What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Car warranty scam robocalls (1 Viewer)

Godsbrother

Footballguy
Continually get these.  I guess they must be profitable or they wouldn't be doing them but my question is who are the people foolish enough to sign up for them?   

I always wonder this myself. 

I guess people fall for it, but man....its not even remotely convincing.

Have been getting inundated with these calls for almost a year.  I block everyone yet they just call from a new number.  So nuts. 

it's been a while since the Chinese one... but damn- that was also non-stop, and weird considering it targeting everybody- not just mandarin speakers.

I have never stayed on long enough to even know if it is a scam.  It seems like it though since the majority of calls I receive is on my work cell phone that is not tied to any vehicle in any way.  Very bizarre.  

I lease cars and whenever they call, they bring up the car I had like 2 leases ago. They are pretty bad at their scam. 

Turned off my ringer so it buzzes only, insta ignore if I don't recognize the number. Probably average 2-3 of them a day. I know it's bad to hate people but feel it's probably okay to hate Nazis & these guys. 

My 14-year old (does not own a car, surprisingly) and I both get these calls frequently.  I've tried all of the following:

* Their first step is they ask you to verify your car's make, model, and year, to prove you really are the right person.  I have told them that, yes, they absolutely do need to verify that information so I know they aren't trying to scam me.  My record on this is keeping the person on the line for 4.5 minutes before they got frustrated and hung up.

* I have asked them to please hold while I record the call.  The first time I tried this, the gentleman cursed me out and hung up.

* I have told them I have a 1927 Ford Model T.  The woman eventually told me that my car was too old to be covered under their warranty.

Somehow, none of the above have stopped the calls.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 14-year old (does not own a car, surprisingly) and I both get these calls frequently.  I've tried all of the following:

* Their first step is they ask you to verify your car's make, model, and year, to prove you really are the right person.  I have told them that, yes, they absolutely do need to verify that information so I know they aren't trying to scam me.  My record on this is keeping the person on the line for 4.5 minutes before they got frustrated and hung up.

* I have asked them to please hold while I record the call.  The first time I tried this, the gentleman cursed me out and hung up.

* I have told them I have a 1927 Ford Model T.  The woman eventually told me that my car was too old to be covered under their warranty.

Somehow, none of the above have stopped the calls.

It's not just one group running the scam. 

You answer calls from random numbers?  I never do.  If it is important they will leave a message.

Yeah,  I have an elderly mom and sometimes get calls from local exchanges that could be the nurses, doctors, aides, etc.   I answer them if they're local but typically I get "This is a final notice that your vehicle's warranty is about to expire",  I have had dozens of final warnings...

I answer these when I'm in the mood to mess with them.  I tried to get a quote for a warranty extension for my 1921 Model T and they immediately hung up on me.  Not very polite, those people.  :rant:

Yes. I get 10-20 legit calls a day from a number i don't recognize. Am i supposed to screen all of them so i can avoid the 2-3 scam calls a day? 
The fact that you get that many legit calls every day I think is your bigger problem.   If we can get that down to a couple, I think you can use my method.   

If I answer the phone and it's that type of call usually just put the phone down without hanging up. I figure that's a few seconds that they're not bothering someone else. 

I already don’t answer unknown numbers, especially if they share an area code with my cell number(I live in Florida and my cell has an Indiana area code, so any from the same area code is an immediate red flag), but my IPhone is kind enough to label several as “Scam Likely,” and even block the call automatically. 

I've been without a car since the beginning of the year, don't miss it.
Living in a city where it's easier and faster to just walk everywhere or take the subway, I got rid of my car 15 years ago.  I said that if I need one I can just rent one.  I've rented a car twice in 15 years.  I don't miss it at all either.  Plus, I cut a lot of costs out when getting rid of the car.  I don't miss paying those bills either.

Haven't gotten one of these calls in a long time.  (Now I'll get 5 today).  I think Verizon does a pretty good job of flagging potential spam then it gives you the option to block the number.

It's a bummer if you're someone that has to answer unknown numbers.  I'm sure every time you answer your number gets flagged as "Answers" and the cycle continues.  The person in the cube next to me answers every call and then I hear, "Take me off your list.  Take me off your list please.  Take me off your list."  over and over.  I'm not sure that works anymore.  

This is why when I'm calling contractors, I will even add them as a contact.  Joe - Tree Guy, just so I will answer when they return the call.  
You wont even see (or hear or get notified of) the call if its not a contact. It just goes straight to VM (then you get a notification). If its important/legit and they leave a message, I call them back in 2 minutes. Works great for me, but I dont get many legit calls from unknown numbers.

I get these calls too, sometimes daily.  It's pissing me off but I've reported it here: https://www.donotcall.gov/report.html and nothing ever changes so I don't bother with it anymore.  I'm on the do not call list, but that doesn't stop them.  Maybe it has stopped others, but I'm starting to doubt that.

I got a random text the other night... went something like this:

Them:  Hello, who are you?

Me: Who's asking?

Them: my name is Xiaoya.  nice to meet you!

Me: I'm glad you contacted me, I've been trying to reach you about your vehicles extended warranty

Radio silence...

Google Pixel phones do a really good job of filtering that type of stuff. If one gets through there's a "Screen Call" option where a robot voice talks to them and transcribes it to you to see if you want to pick it up.

Usually the screen call thing just upsets them and they hang up, which makes me happy.

I always wonder this myself. 

I guess people fall for it, but man....its not even remotely convincing.
I remember reading one time about the Nigerian spam emails, and how all the stuff that makes them unconvincing is a feature, not a bug. Someone who is dumb enough to fall for a poorly written, ridiculous email where a stranger promises to give them millions of dollars is self-selecting as an easy mark. If the original message were more convincing, it would catch a bunch of smarter people in its net, and the scammers would have to waste time weeding them out since they're never going to be stupid enough to actually fork over the bank info.

Might be something similar going on here

A buddy of mine had a hand in creating this: https://www.robokiller.com/

It's a paid service (I think around $2 a month) and full disclosure, I've never used it myself; I don't get enough of those calls to justify the expense. But I know it's gotten tons of great reviews and it basically helped launch my friend's career. They even have a fun feature that routes calls to an answer bot and wastes their time.

I have no financial interest in it; my friend doesn't even work there anymore. Just throwing it out there as something some of you may find useful 

RC94 said:
I get these calls too, sometimes daily.  It's pissing me off but I've reported it here: https://www.donotcall.gov/report.html and nothing ever changes so I don't bother with it anymore.  I'm on the do not call list, but that doesn't stop them.  Maybe it has stopped others, but I'm starting to doubt that.
Pretty sure the numbers are generally spoofed. So reporting the number that shows up on your phone really doesn't accomplish anything.

In the Year 2021 somehow the phone companies don't have the ability to instantly turn these numbers off once they are identified as spam. 

We can send Jeff Bezos into space but we just can't master own own 5G Network apparently. Do the telephone lines even exist any more or good old fashioned house phones? I think the cable company will set one up I can plug into the box but that still isn't the phone lines in the walls, it's pure digital I would assume. 

Yeah it comes in waves, this week has been insane for these things.  At least half a dozen.  All from unflagged numbers on Hiya.  

Think I got at least four yesterday. Two with voice mail and four more blocked numbers.
Yeah the frequency has ramped up.   Also all of the ones I get that leave voice mail only leave like 20 seconds from the middle of a recorded message.

Users who are viewing this thread