don't remember my whole team.  Key contributors were Terrell Davis, Tony Martin, and Keith Jackson.

Bulger, Marc STL QB2028

Chandler, Chris FA QB17-

Manning, Eli NYG QB426

Roethlisberger, Ben PIT QB1587

Droughns, Reuben CLE RB1478

Dunn, Warrick ATL RB1299

Goings, Nick CAR RB1163

Hearst, Garrison DEN RB910

Lewis, Jamal BAL RB1016

Taylor, Chester BAL RB816

Coles, Laveranues NYJ WR883

Horn, Joe NOS WR1608

Moulds, Eric BUF WR1083

Smith, Jimmy JAC WR1249

Putzier, Jeb DEN TE5110

Witten, Jason DAL TE974

Dawson, Phil CLE PK778

Wilkins, Jeff STL PK828

Bills, Buffalo BUF Def1323

19 TOTAL PLAYERS

INJURED RESERVE

Garcia, Jeff DET QB1064

Warning! Possible IR Rule Violation Above.

Bell, Tatum DEN RB3910

It was 1990.  I was excited to land both Dan Marino and Randall Cunningham (start 1 QB). At RB, I had Marcus Allen and (I believe) John Stephens, and at WR, I had Haywood Jeffires and Eric Martin.  We couldn't wait for the box scores to be printed in the paper.  If the Monday night game went late, we might have to wait until Wednesday morning to get a final score.

RB's D Hilliard, J Brooks, both Houston RB's(Pinkett, Highsmith)

WR's S Paige, Roy Green,

QB's N Lomax, C Miller

I can't remember the rest. 

1993 we went 12 team dynasty TD only. We still have 9/12 of the same guys.

League started 1997, Joined in 2000:

Final Roster: FInished 3rd place

QB: Aaron Brooks, Elvis Grbac

RB: Mike Anderson, Stephen Davis, Ahman Green, Lamar Smith, Ricky Watters

WR: Derrick Alexander, Torry Holt, Derrick Mason, 

TE: Jay Riemersma

K: Joe Nedney

DEF: New Orleans Saints Defense, Philadelphia Eagles Defense

The draft is lost in the ether of the commishes old harddrives and geocities caches in space. 

League going on 20 plus year, 2 keepers + a rookie. This was my 2005 roster after the draft
QB : Charlie Frye (rookie)

QB : Marc Bulger

QB : David Carr

RB : Ladell Betts

RB : Tatum Bell

RB : Kevin Jones

RB : Ronnie Brown (rookie)

WR : Randy Moss

WR : Deion Branch

WR : Darrell Jackson

WR : Michael Jenkins

WR : Brandon Lloyd

WR : Isaac Bruce

K : Phil Dawson

QB : Brian Griese

RB : Cedrick Cobbs

RB : Frank Gore (rookie)

WR : Corey Bradford

I don't remember when it was but my first fantasy pick was Dante Culpepper.  One of the other guys in the league then told me I should have waited before picking a qb right after that.

League started in 1986, I joined in 1989 went to keeper format in 1990. My first draft I picked Bernie kosar over Randall Cunningham🤦‍♂️(Had no clue what I was doing) and also had ickey woods and mark bavaro on that team. I think they were all out for most of the season by week 4 and the team was dead in the water. It probably was dead in the water even if those three didn’t get injured😂

Oldest league still currently in, end of year dynasty roster from 2006:

PLAYER2006 PTSBYE

Jackson, Tarvaris MIN QB (R)41.656

Manning, Peyton IND QB365.456

Romo, Tony DAL QB222.853

Young, Vince TEN QB (R)244.257

Dunn, Warrick ATL RB183.005

Fason, Ciatrick MIN RB21.206

Moore, Mewelde MIN RB122.856

Norwood, Jerious ATL RB (R)98.505

Taylor, Chester MIN RB228.206

Baskett, Hank PHI WR (R)79.409

Chambers, Chris MIA WR160.208

Cotchery, Jerricho NYJ WR216.909

Hagan, Derek MIA WR (R)49.108

Henry, Chris CIN WR151.005

Moss, Randy OAK WR115.303

Moss, Santana WAS WR180.208

Lewis, Marcedes JAC TE (R)37.906

Witten, Jason DAL TE183.103

18 TOTAL PLAYERS

I think I am the leader in the clubhouse.  My first league started in 1985.  I was in 8th grade.  I have no idea what my first roster was because it was all done by hand.  We had to provide 16 self addressed stamped envelopes to the commish to get results each week.  All the stats were from the LA Times.   That league is still going strong with about 80% of the same league members.  

ETA:  We no longer have to provide SASE's to the commish prior to the season.  

I think I am the leader in the clubhouse.  My first league started in 1985.  I was in 8th grade.  I have no idea what my first roster was because it was all done by hand.  We had to provide 16 self addressed stamped envelopes to the commish to get results each week.  All the stats were from the LA Times.   That league is still going strong with about 80% of the same league members.  

ETA:  We no longer have to provide SASE's to the commish prior to the season.  

first league was also give 16 SASE  to commish.  the year was 1991.  USA Today for scoring.

first overall pick was Jim Kelly at #7.  i had never played before.  the first 6 players taken were QBs and i figured id better take one at #7 too.  (Emmitt Smith was taken #8)

The farthest I can go back is 2008 season (but the league is much older) but man what a draft I had that year, check this out.

1.2 pick Jon Stewart

1.8 Ray Rice

2.7 Jamal Charles

2.12 Jordy Nelson

The year before I was 4-9 and thanks to that draft went 9-4.  BUT...ended up later trading away Rice, Charles, and Nelson for...ouch...Reggie Bush, Devin Thomas, Steve Breaston, Kurt Warner. :bag:

Warren Moon

Bobby Humphrey

Johnny Johnson/Emmitt Smith platoon

Jerry Rice

Haywood Jeffires

Brent Jones

Derrick Thomas

can't remember kicker

The IDP league I commission goes back to 2005. That is my longest standing league at 16 years. In that time we've had 3 managers turn-over, and one of them was an original member who came back, so 14 people total for 12 teams over 16 years. 

Drafted

QB: Donovan McNabb
RB: Frank Gore, Reggie Bush, Brandon Jacobs
WR: Donald Driver, Laveranues Coles, Santonio Holmes
TE: Antonio Gates
PK: Stephen Gostkowski

and some other guys who I didn't play like Mark Clayton & Ladell Betts.

Ended the season with Anquan Boldin (traded for Jacobs), Anthony Gonzalez, Fred Taylor, and Aaron Stecker in my lineup.

Also got starts from David Garrard, Selvin Young, Chester Taylor, Adrian Peterson CHI, Jesse Chatman, Jerious Norwood, Brian Leonard, Dennis Northcutt, Chris Henry WR, Kevin Walter, and Eric Johnson.

(I went and looked this up. There was one name in this post that I didn't recognize.)

2010...Went 7-7  :ph34r:

QB’s——-Jon Kitna (Dal).....P Manning (Indy)

RB’s——-M Bush (Oak)...J Charles (KCC)...M Hart (Indy)... P Thomas (NOS)...LT (NYJ)...M Tolbert (SDC)

WR’s——-D Amendola (STL)...DBass (MIA)...P Crayton (SDC)...P Harvin (Min)...S. Rice ( Min) D Mason (Bal)  M Thomas (Jac)

TE’s—— B Celek (Phil)...T Moeaki (KCC)

K——— M Bryant (Atl)

D ——— Jets

i started in 1997, there were no Web sites back then so I'd have to dig up some old spreadsheet to see who i had. wait, did they have spreadsheets back then? i know most of you can relate even though you pretend you're young, the LA Times statline for scoring (or whatever your local newspaper was). :coffee:

I know i had Marshal Faulk (IND), Herman Moore, and Ed McCaffrey. I won in 1998 with generally the same team. I just realized I won the same league with father Ed (my first ever win) and son Christian (my last win two years ago) on my team! that might be the year (1998) father Ed snapped his leg. I remember the long-running joke was he held onto the ball with a broken leg but Fred Taylor can't hold on to the ball going to the ground untouched.

Reading some of these names really brings me back.  Didn't need to be reminded of how old I am today (especially considering that I wasn't born when a handful of these leagues started) but here we are.

Anyone remember drafting Emmitt Smith on the cardinals?

Did redraft for a long time, then a few dynasty leagues which folded but my longest lasting is from 2002.  The team I drafted:

OZ

Callahan, Bill OAK Coach ‐ 3

Vermeil, **** KCC Coach ‐ 9

Batch, Charlie PIT QB ‐ 3

Brady, Tom NEP QB ‐ 7

Brees, Drew SDC QB ‐ 8

Faulk, Marshall STL RB ‐ 8

Johnson, Leon STL RB ‐ 8

Mack, Stacey HOU RB ‐ 5

Smith, Emmitt ARI RB ‐ 6

Stephens, Travis TBB RB ‐ 10

Williams, Ricky IND RB ‐ 4

Anderson, Scotty DET WR ‐ 5

Bates, D'wayne MIN WR ‐ 5

Boston, David SDC WR ‐ 8

Knight, Marcus OAK WR ‐ 3

Randle El, Antwaan PIT WR ‐ 3

Toomer, Amani NYG WR ‐ 7

Wayne, Reggie IND WR ‐ 4

Wilson, Cedrick SFO WR ‐ 4

Mangum, Kris CAR TE ‐ 9

Putzier, Jeb DEN TE ‐ 9

Shockey, Jeremy NYG TE ‐ 7

Christie, Steve SDC PK ‐ 8

Gramatica, Martin TBB PK ‐ 10

Coleman, Rod OAK DT ‐ 3

Tripplett, Larry IND DT ‐ 4

Whiting, Brandon PHI DT ‐ 6

Bratzke, Chad IND DE ‐ 4

Kerney, Patrick ATL DE ‐ 4

Schobel, Aaron BUF DE ‐ 10

Brown, Cornell BAL LB ‐ 3

Draft, Chris ATL LB ‐ 4

Duncan, Jamie STL LB ‐ 8

Fletcher, London BUF LB ‐ 10

Harris, Napoleon OAK LB ‐ 3

Posey, Jeff FA LB ‐ -

Short, Brandon NYG LB ‐ 7

Vrabel, Mike NEP LB ‐ 7

Bailey, Champ WAS CB ‐ 4

Harris, Al GBP CB ‐ 8

Kelly, Brian TBB CB ‐ 10

Kelly, Eric MIN CB ‐ 5

Chavous, Corey MIN S ‐ 5

Fox, Vernon SDC S ‐ 8

McGraw, Jon NYJ S ‐ 6

Williams, Roy DAL S

Notables in bold

1992 or 1991. cant remember.

qb: Jim Kelly

WR: Lofton and Andre Reed

I forget the rest

nuff said, I think I lost nearly every week. I thought having 3 k-gun weapons on my roster would surely be the winning formula.lol.no one told me that when they struggled or gave Thurmal Thomas  100% of the offensive action that my guys would get nothing.LOL. never drafted players from the same team ever again. 

we used to get printed fantasyindex mags and their mailed updates.didn't know final scores till at least wed/thur because of point adjustments with stats. mostly had to add up your score from the paper then call everyone to tell them who won/lost. sometimes different papers had different stats, like 7-81 for a wr in one mag, 7-79 in another. that 1 yard meant 1 pt, and usually was a game breaker. it was painful you had to wait till mondays paper to see how you were standing, then had to wait till tues to see how you Mnf guys did. then stat pt corrections later in the week. what a royal pain. no internet obviously , so you had to read usa today or bergen record for nfl-wide updates.had to watch around the NFL on HBO to get all info for the upcoming week. we had our commish sending out weekly standings and pts via US mail. at drafts we had to have 13 self stamped envelopes so we could get the packets weekly. LOL. had to do waivers on wed night over the phone.8-830 was done by record. if you wanted someone at 11p you left a message on commish's phone.

apologies for reminiscing !

1989. It was 8 teams then and TD-only. First Round was all QBs, with Cunningham going #1.

I can't remember my whole team, but I had Jim Everett, Herschel Walker, Barry Sanders, Flipper Anderson, and one of the Houston WRs. 

1991 for me.  I went all-in with the Eagles stack coming off 1990.  Original starting lineup was

Randall Cunningham (injured Week 1 of course 😡)

Barry Sanders/Christian Okoye

Andre Reed/Fred Barnett

Keith Jackson

Nick Lowery

My current keeper league started in 2001.  Some of my players I remember are:

Jake Plummer

Jerome Bettis

Tomlinson

Fred Taylor

Shaun Alexander

Tony Gonzalez

Ed McCaffrey

Isaac Bruce 

I started playing fantasy in 1990 and remember having these players:

Warren Moon

Mark Rypien 

Eric Green

James Brooks

Haywood Jeffires 

Cleveland Gary

Gary Clark

Can`t remember my first team but my first ever draft pick was Icky Woods after his rookie season where he scored 15 TDS.  Woods blew his knee out second game..it has been downhill ever since.

1995 - PPR since day 1

Don't remember whole roster but I had Herman Moore, Chris Carter and Carl Pickens.... I am pretty sure they combined for about 8000 catches and 50 TDs.

As a Cowboy fan and a huge Emmitt Smith fan, this never happened.  Was completely wiped out by the events of Avengers: Endgame. 
My dad was a cowboys fan which I inherited, and growing up in the Philadelphia area this was a huge problem for me, so I got to watch the glory years of the Aikman Smith Irving boys.  I'm glad to hear about Emmitt and hope some day soon another group of Avengers movies will erase the last few years of Aikman announcing.

1995 - PPR since day 1

Don't remember whole roster but I had Herman Moore, Chris Carter and Carl Pickens.... I am pretty sure they combined for about 8000 catches and 50 TDs.

I may not be far off on the 50 TDs should have exaggerated more.

My first league was an 8-teamer that I joined in 1998, and was AFC-only. My first pick was Jerome Bettis. It was basically TD-only but gave bonuses for 100-yard games. My team wasn't very good.

My first year in a league I'm still in was 2001. I got Fragile Fredded and was 1-12. Scoring was TD-heavy; yardage points didn't kick in until 50 for rush/rec and 200 for passing. I won my first title 2 years later. It's now PPR with typical yardage scoring. 

I started in 1985, and know the league (still going strong) started at least the year before, but I believe 1983 in Denver. Its always been and remains16 team and SF. 

Opening lineup:

QBs Bill Kenney, KC   Mark Malone PIT

RBs Greg Bell, BUF  George ROGERS, WAS

WRs Tony Hill,  DAL   Billy "White Shoes" Johnson, ATL   Henry Ellard, LA

TE Eric Sievers, SD

K Mike Lansford, LA

Bench:

Eddie Lee Ivory RB GB

Ted Brown, RB,  MIN

Ken Lacy, RB, KC

Kenny Jackson, WR, PHI

Jerry Bell, TE, TB

Apparently finished 8-6

This is our 25th anniversary year. My first ever draft pick is my favorite player of all time, Barry Sanders.

1996 - auction league with IDP

dont recall the team but my 1st pick was Sterling Sharp also recall Warren Moon as my QB - thats old!  

Users who are viewing this thread