What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Comish question: Forfeited games (1 Viewer)

BlueMeanie

Footballguy
Does anyone know of any details regarding how the NFL will determine whether a game will be forfeited??

As league commissioner, I'm trying to find an equitable way not to penalize a team if they have a player in their starting lineup that was declared the WINNER of the forfeit.  I thinking the LOSER should not be awarded, but I can listen to other opinions. 

If I understand the policy, there will be no moving games to other weeks,  If game cannot be played in scheduled  week a forfeit is declared and a loss assigned to team with infraction. 

Will the decision be made before the start of any Sunday game (1PM EAST) ??  Before the scheduled start of the individual game (1PM.4PM, 8PM Sunday or Monday)???  After all postponement options have been exhausted (as late as Wednesday)??

I need to know what options I may have to not penalize a team in our league due to player(s) being on the WINNNG side of a forfeit. If the forfeit is known BEFORE the start of any Sunday game regardless of when the game is scheduled for, it could be handled just as if those players ended up in injury report.  Same scenario might be true for situation where decision is made before the start of the individual game (I'm wavering here).  The real issue will be if the NFL waits until the last possible minute (Wednesday).  I'm thinking in that situation I would allow for the highest scoring reserve at the position be substituted for the player(s) that were on the WINNING side of forfeit. If you have player on LOSING end of forfeit that is too bad.(or am I being too cruel)

Converting to "Best Ball " format is not acceptable 

Any thoughts or other suggestions????

Last edited by a moderator:
Tough decisions to think about here, sorry that I can't be of more assistance, but this is all I have to offer: in any case, allowing the HIGHEST scoring reserve to be substituted after the fact, is NOT an option. Because one likely has several reserves at every position, so odds are ONE of them will put up a big game. No one should have the advantage of plugging in a substitute after the scores are known. Maybe have "sub qb", "sub rb", etc position slots in the lineup that every team picks out of their reserve players. Then if their starter wins in a forfeit, they get to use their already-chosed sub's score.

Also I'm not sure that being on the winning or losing side of a forfeiture should matter in fantasy. It's "fair" either way you want to do it, as long as everyone knows the rules going into the season. But I don't see a sensible reason that being on the losing side of a forfeit should result in demerit to the fantasy team, moreso than being on the winning side.

How about just using the players average points scored to any player involved in a forfeited game?  That is fair to everyone without giving any advantage (like highest scoring bench player) to either side.  Forfeits really are out of the hands of your fantasy owner so punishing one side and not the other really isn't fair either (allowing winning team to get points while forfeit losing team's players can't) 

Just using PPG for the players affected in both sides seems the fairest.

You could allow conditional lineup requests, like a lot of leagues did last year.

Or you could pick a canonical source of projections and use the player's projection for his score.

Or you could do nothing and make managers figure it out.

You could allow conditional lineup requests, like a lot of leagues did last year.

Or you could pick a canonical source of projections and use the player's projection for his score.

Or you could do nothing and make managers figure it out.
This is interesting. For the most part, it would generally only affect WR and RB in our league, since we only carry 5 - 7 reserves (2 are optional IR slots and cost real money to use).  So generally, teams will carry 1 backup QB,TE and 2-3 backup RB and/or WR.  The web site we use (CBS) doesn't provide for this option so I guess only a commination to commissioner before start of Sunday games is required.  If only one substitute is available then obviously it gets used. If no communication is received, then I think LOWEST reserve scoring is applied.  I'm leaning on not just doing this for WINNING team only requirement.    I'm also thinking of  expanding IR max from 2  to 4 resulting in more oprions and at the same time potentially sweetening the pot. 

Tough decisions to think about here, sorry that I can't be of more assistance, but this is all I have to offer: in any case, allowing the HIGHEST scoring reserve to be substituted after the fact, is NOT an option. Because one likely has several reserves at every position, so odds are ONE of them will put up a big game. No one should have the advantage of plugging in a substitute after the scores are known. Maybe have "sub qb", "sub rb", etc position slots in the lineup that every team picks out of their reserve players. Then if their starter wins in a forfeit, they get to use their already-chosed sub's score.

Also I'm not sure that being on the winning or losing side of a forfeiture should matter in fantasy. It's "fair" either way you want to do it, as long as everyone knows the rules going into the season. But I don't see a sensible reason that being on the losing side of a forfeit should result in demerit to the fantasy team, moreso than being on the winning side.
Your changing my mind about the WINNING team only requirement.  The Sub idea seems workable  (see my reply to ZWK)

How about just using the players average points scored to any player involved in a forfeited game?  That is fair to everyone without giving any advantage (like highest scoring bench player) to either side.  Forfeits really are out of the hands of your fantasy owner so punishing one side and not the other really isn't fair either (allowing winning team to get points while forfeit losing team's players can't) 

Just using PPG for the players affected in both sides seems the fairest.
I did consider something along than line, but wondered what to do week 1. The WINNING team only requirement seems to get a thumbs down from everyone. 

I did consider something along than line, but wondered what to do week 1. The WINNING team only requirement seems to get a thumbs down from everyone. 
Just risk it for week 1.  NFL will do everything they can to play every game that first week.  The chances of a forfeit are very small......but let everyone know that you are just SOL if there is a late forfeit and you have players in that game.  Or use the websites projected points scored.  That is another option. 

Users who are viewing this thread