What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cars that turn off at red lights. Explain peas. (1 Viewer)

eoMMan

Footballguy
How does this make sense?

I understand the part about the car not running during the red light and thus saving gas but aren't you putting a lot of stress on your starter/ignition/battery/otherfancycarpartnames by having to restart the vehicle?

And if one lives their life a quarter mile at a time, wouldn't this give them a disadvantage?

:family:

I understand the part about the car not running during the red light and thus saving gas but aren't you putting a lot of stress on your starter/ignition/battery/otherfancycarpartnames by having to restart the vehicle?

And if one lives their life a quarter mile at a time, wouldn't this give them a disadvantage?

:goodposting:

Sorry that you are not grateful for that nickel in gas you are saving, not to mention the equivalent of 3 cow farts that won't hit the stratosphere.

On mine you have to press the brake down pretty hard to make it happen, so if you don’t like it, it’s easy to avoid. It doesn’t feel like a full restart when it comes back, so maybe that’s part of it. 

my truck did this.  It had a super-charged starter in-line with the transmission and fired up immediately.  

of course, the transmission went out on me at 150k and then 180k miles so I can't say it worked well.

Thought I read somewhere that car manufacturers built this in not because customers want it, but to squeeze a little more fuel efficiency and slight better emissions to help meet government regulations.

Thought I read somewhere that car manufacturers built this in not because customers want it, but to squeeze a little more fuel efficiency and slight better emissions to help meet government regulations.
This - Auto Start/Stop is the name of the feature at Ford.  It is going to get deleted shortly to reduce needed microchips for the F150s with certain powertrains.

The first time I ever saw this was in a rental car. I thought there was something wrong with it and kept my foot on the gas and brake at stop signs and lights to give it a high idle so it wouldn't shut off. Did that all the way to the hotel. Finally looked it up when we got to the hotel and realized it was supposed to be doing that.

I recently had a rental that did this. It didn't bother me too much, as it starts up really quickly when you hit the gas, but I wouldn't buy a car with this 'feature', both based on it being annoying when you're in stop-and-go traffic or travelling through an area with lots of stoplights, and I've got to imagine that the wear-and-tear on the vehicle is more. 

I'd also question whether it saves fuel/gas in real-world conditions, or just in the idealized conditions used for the official fuel efficiency/emissions tests.

My buddy's Volkswagen Atlas does this, and I spent some time in his car a few weeks ago and it was annoying even just as a passenger.  I would hate to have a vehicle that does this.
We rented an Atlas a few years ago for our trip to Niagara Falls.  I thought something was wrong with the SUV and took it back.  They said it was a "feature".  Hated it, but did see a button that turned it off.  You have to press it every time you crank the car, but it will stop shutting off for that trip.

I recently had a rental that did this. It didn't bother me too much, as it starts up really quickly when you hit the gas, but I wouldn't buy a car with this 'feature', both based on it being annoying when you're in stop-and-go traffic or travelling through an area with lots of stoplights, and I've got to imagine that the wear-and-tear on the vehicle is more. 

I'd also question whether it saves fuel/gas in real-world conditions, or just in the idealized conditions used for the official fuel efficiency/emissions tests.
Yeah, currently on vacation with a Buick rental car that has the feature and hate it. The acceleration from a stop is really unpredictable IMO. It really sucks when you’re waiting a long time to make a left across traffic, finally get an opening, and the car hesitates as it turns back on before taking off like a shot. 

The first time I ever saw this was in a rental car. I thought there was something wrong with it and kept my foot on the gas and brake at stop signs and lights to give it a high idle so it wouldn't shut off. Did that all the way to the hotel. Finally looked it up when we got to the hotel and realized it was supposed to be doing that.
I used to drive an old clunker that did the same. But it wasn't supposed to.

Our new Traverse does this. It annoyed me quite a bit for the first month or two, but I don't even notice it anymore. 

Yeah, currently on vacation with a Buick rental car that has the feature and hate it. The acceleration from a stop is really unpredictable IMO. It really sucks when you’re waiting a long time to make a left across traffic, finally get an opening, and the car hesitates as it turns back on before taking off like a shot. 
This feature sounds like it could cause accidents on left turns. 

My Ford has the feature. There’s a button you can push to deactivate it. 
Mine does, as well.  Though there is a dongle you can buy to disable it completely without remembering to hit the button. Having the A/C on max also disables it.

Mine does, as well.  Though there is a dongle you can buy to disable it completely without remembering to hit the button. Having the A/C on max also disables it.
Yep. This was Ford's greatest failing with the feature. You can turn it off, but you have no option to make "off" your baseline. You have to push the button every single time you start the vehicle. Annoying isn't a strong enough word.

Why? As mentioned before, Ford wouldn't get credit for it as gas-saving/pollution-reducing feature if the consumer had the option of just leaving it turned off. It had to be automatic (hence, the black market dongle solution that permanently disables it). Get the government out of my truck!  :lol:

Yep. This was Ford's greatest failing with the feature. You can turn it off, but you have no option to make "off" your baseline. You have to push the button every single time you start the vehicle. Annoying isn't a strong enough word.

Why? As mentioned before, Ford wouldn't get credit for it as gas-saving/pollution-reducing feature if the consumer had the option of just leaving it turned off. It had to be automatic (hence, the black market dongle solution that permanently disables it). Get the government out of my truck!  :lol:
https://www.autostopeliminator.com/collections/ford

If you were looking for something here. 

Pretty sure the button has to only deactivate it for that driving cycle to meet the govt emissions standard. Bu, agreed, I HATE this feature.  My wife's 2018 JL that we just sold had it.  I hated it even more when I learned out that it had a 2nd smaller battery hidden under the front seat that was dedicated to support this feature. And the battery had to be in place and good to start the vehicle. So more consumable parts for sure.

Pretty sure the button has to only deactivate it for that driving cycle to meet the govt emissions standard. Bu, agreed, I HATE this feature.  My wife's 2018 JL that we just sold had it.  I hated it even more when I learned out that it had a 2nd smaller battery hidden under the front seat that was dedicated to support this feature. And the battery had to be in place and good to start the vehicle. So more consumable parts for sure.
My wife's car is two years old and would not start because that extra battery died on it :hot:

The General said:
I would drive me crazy if my car did this but this has to be the answer. That's a buttloadTM  of emissions not going into the air.
More than likely why it's sometimes the default instead of an optional button to hit.  I believe it's the "standard" version that gets the emissions test.

It originated in Europe to reduce emissions. First ran into it with a Mercedes rental in Germany about 4 years ago. Our cars have it. You can deactivate but has to be done every time you start the car. Or like previously mentioned, don't push the brake all the way down. I thought it would be an extreme stress on the battery and/or starter but they don't make cats like they use too. It will automatically start up also to keep the air cool (I assume the same to keep heat on). There are various versions among auto companies. First appeared in 1974 on Toyota Crown.

boilerdave said:
Same here or you can juse ease your foot off the gas for a moment. Not sure why it would matter,  I am pretty sure the people designing the cars know what they are doing. Lord knows the current crop of cars perform better and last longer than they did 40 years ago. 

boilerdave said:

Yes, my wife's Honda Pilot had the "off" button too, but you had to hit it every time you got in the car.  It didn't "remember".  PITA.

Same here or you can juse ease your foot off the gas for a moment. Not sure why it would matter,  I am pretty sure the people designing the cars know what they are doing. Lord knows the current crop of cars perform better and last longer than they did 40 years ago. 
Yeah it’s never been a big deal to me. The only time I notice it much is when it’s really hot out and the AC shuts down….But I don’t think I’m going to die of heat exhaustion waiting at a red light. 

It's such a subtle sound, but the sound of a car starting beside me at an intersection isn't something I'm used to yet. Startles me. Then I get pissed at them for an entire 2 seconds because how dare they startle me. When do we ever really hear another car start though. A car that we aren't in. Oh yeah I remembered what I came to say. Next time you are new car shopping. Point out what a peon you'd have to be to volunteer and actually pay money to hand over your car's ignition liberty. Pay money to drive a car with one of the most-inane features ever created attached to critical engine parts, front and center. One does not often receive such good negotiation ammo. You could neg that #### all afternoon. I'd pay five grand to own a car like that.

When I first got auto stop start, I googled how to permanently disable it and found a lot of YouTube videos.  Then covid hit, I barely drove, and somewhere along the lines got used to it. I never even tried it myself, but it’s possible. 

holy smokes next up on old dorks complain about new better stuff is roundabouts why cant we just have stop signs again take that to the bank brohans

no more electric lights a world without pitch torches everywhere is a world we dont need take that to the bank brohans

boilerdave said:
My new 2021 Subaru Crosstrek has both the feature and deactivation button.  You have to remember to deactivate when you start the car since the default is its active.

Messed with my head on the test drive.  Lol

Back in the 70’s, my dad would physically turn the key and shut the car off at red lights and when stuck at railroad crossings. 
Yea I thought this was what this thread was all about. My dad used to do this in the 80s with a stick shift. Took 30 seconds to get the car moving again :lmao:  So many angry honks behind him. 

I wouldn't care so much, but when the car turns off, so does the AC and it starts blowing warm air on me.  Stupid car.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread