What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How Will The Pittsburgh WR Shares Go? (1 Viewer)

shadrap

Footballguy
I want some of the Pitt WR core but can't figure out who.  Diantae goes in the early 5th in redraft PPR.  the other two go shortly thereafter.  Seems like Johnson is fragile but fast, Claypool the most talent, & Ju Ju solid & consistent.

not sure how to play this.  

thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m not sure how much Juju I want, at least at the same price as the others. Dionte is a pretty good ppr machine. Claypool is a lower floor, higher ceiling weekly play. Both are good gets as a WR 2/3. 

Their value all depends on if Ben can stay healthy. If so, I think all three can produce, but Johnson will be most consistent. 

Claypool has the most upside so that’s the way I lean. Not many WRs in NFL history have had a rookie year like that. It’s a distinguished list. The low ankle sprain should depress his ADP a bit.

Johnson is going to be a PPR machine, I think he's the one lock for volume of the 3...I've got a lot of shares.

Claypool probably has the most TD upside, but I'm concerned about volume...not ending up on many of my teams.

JuJu is the player I'm avoiding at ADP.  I have zero shares.

Drops! That's the only reason this is even a discussion. Without his "drops" in 2020 DJ kills these other two. If he has overcome this, look for Johnson to be the clear WR1 for PIT in 2021.

Coin flip on the other two.

Just my opinion.

It's Diontae as long as Ben is under center, so the question is how long will Ben be under center. Answer that and you'll know what to do. I'm a little worried about Claypool's wheel though.

It's Diontae as long as Ben is under center, so the question is how long will Ben be under center. Answer that and you'll know what to do. I'm a little worried about Claypool's wheel though.

Who do you choose if Ben isn't under center? 

JJSS?  The slot guy for quick slants and higher percentage of completion probability over passes that are 20+ yards?

I'm just thinking out loud.

Are we dissing JuJu because of the usage, or the skill set?  Granted the YPC was way down, but 97 receptions is nothing to sneeze at.  If the O-line can’t produce a run game again, you might see similar stats this year.

Diontae is the one to have in all formats in my opinion.  Claypool will likely have the highest single game scores but Diontae should get consistent numbers so long as he is healthy and catches the ball(he does have the propensity for drops).  My guess is overall points goes Diontae then Claypool then Juju.  I was surprised when they brought Juju back at any cost.  He is a luxury for this team and I wish they would have spent the money elsewhere.  He is not a player that I am targeting at any point this year.

Who do you choose if Ben isn't under center? 

JJSS?  The slot guy for quick slants and higher percentage of completion probability over passes that are 20+ yards?

I'm just thinking out loud.
Is Haskins or Rudolph the backup? With Rudolph I think your best bet is the high variance Claypool and hope the ankle really is no big deal. He's a bad QB, but has no fear throwing jump balls down field. A hypothetical Rudolph-led offense may be low scoring and inefficient, but those opportunities matter. I have no idea what to expect should Haskins be the guy though.

Are we dissing JuJu because of the usage, or the skill set?  Granted the YPC was way down, but 97 receptions is nothing to sneeze at.  If the O-line can’t produce a run game again, you might see similar stats this year.
 Both, but definitely the usage.  I expect PIT to run the ball a lot more this year and have less 3WR sets, and JuJu likely won't be on the field in 2WR sets.  JuJu resigned with PIT for just one year at 8M.  That speaks volumes to what the other NFL teams think of his skill set.  He's a good WR2 in an offense.  So I don't see the upside.  PIT took Najee Harris in the 1st round, they didn't do that if they aren't going to feature him.

Much rather take Dionte or Claypool, but they also have bust potential.  There is no way all 3 WRs will live up to their ADPs.  Depending on where they go, I am not really looking to roster any of them.

FYI, in the puppy a month ago:

Dionte 5.01

Chase 5.03

JuJu 7.11 (after Jarvis Landry and Curtis Samuel, before Marquise Brown, AB, Fuller, Cooks, Waddle Pittman etc.)

Those seem about right. Comments earlier in the thread sound right to me about PPR vs standard. Obviously JuJu is much more of a PPR guy. If you're a swing for the fences type, I don't think Juju's your guy, even there. 

Boy looking at that draft board now, I'd like a re-do on a few of those picks :)  I loved my draft, now it's looking like I'd need a miracle based on how I've updated my board. 

Both, but definitely the usage.  I expect PIT to run the ball a lot more this year and have less 3WR sets, and JuJu likely won't be on the field in 2WR sets.  JuJu resigned with PIT for just one year at 8M.  That speaks volumes to what the other NFL teams think of his skill set.  He's a good WR2 in an offense.  So I don't see the upside.  PIT took Najee Harris in the 1st round, they didn't do that if they aren't going to feature him.

Much rather take Dionte or Claypool, but they also have bust potential.  There is no way all 3 WRs will live up to their ADPs.  Depending on where they go, I am not really looking to roster any of them.

I don't think this is an accurate statement.  It's far more likely that Juju couldn't find a long-term deal to his liking because of the salary cap going down in an unexpected manner (relative to before the pandemic).  It's no surprise he took a one-year deal rather than locking into a long-term deal with a lower annual salary than he could find on the open market in a year's time.

This receiver group is admittedly difficult to forecast, but the dismissal of Juju is a bit difficult for me to wrap my mind around.  For .5 PPR, he finished as WR18 last year.  He was WR17 in total red zone targets, WR15 (tie with a number of others) for red zone TDs and WR4 (tie) for red zone completions.

In my opinion, the primary "fantasy football" problem with Juju is that he didn't live up to the fantasy community's expectations.  A lot of people forecasted him as a true WR1.  That hasn't happened, so we're all on to the next bright and shiny object even though his '20 season was utterly useful in 10 and 12 team leagues.

Juju spent '20 as ostensibly the #1 receiver for the Steelers and seemed to receive #1 attention from defenses, at least from a few games I watched.  Was there a drop-off from when AB received the #1 treatment?  Yes.

If we all believe that Diontae Johnson is "the guy" among Steelers WR, wouldn't it be logical for real-life NFL defenses to react in the same manner?  If we believe Claypool is this emerging dominant WR, wouldn't we expect real-life NFL defenses to plan accordingly?  In that vacuum, I'm not sure why the assumption would be that Juju is an afterthought.

Users who are viewing this thread