What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Should homosexual parents be allowed to adopt? (1 Viewer)

Should homosexual parents be allowed to adopt?

• Yes

Votes: 95 94.1%
  • No

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Not sure

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters

Caveman33

Footballguy
Though limited in size, early studies of children raised by homosexual parents have found the children to be significantly more likely to identify as non-straight.  The trend is stronger with lesbian parents than gay parents.  A variety of explanations have been proposed, one being that these children feel safer to express what they truly feel.

I expect this will be studied and debated more in the future.  The discussion could converge with our declining birth rate.  How do you feel about allowing homosexual couples to adopt?

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20642872/

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/adult-children-lesbian-parents-less-likely-identify-straight-study-finds-n989976

Last edited by a moderator:
Long as the kid is raised with love and safely and not abused etc etc....doesnt matter to me.
Right.  There is also a study showing that children raised by homosexual parents performed better on standardized tests.  Even if the children are more likely to become homosexual themselves, that doesn't necessarily hinder our population growth as they still have children, biologically and adopted.

Though limited in size, early studies of children raised by homosexual parents have found the children to be significantly more likely to identify as non-straight.  The trend is stronger with lesbian parents than gay parents.  A variety of explanations have been proposed, one being that these children feel safer to express what they truly feel.

I expect this will be studied and debated more in the future.  The discussion could converge with our declining birth rate.  How do you feel about allowing homosexual couples to adopt?

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20642872/

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/adult-children-lesbian-parents-less-likely-identify-straight-study-finds-n989976
Wow, the men are 3-4x more likely to have reported a same sex experience if raised by same sex parents per nbc article?

Overall I agree with the comments here, having one loving parent is good, two is better...regardless of sexual orientation.

That aside, I'm not really fluent in the nature/nurture argument in terms of sexuality, but this data would seem to be very supportive of the role "nurture" plays.  Is it that half the population is inherently gay or bi-sexual and they've just never really been nurtured to support that "nature".

More broadly if "nurture" is that powerful, what are the implications with the social media environment and gender/sexuality identification, which is in many cases the primary nurture source for kids.  What's the nature-nurture interplay, interesting stuff.

Wow, the men are 3-4x more likely to have reported a same sex experience if raised by same sex parents per nbc article?

Overall I agree with the comments here, having one loving parent is good, two is better...regardless of sexual orientation.

That aside, I'm not really fluent in the nature/nurture argument in terms of sexuality, but this data would seem to be very supportive of the role "nurture" plays.  Is it that half the population is inherently gay or bi-sexual and they've just never really been nurtured to support that "nature".

More broadly if "nurture" is that powerful, what are the implications with the social media environment and gender/sexuality identification, which is in many cases the primary nurture source for kids.  What's the nature-nurture interplay, interesting stuff.
I am interested in the nature/nurture aspect as well.  The sample size for the NBC study is very small, I think around 75, but future studies on this subject should shed light on nature/nurture's role in sexuality.  I also wonder if somewhere in the adoption process, the parents, child, or adoption people influenced the likelihood of homosexual parents receiving a 'homosexual' child.  Not sure if others had similar experiences, but many of the kids who were teased for being 'homosexual' at my school, did ultimately turn out to be gay.  I was raised by straight parents, and self-identify as super straight, but if kissing another guy is considered a same sex experience then I suppose I would have had to answer Yes on the NBC survey.

I am interested in the nature/nurture aspect as well.  The sample size for the NBC study is very small, I think around 75, but future studies on this subject should shed light on nature/nurture's role in sexuality.  I also wonder if somewhere in the adoption process, the parents, child, or adoption people influenced the likelihood of homosexual parents receiving a 'homosexual' child.  Not sure if others had similar experiences, but many of the kids who were teased for being 'homosexual' at my school, did ultimately turn out to be gay.  I was raised by straight parents, and self-identify as super straight, but if kissing another guy is considered a same sex experience then I suppose I would have had to answer Yes on the NBC survey.
Yes on the bold, I thought about that too...particularly for kids adopted that are a bit older where sexual orientation can be more evident.

I've got a way to help our declining population growth but that may be better served in another thread.
You're talking about having designated breeders?  I agree that selecting the smartest, most athletic, best looking, and kindest from our society for propagating should be the way of the future.

No way, kids who are raised in an environment where they know they'll be accepted and loved if they come out are more likely to come out? Shocking. 
Could it also be that growing up around that environment makes someone more likely to adopt the lifestyle themselves?  I've heard different things from gay friends.  Some said they were always gay, others have told me that events in their life turned them gay--for a couple of them it was being sexually assaulted.  I assume they were being honest with me.

Could it also be that growing up around that environment makes someone more likely to adopt the lifestyle themselves?  I've heard different things from gay friends.  Some said they were always gay, others have told me that events in their life turned them gay--for a couple of them it was being sexually assaulted.  I assume they were being honest with me.
Well, if we accept this theory then we have to ask the question if we want straight people raising kids because they might also indoctrinate kids into the straight lifestyle. 

Well, if we accept this theory then we have to ask the question if we want straight people raising kids because they might also indoctrinate kids into the straight lifestyle. 

Straight is overwhelmingly the majority of humans on earth.  As in, "it's not even close" type of overwhelming majority.

Note: I inadvertently voted "No" when I meant to vote "not sure".

I'm torn on this subject.  I'll explain my thoughts later.

Right, but what if that's just because straight parents make it more likely kids adopt the straight lifestyle? 

I'm not sure I believe in this train of thought.  You're basically saying "everyone is really gay inside, we just need gay couples to make it easier for kids to come out.".

Homosexuality is the exception to the rule, not the rule.

I was going to post "1995 called and it wants its thread back" but this made me :lol:

Well, to be fair, adoption by gay couples will result in the child losing out on one side of the equation that's necessary for learning and growing.  They either don't have a real mother (biological female) or a real father (biological male).  Men can't teach young girls how to be women anymore than women can teach young boys how to be men.  Plus, all of the other all of the other innate "things" boys pick up from their mother and girls pick up from their father."things" boys pick up from their mother and girls pick up from their father.

Although, I'm on the fence.  In the case of adoption I think the child's need for loving parents may outweigh the loss of one of the sexes.  In the case of invitro or paying someone to have your baby - no way.

Well, to be fair, adoption by gay couples will result in the child losing out on one side of the equation that's necessary for learning and growing.  They either don't have a real mother (biological female) or a real father (biological male).  Men can't teach young girls how to be women anymore than women can teach young boys how to be men.  Plus, all of the other all of the other innate "things" boys pick up from their mother and girls pick up from their father."things" boys pick up from their mother and girls pick up from their father.

Although, I'm on the fence.  In the case of adoption I think the child's need for loving parents may outweigh the loss of one of the sexes.  In the case of invitro or paying someone to have your baby - no way.

"1995 called and it wants its opinion back" 

I am not 100% getting this women can't teach boys to be men (and vice versa) position. 

100% and "can't" are some absolutes that eliminate any nuance.

How much percent are you getting it?  Like 5% or 95%?  Do you think there is any value a man adds to teaching a boy to be a man? 

How much percent are you getting it?  Like 5% or 95%?  Do you think there is any value a man adds to teaching a boy to be a man? 
I'm not the one who said can't.  

I'm not sure I believe in this train of thought.  You're basically saying "everyone is really gay inside, we just need gay couples to make it easier for kids to come out.".

Homosexuality is the exception to the rule, not the rule.
No, that's not at all what I said. 

I would love to know what teaching a boy to be a man or a girl to be a woman entails. Seriously, is there a role, a way to act, a way you should feel? 

I would love to know what teaching a boy to be a man or a girl to be a woman entails. Seriously, is there a role, a way to act, a way you should feel? 
IMO by saying that, the person is basically saying that there is a certain way to be a man, and/or the way I am as a man is the proper way to be??  

I think kids need loving, caring, patient, role models that encourage them to be the best human they can be.  The more of those the better.  Matters not their sexuality or the equipment between their legs.  

Should single parents be outlawed too?

Fine, @djmich - I should have said I guess I get what he is getting at, but don't agree and think it's a bit of an antiquated position.  

To both of you...I don't know really know if there is an answer.  Karma, you seemed to react strongly with a counter view so was thinking maybe you had some opinion to work off....thats all.

Is there even such a thing as a man and woman any longer that has any relevance (besides the sex parts...and yes I know that line is blurred)?  Maybe not, we're all sort of non gendered now?   

As someone (a man) raised by a single mother I’ve got a sense I’m not going agree with some of the opinions being given here.  
DKP, anything you feel you missed with no father figure?  Gained by only have a woman raising you?

IMO by saying that, the person is basically saying that there is a certain way to be a man, and/or the way I am as a man is the proper way to be??  

I think kids need loving, caring, patient, role models that encourage them to be the best human they can be.  The more of those the better.  Matters not their sexuality or the equipment between their legs.  
This is what I thought too, but Blade can explain what he is thinking himself. 

I agree with the 2nd paragraph. Kids need a loving caring responsible adult that can and will teach them to become the same. If it is 1 parent great, 2 parents even better, but their sex, and sexual preference plays no role in their ability to be that mentor for a child. 

Are you actually going to try to convince us that men bring nothing to the table in the raising of young boys? Because we've got about sixty years of data showing that the loss of men in their child lives has been disastrous, especially in the black community.

I agree with the 2nd paragraph. Kids need a loving caring responsible adult that can and will teach them to become the same. If it is 1 parent great, 2 parents even better, but their sex, and sexual preference plays no role in their ability to be that mentor for a child. 

I can't think of one think I am teaching my son that my wife couldn't too.   Nothing else, maybe it's just a comfort level of having somebody in the house that went through the same things, but nothing my wife couldn't instill in him.   Also, when people have these conversations, it seems like we leave every other human out of people's lives - coach, pastor, other family members, teacher, whatever.   Our parents aren't the only ones that help shape us into who we become.  

Disagree 100 percent

Again, like I said in a previous post, we have 60 years of data showing us what the loss of men in the family has done the families.

I can't think of one think I am teaching my son that my wife couldn't too.   Nothing else, maybe it's just a comfort level of having somebody in the house that went through the same things, but nothing my wife couldn't instill in him.   Also, when people have these conversations, it seems like we leave every other human out of people's lives - coach, pastor, other family members, teacher, whatever.   Our parents aren't the only ones that help shape us into who we become.  
Seriously, you can't think of one thing that you bring to the table that your wife can't as far as raising  young boy?

Then I guess you're just not needed. Why even bother if your wife can do it all?  Why is your wife even needed if you can do it all?

Heck maybe we should have kids raised by robots?

Disagree 100 percent

Again, like I said in a previous post, we have 60 years of data showing us what the loss of men in the family has done the families.

That has been refuted a few times in various threads with links and article.   You are falsely equating that stat to the fathers not being in the kids lives.  

That has been refuted a few times in various threads with links and article.   You are falsely equating that stat to the fathers not being in the kids lives.  
that has not been refuted. What are you talkin about?  Because some guy in the internet forum says it was?

I get the feeling in here that whoever post last thinks they won.  You guys can dance around that stat all you want but that's all it is is a dance.

Seriously, you can't think of one thing that you bring to the table that your wife can't as far as raising  young boy?

Then I guess you're just not needed. Why even bother if your wife can do it all?  Why is your wife even needed if you can do it all?

Heck maybe we should have her kids raised by robots?

What I provide is undying love, compassion, understanding, etc.. to both of my kids life.  I do my best to step back and encourage them to be what they want to be.  So no, that couldn't be accomplished with a robot.  I don't think I provide much that is making my son any more or less of a man than what I provide in the first sentence.    

What I provide is undying love, compassion, understanding, etc.. to both of my kids life.  I do my best to step back and encourage them to be what they want to be.  So no, that couldn't be accomplished with a robot.  I don't think I provide much that is making my son any more or less of a man than what I provide in the first sentence.    
So, again, you provide nothing that your wife can already provide. Again oh, why are you needed?

According to your logic and a few other in here you're not needed at all. You're basically a nice to have but not necessary. You can be easily discarded and Life Will Go On as normal for your kids.

Is that what you're trying to tell me?

Users who are viewing this thread