What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let’s talk tailgating (1 Viewer)

SFBayDuck

Footballguy
We’ve thrown some pretty good tailgates over the years - 40 people at the Rose Bowl starting with Bloody Mary bar with bacon infused vodka,  then a full taco bar was one of the best. But it’s been an away game here and there or a bowl game, and now I’m back living in my college town and looking to step up my game. 

I’ve got the basics like a couple of pop up canopies, folding chairs and tables, cornhole game, and some portable propane grills and burners. But would love to work in a tv to watch games for those 5 hours and would like to improve all around. 

So tell me about your setup, especially if you’ve got a tv. Any tips?  Tricks?  Hacks?  Unique beverages?  Favorite recipes?  Themes?

We have a Friday night game in October and my plan is Brisket and Bourbon, smoking a brisket all day on the Traeger at home and having some bourbon cocktail ingredients.  But looking to plan out the rest of the season and figure out what must-have gear I need to lock down in the next month. 

But would love to work in a tv to watch games for those 5 hours and would like to improve all around. 

So tell me about your setup, especially if you’ve got a tv. Any tips?  Tricks?  Hacks?  Unique beverages?  Favorite recipes?  Themes?
A lot of people bring their own satellite dish to tailgates. Failing that, you should be able to do a hot spot from your phone to get the TV going for streaming. Only a dish is going to give you the most up to date experience.

We’ve thrown some pretty good tailgates over the years - 40 people at the Rose Bowl starting with Bloody Mary bar with bacon infused vodka,  then a full taco bar was one of the best. But it’s been an away game here and there or a bowl game, and now I’m back living in my college town and looking to step up my game. 

I’ve got the basics like a couple of pop up canopies, folding chairs and tables, cornhole game, and some portable propane grills and burners. But would love to work in a tv to watch games for those 5 hours and would like to improve all around. 

We have a Friday night game in October and my plan is Brisket and Bourbon, smoking a brisket all day on the Traeger at home and having some bourbon cocktail ingredients.  But looking to plan out the rest of the season and figure out what must-have gear I need to lock down in the next month. 
Open invites for FBGers?

If you're expecting colder weather, there's a lot of value in a propane can heater and/or clip on "sides" for your canopy.  Doubles as a reheat station as you can put a pot of cold chili/chowder/gumbo on top and it'll warm up nicely.  

In the colder months, Maryland Crab soup cooked over an open gas burner. (Like the kind you use to deep fry a turkey)

Picanha is our go to for parties and especially tailgating. All you need is the meat, some corse salt and a grill. Thats it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of people bring their own satellite dish to tailgates. Failing that, you should be able to do a hot spot from your phone to get the TV going for streaming. Only a dish is going to give you the most up to date experience.

Yep. Dish is live live, as will an Digital OTA TV Antenna (Flat, easily mounted) if the game is on local broadcast/network TV. A small cutting board mounted to the top of a Camera tripod makes a great place to mount if using an OTA Antenna 

A hacked firestick running IPTV paired to a mobile hotspot or local Wifi will get you any game you want, but with a 10-30 second delay. 

SEC Country checking in.... 

For afternoon games, don't overlook  Judicious community rounds of The Irish Breakfast Shot. 

If tailgating in The Grove at Ole MIss, don't forget your pewter serving gear, actual silverware, chandeliers, linens for the tables. Sportcoats for gentlemen and cocktail dresses and heels for the ladies. Oh, and Red Solo cups. 

Nice, that shot sounds great!  

And while you're obviously mocking it a bit (and for good reason) a tailgate at The Grove is a definite bucket list item for me, especially as I've never been to MS but my mom was born there and I have relatives there. The grand plan is to start knocking out iconic college football stadiums, traditions, tailgates, etc over the next several years, either because Oregon is playing a road game (like at tOSU this year) or just go check something out during a bye week or away game.  

Yep. Dish is live live, as will an Digital OTA TV Antenna (Flat, easily mounted) if the game is on local broadcast/network TV. A small cutting board mounted to the top of a Camera tripod makes a great place to mount if using an OTA Antenna 

A hacked firestick running IPTV paired to a mobile hotspot or local Wifi will get you any game you want, but with a 10-30 second delay. 

I've done the hot spot thing, the issue tends to be as the people pour in the signal degrades to where it's unusable.  So it's fine at Stanford Stadium where nobody shows up, but doesn't work so well at the Rose Bowl on January 1st with 110,000 cel phones around.  I'd imagine 5G should help with this, so it will be interesting to try that this fall and see how it works in Eugene.

How about running the electronics?  I was researching that last night and looking at the quietest gas powered ones as well as the power banks from places like Jackery or Goal Zero.  We have used an inverter before off of the car battery to run a tv and some phone chargers, but that's obviously not ideal.

If you're expecting colder weather, there's a lot of value in a propane can heater and/or clip on "sides" for your canopy.  Doubles as a reheat station as you can put a pot of cold chili/chowder/gumbo on top and it'll warm up nicely.  
Thanks.  It's not typically too bad here on the West Coast, but we've had some sub-freezing temperature games in November and one of these would be good to have on hand.  We did have a couple of clip on sides for the canopy at one point but I haven't seen them in awhile - will have to dig them up or pick up a few new ones.

Man, brings back great memories of living in Austin and tailgating at UT games.  A buddy of mine was in a service organization whose alumni would host a huge tailgate every home game with catered food, kegs, TV w/ satellite, tons of people, fun times.  I would go even if I wasn't going to the game that day.  Watching the UT eye candy with their cute dresses and boots was incredible.  We'd chip in $20 or something and could eat and drink all day.  So fun.

I have nowhere to tailgate here in SoCal.  I hate USC and don't even know anyone that went there.  UCLA? I wouldn't have any clue where to start.  Local colleges don't have football teams (UCI, Cal State Long Beach / Fullerton).  Meh.

nirad3 said:
Man, brings back great memories of living in Austin and tailgating at UT games.  A buddy of mine was in a service organization whose alumni would host a huge tailgate every home game with catered food, kegs, TV w/ satellite, tons of people, fun times.  I would go even if I wasn't going to the game that day.  Watching the UT eye candy with their cute dresses and boots was incredible.  We'd chip in $20 or something and could eat and drink all day.  So fun.

I have nowhere to tailgate here in SoCal.  I hate USC and don't even know anyone that went there.  UCLA? I wouldn't have any clue where to start.  Local colleges don't have football teams (UCI, Cal State Long Beach / Fullerton).  Meh.

Tailgating at the Rose Bowl is great, even if just for a regular season Bruins game.  Besides the five actual Rose Bowl games Oregon has played in in my lifetime I've been down for a couple of regular season Oregon v UCLA games, and it's just a great setting hanging out there on the golf course for a few hours before the game.  Although the last time we went the guy who took us got so drunk pre-game he didn't make it into the game and slept in his truck the whole time.

So if I were you, I'd start with LSU at UCLA at the Rose Bowl on September 4th!

Tailgating at the Rose Bowl is great, even if just for a regular season Bruins game.  Besides the five actual Rose Bowl games Oregon has played in in my lifetime I've been down for a couple of regular season Oregon v UCLA games, and it's just a great setting hanging out there on the golf course for a few hours before the game.  Although the last time we went the guy who took us got so drunk pre-game he didn't make it into the game and slept in his truck the whole time.

So if I were you, I'd start with LSU at UCLA at the Rose Bowl on September 4th!

I went to a UC school and have some LSU ties (wife's family), so that would be a good one to go to.  I do have a buddy who gets UCLA tix from time to time.  Might have to look into that.  Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread