What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I’ve never seen Field of Dreams (1 Viewer)

Have you ever seen field of dreams the movie?

• Yes

Votes: 130 76.9%
  • No

Votes: 39 23.1%

• Total voters

Dan Lambskin

Footballguy
Is that weird?  I’m aware of it and have seen some highlights and I know the famous quotes like “wanna play catch”

I just feel like it’s one of those movies everyone has seen

am I in the minority?

We were just talking about this in the Shining Path League thread. Two of us that have loved or love baseball have never seen it. I haven't, and it's weird that I haven't.

I saw the movie, but had no idea there was a game there tonight.  Is this the first time anyone ever played there?  Are there two fields?  Pretty cool.

never seen it. just never made the effort. if I was surfing the TV and saw that it was on, I might watch it, but don't have much desire to go and seek it out. and I actually do like baseball and do like Kevin Costner.  :shrug:

None of you are missing much. Costner at his most Costner-y (read wooden). It feels way longer than it’s run time. It’s own ghost logic is broken a few times. The corn becomes a continuity error. Either the movie spans one week or the corn is inter dimensional.

I found it a bit too maudlin.  I also could never really wrap my head my head around James Earl Jones’ character being infatuated with an era in baseball when blacks were forbidden from playing.

(The game tonight is pretty cool though.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I got to meet Bill Kinsella at a baseball writers' symposium at Cooperstown in the mid-90s. My final architecture studio in college designed ballparks based on his novel The Iowa Baseball Confederacy and a few of us got to present at the symposium. He said that they changed James Earl Jones' character for the movie because they were concerned JD Salinger would sue them for portraying him as a nice guy.

I've seen it many times but not since my dad died and I don't think I'd enjoy watching it again. 
The last movie I remember watching with my dad (on tv).

He had lost his dad at the age of 2, so anything to do with a parent coming back into a kids life was...emotional. by the "wanna have a catch"  scene, he was absolutely bawling...and so was I.

I couldn't handle watching it again. :(

rip dad.

It was definitely a little hokey and overrated, still not a bad movie by any stretch.  Only saw it once but I do remember liking the Moonlight Graham storyline

Why cast Costner in a baseball movie coming off Crash Davis? It’s not bad but forgettable because of that.

Expected sports nostalgia and got it

Expected Kevin Costner to suck at acting and got it

Expected something more and didn't get it

O ver ra ted

I found it a bit too maudlin.  I also could never really wrap my head my head around James Earl Jones’ character being infatuated with an era in baseball when blacks were forbidden from playing.

(The game tonight is pretty cool though.)
JD Salinger was not just a random character. Kinsella was drawn to him because there is a character in The Catcher In The Rye named Kinsella who would get yelled at in speech class for "digressing", which is what Ray is doing and is the whole point of the novel.

Some of "you people" annoy me. Great movie. 
This. It's not meant to be taken literally and dissected as a sci-fi film. The two themes in it are chasing your dreams (Moonlight Graham, the whole "Build it, they will come") and family ( Ray and his Dad, His BIL the bad guy, daughter chokes on hot dog etc).  Yeah baseball is weaved throughout but it's about more than that.

I joked last night if the concession stand was forbidden from selling hot dogs  🌭

I don’t think it’s weird not having seen it - there are plenty of very popular films I haven’t seen.

Schmaltzy? In some ways, sure. But it’s a terrific and emotional film.

JD Salinger was not just a random character. Kinsella was drawn to him because there is a character in The Catcher In The Rye named Kinsella who would get yelled at in speech class for "digressing", which is what Ray is doing and is the whole point of the novel.
I was just referring to the Terrence Mann character played by James Earl Jones in the movie.  Salinger works better than Mann did, for sure.

I got to meet Bill Kinsella at a baseball writers' symposium at Cooperstown in the mid-90s. My final architecture studio in college designed ballparks based on his novel The Iowa Baseball Confederacy and a few of us got to present at the symposium. He said that they changed James Earl Jones' character for the movie because they were concerned JD Salinger would sue them for portraying him as a nice guy.
I don't understand?  Can you unpack that for me?

I don't understand?  Can you unpack that for me?
James Earl Jones’ character in the book is JD Salinger, author of The Catcher in the Rye and famed recluse. Shortly before the film was made he sued to stop the publication of a biography about him.

James Earl Jones’ character in the book is JD Salinger, author of The Catcher in the Rye and famed recluse. Shortly before the film was made he sued to stop the publication of a biography about him.
I never knew that's who he was.  I thought it was Terrance Mann or something.   Was/is JD Salinger African American?  Never knew that either.  I need to pay more attention apparently.

I never knew that's who he was.  I thought it was Terrance Mann or something.   Was/is JD Salinger African American?  Never knew that either.  I need to pay more attention apparently.
:lmao:

Terrance Mann is fictional character played by Jones in the movie.  The book it's based off Salinger. Salinger threatened to sue if he was mentioned in the movie

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread