What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Question - How Interested Would You Be In A Version Of The Subscriber Contest Available To Everyone? (1 Viewer)

How interested would you be?

• Very Interested

Votes: 13 26.0%
  • Interested

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • On The Fence

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Not Interested

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • Not Interested At All

Votes: 13 26.0%

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
NOTE: We are NOT saying we'll do this. At this point, I'm just trying to gauge interest.

The Premium Subscriber Contest has been a long time thing at Footballguys. (Thanks for the new name ideas in the other thread).

As you may know, every person who buys a Premium Subscription gets an entry. We have a large cash prize pool. It's a salary cap contest where you enter a lineup and it locks before Week 1. Then it's best ball scoring for the year and a Survivor type cut down each week. It's a lot of fun. 

But I've been thinking. What if we also had a contest that was exactly the same with the exact same format and scoring and everything with the exceptions of:

It would be available to anyone that had a Free Insider account at Footballguys.com

Instead of cash prizes, it would be more fun bragging right stuff. Giant trophy, guest spot on Footballguys podcast, King for a day on the forum and that kind of thing.

Benefits I see:

For folks playing in the Premium Subscriber version of the contest, it would be a chance to have a second entry and see how you would have fared. It would be a way to talk smack and include more people.

It would be a way generate more interest in the Premium Subscriber Contest

It would be a way to introduce more people to the format of the Contest

Again, the normal Premium Subscriber contest is unchanged. This would be purely an additional completely separate contest with the same salaries and scoring and structure. Just available to everyone. 

How interested would you be?

Last edited by a moderator:
The marketing benefit of this is people playing and day dreaming about winning, checking back every week to see how they're doing. 

With a zillion to one odds to win king of the forum for the day, I wouldn't even check the email that said I'd won. 

Your goalis to convert email subscribers to paid subscribers. 

Give the top 25(?) a free subscription and the next 225(?) a half price subscription.  

25 free subscriptions might cost you,  say, 10 paid subscriptions.  Because many of the winners weren't going to subscribe but let's say 10 of them were.  

225 half priced subscriptions probably nets you back those 10 paid subscriptions and more... some of the 225 will be people who already planned to subscribe but some will be people who decide to take advantage of what they "won". 

So it ends up being a fun marketing event that pays for itself... except you now have 250 people who think they're geniuses and want to subscribe for years to get in that sweet sweet 35k contest.  And a bunch of people who came close and want another shot.  

You can tinker with the numbers but that's the approach I'd take. 

Think about the local comedy club that has "drawings" for free tickets, but everyone who enters wins because what they really want is customers who pay the two drink minimum... it's not the same business model, but where it costs you virtually nothing to give one more free subscription, one half price subscription is the free overpaid drink of the fantasy industry, and one full price subscription is the sucker who bought tickets without knowing about the contest

The marketing benefit of this is people playing and day dreaming about winning, checking back every week to see how they're doing. 

With a zillion to one odds to win king of the forum for the day, I wouldn't even check the email that said I'd won. 

Your goalis to convert email subscribers to paid subscribers. 

Give the top 25(?) a free subscription and the next 225(?) a half price subscription.  

25 free subscriptions might cost you,  say, 10 paid subscriptions.  Because many of the winners weren't going to subscribe but let's say 10 of them were.  

225 half priced subscriptions probably nets you back those 10 paid subscriptions and more... some of the 225 will be people who already planned to subscribe but some will be people who decide to take advantage of what they "won". 

So it ends up being a fun marketing event that pays for itself... except you now have 250 people who think they're geniuses and want to subscribe for years to get in that sweet sweet 35k contest.  And a bunch of people who came close and want another shot.  

You can tinker with the numbers but that's the approach I'd take. 

Think about the local comedy club that has "drawings" for free tickets, but everyone who enters wins because what they really want is customers who pay the two drink minimum... it's not the same business model, but where it costs you virtually nothing to give one more free subscription, one half price subscription is the free overpaid drink of the fantasy industry, and one full price subscription is the sucker who bought tickets without knowing about the contest

Yes, that kind of "introduction" to the contest is what I'm thinking.

I think that is a decent idea and I suppose other than setting it up, it would not be  a burden to distract from what the staff does to keep the subscriber base large and active. I think it would be fun, but I'm not really excited about ti and would be last of my things to do as we hurtle toward the season.

On the other hand, I had a thought that would likely stimulate early interest and like hasten enthusiasm. What if you had 3-4 preseason best ball drafts Maybe take some of the money from the season-long and award it to winners of the Pre-preseaon conteests: Week one preseason, week two and three.  If you could budget out 2500 or so per contest, I think it would generate plenty of interest and participation, driving your base and potential base to come over earlier and start getting serious much earlier in the year, rather than the last minute.  

Whatever you do, I wish you the best. You have really done an excellent creating your fantasy empire and its nice to see the good guys come out on top now and then.

I think that is a decent idea and I suppose other than setting it up, it would not be  a burden to distract from what the staff does to keep the subscriber base large and active. I think it would be fun, but I'm not really excited about ti and would be last of my things to do as we hurtle toward the season.

On the other hand, I had a thought that would likely stimulate early interest and like hasten enthusiasm. What if you had 3-4 preseason best ball drafts Maybe take some of the money from the season-long and award it to winners of the Pre-preseaon conteests: Week one preseason, week two and three.  If you could budget out 2500 or so per contest, I think it would generate plenty of interest and participation, driving your base and potential base to come over earlier and start getting serious much earlier in the year, rather than the last minute.  

Whatever you do, I wish you the best. You have really done an excellent creating your fantasy empire and its nice to see the good guys come out on top now and then.
I think diluting the top prize would be a mistake. 

I think diluting the top prize would be a mistake. 
Possibly. If the single grand prize was lower I would still play.

If the $$ remained the same and added a free bragging rights, I'd probably play only the one that paid.

If the grand was lowered and three more had minor and low cash prizes, I would play four.

Shrug 

Just spitballing

Yes, that kind of "introduction" to the contest is what I'm thinking.
I think I would go opposite.

Free contest to see whos the best.  No PRize but a trophy and the fact that you are the GOAT.  Should bring tons of people to the site.  Or make the Prize $1

Thanks for the kind words @cosjobs I like the idea of generating interest earlier and maybe for 2022 we could look at the preseason best ball. 

Users who are viewing this thread