What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Burger In Each State (1 Viewer)

Never been to the place in Memphis or Wisconsin's place.

So can't say if its better than others or not.  But have had some very tasty burgers here around Nashville.

Gabby's is probably my favorite.  Though, a soft spot for the burger on french bread, onion rings, and a shake from Rotiers.

Wisconsin...most decent bars have really good burgers is what I have found.  Find a place you like, who make great homemade curds and use a good quality bun and be happy.  The Old Fashioned in Madison because their curds are incredibly good and they make a great burger.  Plaza Tavern in Madison also a good one and where my brother worked for a bit while he was at UW.  Around my hometown...Stone Toad bar has a very good burger and curds and uses great buns and bread from my favorite local bakery there.

They chose a place outside Abilene for Texas. Uhhh...ok. I'm not doubting its greatness - it may be. But who would even know?

They chose a place outside Abilene for Texas. Uhhh...ok. I'm not doubting its greatness - it may be. But who would even know?

I get it. The huge states like that are always tough. I kind of like going with a place nobody's heard of. 

I'm a sucker for these kinds of lists but I will say for something that you can find just about anywhere, like a burger, I think it's basically impossible to get a consensus.  BBQ, sushi, foreign cuisine, etc.. those lists are usually pretty accurate.  But each state has thousands of burger places.  Still a cool list and one I would reference during my travels.

ETA - I should say "more accurate" or likely to be accurate versus a burger list.  People will find the best BBQ, sushi, etc. and go out of their way for it.  I don't think they do for a burger.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know if it's the best in SC but Rockaway's is legit. I haven't been in a while but that will change soon. Thanks for the reminder. 

Poe's on Sullivan's Island is one of my favorite spots in SC for a burger as well as Libby's in Lexington SC. Great Pimento Bacon Cheeseburger. 

Tesaro's in Pittsburgh is an excellent choice. I'd be hard pressed to find a better one in the state, but just down the road at BRGR are pretty spectacular as well. 

I like their choice for Oklahoma.  I guess we're known for onion burgers from back on Route 66 primarily in El Reno, but their choice of Tucker's which is a much better version of an onion burger is a good choice.  Tucker's is one of my favorite places for a burger and while they call it a local chain, it's really just a locally owned place that does good food w/ multiple locations all owned by one local company.  I don't call that a chain.

Did they get this right for your state? If not, let's hear what's better. 

https://www.foodandwine.com/travel/restaurants/best-burgers-in-us

I thought I had heard of every place in Detroit.   Never heard of the burger place listed although it looks good.

Millers Bar in Dearborn down the street from Ford Motor World Headquarters has always been very popular in SE Michigan.

Very basic system. No plates just wax paper, no bills..you walk up to bar and tell them what you had including beers. 

Nic's is good, but you can't put that on a big list.  People will never get in there.  Also, stop posting about it.  Took me an hour to get in there last time.  Shh!

Also, not even close is way off.  Tucker's is very good.  
Had to get there at 10am last time I went 🤣

Tuckers = any onion burger in state 🤷🏻‍♂️

Had to get there at 10am last time I went 🤣

Tuckers = any onion burger in state 🤷🏻‍♂️
Wow.  Totally disagree.  Better beef, better buns, fresh fries.  And shakes to die for.  

(This is why burger lists are so tough, it's very hard to differentiate.)

I rolled my eyes when they chose a Cuban burger in Miami. I must admit though it sounds damn good and they mix pork with beef which we do at our house for burgers. Gives it a sweet taste which lends itself to tomato based barbecue sauce. I would give their suggestion a try if I was ever 350 miles South on 95.

they definitely got Jersey right, just the wrong location ... there's also a White Mana on Tonnele & Manhattan in Jersey City - THAT'S the best burger in the state, i've never tasted anything like it. incredible. 

as far as N.Y. - Luger's is overrated - it's a great burger, sure, but, ehhh, dunno 'bout best ... i much prefer the Hop Shoppe in Staten Island - awesome burger 🍔 

Don't know if it's the best in SC but Rockaway's is legit. I haven't been in a while but that will change soon. Thanks for the reminder. 

Poe's on Sullivan's Island is one of my favorite spots in SC for a burger as well as Libby's in Lexington SC. Great Pimento Bacon Cheeseburger. 
I just love how Rockaway's does their pimento cheese fries and it is such a fun spot to watch games. Maybe not the "best" burger but a good one.

Absolutely nailed NC with Brooks though. Their chili-cheese burger is magical. The chili itself is among the best I have had, usually get their chili cheese fries too.  

So can't say if its better than others or not.  But have had some very tasty burgers here around Nashville.

Gabby's is probably my favorite.  Though, a soft spot for the burger on french bread, onion rings, and a shake from Rotiers.

Wisconsin...most decent bars have really good burgers is what I have found.  Find a place you like, who make great homemade curds and use a good quality bun and be happy.  The Old Fashioned in Madison because their curds are incredibly good and they make a great burger.  Plaza Tavern in Madison also a good one and where my brother worked for a bit while he was at UW.  Around my hometown...Stone Toad bar has a very good burger and curds and uses great buns and bread from my favorite local bakery there.
 👍 Great place. And one of my favorite t shirts :)

Never been to the place in Alabama either, for a chain I've been very happy with smashburger.  

but the author has never been in my kitchen so :shrug:

Big fan of burgers. I also make a great burger, both on the grill (classic burgers) and griddle (smashburgers). 

While these lists are fun, I'm not a fan of many of these types of burgers. For me, simple is better for burgers. I don't like burgers that are too thick / too sloppy to properly eat, and I'm not that into extra stuff on a burger (even bacon can be borderline). Cheese is a must, and some combo of lettuce / tomato / onion / pickle is about it. Wanna substitute an onion ring or onion straws for onion? Ok. I also don't mind getting creative with the bun (the bun is an underrated part of the burger imho), and if the place has a secret sauce instead of ketchup, that's fine too. 

Connecticut is spot-on and it's not even close. I lived blocks from there and spent sixteen bucks (four four of 'em, you might need 'em and don't bash this chubby guy) there often. Louis' Lunch is just a great place. There are two other places in CT that are famous for steamed burgers, but they're nowhere near as good as the one hundred year-old cast iron grill at Louis'.

It's a place the alumni of Yale actually paid to have lifted up and moved from one location to another because of financial considerations (they were on property developers wanted and couldn't stop the development. Yankee Breakfast is another place the alumni did that with). Rich with history, rich with beef, the place is the palace of low-rent, low-cost, but high-taste burgers for gourmand burghers. 

I get it. The huge states like that are always tough. I kind of like going with a place nobody's heard of. 

California... just too many and too many weird iterations. The winner in the article:

long-salted grass-fed chuck ground down in small batches, chargrilled and served on toasted rosemary focaccia swabbed with bright yellow aioli, and topped with pickled onions and zucchini—everything made in-house, naturally.

So "Cali" and in some ways so wrong. I don't want rosemary bread or zucchini on my burgers. Hodad's, Ocean Beach, San Diego makes "normal" burgers that are off the charts as long as you order normal and not one of their monstrousities. Unless you like monstrousity burgers - this is the place for those too. 

I'm a little busy atm, but will share my LA and middle of nowhere favorites later. One in LA is a must for the daring. It's a great burger and a better experience.

I'll nominate the best burger of the upstate: The Southern Growl in Greer, SC.  Dozens of high end beers on tap, big tv's, great outdoor dining as well as indoor.  Fantastic overall place.  Each week they have a burger special.  Below is last weeks special(they haven't posted this weeks yet):

Special Burger this week:

Smoke Break - topped with jalapeño-tomatillo jam, smoked gouda, American, bacon, leek ash aioli, shrettuce, and white onion on a house bun.

Pair with I Wear Schwarz Schwarz.

California... just too many and too many weird iterations. The winner in the article:

So "Cali" and in some ways so wrong. I don't want rosemary bread or zucchini on my burgers. Hodad's, Ocean Beach, San Diego makes "normal" burgers that are off the charts as long as you order normal and not one of their monstrousities. Unless you like monstrousity burgers - this is the place for those too. 

I'm a little busy atm, but will share my LA and middle of nowhere favorites later. One in LA is a must for the daring. It's a great burger and a better experience.

I loved Hodads. 

My parents went to Hodad's and loved it. Made a special trip for it because of Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives, and usually aren't suckers for that sort of touristy thing, but it really appealed to them. They loved it. Aren't there two locations now or something though? Or am I dreaming. Reviews generally stay away from those sort of franchisee-esque steps. 

Good list.  For Madison Dotty's Dumpling always gets high marks but I think their burgers are just average.  I like the places you mention plus I'll add the Village Bar and Graze for having excellent burgers.

Big fan of burgers. I also make a great burger, both on the grill (classic burgers) and griddle (smashburgers). 

While these lists are fun, I'm not a fan of many of these types of burgers. For me, simple is better for burgers. I don't like burgers that are too thick / too sloppy to properly eat, and I'm not that into extra stuff on a burger (even bacon can be borderline). Cheese is a must, and some combo of lettuce / tomato / onion / pickle is about it. Wanna substitute an onion ring or onion straws for onion? Ok. I also don't mind getting creative with the bun (the bun is an underrated part of the burger imho), and if the place has a secret sauce instead of ketchup, that's fine too. 

I agree.  The other thing is there needs to be a proper ratio of burger to bun to toppings.  Too messy is bad.  I have to be able to pick it up and eat in.  These burgers that put too many toppings to the point you can't even fit it in your mouth may look good but usually fail for actual taste & ratio.  

I have my favorite places in DFW, Austin and Houston, but this article did make me at least see that it's 2 hours and 44 mins to get to their pick. Could make a nice Saturday drive.

I just love how Rockaway's does their pimento cheese fries and it is such a fun spot to watch games. Maybe not the "best" burger but a good one.

Absolutely nailed NC with Brooks though. Their chili-cheese burger is magical. The chili itself is among the best I have had, usually get their chili cheese fries too.  
Those Pimento Cheese Fries are the bomb. I like to add some bacon and eat them with ranch. 

I love a good chili cheeseburger. I'll have to check it out. 

Best burger in Vermont - and it's on many lists - can be had @ Worthy Burger in S. Royalton in SCentral Vt which gets all its product from a cooperative of local farms within a dozen miles of it, of which my cousin Joey is a member (sells Galloway beef & Mangalitsa pork online). Righteous craft beers, too. If you're enjoying the best leaf-peeping the state has to offer, in the area from Mad River down to Quechee Gorge (from Burlington, I-89 to rte 100, to 107 to 12 to 4 back to I-89), give a stop.

Two great calls on Madison burgers.  Especially the Plaza.  I worked like two blocks from there for a number of years.  Ate lunch there fairly often :thumbup:

Those Pimento Cheese Fries are the bomb. I like to add some bacon and eat them with ranch. 

I love a good chili cheeseburger. I'll have to check it out. 
Long shot here but if you're ever in Maui Cool Cats Cafe has an amazing chili cheeseburger.  It's fresh beef from the island topped with sweet maui onions.  It's a must stop for those going to Hawaii.  

I have my favorite places in DFW, Austin and Houston, but this article did make me at least see that it's 2 hours and 44 mins to get to their pick. Could make a nice Saturday drive.

What are your favorite in DFW/Austin/Houston? I mean, besides Whataburger.

Long shot here but if you're ever in Maui Cool Cats Cafe has an amazing chili cheeseburger.  It's fresh beef from the island topped with sweet maui onions.  It's a must stop for those going to Hawaii.  
We honeymooned in Kauai.  The Puka Dog (not a hamburger, I know) was seriously my favorite meal on the island.

The Old Fashioned in Madison because their curds are incredibly good and they make a great burger.  Plaza Tavern in Madison also a good one and where my brother worked for a bit while he was at UW.
I'd argue that Dotty Dumpling's is the best burger in Madison.

I'll nominate the best burger of the upstate: The Southern Growl in Greer, SC.  Dozens of high end beers on tap, big tv's, great outdoor dining as well as indoor.  Fantastic overall place.  Each week they have a burger special.  Below is last weeks special(they haven't posted this weeks yet):

Special Burger this week:

Smoke Break - topped with jalapeño-tomatillo jam, smoked gouda, American, bacon, leek ash aioli, shrettuce, and white onion on a house bun.

Pair with I Wear Schwarz Schwarz.
I'll check it out next time I'm up that way. 

Thanks GB. 

I can't judge the one selected for my state (Virginia), as have not found myself in Roanoke.

I will throw a flag on the NM selection. Red chile is good on many things, but NM's best burger has to have green chile, not red.  I'd go for something like the Buckhorn Burger in San Antonio, NM.

What are your favorite in DFW/Austin/Houston? I mean, besides Whataburger.
Well yeah, besides Whataburger

DFW - always partial to the FW side - Fred's Cafe is the absolute best classic burger. Rodeo Goat if you want something slightly different.

Austin - Buddy's Burgers or JewBoy

Houston - Been years since I have been there, but Sam's Burgers on the westside of the loop was my favorite. Not even sure if it's still there. They had like three items on the menu and Blue Bell milkshakes.

Solly's in Milwaukee is really good.  I used to work near there and got the burger for lunch a bunch of times.  I don't recall thinking this is the best in the state, but it was very good.  Haven't been there in 15 years though.  I should go back and see. 

👍 Great place. And one of my favorite t shirts :)

Never been to the place in Alabama either, for a chain I've been very happy with smashburger.  

but the author has never been in my kitchen so :shrug:

Callaghan's is legit, both the bar and burger.  If you get a chance, try it.

Yeah, the "California winner" doesn't sound like a burger I would enjoy, personally.

I can vouch for the Minnesota choice.

Dotty's and Plaza, as mentioned by others, are both really good.  My SIL swears that Solly's is the best in the state, so now I'll have to try it!  @trader jake let's make a Solly's trip happen.  Maybe @gruecdwill show up too.  Milwaukee cornhole.

@Joe BryantPerfect timing on this topic, as we are leaving on a cross country road trip to Yellowstone tomorrow.   Will be driving through like 75 states or something (ok, bad at math but whatever) in a span of 13 days.   Absolutely will be checking out this list to see where to eat.  Thanks for posting!

Wife and I love The Old Fashioned.  

No love from you guys for Bennett's Meadowood Country Club?  :lol:   

Users who are viewing this thread