What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How to handle the change to true position (edge) designations for your league lineup requirements? (1 Viewer)

Gally

Footballguy
In the "Positional Change" thread (MFL - Position Updates Thread) it was mentioned that MFL is likely to change to "true position" designations next year.  Here is what I wrote in that thread:

The biggest item to figure out in my opinion is how will your league handle the "edge" designation?  For example, my league starts two DL (can be DE or DT and we have DT bonus scoring to make them more relevant), 2 LB, 2 DB, and one IDP flex.  My question is should we make edge guys eligible for DL and LB or make a separate position for them in the starting lineup to force everyone to use them?  I want to keep flexibility and allow owners to build how they see fit and not force certain things.  Will allowing an "edge" to be both DL & LB make them too valuable?  They are already valuable due to the scoring system but will this push them over the top?  

As a commish it is tough to bring this to the league because many of the owners will be biased based on their current rosters and want tweaks that benefit their roster (I have a couple owners that are big whiners and always suggest rule changes to benefit their team).  It's something I really have to be leery of and at the same time want to make a choice that is fair across the board and will better the league.  

I assume that 4-3 DE's and 3-4 OLB's will all be changed to an "edge" designation and that is the only players that will be affected.  I don't want to force people to play "edge" (as you can see we are generic with DL and DB to allow owners to build how they want) so I think giving the edge the ability to be either DL or LB may be the way to go.  Any thoughts, plusses, minuses, etc?

I thought a separate thread would be a good idea for general discussion on how to handle this change for your lineup requirements.  Discuss away

Will this be an option, or will this be the default? 

I am thinking this is default, and they are taking it out of Davenport's hands, and using PFF data to set positions, without using an EDGE designation.

Some DE will go to DT, and a lot of LB will go to DE.  Some DE will go to LB.  

Will this be an option, or will this be the default? 

I am thinking this is default, and they are taking it out of Davenport's hands, and using PFF data to set positions, without using an EDGE designation.

Some DE will go to DT, and a lot of LB will go to DE.  Some DE will go to LB.  

What would cause a DE to go to LB?

This tool can be dangerous for my league.  We give premium scoring to DT so converting so many 3-4 DE's to DT will cause a huge advantage situation and could make those guys too powerful.  

Is this a third party tool or an MFL tool?
it appears to be a tool that this dude created:

https://twitter.com/Adamtz/status/1427396893622026240

Looks like they are using PFF data to get their actual spot.  DE playing inside the OT a ton are being called DT.  Khalil Mack is gonna be a DE. Chubb as well.  Etc.  

One could argue that making this announcement for next year is a few months too late, lot of startup IDP leagues already happened, if you KNEW this was gonna happen next year, you might draft differently.  

This is absolutely an opportunity to make moves for players whose value will shoot up next year. 

I have a keeper draft this Sunday, and most owners will not have read Davenport's tweet.  Some late round LBs will become prime DE keepers next year.  

We should make a list....

One could argue that making this announcement for next year is a few months too late, lot of startup IDP leagues already happened, if you KNEW this was gonna happen next year, you might draft differently.  

This is absolutely an opportunity to make moves for players whose value will shoot up next year. 

I have a keeper draft this Sunday, and most owners will not have read Davenport's tweet.  Some late round LBs will become prime DE keepers next year.  

We should make a list....

This list is essentially any 3-4 OLB that gets to the QB.  I know that seems simplistic but it is the basis for the change.  I agree in any balanced or tackle heavy scoring system the opportunity is there to get some really cheap DE after the conversion however I wonder if that just shifts the bar a bit.  There will now be a bunch more useful DE's but there may be so many of similar production they become less important.  

There will definitely be opportunity to capitalize on the change but I am not sure what exactly is the right thing to try and capitalize on.........and I think that will be heavily influenced by your particular scoring system.  

Another question, if they go to an "edge" designation will that mean there will no longer be a "DE" position?  All DE goes to Edge or DT?

Last edited by a moderator:
This list is essentially any 3-4 OLB that gets to the QB.  I know that seems simplistic but it is the basis for the change.  I agree in any balanced or tackle heavy scoring system the opportunity is there to get some really cheap DE after the conversion however I wonder if that just shifts the bar a bit.  There will now be a bunch more useful DE's but there may be so many of similar production they become less important.  

There will definitely be opportunity to capitalize on the change but I am not sure what exactly is the right thing to try and capitalize on.........and I think that will be heavily influenced by your particular scoring system.  
Bingo.  Even if Bosa stays DE there will now be a couple dozen guys that can score within a couple of PPG of him - and they will appear on waivers occasionally now.  I'll be hunting these Von Millers and TJ Watts but won't be paying premiums for them.

I think league lineups will likely change… if you were 3DL, 3LB, 3DB, I could see switching to 2DI, 2ED, 2ILB, 3DB… or some variation like that.

Depending on what leagues decide, that drives the value changes. There will be fewer useful ILBs than there were LBs, but if they get decreased from 3 starters to 2, I think they go down in value on balance.  3-4 DEs that convert to DI would go up massively in value - think of the PIT DEs competing with DTs.

But if your league goes to 1DI, 2ED, 3ILB, 3DB, then 3-down ILBs take all of the value bump.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see this prompt leagues to split out CBs while they’re already reconsidering IDP positions, so there could be a sneaky bump in CB values.

Definitely a great topic. It's one that has me starting a post and scrapping it over and over. There seem to be lots of factors that will contribute to the overall outcome of this change. I can see it being the best thing ever to hit IDP... and I can see it being a huge headache for a net zero result. I'm going to have to take some time and put together what will likely be a stupid-long, TL;DR kind of summary. 

See ya in a few days. lol

As a commish, we always have the MFL rule that positions go by MFL default, no changes, no take back-seys, no mulligans, no grandfathered in. If he changes, he changes. Most of these changes will be net positive tho

Users who are viewing this thread