What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Happy Left Handers Day! (1 Viewer)

Not sure how commonplace it was at the time, but my maternal grandmother was apparently rapped with a ruler whenever she tried to write left-handed in elementary school.  Later in life she ended up being basically ambidextrous.  Fortunately current lefties seem to live in a more welcoming time.  I do enjoy observing the various different writing styles they come up with to avoid smearing their words.  I had a left-handed boss who turned the paper upside down to write.

Not sure how commonplace it was at the time, but my maternal grandmother was apparently rapped with a ruler whenever she tried to write left-handed in elementary school.  Later in life she ended up being basically ambidextrous.  Fortunately current lefties seem to live in a more welcoming time.  I do enjoy observing the various different writing styles they come up with to avoid smearing their words.  I had a left-handed boss who turned the paper upside down to write.
Wow.  That's extreme and very unfortunate.

I'm 50, and clearly remember my grandmother tying my left hand behind my back as a small child(early/mid 70's for those bad at math).  I also grew up being ambidextrous.

"If the left half of the brain controls the right half of the body,  then only left-handed people are in the right mind".

Besides smearing, I hated those large spiral notebooks that would hurt my wrist. Sometimes, I would write on the back side of the page, so the spiral would be on the right instead of the left. I did have a teacher who would admonish me to write on the front side of the page; apparently, still annoys me 30 years later or whatever.  My school also had those decks that were open on one side (like this) and I'd be lucky if there was a lefty desk in the room; so, my left elbow would just hang off without support while writing. 

(At least I never got the ruler treatment.)

Albert Einstein

Marilyn Monroe

Leonardo da Vinci

Paul McCartney

Robert De Niro

Bob Dylan

Jimi Hendrix

Ludwig van Beethoven

Cole Porter

My husband has the same issue. He wasn't hit with a ruler, but was yelled at and constantly forced to write right handed in 1st and 2nd grade. 

I wouldn't say he is ambidextrous, but he eats with his left and writes with his right. He throws a ball right handed, but swings left handed. It is really weird. 

I write, eat, ad drink right-handed, but throw a baseball/shoot basketball/bowl left-handed. Yet, I play tennis, ping-pong, & darts right-handed.

I was a better hitter in baseball when I hit right-handed, but had more power left-handed. My dad tried to get me to throw right-handed, but settled for just getting me to switch-hit. I kick left-footed, but jump much better off of my right leg.

:loco:

Most of the kids I went to school with who wrote left-handed turned themselves into a pretzel to write. I saw many in elementary school get the ruler treatment mentioned above. But that was 50 years ago.

Most of the kids I went to school with who wrote left-handed turned themselves into a pretzel to write. I saw many in elementary school get the ruler treatment mentioned above. But that was 50 years ago.
I have a good friend from high school who might write the way you describe - wrist bent forward as far as possible so that his hand is to the right of the pen.

I find the sports stuff interesting as well, as I know more than one left-handed person who golfs righty just because those were the clubs they learned on.

Users who are viewing this thread