What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What animal is this in our house? (1 Viewer)

gianmarco

Footballguy
We just woke up to a sound coming from a wall in our bedroom next to the fireplace. Here's a short clip so you can hear it.

Well, hello there.

What have we got?

Last edited by a moderator:
Kinda sounds like a half-awake drunk smoker trying to find and light a cigarette.

Is it a “real” fireplace with a flue/chimney? Is it capped? Anytime I hear sound and fireplace together I think raccoon.

fireplace is a LOCK for squrrel/raccoon/bird.

go outside and check your chinmey cap (you BETTER have one)... and how/why it got dislodged... then fix it. 

• Smile
Reactions: JAA
Still hearing it. It's 6:30 now. But it's moved to our ceiling in our room.

Real fireplace. Should be capped. We did have a couple significant storms this last week, so possible something happened to it.

fireplace is a LOCK for squrrel/raccoon/bird.

go outside and check your chinmey cap (you BETTER have one)... and how/why it got dislodged... then fix it. 
If you don’t have a chimney cap, my guess would also have been a bird.  But if the sound has moved to the ceiling, then the source did not originate in the fireplace.  Time to explore around the house to find the likely entry point.

• Smile
Yeah, the sound was not IN the fireplace. Just in the wall near it. But it's definitely moved from the wall onto the ceiling in our room. 

It's still pretty active despite it being light outside.

Last edited by a moderator:
it's a squirrel. 

check the vents/vent caps on your roof (we had squirrels gnaw thru it and a family of 5 was living inside our roof). If nothing, look for other entry points along the soffit etc

it's a squirrel. 

check the vents/vent caps on your roof (we had squirrels gnaw thru it and a family of 5 was living inside our roof). If nothing, look for other entry points along the soffit etc
Yep, that's what I'm thinking as well. Have someone coming out in next couple days to help find it and get it taken care of. Will update.

We had a black snake from the river living in our ducts for an unknown amount of time but that sounded more like a dragging sound in retrospect. It probably would eat whatever you got going on in yours. 

Yep, that's what I'm thinking as well. Have someone coming out in next couple days to help find it and get it taken care of. Will update.
We would hear them have full on brawls inside our soffits. Squirrels are absolute savages. 

We had to put a 1-way trap door over the vent that we removed for a day or 2, put on a new vent cap and mission accomplished. 

They almost ALWAYS head out during the day. 

if it is a leprochaun you are going to be rich if you save him so first step is get to the store and buy some lucky charms so that you can really get him on your side take that to the bank bromigo

• Laughing
I'm going with bats as well.  Common in your area.  (If I correctly remember your area.)
Not bats. This thing was crawling around, scratching/gnawing.

Possibly a small raccoon, but unlikely. Or a very large rat, but also unlikely. Squirrel fits time of year, sound, time of day, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread