What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Removing a Yellow Jacket Nest (ground) (1 Viewer)

Dinsy Ejotuz

Footballguy
My kid got into a yellow jacket nest a bit ago while mowing.  Luckily instinct kicked in on the first hit and he ran, so only got stung once.

I can see the hole -- on the side of the hill in our yard where there's a lot of roots -- and happy to go out after dark and nuke it, but...

What's the preferred substance these days?  We always just poured a gallon of gas into the hole when I was a kid, but guessing that's not necessarily the way to go today?

Anyone use soapy water, or do I need to hit Home Depot for some actual insecticide powders?

My kid got into a yellow jacket nest a bit ago while mowing.  Luckily instinct kicked in on the first hit and he ran, so only got stung once.

I can see the hole -- on the side of the hill in our yard where there's a lot of roots -- and happy to go out after dark and nuke it, but...

What's the preferred substance these days?  We always just poured a gallon of gas into the hole when I was a kid, but guessing that's not necessarily the way to go today?

Anyone use soapy water, or do I need to hit Home Depot for some actual insecticide powders?
This exact thing happened to me yesterday.  Your kid is faster than me, as I got stung 5 times.

I've declared war on these mutha @%^&@#'s, and am watching this thread with interest.

This exact thing happened to me yesterday.  Your kid is faster than me, as I got stung 5 times.

I've declared war on these mutha @%^&@#'s, and am watching this thread with interest.
They really are devil spawn.  So easy to miss a nest until you're in it.

Reaction time is key -- just bolt, don't take the time to figure out what's happening until you're somewhere else. 

I got into two when I was young.  The first with a stick, and I got away without a sting by boogying when I saw the first one crawling out.  The second was just like my son today -- I got stung once on the ankle, let go of the mower and ran for the door. 

I'm going to try the soap and water method tonight and then flood the nest out again with the garden hose tomorrow if the coast looks clear.  I'll report back.  Unless I die.

They really are devil spawn.  So easy to miss a nest until you're in it.

Reaction time is key -- just bolt, don't take the time to figure out what's happening until you're somewhere else. 

I got into two when I was young.  The first with a stick, and I got away without a sting by boogying when I saw the first one crawling out.  The second was just like my son today -- I got stung once on the ankle, let go of the mower and ran for the door. 
Yeah, experience is the mother of wisdom.  I haven't been stung for 3 decades or so, so I stopped and wondered why I had pain near my ankle.  That 3-4 second delay is all it took.

I just went back out as dusk is rolling in and... having doubts.  There are a ton of these things!  Like 8-10 around the entrance coming back in at any given time.

I just went back out as dusk is rolling in and... having doubts.  There are a ton of these things!  Like 8-10 around the entrance coming back in at any given time.

I like the environment as much as the next guy, but for these things, you gotta go nuclear. Forget the soap and water thing. Go get the toxic-waste level spray that shoots 20' at home depot.  

I like the environment as much as the next guy, but for these things, you gotta go nuclear. Forget the soap and water thing. Go get the toxic-waste level spray that shoots 20' at home depot.  
Flamethrower not an option?

I'm going to try the soap and water method tonight and then flood the nest out again with the garden hose tomorrow if the coast looks clear.  I'll report back.  Unless I die.
Didn't that video linked say soap and water is what NOT to do?

Couple replies say boiling water or gasoline at night.

Great timing as I had a massive nest in my front yard that I fell in and got stung multiple times.  I just pour gasoline on it , lit it on fire then built a fire over it.  Be careful as the bees usually have a second exit so must find 2nd hole too.  Will let you know how it works out tomorrow...

You let the gas sit for a few minutes so that the gas permeates the whole thing. When you light it you will see the other exit. It will look like a candle for a few seconds

I had our pest removal company remove two of these things a few weeks ago- 1 from a bush, 1 from our mulch. There’s already another big one in the mulch so they’re coming back this week. Pain in the ###

100% alcohol. No cheap stuff. Get em drunk and take advantage. They might be into it at first, but you can smother them with your large rock when they try to crawl out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Godsbrother said:
This except for the match part. The gas+fumes will do the trick.  I’ve done this at least a dozen times and it’s never failed.
But where's the fun in that?

I'd just move.
This is what I get for posting this in here.

Just found a huge nest today next to our house.  Pest control guy out here already this afternoon.  Found 2 holes, estimates there are 5,000 of them in the nest.  Said avoid the area he just treated for 24 hours as they will be pissed. 

This guy, though.  I asked if he was going in there without wearing anything.  He said yeah, he was studying their flight patterns and knows how to get in there and avoid them.  Has only been stung once. :jawdrop:

gianmarco said:
This is what I get for posting this in here.

Just found a huge nest today next to our house.  Pest control guy out here already this afternoon.  Found 2 holes, estimates there are 5,000 of them in the nest.  Said avoid the area he just treated for 24 hours as they will be pissed. 

This guy, though.  I asked if he was going in there without wearing anything.  He said yeah, he was studying their flight patterns and knows how to get in there and avoid them.  Has only been stung once. :jawdrop:
Wait, 5000?   :useless:

No way.

Sorry I missed this thread. The foaming spray with the straw extension thing is the way to go. I think it is labeled for carpenter bees. 

I hate these things so much. If you ask my daughter which yellow jackets are the good yellow jackets, she will answer "the dead ones."

I have always wanted to pour hot cooking oil down one of those holes though. Like a castle siege kinda thing. 

Users who are viewing this thread