What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Juwan Johnson, NO (1 Viewer)

Might be a commissioner setting, I think I saw the option to edit their position eligibility.

I don't mess with that though, too much work and too much whining from year's past where RBs were listed as WRs and the junk with Taysom Hill listed as a TE at one point I believe.
Right, that's what I was thinking. The problem is I'm the commissioner in that particular league, so if I go in and change it and then pick him up....💣🤣

There was some discussion in the waivers thread and trying to wrap my arms about whether he's worth a speculative pickup to replace Jonnu Smith at my backup TE spot (also own Kittle).

Pros: athletic profile, need for pass catchers in that offense, good red zone target

Cons: sharing time with Trautman, limited snap count/targets (at least in game one)

At the expense of chasing points, sometimes guys emerge from seemingly nowhere, and maybe he's one. Tight ends are always a crapshoot, so maybe worth the upside.

Thoughts on Juwan going forward?
Id rather have Jonnu. He looked awesome

I picked him up everywhere last week and even started him in one place as an Evan Engram replacement, but I wouldn't drop Jonnu or Tonyan for him (yet). I think he's the guy over Trautman in terms of fantasy, but the small snap count is definitely concerning. Will be curious to see how it comes out with a less weird game script.

Also in a CBS league where TEs get a 5 pt bonus at 50 yards but WRs get it at 100. Talked to commish, and since NFL.com, the Saints website, CBS own depth chart, ESPN, the broadcast, and Yahoo all have him as TE I got agreement that if he gets 50 yards he'll get the bonus manually until CBS fixes it. 

Just weird in 2021 that a major fantasy site has these mistakes on it. How does that happen?

Am I crazy to drop tonyan for him

I was trying to draft Juwan Johnson before he was even available in draft queues to be drafted. Feel pretty confident I was on him before anyone else playing fantasy.

Saying that I don't think it's crazy, but I'd not do it either. In the end despite very different styles they profile similar in that I think both are fairly low target/hyper efficient players. Kind of players I like more in best ball formats. But I'm still going to give a little edge to Tonyan in targets and in general if you are a viable TE I just like players who are on the field more.  I expect a lot more snaps for Juwan coming up but even if he grabs the Jared Cook role in this offense, and I think he has/will, that was still only about 30 snaps and 4 targets a game last year.   I kind of feel like Tonyan will be good for something more in the 5 to at best 6 target range, and that uptick will make the difference in him being the better option and more consistent one.

I was trying to draft Juwan Johnson before he was even available in draft queues to be drafted. Feel pretty confident I was on him before anyone else playing fantasy.

Saying that I don't think it's crazy, but I'd not do it either. In the end despite very different styles they profile similar in that I think both are fairly low target/hyper efficient players. Kind of players I like more in best ball formats. But I'm still going to give a little edge to Tonyan in targets and in general if you are a viable TE I just like players who are on the field more.  I expect a lot more snaps for Juwan coming up but even if he grabs the Jared Cook role in this offense, and I think he has/will, that was still only about 30 snaps and 4 targets a game last year.   I kind of feel like Tonyan will be good for something more in the 5 to at best 6 target range, and that uptick will make the difference in him being the better option and more consistent one.
Good thoughts - it's all about volume, which Juwan may not provide unless it's a perfect storm of injuries around him.

Regarding his CBS designation, it gets even weirder. I have 2 leagues with them, one indeed shows him as eligible in both the WR and TE slot. However, the other shows him as only WR eligible. WTH??
Yeah, the CBS Fantasy article on my league page, the weekly waiver wire advice column, with the priority add/drops, has him as the top TE pick and literally reads:

On CBS Sports leagues, Johnson is tight end eligible, but keep an eye on his position designation for the league you use because he might be listed as a wide receiver only. He's playing tight end for the Saints, and he had a strong Week 1 against the Packers with three catches for 21 yards and two touchdowns on three targets. 

He ran 8 routes. How on earth could that production sustain on that level of offensive involvement?

Either he’s a red zone maven the likes of which we’ve not seen in some time, or this isn’t sustainable without a significant increase in routes run. 
Winston only had 24 dropbacks

it was a weird game

Right, that's what I was thinking. The problem is I'm the commissioner in that particular league, so if I go in and change it and then pick him up....💣🤣

Yeah that is messed up. Maybe announce it to the league then allow bidding on him this weekend? Tough spot man.

Yeah, the CBS Fantasy article on my league page, the weekly waiver wire advice column, with the priority add/drops, has him as the top TE pick and literally reads:
Not in mine. But we go by what CBS does by default and is stated in our rules. Such a pain with requests from owners to change position eligibility, I ain't touching that one with a ten foot pole as commish.

Quilman83 said:
Thinking of dropping him because Winston limits his upside in games where opponents put up a decent defense.
Worth a flier but I do believe I am out as well. I'll keep looking for that one breakout TE lol. In one league I have Kelce, in another Gronk, and in this one squat. Too bad Juwan most likely won't pan out. I heard chemistry between him and Winston so I tried it.

This is encouraging...

PUBLISHED MON SEP 20 1:34:42 P.M. ET 2021 

(RotoWire) Johnson caught one of three targets for 23 yards during Sunday's 26-7 loss to Carolina.

Analysis: After seeing 19 percent of the offensive snaps in Week 1, Johnson jumped to 41 percent Sunday while Adam Trautman fell from 82 to 52. While it's possible that game script played a large role in those disparities considering the Saints attempted nearly half as many rushing attempts compared to the season opener, Johnson saw three looks in both games, and it looks like he could have some sort of role in the passing game regardless of the situation. Next up is a Week 3 trip to New England.

I'm holding.  It's not like this dart throw is any worse than the next one at TE.  At least there is upside here if they get their crap together.
Own him in two leagues and considering holding even playing him in one because "It's not like this dart throw is any worse than the next one at TE," Resa.

Saints TE Juwan Johnson caught 2-of-3 targets for 20 yards and a touchdown in New Orleans' Week 4 loss to the Giants. 

The two-catch effort was Johnson's first since Week 1, but he has just 10 total targets through four games in the Saints' low-volume passing attack. He is drawing looks in the red zone but not enough to get him on the TE2 radar. 

Saints extended TE Juwan Johnson with a one-year deal.

Johnson was an exclusive rights free agent, so the Saints essentially exercised a team option to keep the tight end. Johnson had four TDs in 2021, but only managed 21 targets. He will provide the Saints with tight end depth, will help out 2TE sets, and again serve as a red zone weapon.

SOURCE: Nick Underhill on Twitter

Mar 3, 2022, 10:21 AM ET

Anything to see here? Dynasty hold or too much of a longshot? I have him at the end of my bench.

(dynastyleaguefootball) Second-year player Juwan Johnson led all Saints tight ends with 45 snaps.
Analysis: Johnson produced 43 yards on 2-of-5 receiving but the noteworthy stat here is that his snap count shows he is the favored option in the passing game with 33 of his total as a receiver. While his production was lackluster, it bodes well for his future potential should his role remain consistent. He remains unranked on DLF's tight end rankings.

NewOrleans.football's Nick Underhill said TE Juwan Johnson is "pulling ahead" of the team's other tight ends.

And by tight ends, Underhill did not mean Swiss army knife Taysom Hill, who played a mere 16 snaps in Week 1 against the Falcons. Johnson against Atlanta ran a route on 80 percent of the team's drop backs, turning five targets into two catches for 43 yards. He played critical late-game snaps over Nick Vannett and blocking TE Adam Trautman. Johnson profiles as a reasonable pick-up in deeper fantasy formats.
SOURCE: NewOrleans.football
Sep 14, 2022, 11:10 AM ET

Juwan Johnson caught 4-of-7 targets for 40 yards in the Saints' Week 2 loss to the Bucs.

Operating as the Saints' starting tight end, Johnson has six catches on a dozen targets through two weeks. A former college wideout, Johnson could have some juice as a TE2 if he is running receiver routes as a tight end. He is worth an add in deeper leagues heading into his Week 3 matchup with the Panthers.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Juwan Johnson caught 4-of-6 targets for 41 yards in New Orleans' Week 6 loss to Cincinnati.

4/41 at tight end is worthy of a parade these days. Johnson finished second amongst Saints non-RBs in targets, and Adam Trautman missed most of this game with an ankle injury. If the injury continues to hold Trautman out, Johnson may be worth considering as a streamer in Week 7 against the Cardinals.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Juwan Johnson caught 4-of-6 targets for 41 yards in New Orleans' Week 6 loss to Cincinnati.

4/41 at tight end is worthy of a parade these days. Johnson finished second amongst Saints non-RBs in targets, and Adam Trautman missed most of this game with an ankle injury. If the injury continues to hold Trautman out, Johnson may be worth considering as a streamer in Week 7 against the Cardinals.

- NBCSportsEDGE
:yawn: Bye week emergency only

Juwan Johnson caught 5-of-5 targets for 32 yards and two touchdowns in the Saints' Week 7 loss to the Cardinals.​

With Adam Trautman (ankle) sidelined, it was a career effort for Johnson, who entered the evening with just three lifetime scores since arriving as an undrafted rookie in 2020. Johnson made a man miss on his 17-yard scoring grab early in the fourth quarter and caught a back-shoulder fade for TD No. 2 eight minutes later. Awesome stuff for streamers and DFS players, but not something that is going to be sticky going forward. Johnson probably won't crack the top 20 for Week 8 against the Raiders.
Oct 21, 2022, 12:26 AM ET

Years ago I was facing my son and started some unknown TE who was playing on TNF. My son and I sit down to watch and the unknown TE scores 2 TD's in the first quarter, he was livid. I text him today and remind him of that and tell him I'm going to release another one of my unknown TNF TE specials with J. Johnson, did not expect him to hit 2 TD's.

Third year TE who's flashed a few times. I picked him up cheap in my auction last year and been holding to see if he can earn some steady targets.

Years ago I was facing my son and started some unknown TE who was playing on TNF. My son and I sit down to watch and the unknown TE scores 2 TD's in the first quarter, he was livid. I text him today and remind him of that and tell him I'm going to release another one of my unknown TNF TE specials with J. Johnson, did not expect him to hit 2 TD's.
Nostrodmac?

Juwan Johnson (hamstring) is active for Week 8 against the Raiders.​

Johnson came into this one questionable with a hamstring issue but is good to go. He's back on the TE1 fringe with Adam Trautman still out. In addition to Trautman, the Saints also declared WR Michael Thomas, WR Jarvis Landry, DE Carl Granderson, CB Marshon Lattimore, and OG Wyatt Davis inactive.
Oct 30, 2022, 11:33 AM ET

Juwan Johnson caught both of his targets for 42 yards and one touchdown in the Saints' Week 9 loss to the Ravens.​

Johnson was stuck on one catch for one yard until tip-toeing up the right sideline for a 41-yard catch-and-run score late in the fourth quarter. Marcus Peters and Chuck Clark both thought he stepped out of bounds and quit pursuing the tackle. Despite Adam Trautman being back for this one, Johnson ran 29 routes to Trautman's five and remains the tight end to stream in this Saints offense. He's a low-floor option for Week 10 against the Steelers.
Nov 7, 2022, 11:43 PM ET

Juwan Johnson caught 5-of-7 targets for 44 yards and a touchdown in the Saints' Week 10 loss to the Steelers.​

Johnson now have four touchdowns over the Saints' past four games, thanks mostly to garbage time production in the team's down-bad offense. Among the league leaders in tight end pass routes since taking over as New Orleans' primary pass-catching tight end, Johnson is as good a streaming option as you're going to find on your local waiver wire. He's seen at least five targets in three of his past four outings. He'll be a TE2 option in Week 11 against the Rams.
Nov 13, 2022, 4:45 PM ET

Rams are near the top of the league for LEAST amount of FF points yielded to the opposing Tight Ends.
In other words, you can start him but the projection or outcome cannot be done with a lot of confidence or optimism
He's rated at about a TE2 this week on many sites, don't know if they look at those things or due to Bye weeks and limited options, this is what we have to work with.

(fantasypros) Saints TE Juwan Johnson caught three of four targets for 47 yards and a touchdown in Sunday's win over the Rams.
Analysis: For the second week in a row Johnson has found the endzone. His four targets Sunday were also good for the third most on the team. He now has a pretty solid 31-349-5 stat line on the season. He's slowly becoming a must-start at a position of everything but guarantees.

Juwan Johnson (ankle) did not practice Friday.​

He'll likely be a candidate for a rule out on Saturday after not practicing on Thursday or Friday. Johnson's absence would potentially put Adam Trautman into the large pool of streaming tight ends available to fantasy managers this week.
Dec 2, 2022, 3:38 PM ET

Saints TE Juwan Johnson (ankle) is out for Week 13 against the Buccaneers.​

Johnson has served as the primary pass-catching option at the tight end position for the Saints this season, who recently released J.P. Holtz and Nick Vannett. That leaves the team extremely thin heading into Monday night, with only Adam Trautman and Taysom Hill currently listed on their depth chart at the position.
Dec 3, 2022, 3:33 PM ET

Juwan Johnson (ankle) is active for Week 15 against the Falcons.​

As is Adam Trautman (ankle). It gives Andy Dalton more chain-moving/red-zone options. Johnson had been catching 3-5 weekly passes before going down in Week 2, but it is difficult to get excited about his TE2 prospects for the fantasy playoffs.
RELATED:
Dec 18, 2022, 11:31 AM ET

Juwan Johnson (ankle) is active for Week 15 against the Falcons.​

As is Adam Trautman (ankle). It gives Andy Dalton more chain-moving/red-zone options. Johnson had been catching 3-5 weekly passes before going down in Week 2, but it is difficult to get excited about his TE2 prospects for the fantasy playoffs.
RELATED:
Dec 18, 2022, 11:31 AM ET
I really like this kid - I hope he has more opportunity next year. Tough with T.Hill & Troutman there, but Johnson seems to have leapfrogged Troutman at least. He’s listed as TE1 on their depth chart.

Users who are viewing this thread