What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

When Is Your Most Important Draft? (1 Viewer)

When Is Your Most Important Draft?

• Already Done (including today)

Votes: 13 14.3%
  • 8/23-8/29

Votes: 25 27.5%
  • 8/30-9/5

Votes: 31 34.1%
  • 9/6 or later

Votes: 22 24.2%

• Total voters
Year 20 of my league…12 person Superflex .5PPR

Made the switch from 1 QB to Superflex 2 years ago. It’s been the best thing for our league! It has made the draft much more fun/unpredictable. 

Year 20 of my league…12 person Superflex .5PPR

Made the switch from 1 QB to Superflex 2 years ago. It’s been the best thing for our league! It has made the draft much more fun/unpredictable. 
Very similar. We are in year 31 (I joined 21 years ago) and we just moved to Superflex for this upcoming season. Really looking forward to different drafting strategies than the same old of just loading up on RBs and WRs.

Draft is Sept 1 - can’t wait.

Last edited by a moderator:
My rookie draft started in June 19th, the auction started July 17th.  Both are slow, with up to 16 hours between picks/pickups.  Just waiting for FA to open first week of September.

Edit - year 14 of the dynasty league

Most important one is a 25 year 12 team. We always draft on the third Friday of August. 
Yeah, the core of my league is 20+ years together. Several flying in from out of state. I took a rare weekend off of work. Saturday draft, Sunday poker game / tourney. Sunday will mostly be spent trashing each other’s teams while we try to get rich $0.25 at a time.  

Game of Skill
The Contest is a game of skill. Winners are determined by the objective criteria set forth below. From all entries received, winners are determined by the individuals who use their skill and knowledge of relevant professional football information and fantasy football rules to accumulate the highest point totals during the Contest according to the official Contest rules.

Entry
The deadline to submit/edit your contest entry is 11:59pm (ET) Wednesday, September 8th.

Very similar. We are in year 31 (I joined 21 years ago) and we just moved to Superflex for this upcoming season. Really looking forward to different drafting strategies than the same old of just loading up on RBs and WRs.

Draft is Sept 1 - can’t wait.
Hopefully you love the Superflex! It has made the draft prep and the draft much more fun…no more PattyM & Kyler getting drafted in round 5 or later. 

Yeah, the core of my league is 20+ years together. Several flying in from out of state. I took a rare weekend off of work. Saturday draft, Sunday poker game / tourney. Sunday will mostly be spent trashing each other’s teams why we try to get rich $0.25 at a time.  
I miss the poker game after the draft that used to happen with the first league I was ever in.  Unfortunately guys grew less interested over the years and it folded.  They also clung to the td heavy scoring of yesteryear for way too long, so I don't mind losing that.

I play for fun. Always. So my most "important" draft is my most fun one. I won't jinx it, but we've pretty much already had it. Slow draft, music selections, FFA. God Bless NV for running it every year. I didn't figure on necessarily making it this year; I wouldn't have missed it for the world in retrospect. So much fun. 

Good peeps, especially. 

10 year old SF, IDP with auction is next weekend! That's always a 4-5hr chuckle fest!  Then I always finish things off with 3 pack in the Draft-a-thon over FFPC. 

Is this not the best time of the year!!! 

Our Home League is entering its 22nd year.  We draft on the Tuesday night before the Thursday opener, so the 7th this year.  Not sure why leagues draft much earlier, so much can change. Last year James Robinson was drafted because he was the starter, a few years back James Conner was drafted late when Bell was holding out. Otherwise those players might end up undrafted!!

We are very traditional, no superflex. Those leagues tend to be too highly dominated by one position (QB).

We are PPR so the WR is almost always the most influential in deciding the league winner. Last year it was the guy with Adams, Nuke, and Jefferson. His starting RB was a round 7 pick.
We’re PPR too, but also a deep keeper league, so the talent is pretty dispersed. RB strength tends to win out in the end.  

Yeah, the core of my league is 20+ years together. Several flying in from out of state. I took a rare weekend off of work. Saturday draft, Sunday poker game / tourney. Sunday will mostly be spent trashing each other’s teams while we try to get rich $0.25 at a time.  
Pretty much what we do. This is our 25th year. We have people fly in from out of town and all gather at one guy’s house starting Friday. We feast (I’m smoking a pork butt, we’ll have home made pizza and wings too) all weekend, play poker, drink our asses off, and have two different drafts with our main one being Saturday evening.

It’s my favorite weekend of the year.

26 year redraft half-ppr work league.  We pick the latest draft date we can (9/6 this year) since we have some classic, long time, "just-printed-a-cheatsheet-the-day-of" kind of old school dudes. Super entertaining, trash-talk -filled draft. Usually held at a local bar or restaurant back room, but last year's draft and this year's will be virtual. Can’t wait til we can all be in the same room to draft again but, besides COVID, a few of the guys are working out of LA now so this will likely remain a virtual draft for a while. 

Good luck! Please post the first 17 rounds here. :D  
Would be useless to everyone since it’s a keeper league with a fairly unique keeper system. Makes it a bit tough to prep for, but using the Draft Dominator to run Mock drafts is great other than it’s REALLY sure guys should take certain players in the 1st round when I am 75% sure they’ll be taking RBs. Do a lot of resetting the draft to a certain position trying to force DD to take a different player. Pretty good indication though if just how much guys in my league overvalue RBs. Problem is they overvalue them so much it actually forces everyone else to overvalue them or you lose out completely.

We always do our live drafts (2 leagues) within a couple days of first game.  So far, one league is set for Labor day evening and the other will be either Tues or Wed.  All the guys in both leagues like to wait to see how preseason plays out, especially for injuries.....and now with covid, I think it's even more important to wait.

Pretty much what we do. This is our 25th year. We have people fly in from out of town and all gather at one guy’s house starting Friday. We feast (I’m smoking a pork butt, we’ll have home made pizza and wings too) all weekend, play poker, drink our asses off, and have two different drafts with our main one being Saturday evening.

This is what it's all about!

Both my leagues started in the 90's.  My bro in law has been in both for prolly half their existence.  I've been in both for like 7-8 years now.....we are the young pups...ha!

Live drafts at our local watering hole where they set aside a table for us......eclectic rules, and people.....I love it, and would never go back to playing FF with randos......in fact, if these leagues ever cease to exist, I would look for another local, or just not do FF anymore.

I used to BBQ as well, but 6 years back we had a league member drop out & his replacement owns a pizza joint. 

So now he brings a keg of beer & 5 take & bake pizzas. And I’m off the hook for BBQ-ing. 

Our "biggest league"  I started roughly 7 years ago (though many of us played in several different similar setups years prior) and we have our draft on September the 2nd.

My "2nd important league" I started with a lifelong friend in 2011.  Sadly he passed away unexpectedly several years ago, so I named the league in his honor the following year and its stayed as such. I don't plan on changing it any time soon either. That league is Tuesday August the 31st.  Always tough starting this league after the loss of my buddy.  Ironically, he won money in a Super Bowl pool that year, and he passed away before he could pick it up. So many in our poker group took up a collection, and we combined that with the money he won in the pool and forwarded it to his mother after her loss.  Its tough to think about every year.

I'm usually in an assortment of other $100-$200 per team leagues as well every season, (of various settings and scoring)  but those don't mean as much to me.

Looking forward to my 1st draft scheduled on the 31st.

:football:

My motto is “don’t drink and draft”. But afterwards, bombs away…
His philosophy is to bring the highest ABV keg he can find so he can gain a tactical advantage. 

I counter this by sipping my first 2 pints & alternating with soft drinks until at least round 20. It’s 27 round IDP, so the last 9 rounds are rarely prolific.!

Always the last Sunday in August at Noon.  Going on 21 years now.  People know to keep their calendars open that day, it doesn't clog up Labor Day weekend, and most of the preseason games are done by then.  

33rd year. Tuesday September 7th.

For the first 15 or so years, we did it on the Saturday of Labor Day Weekend. One of the team owners owned a bar and would set us up nicely. Then, as families started happening, trying to get us all at the same time on a weekend became tough so we moved to a weeknight before the opening Thursday game. We still do it in a sports bar, but the guy who owned one isn't in the league anymore. 

Users who are viewing this thread