What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Superflex Studs - 2021 QBs ONLY (1 Viewer)

Soulfly3

Footballguy
Who are the top QBs you are targetting in your Superflex League this year?

To clarify, what is your "ideal/realistic" 1-2 QB punch? You going QB/QB to start? Talk to me

Great topic. My keep-8, 10-team league is going SF for the first time this year. Already have Allen and all the top QBs are already kept.

Thinking Lawrence or Lance for my first pick to pair with Josh.

Thinking Lawrence or Lance for my first pick to pair with Josh.

WOndering if this is the correct play.... Stud QB in rnd 1, Stud rb/wr in rnd 2 and wait til rnd 3 or so to nab a rookie/fresh QB in rnd 3 (maybe 4)... But my gut is telling me these guys might even get nabbed in rnd 2 :puke: 

WOndering if this is the correct play.... Stud QB in rnd 1, Stud rb/wr in rnd 2 and wait til rnd 3 or so to nab a rookie/fresh QB in rnd 3 (maybe 4)... But my gut is telling me these guys might even get nabbed in rnd 2 :puke: 
I guess it depends on whether we're talking redraft/keeper/dynasty. As mentioned, we keep 8 in my league, so it's quasi-dynasty and the rookie QBs will go much earlier than the Bradys, Staffords, Mayfields and Ryans of the world. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Superflex is tough because you truly just don't know what others are thinking in terms of QB and that's what makes it awesome! It was a dynasty startup SF league but I picked 12/12 so I had 12 and 13 and grabbed Dak & Joe Burrow. Almost nobody else grabbed a second QB until round 4. You truly just never know.

Mine is a redraft SF, so it'll be different... Some older studs COULD go later, but even then, I doubt it. To me, that'd make them go earlier. 

I think Im going QB and QB, and leaning towards wanting a mid/late pick each round... Would love a Herbert + Burrow tandem or something to that effect. Just guys who can sling (we give a good amount of bonus pts for 300 passing yds)

12 team redraft SF league here, QRRWWTFS starters.  

If I'm a top 3 pick I'm hoping for Mahomes or Allen, or CMC.  Between 5 and 7 I'd rather grab one of the top 3 or 4 RBs that's slipped bc of those QBs.  Anything later than 7th and I'm taking one of Kyler/Dak/Lamar.  If I don't manage to get one of those 5 in the first round then I'm gunning hard for Russ/Herbert/Rodgers or even Brady before I get out of Round 2.  I hate going into a SF without at least one of the top ~8 QBs, and while I never personally go QB/QB in a SF redraft, I almost always get my second QB in the third or fourth

As someone mentioned up thread the when is totally league dependent.  If your league is QB happy they fly off, if not it's not much different than a 1 QB for the first part of the draft.  

As for who to take, I try and get someone out of my first two tiers and knowing my league helps allow that to happen as I can see a QB run happening and try and be in the top half of each run.  

As someone mentioned up thread the when is totally league dependent.  If your league is QB happy they fly off, if not it's not much different than a 1 QB for the first part of the draft. 
I've never played a sf but I think it would be different than a 1qb even if you weren't going for a stud.  You can generally get a starting qb in the final rounds of a 1qb if you wait on the position, but depending on the size of your sf you may be stuck with just backups by that point, even if qbs are trickling off the  board instead of flowing.

I've never played a sf but I think it would be different than a 1qb even if you weren't going for a stud.  You can generally get a starting qb in the final rounds of a 1qb if you wait on the position, but depending on the size of your sf you may be stuck with just backups by that point, even if qbs are trickling off the  board instead of flowing.
Of course but typically you track players picked and know that you need that position so you draft accordingly.

Gally said:

As for who to take, I try and get someone out of my first two tiers and knowing my league helps allow that to happen as I can see a QB run happening and try and be in the top half of each run.  
This has been my experience as well. The tricky part about the draft is making sure you don’t get completely SOL on the position. Ideally you’re able to take value when it presents itself. 

I won my redraft superflex last year, and I started (from 1.3): Zeke, Tyreek Hill, Nick Chubb, Gurley, Brady, Stefon Diggs. 

In my experience, old, boring QBs fall and rookies fall (to some extent). I also added James Robinson at the tail end of the draft and had enviable RB depth when others were struggling to field a starting RB. My QB2 and QB3 ended up Rivers and someone else pretty awful. Four or five weeks in was able to flip that RB depth for another QB to fill the superflex. 

It’s all league dependent, but in the early rounds I try my best to take value if others are overreacting to the format. Through the first six rounds or so I’d like to have one strong QB, but if I’m loaded everywhere else and start Ben, Darnold, and Jameis at QBs, that can work. 

I like waiting on my QB2 in superflex redraft.  I almost always land a lower-tier guy (think Darnold or the like) that ends up putting nice numbers up.  All the while, I'm loaded at RB/WR.

in my dynasty superflex im sitting pretty with Mahomes and Murray. Drafted Z.Wilson with my 2nd 2nd round pick this year. I need to trade for another starter tho. Had Arodg last year but i couldnt afford him to keep some of my other dudes so let him go for a 2nd round RFA bid. Thats the pick i used to draft Wilson.

in my dynasty superflex im sitting pretty with Mahomes and Murray. Drafted Z.Wilson with my 2nd 2nd round pick this year. I need to trade for another starter tho. Had Arodg last year but i couldnt afford him to keep some of my other dudes so let him go for a 2nd round RFA bid. Thats the pick i used to draft Wilson.
If you have Mahomes,  Murray, and Wilson why do you need to trade for another starter?  That is a perfect trio for a SF.

I have done Superflex for a few years now (and love it). It makes the draft very unpredictable. Every owner comes into the draft with a different strategy. 

I agree with everyone who is saying that you have to see how the first round or two of the draft unfolds.  By the end of the draft I like having 3 QBs   

I personally like to grab one of the top 5 QBs with one of my top 3 picks. Then look to draft my 2nd QB that is ranked somewhere between 12-18. And, I will most often draft a 3rd QB in rounds 12/13 (an upside guy). 

I think Fields is gonna be a late season superflex league winner. Grab him late and be willing to eat a bench spot.

Also have eyes on Stafford. Often discounted, not flashy, and maybe that's changed with moving to LA but I think he's gonna be a steal.

I think Fields is gonna be a late season superflex league winner. Grab him late and be willing to eat a bench spot.

Also have eyes on Stafford. Often discounted, not flashy, and maybe that's changed with moving to LA but I think he's gonna be a steal.
Agree on both…I’d be happy with Stafford  as my 2nd QB

The QB landscape is pretty dicey this year for superflex leagues.  The way I see it, once you get past a QB like Tannehill at around QB10,  you have Hurts who has only done it for 4 or so games..... you have Stafford changing teams, Burrow struggling to come back from his ACL injury,  can Tua improve, Lawrence is a rookie, Ryan lost Julio, Carr is mediocre, Cousins and Mayfield don't have big ceilings.....is father time catching up with Big Ben, do you trust Daniel Jones, Fitz and Darnold are on new teams...Z Wilson is a rookie......when will Wentz return...when will Fields become QB in CHI...when will Lance be the QB in SF.... and who will QB in NE, DEN, NO, and HOU?  There is a lot of question marks past QB10 this year.

So my strategy this year is to try and get 2 top 10 guys, but I would be happy with Stafford as my QB2. 

The QB landscape is pretty dicey this year for superflex leagues.  The way I see it, once you get past a QB like Tannehill at around QB10,  you have Hurts who has only done it for 4 or so games..... you have Stafford changing teams, Burrow struggling to come back from his ACL injury,  can Tua improve, Lawrence is a rookie, Ryan lost Julio, Carr is mediocre, Cousins and Mayfield don't have big ceilings.....is father time catching up with Big Ben, do you trust Daniel Jones, Fitz and Darnold are on new teams...Z Wilson is a rookie......when will Wentz return...when will Fields become QB in CHI...when will Lance be the QB in SF.... and who will QB in NE, DEN, NO, and HOU?  There is a lot of question marks past QB10 this year.

So my strategy this year is to try and get 2 top 10 guys, but I would be happy with Stafford as my QB2. 
It’s certainly less murky for keeper/dynasty leagues  but clear as mud for redraft.

This a great breakdown Illini…i have found that to be competitive in a SuperFlex league you can’t ‘neglect’ the 2nd QB by waiting too long. 
Stafford and  Matt Ryan are two that I wouldn’t mind outside of the top 10. We know that McVay likes his QB throwing the ball, and Atlanta will most likely be playing from behind or in shootouts, which should mean plenty of yards for MattyIce. 
What are your thoughts on Fitzpatrick??

This a great breakdown Illini…i have found that to be competitive in a SuperFlex league you can’t ‘neglect’ the 2nd QB by waiting too long. 
Stafford and  Matt Ryan are two that I wouldn’t mind outside of the top 10. We know that McVay likes his QB throwing the ball, and Atlanta will most likely be playing from behind or in shootouts, which should mean plenty of yards for MattyIce. 
We have all seen who Fitzpatrick is.  He gets hot and cold.  WAS offense should be pretty balanced and their D is good, so I am not convinced that he has huge upside.   I would prefer Fitz as my QB3....hope he gets hot early, and I can deal him.  That said, I would prefer Fields or Lance as my QB3 over Fitzpatrick.

We have all seen who Fitzpatrick is.  He gets hot and cold.  WAS offense should be pretty balanced and their D is good, so I am not convinced that he has huge upside.   I would prefer Fitz as my QB3....hope he gets hot early, and I can deal him.  That said, I would prefer Fields or Lance as my QB3 over Fitzpatrick.
I would love Lance or Fields as my QB3 too…I’m hoping their cost come draft day isn’t too high. 

If I can't get Dak or Kyler + Tannehill I have been shooting for Tannehill + Tua or even punting the position with my QB2 for Lock, Carr, Goff. My point is Tannehill is my target as both my QB1 or QB2 this year. He seems crazy under valued in 2QB

If you have Mahomes,  Murray, and Wilson why do you need to trade for another starter?  That is a perfect trio for a SF.
Well I like to guard against injury with another starter... Plus week 12 Mahomes and Murray have a bye... Its a play all but I just would like the insurance if I can get it

I 100% agree with mistake of grabbing a top QB and then resting on your laurels and waiting too long to take your 2nd.  To me, that seems to diminish the advantage you gained in selecting an early QB, especially considering the potential huge drop off later in the draft.

I 100% agree with mistake of grabbing a top QB and then resting on your laurels and waiting too long to take your 2nd.  To me, that seems to diminish the advantage you gained in selecting an early QB, especially considering the potential huge drop off later in the draft.
How would you rank the rookie QB’s:

Fields, Lawrence, Lance & Wilson

Definitely more nuances this year than what I can remember for 2QB leagues. Although you can't go wrong for picking two top 15 QB's and starting your draft that way in the first 4 rounds, it rarely plays out to plan when the whistle blows. Chances are, one of these rooks, vets on a new team, 2nd year players, etc will outperform and that extra player you took in the earlier rounds may make the difference for you. 

Having Jackson, Carr and maybe Fields, Fitz or a Wentz, but allowing you to pickup a Henderson, Montgomery or the like may be the difference maker. 

Just throwing it out there.  

Not to make too much out of one preseason game, but for redraft, if all guys start as of week 1 I see it as Fields, Lance, Lawrence and Wilson.

Fields has a less desirable supporting cast and coaching staff, but I think he throws the ball more than Lance and will have fewer ups and downs (more sustained drives). Lawrence is probably the safest pick of the bunch IMO but I think Fields and Lance will run more. Wilson is a wild card - just not feeling it yet with him.

Dynasty-wise - not sure yet.

I haven’t put much thought into them yet.  I’m not going to get too excited by Fields first outing versus backups, need to see more.  Want to get a better feel for Lance’s chances for getting on the field, but would definitely jump on him as a third QB and wait for him to become the starter by mid season.  Not really feeling Wilson, but not sure why yet.  As of right now, the first 3 are a toss up for me.

Not to make too much out of one preseason game, but for redraft, if all guys start as of week 1 I see it as Fields, Lance, Lawrence and Wilson.

Fields has a less desirable supporting cast and coaching staff, but I think he throws the ball more than Lance and will have fewer ups and downs (more sustained drives). Lawrence is probably the safest pick of the bunch IMO but I think Fields and Lance will run more. Wilson is a wild card - just not feeling it yet with him.

Dynasty-wise - not sure yet.
The thing we do know is the Lawrence is going to start the season, which does make him the ‘safest’ of the 4. He plays in a terrible defensive division, so he should have the opportunity to put up good numbers. He has a solid receiving corp with Chark, Shinault, and Jones…and throw Etienne into the mix too. 

Fields & Lance have a chance to produce too, because they should start sooner than later. They both can run which helps their cause. 

Agree on Wilson being the wild card…he plays for the Jets. Will they open up the offense and let him play like he did at BYU?

Bumping thread. 

With the preseason now over and we digested everything has there been anything learned in the process in approaching superflex? 

Came out of a 5 year retirement to play with a bunch of co-workers and this was the league format.  12th pick, PPR.

4 QBs off the board when it came to me. Took D. Adams and T. Hill at the first turn.  Ended up with M. Ryan and D. Carr as my QBs. :oldunsure:

RBs, WRs and TEs also get bonus points for long TDs (5 for 40+ and 10 for 50+)  

Users who are viewing this thread