What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

CV-19/Delta Reality: Son's unvaccinated grandparents are in the emergency room and fighting for their lives. (1 Viewer)

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
He actually looks after 3 of them including his Nana's sister but all 3 are in the 65-70 range, all 3 opted not to get their shots and how they managed to dodge it last year is beyond me. All 3 watch one of those 3-Letter Cable News channels that sits on all day in their living room, I'll let you guess which one it might be. All 3 of them wish to God they had taken the vaccine right about now. 

The CV-19 Thread has a few of these and worse from the start of it however in an effort to minimize the emotions over there, I though it might be a good idea to start one of these and it could turn into a Memorial but I am betting that exists somewhere, I just don't see it right now. 

-1st off, these are not my blood relatives and while I appreciate all good vibrations and prayers, if any of them passes away it will be hardest on my son, it takes on a different arc for me, more just being there to support my son who is slowly starting to come to the realization that he might lose at least one of them, he's 22 and VACCINATED I might add, has been for months. 

-Next, for anyone sitting on the fence and has even a minor underlying health condition, you are not taking things seriously if you don't take advantage of the vaccine. And even if you don't have health problems and seem pretty fit, you could still pose a risk even if you just got sniffles for a day or two, you could pass it and infect a lot of folks who might be bed ridden for 2-3 weeks which is bad enough but then some of those people might get worse and die. Do you want that on your hands or conscience? 

I will certainly update in the coming days and I hope I get to post they came within inches of their lives but pulled thru...however one got rushed into the ER, the next is on a 3-4 hour excursion with her doctor right now and theres not much he can do for her, and the third one has a breathing ventilator at home or something for asthma and is using that as we speak.

Not a single one of them has not openly said they wished they had just gotten the vaccine and not been hard headed and made it a political issue for them. They are all well into their 60s maybe earl 70s, 2 are not in good shape, the other cleans houses a couple times a week so she might pull thru but then again she might not. 

-Some of you are going to see family and loved ones coming up on Labor Day, I have my Son coming the week after that, let's not pretend we are all sheltering in place or living down in a bunker(well maybe some of you are) but the majority of you are good folks who work hard and are just trying to get thru life and the days right now hoping this will end. The last thing you want is holding a funeral for an immediate loved one who their last breaths are going to be in a hospital and you never even get to say a proper good-bye. Please don't let this story happen in your family. It's not fun right now waiting to hear if they might pull thru from all this. 

Last edited by a moderator:
A few days ago they were being pumped full of steroids and one of them was looking better but Nana is on the 3-4 hour doctor visit right now so obviously those steroids didn't do the trick. I'm trying to share information because I think some of you have not had a loved one or family that has been touched by this. It's one thing to test positive, it's another to go thru the blow by blow for 2-3 weeks or hit the emergency room. 

We thought they were taking a turn for the better a couple days ago...well my son did, I have not held out much hope since the time they tested positive and I was informed they couldn't bring themselves to get vaccinated and the reasoning why would only annoy you so lets skip the why and deal with the reality. They brought this on themselves, had they gotten their shots they likely would not be suffering this badly, almost assuredly. 

Grandfather was transported to a bigger hospital from the ER where he originally went, he has been diagnosed with pneumonia and I think you know how that story typically ends. 

No visitors!

I'm so sorry for this and hope for the best, for your son's sake especially.  I'm glad he'll have some time with you soon and that you can be a source of support for him.

sorry about what is going on.  that said, i am tired of unvaccinated people getting covid and then telling the rest of us to get vaccinated.  
I understand Chem. I think it's good for people to hear though. Folks who think they can just tough it out or are above this thing are finding some real challenges and just bringing awareness is really all you can do. 

Nana cried a lot into my son's arms and shoulders the last 24 hours, it has been tearing my son up.

I understand Chem. I think it's good for people to hear though. Folks who think they can just tough it out or are above this thing are finding some real challenges and just bringing awareness is really all you can do. 

Nana cried a lot into my son's arms and shoulders the last 24 hours, it has been tearing my son up.
How are you doing?

Other than getting vaccinated and wearing masks, how can we help?

sorry your kid is going through this- is your step-son vaccinated?

My FIL passed from Covid back in April. He had the opportunity to get the vaccine. Declined. I'm not sure which camp he fell into as far as "same as the flu" or "not enough info yet", but he declined and his family got to watch him die in an emergency room. But not before he had time to say "I wish I had gotten the vaccine."

I fear it won't matter, but share these stories. I know of at least five people who went at got vaccinating after hearing about what happened to him. He was 65 with zero underlying health issues. It can get anybody. 

My FIL passed from Covid back in April. He had the opportunity to get the vaccine. Declined. I'm not sure which camp he fell into as far as "same as the flu" or "not enough info yet", but he declined and his family got to watch him die in an emergency room. But not before he had time to say "I wish I had gotten the vaccine."

I fear it won't matter, but share these stories. I know of at least five people who went at got vaccinating after hearing about what happened to him. He was 65 with zero underlying health issues. It can get anybody. 
God. Sorry, man. 

Indeed and I'm sorry (again) about your FIL. And not addressing this at you Frosty, yours was just the last post and I needed to vent, again. lol

I see these types of stories shared locally almost daily unfortunately, and looking at our hospitalization numbers, I expect the carnage to continue and likely get worse in the coming weeks. I was thinking about this general topic yesterday and I think one thing that *might* be helpful (if anything would, which is questionable) is if they would add to their story what they did or didn't do prior to their infection. Maybe some were being super careful and still got it, but I'd guess that's not the case in the majority of these stories. It's not necessarily, in and of itself, the choice to not get vaccinated that causes problems. It's making that choice then behaving as if life is completely 2019-normal. Interacting with people with no mitigation efforts  or precautions whatsoever. I had this thought as I drove past three or four indoor restaurants yesterday that had completely full parking lots. We have one of the lowest vaccination rates in the state. It's almost like our hospitals aren't at capacity currently (they have been and still are). And honestly at times, I'm thinking to myself, why am I  even bothering to be careful? Am *I* the one that is crazy?? Then I see the reports of the healthy 35 year old woman dead and leaving 2 kids behind, or the child who just lost both parents in the span of a week, or even the 40yo marathon runner who survived but spent weeks on the ventilator and will likely have lasting effects from his bout. I talk to my friends who've worked critical care at the hospitals for most of their lives and they are scared and worried with what they are seeing right now, even after the last year and a half.  So that gives me a reality check and reminds me why I'm being careful. And I have a hard time understanding why everyone else is not. It frustrates the hell out of me and makes me sad for our community.

yeah, nothing against you, but i’ve always been that guy who hates even when people that have overcome addictions become the spokespeople for “don’t do drugs”.  like, “hey i was a meth addict, don’t be one”.  like no duh, that’s why i didn’t become a meth addict. 

disclaimer - i do not mean to offend anyone that has gone thru addiction and i hope the grandparents well.

How are you doing?

Other than getting vaccinated and wearing masks, how can we help?
Just the posts alone are enough. I have been working with my son round the clock helping him make the right decisions like making sure he understood its not selfish to go into work so he can continue to have money to feed himself but when he isn't there it might not be the best idea to go hang out and play video games or whatever with his buddies right now, be there for his family. I am hoping they pull thru, there has been some encouraging signs but we also have been up and down with this for a couple weeks now, I just don't trust they will all make it but I have my fingers crossed and I hope this is just testing my son/my relationship for the inevitable which is one day in the future I am going to have to be there when he is at one of his lowest moments. 

I'm humbled and very blessed that he is turning to my wife and I for help and guidance thru this, truth be told I learn from him the same as he learns from me/us. 

Thank Mrs. R  :thumbup:  

sorry your kid is going through this- is your step-son vaccinated?
My real son, I did not have him in my life until he was going into his Senior Year of school which actually is right around 4 years ago, we were talking a lot until one day my wife simply booked us airline tickets each into Dallas where we hung out for like 4 days and got to know each other better and since then you can't hardly push a piece of paper between the two of us. 

The grandparents on his mother's side(Wicked Witch of the West) ended up raising him and looking after him mostly until I went to get legal parental visitation when he was 13 years old and his mother decided to flee the State of Florida so the grandparents and I have a slight bond because when i moved my son back to Florida after he graduated high school in Texas, I offered my place for him to live but he already had his mind made up he wanted to go home to St Pete where he was born and look after his grandparents since they raised him and instilled good values in him before he ever came to me. 

-I swear @El Floppo we are going to play Tennis one of these days, he played baseball as a kid, think I can show him quickly how to let off some steam. 

yeah, nothing against you, but i’ve always been that guy who hates even when people that have overcome addictions become the spokespeople for “don’t do drugs”.  like, “hey i was a meth addict, don’t be one”.  like no duh, that’s why i didn’t become a meth addict. 

disclaimer - i do not mean to offend anyone that has gone thru addiction and i hope the grandparents well.
You always have been entertaining even when I might have been on the receiving end of the jokes, and I don't disagree with your POV. 

My real son, I did not have him in my life until he was going into his Senior Year of school which actually is right around 4 years ago, we were talking a lot until one day my wife simply booked us airline tickets each into Dallas where we hung out for like 4 days and got to know each other better and since then you can't hardly push a piece of paper between the two of us. 

I'm humbled and very blessed that he is turning to my wife and I for help and guidance thru this, truth be told I learn from him the same as he learns from me/us. 
Obviously, it would be better to never have to go through this experience at all, but I am glad that it seems to be bringing you closer together. I hope that he emerges from this with healthy grandparents AND a strengthened relationship with his dad.

And folks wonder why we are posting these stories? I know I can be a lightning rod on certain issues and over the years I have tried to back off a lot of my arrogant bravado I portray at times but I would hope that because of that I might be able to influence a few folks as well.

I am not telling people they HAVE TO do anything but I do think some of the folks who are saying they are healthy enough to not need the vaccine, they might be comparing themselves to people much heavier...but the avg citizen likely has at last 20-30 lbs they need to lose if they are being honest. I know just a handful of folks that don't have an ounce of fat on their frames or very close to it and I now dine once a week for lunch with 2 of them and believe me even being 6-3, 34-36 inch waist, I am by far a distant 3rd at that table in terms of health and these guys are 55 and the other is almost 60 years old.  

Sorry about your FIL, I can't imagine what that funeral must have been like and the conversations or words that were spoken. I also can only imagine how you react in public when people say or do dumb things. 

Indeed and I'm sorry (again) about your FIL. And not addressing this at you Frosty, yours was just the last post and I needed to vent, again. lol

I see these types of stories shared locally almost daily unfortunately, and looking at our hospitalization numbers, I expect the carnage to continue and likely get worse in the coming weeks. I was thinking about this general topic yesterday and I think one thing that *might* be helpful (if anything would, which is questionable) is if they would add to their story what they did or didn't do prior to their infection. Maybe some were being super careful and still got it, but I'd guess that's not the case in the majority of these stories. It's not necessarily, in and of itself, the choice to not get vaccinated that causes problems. It's making that choice then behaving as if life is completely 2019-normal. Interacting with people with no mitigation efforts  or precautions whatsoever. I had this thought as I drove past three or four indoor restaurants yesterday that had completely full parking lots. We have one of the lowest vaccination rates in the state. It's almost like our hospitals aren't at capacity currently (they have been and still are). And honestly at times, I'm thinking to myself, why am I  even bothering to be careful? Am *I* the one that is crazy?? Then I see the reports of the healthy 35 year old woman dead and leaving 2 kids behind, or the child who just lost both parents in the span of a week, or even the 40yo marathon runner who survived but spent weeks on the ventilator and will likely have lasting effects from his bout. I talk to my friends who've worked critical care at the hospitals for most of their lives and they are scared and worried with what they are seeing right now, even after the last year and a half.  So that gives me a reality check and reminds me why I'm being careful. And I have a hard time understanding why everyone else is not. It frustrates the hell out of me and makes me sad for our community.
:suds:

The grandparents on his mother's side(Wicked Witch of the West) ended up raising him and looking after him mostly until I went to get legal parental visitation when he was 13 years old and his mother decided to flee the State of Florida so the grandparents and I have a slight bond because when i moved my son back to Florida after he graduated high school in Texas, I offered my place for him to live but he already had his mind made up he wanted to go home to St Pete where he was born and look after his grandparents since they raised him and instilled good values in him before he ever came to me. 

-I swear @El Floppo we are going to play Tennis one of these days, he played baseball as a kid, think I can show him quickly how to let off some steam. 
:lol:  I'm still totally confused about whether he's yours by blood/birth/semen/schtupping his mom...but that's sounds irrelevant- sounds like he's your son, regardless.

FL is the place for tennis- and a nice thing for us geezers to be able to keep up with the kids with (unless they- hopefully- get really good). still trying to figure out Floppinha's path- and living in NYC is not a help.

but... is he vaccinated?

It's for those people that doubt the severity of the drug use, or the depravity of addiction. It's meant to be a reporting from the "other side," as it were, to scare one with doubts about how addictive or severe the drug is, and for the user to put into context what he's done against society's mores and folkways, not to feel superior or to be redundant. 

One of the more surprisingly silly things I've ever heard on this board coming from a good poster. 

Man, I'm so sorry to hear. My FIL died from Covid as well last September, and even though he was at times oddly dismissive of the virus -- he told me a few months before he got sick that he wasn't all that worried because, other than his age (71), he had no underlying conditions -- he was also a doctor, and one thing I can tell you with absolute certainty is that if he had lived long enough for the release of the vaccine, he would have been first in line to get it. And when I say first in line, I mean literally. He would have probably found a patient who worked for Pfizer, called in a favor, and then camped out by the manufacturing facility and gotten the first dose as it was loaded onto the truck. Scratch that, he would have gotten doses for himself, his entire staff, and probably a few family members who he added to his staff as "consultants". And he would have had zero patience for people refusing to take it. He had a wonderful bedside manner, but he could be direct when he needed to be, and if he had an anti-vax patient, he would have said something like, "You're overweight, you have diabetes, and this virus will kill you if you don't get the shot ASAP."

I miss him a ton, and even though I try not to let all the anger I had around his death consume me, I can't say I succeed all the time.

How can we help?

-As usual, the gang comes thru with flying colors almost every time.  :thumbup:

Man, I'm so sorry to hear. My FIL died from Covid as well last September, and even though he was at times oddly dismissive of the virus -- he told me a few months before he got sick that he wasn't all that worried because, other than his age (71), he had no underlying conditions -- he was also a doctor, and one thing I can tell you with absolute certainty is that if he had lived long enough for the release of the vaccine, he would have been first in line to get it. And when I say first in line, I mean literally. He would have probably found a patient who worked for Pfizer, called in a favor, and then camped out by the manufacturing facility and gotten the first dose as it was loaded onto the truck. Scratch that, he would have gotten doses for himself, his entire staff, and probably a few family members who he added to his staff as "consultants". And he would have had zero patience for people refusing to take it. He had a wonderful bedside manner, but he could be direct when he needed to be, and if he had an anti-vax patient, he would have said something like, "You're overweight, you have diabetes, and this virus will kill you if you don't get the shot ASAP."

I miss him a ton, and even though I try not to let all the anger I had around his death consume me, I can't say I succeed all the time.
These are comforting although also sad at the same time. 

I wanted to repost this quote, thought it was very on point but difficult to tell so many folks. "You're overweight, you have diabetes, and this virus will kill you if you don't get the shot ASAP.

-As usual, the gang comes thru with flying colors almost every time.  :thumbup:
Sixty percent of the time, we come through every time!

I wanted to repost this quote, thought it was very on point but difficult to tell so many folks. "You're overweight, you have diabetes, and this virus will kill you if you don't get the shot ASAP.
You're definitely right that we have a lot to learn from my FIL. I get as annoyed as anyone with the anti-vaxxers, but I also recognize you need to meet them where they are. And as blunt as he could be, I think his patients always knew it was coming from a place of love. (As my wife once commented to me, you're not going to get very far as a male OB-GYN unless you're skilled at putting women at ease).

And I think we all could do worse than take that approach when we're trying to convince the anti-vaxxers in our lives. It's not "You're an idiot," and it's not "Here are 37 reasons why this is a rational choice," it's "I care about you and I'm worried for you and here's why."

MOP, very sorry for this situation and hoping that everything works out ok. 

I am baffled by why it takes such a personal experience for people to come around on mitigation efforts, especially the vaccine. How many more stories of the unvaccinated showing regret as they lay dying in a hospital do people need to see/hear about? It's heartbreaking and confounding.  

You always have been entertaining even when I might have been on the receiving end of the jokes, and I don't disagree with your POV. 
appreciate it.  i am a straight shooter and that sometimes comes across poorly on a message board.  i also don’t like to type very much and that makes my train of thought seem limited.  also, i don’t care very much about anything either way, so meh.

It's for those people that doubt the severity of the drug use, or the depravity of addiction. It's meant to be a reporting from the "other side," as it were, to scare one with doubts about how addictive or severe the drug is, and for the user to put into context what he's done against society's mores and folkways, not to feel superior or to be redundant. 

One of the more surprisingly silly things I've ever heard on this board coming from a good poster. 
it’s hard to exactly explain thoughts in a post, but only recovering addicts are able to be anti addiction counselors?  

it’s hard to exactly explain thoughts in a post, but only recovering addicts are able to be anti addiction counselors?  
Generally speaking, they've been through the depths of it and understand better the throes within which people find themselves when first coming off addictive behavior. That's why the front line and the proselytizing usually consists of former addicts. The immediate emotional intake and uptake of the newly sober or would-be convert is done by former addicts for the most part, because they can uniquely relate to the mental and physical tribulations of those afflicted. That said, I know that as a recovering addict from almost every chemical substance known to man, I've often thought "When are these people going to fall off?" Because they almost always do. Not being an addict should not disqualify a straight person from being a counselor, but experience is a key component of the drug counselor's job. 

That said, within that community, people are often (almost always, actually) farmed out to straight, licensed counselors and doctors when permanent stability and coping skills are sought. I think you might be unaware of the process that definitely involves people outside of the afflicted community. It's just that what you're seeing on the proselytizing or intake end is all addicts. That's not the case once some time passes. 

MOP, very sorry for this situation and hoping that everything works out ok. 

I am baffled by why it takes such a personal experience for people to come around on mitigation efforts, especially the vaccine. How many more stories of the unvaccinated showing regret as they lay dying in a hospital do people need to see/hear about? It's heartbreaking and confounding.  
Thanks GUP, hope you know this isn't me coming around, I'm simply passing along information as it unfolds and didn't want to gobble up the Year and half long thread going with more general information and thought I could help some of those who have been thru similar and will be going thru similar in not too distant future...unless the game plan changed from last season, it started off hot in the South and spread to the interior pockets over a long time in this country, I expect the Delta to follow similar but maybe a little faster this time. Folks in spots like say Montana might not see a huge spike in their Delta variant for many months and there's a bunch of these states but I expect a spike in spots like OK/OKC in particular. Big cities with larger populations but not near a coastline like we have here in Florida. 

It's summer and people hunker indoors which is making this even worse I would imagine. 

thanks for the feedback.  i thought i had you on ignore……i need to revisit that.

I agree. I think everyone should get vaccinated and that it’s foolish not to. But wearing an N95 around other people, especially indoors, and trying to keep 6+ feet distance is a pretty effective substitute if you’re not going to get vaccinated. It’s not as good as getting vaccinated IMO, but it’s still a decent option. So I just don’t get the folks who refuse to be vaccinated and also refuse to wear masks/distance. Seems like they are all working off of non-Delta data and just want to wish the entire thing away.

I agree. I think everyone should get vaccinated and that it’s foolish not to. But wearing an N95 around other people, especially indoors, and trying to keep 6+ feet distance is a pretty effective substitute if you’re not going to get vaccinated. It’s not as good as getting vaccinated IMO, but it’s still a decent option. So I just don’t get the folks who refuse to be vaccinated and also refuse to wear masks/distance. Seems like they are all working off of non-Delta data and just want to wish the entire thing away.
you know, it’s all the misinformation out there. someone hears from a person in authority that masks don’t work and there you go…..i don’t really know about people.  i can’t figure them out and i stopped trying.  

This sort of thing is happening alot, the best response I can come up with is "I'm sorry for your loss", no reason to dwell on the fact they made a fatal decision.  Humans are really bad at making risk decisions in general, and very vulnerable to propaganda.  

My college roommate and fraternity brother - anti-vaxxer, anti-mask. Got diagnosed with Covid. Was on antibiotics and at home recovering. One night he couldn’t get up off the couch. Wife called 911 and they loaded him into the ambulance. He didn’t make it to the hospital. He leaves behind a wife and three children (two still in high school). Please get vaccinated. 

My college roommate and fraternity brother - anti-vaxxer, anti-mask. Got diagnosed with Covid. Was on antibiotics and at home recovering. One night he couldn’t get up off the couch. Wife called 911 and they loaded him into the ambulance. He didn’t make it to the hospital. He leaves behind a wife and three children (two still in high school). Please get vaccinated. 
awful.  rhetorical question, are people just taking a stance based on their politics, regardless of how they may actually feel?  i.e. was this guy an R and anti stuff because that’s the corporate line, but maybe really wanted to vax.

awful.  rhetorical question, are people just taking a stance based on their politics, regardless of how they may actually feel?  i.e. was this guy an R and anti stuff because that’s the corporate line, but maybe really wanted to vax.
I didn’t talk to him directly about it. We live in different states and I hadn’t seen him in a number of years. But friends who had said he was pretty outspoken on the topic - thought masks were stupid and vaccines unnecessary. 

Ministry of Pain said:
Except that a virus doesn't give a rat's fuzzy posterior about any of that.  You could be in Olympic competitive condition and still die, just like a bunch of other, previously healthy, people.

Except that a virus doesn't give a rat's fuzzy posterior about any of that.  You could be in Olympic competitive condition and still die, just like a bunch of other, previously healthy, people.

While true.  It's like the risk of smoking.  Sure you can get lung cancer and never touch a cigarette but the reality is that if you smoke your chances of getting it are way higher

This is a sad story. But at this point in our nation, anyone that wants the vaccine already has it. Cases where people on their dead bed regret not getting their shots and want to be a cautionary tale for others won't get their wish because it will fall on deaf ears. 

Personally, I know many, many more fat diabetics than I do Olympic-caliber athletes

Users who are viewing this thread