What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Those who work from home.... (1 Viewer)

Manster

Footballguy
I know there's a thread out there and maybe this should just be a post in that thread....or maybe this question is its own thread worthy.....it's prolly not sponge worthy, but I digress..

What do you do for work?  How did choose this line of work?

I'm interested in becoming one of you, but I'm afraid of change🙄.

Seriously though, I'm looking for pointers on a pathway to work remotely.  I'm honestly not looking forward to more schooling, but if I'm motivated enough.....

With COVID, pretty much every industry is wfh.
Yea I hear ya.....my current job is very much not wfh though, and I have not thought about changing professions since, well forever.  Just hoping for some input that could spark my interest.

Yea I hear ya.....my current job is very much not wfh though, and I have not thought about changing professions since, well forever.  Just hoping for some input that could spark my interest.
Is your current job not WFH or is your current profession not WFH?  It would probably help if we knew what your current profession is and what other skills/education you might have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr R does overnight processing for a bank.  Quite a few IT bank jobs can be done from home.  Also, every time I've called Vanguard in the time of the plague, I've gotten people working from home.  

I've worked in healthcare IT since 2007 and I haven't gone in the office 5 days a week since my first job. The best decision I've made was going back to school and getting my CS degree. I was a UPS supervisor before that, a very draining job.

i

I’m with you.  I manage a retail store and my job shifted from being 10% work from home before covid to maybe 15% work from home since covid. A large number of modern day consumers are absolutely terrible to work with.  The amount of disrespect and abuse that customers give myself and my staff is insane.  I wish  I could go to a full work from home model to avoid it.  For example—  I had a customer cuss me out threaten to leave us a bad review after he banged on the door and I politely told him that we couldn’t let him in and assist him an hour before we were open for business. 

I’m with you.  I manage a retail store and my job shifted from being 10% work from home before covid to maybe 15% work from home since covid. A large number of modern day consumers are absolutely terrible to work with.  The amount of disrespect and abuse that customers give myself and my staff is insane.  I wish  I could go to a full work from home model to avoid it.  For example—  I had a customer cuss me out threaten to leave us a bad review after he banged on the door and I politely told him that we couldn’t let him in and assist him an hour before we were open for business. 
I don't know how you do it.

No way I could deal with the public like that. I wouldn’t last 2 days

I work construction. No wfh for me lol

I don't know how you do it.
Honestly—it’s terrible.  I think a lot of people are completely ignorant and tone deaf to the stuff that retail workers/servers/flight attendants/customer service personnel have to deal with.  A lot of people have jobs that protect them from getting spoken to badly  or abused by the people in their workplaces by having HR departments and things like that. If managers or co-workers spoke to employees  the same way that customers are allowed to speak to retail workers—there would be millions of lawsuits daily.  However—we get virtually no protection. We are just supposed to sit there—keep a smile on our face while people treat us like crap—and somehow not take the frustration home with us.  For those people who think that people who deal with the public don’t deserve higher wages—you guys don’t know what you are talking about. 

Honestly—it’s terrible.  I think a lot of people are completely ignorant and tone deaf to the stuff that retail workers/servers/flight attendants/customer service personnel have to deal with.  A lot of people have jobs that protect them from getting spoken to badly  or abused by the people in their workplaces by having HR departments and things like that. If managers or co-workers spoke to people the same way that customers are allowed to speak to retail workers—there would be millions of lawsuits daily.  However—we get virtually no protection. We are just supposed to sit there—keep a smile on our face while people treat us like crap—and somehow not take the frustration home with us.  For those people who think that people who deal with the public don’t deserve higher wages—you guys don’t know what you are talking about. 
I think you would agree there are absolutely terrible customers AND there are also people in service industries that should not be. It doesn't give either side the right to treat the other person like crap. I have seen horrible behavior from both sides.

Is your current job not WFH or is your current profession not WFH?  It would probably help if we knew what your current profession is and what other skills/education you might have.
Medical imaging.....I also do purchasing/shipping and receiving.  I do some stuff in the background for setup of surgeries as well.....ie, implant coordination with vendors.  

I also have BS in Wildlife Science.....ha

I think you would agree there are absolutely terrible customers AND there are also people in service industries that should not be. It doesn't give either side the right to treat the other person like crap. I have seen horrible behavior from both sides.
Yes—but generally speaking companies have an easier time firing bad employees versus “firing” bad customers.   A customer has to generally be egregiously bad before a business goes out of their way to be willing to lose their business. If an employee says one remotely questionable thing to an unruly customer—it’s generally not tolerated  and ends in termination.   There are a lot of people out there that think that workers that deal with the public are just fair game for their abuse and negativity.  It’s really disgusting.  We are just doing our best to make a living and support ourselves and families. We shouldn’t be targets for abuse for when people are having a bad day or week. 

Yes—but generally speaking companies have an easier time firing bad employees versus “firing” bad customers.   A customer has to generally be egregiously bad before a business goes out of their way to be willing to lose their business. If an employee says one remotely questionable thing to an unruly customer—it’s generally not tolerated  and ends in termination.   There are a lot of people out there that think that workers that deal with the public are just fair game for their abuse and negativity.  It’s really disgusting.  We are just doing our best to make a living and support ourselves and families. We shouldn’t be targets for abuse for when people are having a bad day or week. 
And there are also people out there that really hate their jobs and decide to take it out on customers (yes even ones that aren't unruly). I have never "lost it" on a customer service person, server, flight attendant, etc. But, I have had way more than my share of them crapping on me.

Like I said, there are guilty parties on both sides of the transaction.

And there are also people out there that really hate their jobs and decide to take it out on customers (yes even ones that aren't unruly). I have never "lost it" on a customer service person, server, flight attendant, etc. But, I have had way more than my share of them crapping on me.

Like I said, there are guilty parties on both sides of the transaction.
You are making a lot of assumptions. You are acting like you are the barometer of the typical customer.  I’ve worked retail for 29 years all while also being a retail customer for the vast majority of my  existence. I see things from both sides of the counter.  I assure you that the vast majority of incidents where customer service personnel take things out on customers is a result of them being disrespected and abused by customers repeatedly before they lose it.   Sure—there are bad employees in customer service too—but ask anybody nowadays that works with the public and they will all tell you that its an extremely difficult and abusive job.  I assure you that if your co-workers were allowed to talk to you and treat you the way that customers are allowed to talk to us and treat us—that you’d probably have some moments where you felt like you were going to break. I’d bet the number of bad customer service experiences you’ve had over your lifetime is probably about the same number as the average worker that deals with a large volume of the public deals with in a matter of a few weeks.  Anyhow—we can just agree to disagree. 

Controller - flexible hours, well paid, and I am good enough at it that i get my work done in less time than I'm scheduled. 

I work in the office a lot more than home but I have the option. If i had the desk space for multiple monitors I could see a shift though. Especially days when I'm assembling reports that take longer periods of time.

You are making a lot of assumptions. You are acting like you are the barometer of the typical customer.  I’ve worked retail for 29 years all while also being a retail customer for the vast majority of my  existence. I see things from both sides of the counter.  I assure you that the vast majority of incidents where customer service personnel take things out on customers is a result of them being disrespected and abused by customers repeatedly before they lose it.   Sure—there are bad employees in customer service too—but ask anybody nowadays that works with the public and they will all tell you that its an extremely difficult and abusive job.  I assure you that if your co-workers were allowed to talk to you and treat you the way that customers are allowed to talk to us and treat us—that you’d probably have some moments where you felt like you were going to break. I’d bet the number of bad customer service experiences you’ve had over your lifetime is probably about the same number as the average worker that deals with a large volume of the public deals with in a matter of a few weeks.  Anyhow—we can just agree to disagree. 
Regarding the bolded above, doesn't "We shouldn’t be targets for abuse for when people are having a bad day or week." apply here too? 

You are making a lot of assumptions regarding both sides of the situation too. I'm just saying you can't lump all customers in as disrespectful a holes and not all service people are just innocently doing the best job they can.

I'm a gigolo.  Pretty sweet, mostly make my own hours. Have to leave the house occasionally, as sometimes my wife has her bridge club over and I can't host. 

DeVry Technical Institiute used to have an associates program, but I mostly just learned on the streets. PM me if you need a reference. 

Regarding the bolded above, doesn't "We shouldn’t be targets for abuse for when people are having a bad day or week." apply here too? 

You are making a lot of assumptions regarding both sides of the situation too. I'm just saying you can't lump all customers in as disrespectful a holes and not all service people are just innocently doing the best job they can.
I think 99% of people are going to agree that the workers are abused more often than the customers. Does it go both ways at times? Of course it does, people are human. I am all for derailing a thread when necessary, but this seems like an argument just to argue. I think you have both gotten your points across.

Controller - flexible hours, well paid, and I am good enough at it that i get my work done in less time than I'm scheduled. 

I work in the office a lot more than home but I have the option. If i had the desk space for multiple monitors I could see a shift though. Especially days when I'm assembling reports that take longer periods of time.
Check out this monitor:

43" Samsung CJ890

Mr R has to run more than one monitor from home.  This thing is peachy.  It will do the job you want.

I run a graphic design/marketing studio out of my house. Spent 20+ years in advertising and design at a few agencies in NYC and Long Island (where I live). About 10 years ago I started doing side work and that grew to the point where it was making more then my full time work, plus I was up until 2am+ each night moonlighting. 2 1/2 years ago (before covid) I left my day gig and took the freelance full time. I was so happy to have cut the cord when I did when watching all my friends and colleagues deal with the shutdowns. 

I think 99% of people are going to agree that the workers are abused more often than the customers. Does it go both ways at times? Of course it does, people are human. I am all for derailing a thread when necessary, but this seems like an argument just to argue. I think you have both gotten your points across.
Point taken.

Not really.  As a customer, you can walk away from an abusive employee.  The employee has very little power if management won't back him up.  Bullying at its finest.

There are two main factors between the animosity between the customers and workers in the last year+ - places are grossly understaffed,, and some workers who have never worked retail before now dealing with the public.  

The bolded alludes to an important point.  WFH is much, much easier and more attractive if you have a suitable workspace.  When I started working from home half-time a few years ago, one of the first things I did was set up a proper desk with an exact replica of my work environment in the office.  Same monitors, same docking station, etc.

Medical imaging.....I also do purchasing/shipping and receiving.  I do some stuff in the background for setup of surgeries as well.....ie, implant coordination with vendors.  

Sounds like some of that work could be done remotely?  Could you talk to your employer about WFH part-time?

I'm a medical coder, herding cats others refer to as "Doctor." Our team was sent home four years ago. My laptop and extra monitor are still on my dining table. While suboptimal, I rarely do more than three hours of actual work in a day.

I love folks that also have these random degrees that appear to have nothing to do with their jobs

I am in charge of the design and fabrication of exhibits at a children's museum

I have a BA in Sociology. A post bac certificate in sign language interpreting. 2 years of law school. And a masters in public affairs. Go figue how I got to where I am.

And oh, I work from home about 50% of the time. 

Sounds like some of that work could be done remotely?  Could you talk to your employer about WFH part-time?
Yea, I think now would be an optimal time to bring that up. Nobody wants to go through the hassle of trying to hire someone new right now. I think you likely have some leverage here

I'm an IT contractor (full stack Java developer) for the government.  Been working as a programmer back to COBOL/CICS in 1988. Worked as a Java developer since 2001. Was in the financial sector until 2017 when I was deemed too old and expensive. 

Then I switched to a contract to hire job for Navy project onsite at a local base. Most stressful part of day was 45 minute drive. Covid hit and they sent us home. Used the extra time to earn cloud certifications. 

Best part of contracting for the govt is they don't care how old you are because it's hard enough to find a qualified developer willing/able to go through security clearance.  When you combine the clearance with 10+ years experience, CompTIA Security+ cert (valued highly by DoD for some reason) and recently added cloud certs, I can narrow my search to Remote only and still have a number of opportunities.  I recently moved to diff permanently remote job working for DoD that will allow me to use cloud certification. 

You would think......except I also do a lot of on-site maintenance/physical plant kind of stuff.  I work at a place that the longer you stay, the more hats you wear.

I know there's a thread out there and maybe this should just be a post in that thread....or maybe this question is its own thread worthy.....it's prolly not sponge worthy, but I digress..

Seriously though, I'm looking for pointers on a pathway to work remotely.  I'm honestly not looking forward to more schooling, but if I'm motivated enough.....
OK.. I have not read the whole thread so if I am repeating or I missed the target, so be it.

The idea of WFH is based on the company needs, not yours.... Can you access a restricted / secure system and work in a capacity to suit their needs? 

My line of work - Product Stewardship & Regulatory with a focus on Environmental Health & Safety ... what do I actually do?  

I classify hazardous materials for transportation on a global scale.  Dangerous Goods to be specific.  Some schooling helps, but experience is more valuable. 

OK.. I have not read the whole thread so if I am repeating or I missed the target, so be it.

The idea of WFH is based on the company needs, not yours.... Can you access a restricted / secure system and work in a capacity to suit their needs? 

My line of work - Product Stewardship & Regulatory with a focus on Environmental Health & Safety ... what do I actually do?  

I classify hazardous materials for transportation on a global scale.  Dangerous Goods to be specific.  Some schooling helps, but experience is more valuable. 
Cool...

This is the kind of info I'm looking for.  I'm not super techy, but I'm intrigued.  I'm an old(er) dog but I think I can learn new tricks......don't really wanna go back to school but, online stuff, I dunno

I'm a medical coder, herding cats others refer to as "Doctor." Our team was sent home four years ago. My laptop and extra monitor are still on my dining table. While suboptimal, I rarely do more than three hours of actual work in a day.
My son is also a medical coder (about 3 years now). Since last year he's been working from home 4 days a week. On the day he goes in, he's in an offsite office (a different hospital than the one he actually works for).

Yes, he often talks about doctors and PA's who don't seem to accept the fact that how they document impacts how events are coded and therefore what & how the hospital can bill.

Cool...

This is the kind of info I'm looking for.  I'm not super techy, but I'm intrigued.  I'm an old(er) dog but I think I can learn new tricks......don't really wanna go back to school but, online stuff, I dunno
Glad it helps.

RE: Dangerous Goods certifications.... There are multiple online training resources that meet the regulations... 

Affordable" version = HazMat University  ~$550  online & self-paced (covers multi-modal regulations - US Road/Rail, Sea & Air)

Better Resource / Tougher training = DGAC  about $1400  (multi-modal regs also) but scheduled Webinars 

You know when you log on to a financial institute website and apply for a credit card, and it makes the decision of approve or decline in a few microseconds? I'm one of the guys that codes that decisioning agent. I worked from home full time for a few years before COVID even hit. Computer Science degree plus years of experience got me the position. There's really no shortcut to the job, you need the degree (or certifications nowadays) along with some experience. Or, get some sort of internship and impress the folks you work with/for. But coding/programming is definitely a job that is perfectly suited for a WFH environment. In fact, I think it tends to thrive in it.

the moops said:
I love folks that also have these random degrees that appear to have nothing to do with their jobs

I have a BA in Sociology. A post bac certificate in sign language interpreting. 2 years of law school. And a masters in public affairs. Go figue how I got to where I am.

that sounds really cool. As a designer thats done a few trade show type jobs this sounds like a fun niche. 

No way I could deal with the public like that.

When people think of healthcare work, they think maybe the hours suck, requires too much education, blood, poop, death, exposure to disease, etc.  All of these pale in comparison to the fact that most of them have to interact with the public day in and day out.  That's why they are heros to me.

I am a Microsoft 365 support engineer.. Administrator of Exchange, SharePoint, Teams, One Drive...

The last few years I have been automating processes using Power Apps, Power Automate.. Also created a Azure FAQ Bot, and used AI Builder to build a way to process Invoices... Next up is setting up Viva Topics & Viva Learning...

Since it is all "in the cloud", it is perfectly suited for working from home. :thumbup:  

I think this is a fairly obvious tip but when I was interviewing folks for a completely remote position I got the response a few times:

When interviewing for the WFH job of asked about why you're interested in the position make sure your only response isn't "because it's a remote position." I'd recommend not mentioning that and stick to the BS about how you're passionate about the job.

I think this is a fairly obvious tip but when I was interviewing folks for a completely remote position I got the response a few times:

When interviewing for the WFH job of asked about why you're interested in the position make sure your only response isn't "because it's a remote position." I'd recommend not mentioning that and stick to the BS about how you're passionate about the job.
Yea thats a poor interview tactic

the moops said:

📓 ...   

I disagree, in the last year i have seen a major uptick on owners backing their employees and telling customers who question much to go take a hike. I'm not saying its all like this but I am not comfortable registering complaints and spotting out woeful workmanship quite as I have in the past. If they can just get the door open, get out of my way, have at least 75% of what I am looking for physically stocked on the shelves...OK 50% of my needs or services and I can walk out with ApplePay and not have to deal with with much anyone says...I'm like 25% more likely to be a customer at those stores. Low profile, Minimal contact, that's the new American Way!

Users who are viewing this thread