What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Any more NFL trades likely? Who are the most likely big-name cuts? (1 Viewer)

barackdhouse

Footballguy
I play in a lot of SuperFlex leagues and all offseason I have hoarded a handful of backup QBs here and there in hopes that they might ascend to a starting role. Minshew, Mariota, Heinecke, a few of those. But at this point, outside of injury, is there any NFL team that thinks they need a QB right now? Other than Indy that has said they aren't trading and that Wentz could be available week 1. 

If not at QB, are there any other skill players that people think might get moved through trade or that could be a surprise cut? 

I think the Titans have a WR to trade. Marcus Johnson all but got starters rest only playing a few snaps week 1 of preseason.

Rogers (with them last year on PS) perked up. He looks very good and did ya see that return? When did he do that with the Colts? Fountain of youth? Development? Idk

Reynolds hasn't been Corey Davis' replacement and is losing slot snaps in a big way.

Batson has always been a very quick little bigger and he's still making plays as the 7th? WR.

Westbrook was a good ST guy last year and he's probably one that's cut n picked up right away. That's a role of many teams- develop the WR but okay ST well in the meantime.

Racey backed up two of the best in college and looks very much like an elite talent that lacks experience. Ya can't find 6-5, speed n hands that loves special teams work because that's what he had to do in college.

Dez has been underwhelming and gone from 4th to like 9th on the depth chart. He's got same thing Britt had and DGB and so many- a case of the drops like it's a sickness. He was supposedly a real good pick in the 4th that fell to them. Gotta figure some team will be interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Packers have a WR to trade. Looking at their roster reminds you how many were injured last year AND they added Cobb and Amari. 

Some of the local media have speculated that Sony Michel could be dealt as the Pats appear to have decent depth at RB…James White’s name has come up as a potential surprising cut if they feel comfortable with JJ Taylor…Harry could get traded, if anyone has interest.

In your situation, might it behoove you to stock a bunch of Texans? Seems they would sell in a heartbeat, any and everyone. 

In your situation, might it behoove you to stock a bunch of Texans? Seems they would sell in a heartbeat, any and everyone. 
The Texans are such a trash heap their entire team minus five or so players would be rotational or bench players on other rosters.  There's no upside there.

Edit - looking over their lineup there's Cook, Tunsil, and Cunningham who I'd be comfortable calling NFL caliber starters.   A few fringe no2 types, a handful of rotational linemen, some potential at WR, and a couple ir players I'd throw in the fringe pile if they come back healthy.  This is a terrible team you don't want to touch in fantasy.

I have seen people say Fournette, I have heard Gio. Bucs wouldn't surprise me if they made some kind of move.
Gio makes the most sense to stick. The only RB that can catch and pass block, one of the few glaring needs for this stacked team from last year. Playoff Lenny also likely to be retained and preserved for another Super Bowl run. 

I wouldn't be shocked if David Johnson got traded. People in fantasy football circles wouldn't like it but the Rams would make a lot of sense given their depth chart. Depth wise if Penny has/had a setback I can see SEA having interest. To me it looks like TEN is in a small window to make a SB push and have very little of Henry misses any time. He might be day 1 starter if NY suddenly decides it needs more veteran skill players to help Wilson develop. He would have an outside chance of starting in MIA if they think they are ready to make a playoff run.

- Johnson is a reminder of perhaps the worst move of the last HOU regime, and a contributing factor in getting that group being fired.

- Johnson already had to agree to a contract restructure in March. The only speculated reason that I've seen why Johnson wouldn't get cut is the fact it would count as ~$4-5mil of dead money. Call me a "hater" but I don't think that $4mil in cap space is going to be what keeps HOU out of the Super Bowl. It might not even make it into the top 50 reasons.

- People say that teams reveal what they are really thinking when they spend draft capital or FA spending. The new HOU regime brought in Lindsay, Ingram, and Burkhead. I'm not saying any ONE of these moves is the nail in the coffin, but all three moves certainly makes you wonder how much of a role HOU planned on Johnson having with the team moving forward.

- In recent days David Johnson has spoken to the press about accepting a "reduced role" in the offense.

Other guys I wouldn't be shocked to see moving include: James Robinson(JAX), Swift(DET), Thomas(CAR), Beckham(CLE), Gallup(DAL), Murray(NO), Engram(NYG). Not saying all of these guys are world beaters but they would have fantasy ripple effects on their new team to be sure. Trades are pretty rare in the NFL but some of these are fun to think about.

Other guys I wouldn't be shocked to see moving include: James Robinson(JAX), Swift(DET), Thomas(CAR), Beckham(CLE), Gallup(DAL), Murray(NO), Engram(NYG). Not saying all of these guys are world beaters but they would have fantasy ripple effects on their new team to be sure. Trades are pretty rare in the NFL but some of these are fun to think about.

David Johnson seems like a good call, but although any are possible, I actually would be surprised to see any of these traded, unless there player / team relationship issues that we don't know about.

The only one here that seems to make sense would be OBJ.  Robinson (especially), Swift and Gallup are on very cap friendly deals.  I am not sure where Engram or Latavias Murry would find themselves a roster spot based on age and previous production.  

Gio makes the most sense to stick. The only RB that can catch and pass block, one of the few glaring needs for this stacked team from last year. Playoff Lenny also likely to be retained and preserved for another Super Bowl run. 
I’d see them more likely moving Vaughn since he’s apparently not loved by Arians.  

I don't know how you figure swift makes this list.  Explain?

I don't think anyone would want him.  Perhaps "moving on from" is the more appropriate phrase.
I haven't really followed the situation. All I know is he wants out, and there is probably nobody willing to give up much of anything. Are there any rumblings that he could be released?

Not a big name any more, but Kerryon Johnson was cut by the Eagles.

Now Sanders has to contend with *only* Scott, Gainwell and maybe Howard.

Not a big name any more, but Kerryon Johnson was cut by the Eagles.

Now Sanders has to contend with *only* Scott, Gainwell and maybe Howard.
Gainwell long term.  I wouldn’t doubt he’s the best RB on that team.
I agree. As a Sanders owner, I’m going to do what I can to get Gainwell on my keeper league team. I just hope he doesn’t go off in the next two games and stays a bit under the radar.

I don't know how you figure swift makes this list.  Explain?
I was really surprised that Cambell viewed this situation as more of a "hot hand" RBBC than most had assumed, including myself. Once you get over that shock would it really be shocking if he moved on from a RBBC guy that hasn't been healthy enough to fully participate in a new offense this summer?

“We’re going to use both of those guys, they know that. A guy gets a hot hand, he’s rolling. If Jamaal is in there, we’re rolling. Jamaal is going to be rolling, and we’ll use Swift for other things. Which is fine. That’s a good problem to have. I’m glad we got him, I know that.” For what it's worth, OC Anthony Lynn also said he'd "ride the hot hand at running back" when asked about their roles earlier this spring.

So not only does Cambell have this view, but Lynn seems to share it. Cambell is also a.... "unique" HC in that he seems to preach toughness above all else. The fact that Swift has missed most of training camp with a groin injury likely hasn't distanced himself from the idea that he's sharing time with Williams. The groin injury is a situation to watch if Cambell/Lynn really do just view these two guys as 1a/1b. It's not that difficult to find a replacement RBBC guy any year in FA or the draft. So if they got the right offer and only think Swift is a Jamaal Williams level guy and Swift wasn't available at the start of the season because he had a setback..... who knows?

I'm just basing my opinion on what the HC and OC have publicly said. When it comes to the NFL I'm pretty shocked that any trade happens, but imo there are things lining up that would make this move less than shocking to me. This also has nothing to do with how I talented I think Swift is because thus far I've only seen him rush the ball 114 times. And that was the choice of the coaches that actually pushed to have him on the roster.

The only one here that seems to make sense would be OBJ.  Robinson (especially), Swift and Gallup are on very cap friendly deals.  I am not sure where Engram or Latavias Murry would find themselves a roster spot based on age and previous production.  
Well, it seems to me that Meyer has some pretty strong ideas of how he wants to build HIS roster. He goes out and spends a first rounder on RB(whether you think that is a good idea or not) and signs a veteran RB that he feels very comfortable with from his days at Ohio State. The fantasy community hates a guy like Frank Gore soaking up an unexpected amount of carries but I can absolutely see at least the possibility of that happening making this a full blown RBBC in JAX. Don't get me wrong, Robinson was a great story last season. But at the end of the day Meyer views this team as a complete rebuild and if he thinks he has a RBBC type guy then Robinson is never going to have the value he has right now. If he thought Robinson was going to play anything close to the role he had last season would he bring in both Etienne with a first rounder and Hyde? 

Gallup is on a very cheap deal. Agreed. And there lies the problem. He has a great role in the offense for a guy paid as much as he is right now. How much longer do you think he's going to get paid like that? I'm of the opinion that both Cooper and Lamb are going to be on the roster for a long time so how much is DAL willing to give Gallup as their #3 WR if they have already given Prescott and Zeke giant deals. Keep in mind the reason this team isn't a playoff team is because they have one of the worst defenses in the league. Improving that defense would probably go a lot further toward making the playoffs than keeping one of the best WR#3 in the league, imo.

In both these cases I just think the market may be at its peak for both players and not coincidentally there could be a lot of interest precisely BECAUSE they are both on such inexpensive contracts that a contender could add a cheap immediate contributor. OBJ would probably be the hardest to move because he is so expensive but at this point CLE is so good they have a shot at winning the division and going deep into the playoffs without him. So if he has yet another OBJ moment, he might not be worth the headache anymore based on his actual production with the team and salary.

Whatever happened to the foregone conclusion that Ertz was going to be moved?
I find it fascinating that nobody seems to have much interest in this story at all. Uou look down the list of starting TE's around the NFL and wouldn't Ertz start for more than half the league? 

My only conclusion is the same people deciding on the fair market value for Ertz are determining the fair market value for Ben Simmons.

James Washington from the Steelers. He has requested a trade and has produced when given the opportunity. He would make a nice WR2 or 3 for a numbers of teams.

I find it fascinating that nobody seems to have much interest in this story at all. Uou look down the list of starting TE's around the NFL and wouldn't Ertz start for more than half the league? 

My only conclusion is the same people deciding on the fair market value for Ertz are determining the fair market value for Ben Simmons.
I would imagine most teams would like to have Ertz on their roster.  I don't know that any teams want to spend $8 million + draft capital for him. 

BoltBacker said:

I think everyone was interested when it looked pretty likely he was gonna get dealt before the draft...now that it is 4 months later and he is still with Philly I don't think anyone will be surprised if it happens but it is more of a wake me up when/if it happens now.

jabarony said:
I would imagine most teams would like to have Ertz on their roster.  I don't know that any teams want to spend $8 million + draft capital for him. 
That must be the case, but it's a mistake for a number of teams imo. 

For instance the Jags are $30-35mil under the cap right now. The single most important piece of the future of their franchise is the development of Trevor Lawrence, full stop. But they seem intent on some combination of Manhertz/O'Shaughnessy as their duo at TE? Insert your favorite Tim Tebow joke here. Panthers are $25mil under the cap and happy with Arnold/Thomas who have both been disappointments. Those are the guys to help develop Darnold who just turned 24yo a month or two ago. As I've said in another thread the Jets are $20+mil under the cap and think Herndon/Kroft/Griffin are their best options for 2021. 

It just seems like madness to me that these teams would be so adverse to overpaying Ertz that they would let their young QB go without an extra weapon to make them a better player. It's a little like Butch telling Sundance, "The fall will probably kill you!". If any of those HC's eventually get fired it will be because the QB didn't develop, not because they spent $8mil on Ertz in the rookie year of the QB.

I'd also point out that Ertz demise on the field has been greatly exaggerated. He was hurt and had a terrible last year just like the entire PHI team. Before last season the last time Ertz had fewer than 74 receptions and 816 yards was back in 2014. I'm not sure that the leading TE on the Jags/Panthers/Jets I've listed can even muster half that production this year.

Bald Bull said:
James Washington from the Steelers. He has requested a trade and has produced when given the opportunity. He would make a nice WR2 or 3 for a numbers of teams.
I've always liked James Washington, but I don't see any team in the league where he would be a top-2 WR. Maybe ATL or CHI? Even then he would have to battle to win the job. He would be a great fit with the chargers as a #3 with a good young QB and Williams on an expiring contract. As a Washington fan that's where I would like to see him go.

I've always liked James Washington, but I don't see any team in the league where he would be a top-2 WR. Maybe ATL or CHI? Even then he would have to battle to win the job. He would be a great fit with the chargers as a #3 with a good young QB and Williams on an expiring contract. As a Washington fan that's where I would like to see him go.
I maybe too optimistic on his outlook, but I think he can be useful to another team. 

BoltBacker said:

The Simmons situation is a decent comparison.  It's pretty clear that Howie wanted more than the league was willing to pay for Ertz around the draft, but it was never going to be a pure salary dump.

At this point, I think the Eagles are hoping to repeat the Bradford deal where a contender loses a TE in camp and needs an immediate replacement. If not, Ertz will play out his contract and give Hurts a reliable target this season.  By all accounts Ertz has looked good in camp and does not appear to be causing any problems.  I still think the right move is for the Eagles to trade him for a late round pick and some cap relief, but if it doesn't work out there's not much harm in keeping him around for another year.  

I like James Washington well enough. I think he's a reasonable quality NFL WR3. I'm not sure the Chargers want a guy like him interfering with the development of Josh Palmer and some of their other promising, cheap, young guys they have on the Roster already. They might already be loaded up with options, should they decide to let BMW walk in '22.

Damien Harris, Sony Michel, JJ Taylor, James White, Rhamondre Stevenson.

Pats may need to move on from two of these guys. 

Damien Harris, Sony Michel, JJ Taylor, James White, Rhamondre Stevenson.

Pats may need to move on from two of these guys. 
You may be right about one, but I doubt two unless they think White doesn’t have it anymore. I’d say Harris and Stevenson are safe, perhaps Taylor as well. The other complicating factor is Brandon Bolden, who is still there but (at least in the past) always dresses due to his special teams value.

You may be right about one, but I doubt two unless they think White doesn’t have it anymore. I’d say Harris and Stevenson are safe, perhaps Taylor as well. The other complicating factor is Brandon Bolden, who is still there but (at least in the past) always dresses due to his special teams value.
White seems to be doing better than he was earlier in camp. He didn't mesh with Netwon at all last year. There were whispers he might be a surprise trade or cut. That leaves Taylor, who was getting a fair amount of build up earlier in the off season but not as much lately. He's been the one guy a lot of the media have listed as the odd man out (and then added to the practice squad if they can finagle it). Bolden seemingly is always on the roster bubble and usually makes it for his special teams work.

I know there was speculation that Michel might be on his way out because the team didn't pick up his 5th year option, and then they went and drafted Stevenson. But Michel has been getting just as much work with the first team offense as Harris. Additionally, they have been using him as a receiver and as a receiving back. He's been getting moved around outside, in the slot, in motion, and out of the backfield. It sounds like they are trying to have him fit the Rex Burkhead role. Bottom line, Michel seems to be too important and valuable to give away or trade for peanuts, and we all know RBs get very little back in return. Stevenson seems destined to be the rookie that barely sees any snaps (as is often the case in NE with their rookie backs).

White seems to be doing better than he was earlier in camp. He didn't mesh with Netwon at all last year. There were whispers he might be a surprise trade or cut. That leaves Taylor, who was getting a fair amount of build up earlier in the off season but not as much lately. He's been the one guy a lot of the media have listed as the odd man out (and then added to the practice squad if they can finagle it). Bolden seemingly is always on the roster bubble and usually makes it for his special teams work.

I know there was speculation that Michel might be on his way out because the team didn't pick up his 5th year option, and then they went and drafted Stevenson. But Michel has been getting just as much work with the first team offense as Harris. Additionally, they have been using him as a receiver and as a receiving back. He's been getting moved around outside, in the slot, in motion, and out of the backfield. It sounds like they are trying to have him fit the Rex Burkhead role. Bottom line, Michel seems to be too important and valuable to give away or trade for peanuts, and we all know RBs get very little back in return. Stevenson seems destined to be the rookie that barely sees any snaps (as is often the case in NE with their rookie backs).
I love hate all the Patriots backs. Always have.

Question...where are you hearing/seeing that Michel is being used more as a receiver?

Users who are viewing this thread