What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The hernia thread (1 Viewer)

Cold Dead Hands

Footballguy
My hernia history:

Around 2009 I lifted something very heavy and felt a pop in my groin area. Ended up being an Inguinal hernia. Took a few months to get scheduled for repair and I was in some pain. Laparoscopic repair went well and I have mesh stabilizing the area. I get mild discomfort from the mesh rarely, but have difficulty running due to inconsistent discomfort.

2019 I got a small umbilical hernia when dragging a box of paperwork out of the backseat of my car. No discomfort and it hasn’t gotten bigger.

Yesterday I coughed really hard when something I drank went down wrong. I had a bit of discomfort on the right side above my groin. Looks like an inguinal hernia. I am in discomfort when I stand or sit. I ordered a hernia strap for it from Amazon. Should get here tomorrow. I guess I am going to go get it checked out this week and probably schedule surgery.

Getting old sucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
had a double fixed in October of last year. i had one of each, inguinal and umbilical. 

so far, so good. not really excited about the prospect of potentially popping the mesh or ripping another one in the future :(

Had an inguinal several years ago.  Actually happened at some point during marathon training and ran the thing with it.  I didn't actually realize it at the time.  Started having a lot of discomfort in the month or so after the race and got it checked out.

The recovery from that surgery was an absolute #####.  No laparoscopic for me...got the "big scar"

The recovery from that surgery was an absolute #####.  No laparoscopic for me...got the "big scar"

concur. doctor told me "6-8 weeks for full recovery. take 4-6 weeks off work and rest."

i took two out of the gate to avoid having to go through paperwork/HR hoops. went back to work for a couple days and just could not tolerate sitting upright that long. took another week off and wish i had just gone the full 6 weeks straight.

not good times

I’ve been looking at the Da Vinci robot assisted surgery. My first repair was laparoscopic and the recover only took a few days. No way I would agree to full open surgery at this point.

Just had a Nissen Fundoplication done to fix a category 3 paraesophageal hernia. Thing was causing me all kinds of issues. Had to take 6 weeks off from work (semi-physical job), which wasn't the worst thing in the world. The worst part was being on a soft foods diet the first 3 weeks. Still have a small umbilical that I might get done next year.

Had an inguinal several years ago.  Actually happened at some point during marathon training and ran the thing with it.  I didn't actually realize it at the time.  Started having a lot of discomfort in the month or so after the race and got it checked out.

I had open surgery for an inguinal hernia/hydrocele and I believe the surgeon sewed the area closed without mesh.  It was fine for a few years but last couple years whenever I ride a bicycle and jerk off I get pain that radiates from the inguinal canal up the urethra.  My doctor suggested I have a cyst.  Ever heard of open hernia repair causing something like that?

I had open surgery for an inguinal hernia/hydrocele and I believe the surgeon sewed the area closed without mesh.  It was fine for a few years but last couple years whenever I ride a bicycle and jerk off I get pain that radiates from the inguinal canal up the urethra.  My doctor suggested I have a cyst.  Ever heard of open hernia repair causing something like that?
I think any scar tissue can do that.

No. And I also don’t recommend doing that while on a bike.

I just had an inguinal hernia repaired laparoscopically in June.  Kinda sucked the first week but by week 3 I felt normal.  I haven’t had any issues but very early in the game. 

Pretty sure I have one as I have a small bulge above my groin on the right side, pelvic bone area.  Occasional discomfort l, more annoying than anything.  Been meaning to go to the doctor but really didn’t want surgery over the summer.  Can play softball, golf and bike without any issues so probably deal with it this fall/winter 

I've had one for 35 years.  Tore it skiing and every dr. since then said it's fine don't worry about it...

Had surgery for dual inguinal hernias in May. I started having pain/discomfort during the winter. Was packing up my old house, throwing big, heavy stuff away  - that's probably what did it.

Surgery wasn't bad, and I was on my feet quickly, although with a new house, it was hard to just be idle (essentially no lifting anything for a month). The area (more on the right side) is still sore on and off, especially after doing physical work. Doc said that's pretty normal, scar tissue, etc. Even that is slowly getting better, but at 55, I know I won't recover like I would at 25. My days of lifting really heavy stuff are over.

I had surgery to repair a Hydrocele last Tuesday. Have been in pain ever since. My left testicle was swollen before the surgery but wasn't painful. My Dr said after surgery it would get worse before it got better. Damn, was he right. Wished I wouldn't have done it now.

Any surgery in the lower abdomen can lead to swelling around the opening into the scrotum causing intense pain. There is also sometimes a lot of drainage into the scrotum. I looked like I was sporting a bag of eggplants after my surgery years ago. I am happy to report I now have the #### of a normal human. 

Surgery scheduled for Monday so long as COVID doesn’t shut down electives in my area. Looking forward to it. Tonight I had a sneezing fit. My insides tried to become my outsides. Not awesome.

About 5 hours post-op. Laying in my bed. I got up to pee about 45 minutes ago. It was a ##### getting out of bed but ai think a few twinges of pain and my decades old muscle memory kicked in and I managed to get up with minimal pain.

I hurt. I don’t take pain meds. I don’t like them. I just at a little bit of apple and some crackers so I could take some Advil. Did I mention that I hurt?

The Da Vinci machine looked cool. Well the 30 seconds I saw of it over in the corner before they gave me the “good stuff” as the anesthesiologist said. I feel lucid for the first time since, though not hurting was pleasant.

update: I attempted to post this 15 minutes ago and fell asleep before I could hit submit, so…

• Smile
Reactions: jwb
About 5 hours post-op. Laying in my bed. I got up to pee about 45 minutes ago. It was a ##### getting out of bed but ai think a few twinges of pain and my decades old muscle memory kicked in and I managed to get up with minimal pain.

I hurt. I don’t take pain meds. I don’t like them. I just at a little bit of apple and some crackers so I could take some Advil. Did I mention that I hurt?

The Da Vinci machine looked cool. Well the 30 seconds I saw of it over in the corner before they gave me the “good stuff” as the anesthesiologist said. I feel lucid for the first time since, though not hurting was pleasant.

update: I attempted to post this 15 minutes ago and fell asleep before I could hit submit, so…
post-double i was cool as a fan for about 8-10 hours.  took my first pain pills the day after. 

the agony hit me like a sledgehammer when i tried moving after a fitful night of sleep.

gllllllllll

Couple days post-op. Will start working from home today. I can get in and out of bed with only a slight twinge of pain. The area of the repair with mesh is still sensitive. I am happy to report that my right nut is only twice the size of lefty. My incisions appear to be healing nicely. 

I feel like I may have one of some variety. If I lift something fairly heavy, I will have discomfort in my groin area for maybe a week or so and then it slowly goes away until the next time I lift something heavy. I've just been dealing with it and either avoid lifting heavy things or ask for assistance.

Any long term issues with doing that? Doesn't feel like I need surgery. 

I feel like I may have one of some variety. If I lift something fairly heavy, I will have discomfort in my groin area for maybe a week or so and then it slowly goes away until the next time I lift something heavy. I've just been dealing with it and either avoid lifting heavy things or ask for assistance.

what the doc told me was there's always the possibility of a testicle leaking out of the tear, getting pinched and twisted and then you're in bad trouble. testicular torsion.

or if you have an umbilical hernia the fear is intestine leaks out, gets cinched off from its oxygen supply and dies. then they have to open you up and resect part of your intestine if it doesn't kill you first.

neither sounded fun

A good rule of thumb with hernias is that if it hurts go to a doctor.

Been dealing with a double hernia for 6-7 years. Never really bothered me until recently, as the left one has really started to flare up. When it’s real bad, the pain radiates down my leg and around my waist to my back.

I have 2 trips over the next 2 months that will burn most of my PTO. Probably look at repair sometime late fall when I can take a full week off work.

Appears I’ve injured myself doing kettlebell swings. I think it’s just a sports hernia or muscle strain but not sure. Plan to see doc if it doesn’t get better but i don’t think it’s a hernia. Pain is dead center of lower abdomen almost equal distance between belly button and penis. No other symptoms. Just ice, ibuprofen and rest??

Well, spoke too soon. It was bothering me enough to go to urgent care. Said she felt what she thought was a small hernia and it needed to be scanned but they don’t have imaging open on Sundays. Said I could come back tomorrow or go to ER - decided to go to ER and see how busy they were. Got in quick and had a CT scan. Scan was normal, referred to surgeon to evaluate the hernia. Sucks.

What am I looking at here?

Well, spoke too soon. It was bothering me enough to go to urgent care. Said she felt what she thought was a small hernia and it needed to be scanned but they don’t have imaging open on Sundays. Said I could come back tomorrow or go to ER - decided to go to ER and see how busy they were. Got in quick and had a CT scan. Scan was normal, referred to surgeon to evaluate the hernia. Sucks.

What am I looking at here?
if they can do laproscopic and it's small, should be a pretty quick turnaround. maybe a couple weeks iirc what my doctor told me as best case scenario having mine done.

if you really ripped it open and need to get the "traditional" cut open then 6-8 weeks.

glllllllllllll

Totally forgot to update the thread. Whole thing was a weird experience. So, as I mentioned the urgent care person and the ER diagnosed it as a hernia. Went to see the general surgeon and ended up seeing the PA. She checked it out and said she didn’t feel a hernia and didn’t think I had one but wanted the surgeon to review and advise - I come back two weeks later, area is still bothering me a little but it’s much better. Surgeon says they don’t know what the ER saw but I don’t have hernia and just had me do RICE and about a month or so later I was fine.

:shrug:

Totally forgot to update the thread. Whole thing was a weird experience. So, as I mentioned the urgent care person and the ER diagnosed it as a hernia. Went to see the general surgeon and ended up seeing the PA. She checked it out and said she didn’t feel a hernia and didn’t think I had one but wanted the surgeon to review and advise - I come back two weeks later, area is still bothering me a little but it’s much better. Surgeon says they don’t know what the ER saw but I don’t have hernia and just had me do RICE and about a month or so later I was fine.

:shrug:
Dear god let this be me.

Went through about a 10 day stretch of pain out of nowhere. Originated in the hernia area, but radiated all the way down, and even past my left knee. Got in to see my primary, and have a surgical consult next Monday.

Odd thing is that about a week ago, the pain just evaporated, but I’m going to go ahead and go to the consult, because I want to see if I can double dip with a colonoscopy at the same time.

Went through about a 10 day stretch of pain out of nowhere. Originated in the hernia area, but radiated all the way down, and even past my left knee. Got in to see my primary, and have a surgical consult next Monday.

Odd thing is that about a week ago, the pain just evaporated, but I’m going to go ahead and go to the consult, because I want to see if I can double dip with a colonoscopy at the same time.
Probably the one procedure you shouldn't double dip with.

Didn’t know that. What’s the rationale?

Didn’t know that. What’s the rationale?
The taste.

this would happen to me periodically. cruising along fine, no issues, then *WHAM* pain for several days for seemingly no reason.... before just going away again for months at a time.

looking back, given how bad things got, i assume the periods of pain were additional tearing :( maybe very small tearing, but tearing nonetheless.

Went to the surgeon yesterday. She said I may have a small hernia on the right, but nothing in the left (which is where my pain is). No idea what’s causing it, CT scan in my future.

Went to the surgeon yesterday. She said I may have a small hernia on the right, but nothing in the left (which is where my pain is). No idea what’s causing it, CT scan in my future.
@Terminalxylem what's the term here where the injury is in one part of the body but the pain is felt elsewhere?

referral pain or something like that?

Users who are viewing this thread