What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Ja'Marr Chase, CIN (1 Viewer)

I agree with everything after the bolded, but I'm not following that at all. Mind unpacking it?
Assuming we are talking about the elite guys, the RBs and WRs tend to get playing opportunity quickly. Once a RB has a job, they are going to get touches. A WR can be on the field and for multiple reasons still not get many receptions. A RB doesn't even have to be that good to just end up in a spot where they are getting 14 carries and 4 catches a game and are really valuable. A WR actually needs to really play well on top of that. It just seems easier to get a RB hit when we are talking about the top end players. 

Assuming we are talking about the elite guys, the RBs and WRs tend to get playing opportunity quickly. Once a RB has a job, they are going to get touches. A WR can be on the field and for multiple reasons still not get many receptions. A RB doesn't even have to be that good to just end up in a spot where they are getting 14 carries and 4 catches a game and are really valuable. A WR actually needs to really play well on top of that. It just seems easier to get a RB hit when we are talking about the top end players. 
Okay, I agree with that if the subject is the top tier. And I think that's what those at the top of this draft need to ask themselves. Is ETN one of those guys? Cause if he is then there's a good argument to pick him over Chase (and Pitts). If he is in the next tier then that's where I think RB need based drafting is a mistake. 

Okay, I agree with that if the subject is the top tier. And I think that's what those at the top of this draft need to ask themselves. Is ETN one of those guys? Cause if he is then there's a good argument to pick him over Chase (and Pitts). If he is in the next tier then that's where I think RB need based drafting is a mistake. 
To me, ETN and Harris are pretty flawless prospects outside of being a little older than we would prefer. 

I get what everyone is saying but it seems to be like RBs retain value better than WRs and provide a much lower bar for a hit. There's so many WRs who we can expect to be startable next year and give us a solid floor with nice upside. That RB list thins out really quickly and any RB who is getting regular touches becomes a hot commodity.
I can't vouch for whether this is true or not, but at this source it says that last year there were 75 different receivers that posted at least one WR1 fantasy week in PPR and 129 receivers posted at least one WR3 week. In 2019 it was 76 and 134. The position is incredibly deep. I've been banging this drum hard but 75 is a much bigger number than I would have expected. Yes it is in a T Marshall write up but the stat is in the first paragraph.

https://dynastyleaguefootball.com/2021/04/20/2021-nfl-draft-prospect-terrace-marshall-wr-lsu/#comment-502295

I can't vouch for whether this is true or not, but at this source it says that last year there were 75 different receivers that posted at least one WR1 fantasy week in PPR and 129 receivers posted at least one WR3 week. In 2019 it was 76 and 134. The position is incredibly deep. I've been banging this drum hard but 75 is a much bigger number than I would have expected. Yes it is in a T Marshall write up but the stat is in the first paragraph.

https://dynastyleaguefootball.com/2021/04/20/2021-nfl-draft-prospect-terrace-marshall-wr-lsu/#comment-502295
I don't necessarily disagree with the idea that the position is deep but I don't think this is a good measuring stick.  There are lots of WR's that will put up one or two big weeks over the course of a year because they score a long TD.  That doesn't make them startable.

LSU's Ja'Marr Chase is the first unanimous top wide receiver prospect in Bob McGinn's poll of draft evaluators since Calvin Johnson in 2007. 

Kyle Pitts, to no one's surprise, was the unanimous top tight end prospect in McGinn's polling of longtime NFL Draft evaluators. No one since Megatron -- when he was coming out of Georgia Tech -- has been the unanimous No. 1 wideout, and only one receiver -- Michael Crabtree -- has come within one vote of being unanimous. “Chase is one of the best wide receivers in the last 10 years,” a longtime NFL scout told McGinn, who's written an NFL Draft series for 37 years. “He’s as strong as one of those big tight ends. He just goes and takes the ball away. He can take an underneath ball and go 80 yards. He can just run right by you and catch it 60 yards downfield. He’s built like a fullback almost, but can run like a wide receiver. He’s as good as it gets.” One longtime scout described Chase as a “modern-day Sterling Sharpe." Evaluators who participated in the poll portrayed Chase -- who scored a whopping 20 touchdowns as a sophomore in 2019 -- as a can't-miss prospect. NBC Sports Edge's John Daigle projects Chase to the Bengals with the fifth pick in the draft. 
https://theathletic.com/2530958/2021/04/21/ranking-top-wide-receivers-tight-ends-in-2021-nfl-draft-bob-mcginns-draft-grades-are-in/

I don't have 1.01 anywhere, but I expect him to be available to me in my 0.5/1/1.5 PPR league at 1.03.

And likely available at 1.06 in my superflex league.

So, in PPR start 1qb leagues, how many of you are favoring Chase 1.01?
I learned after AJ Brown not to let a “bad” landing spot influence me too much when I loved the talent - but I’d hate it if Chase lands in Miami, Carolina or Detroit - which are all in prime position to draft him.

Cinncy wouldn’t be a bad spot despite Higgins and Boyd being there already but I suspect they’ll grab Sewell.

It also depends on where the RBs land, as RBs are just more valuable in most leagues due to scarcity - but with all of this said Chase probably deserves to be the 1.01.

What about non-ppr? With multiple picks in the first, and considering the depth at WR, I'm struggling to decide who to take at 1.1. 

If I take Chase, I run the risk of missing out on one of the top 3 RBs. But if I go RB first, there are a lot of good WRs to take later. But Chase seems too good to pass up... :loco:

Last edited by a moderator:
I learned after AJ Brown not to let a “bad” landing spot influence me too much when I loved the talent - but I’d hate it if Chase lands in Miami, Carolina or Detroit - which are all in prime position to draft him.

Cinncy wouldn’t be a bad spot despite Higgins and Boyd being there already but I suspect they’ll grab Sewell.

It also depends on where the RBs land, as RBs are just more valuable in most leagues due to scarcity - but with all of this said Chase probably deserves to be the 1.01.
I think Harris and Etienne are talented enough that if they land on a good offensive team where they are going to get lots of opportunities that you still have to consider them before Chase given RB scarcity and the flood of WR talent in the league. While I think Chase is much more talented than Corey Davis was coming in, I am definitely getting a Corey Davis getting drafted ahead of all the RB’s like Fournette, CMC, Mixon, Dalvin, etc. vibe from all this talk.

Anyone care to throw out your projections for Mr. Chase year one? Could he flirt with or surpass what we saw Jefferson do last year? 

1 QB non-ppr dynasty league -- my current roster is solid at WR, and suspect at RB.  RBs are hard to come by, and WR depth (both existing, and in this draft) seems deeper than ever before.  I have the 1.1, 1.7, 2.3.

Right now, I'm taking Chase 1.1

The only thing Najee/ETN/Williams have over Chase right now (and its a biggie) is RB scarcity.

I've been down this road before.  Took McGahee AND Onterrio Smith, passing on Andre Johnson.  Took Mark Ingram, passing on AJ Green and Julio Jones.  Both times due to RB supply/demand.

Chase to me is clearly a better WR than Najee/ETN/Williams are RBs.

Yes, I'll probably end up taking another WR at 7 depending how the draft falls.  So be it.  (although my QB depth is non-existent, so Trevor is an option for me there).

1 QB non-ppr dynasty league -- my current roster is solid at WR, and suspect at RB.  RBs are hard to come by, and WR depth (both existing, and in this draft) seems deeper than ever before.  I have the 1.1, 1.7, 2.3.

Right now, I'm taking Chase 1.1

The only thing Najee/ETN/Williams have over Chase right now (and its a biggie) is RB scarcity.

I've been down this road before.  Took McGahee AND Onterrio Smith, passing on Andre Johnson.  Took Mark Ingram, passing on AJ Green and Julio Jones.  Both times due to RB supply/demand.

Chase to me is clearly a better WR than Najee/ETN/Williams are RBs.

Yes, I'll probably end up taking another WR at 7 depending how the draft falls.  So be it.  (although my QB depth is non-existent, so Trevor is an option for me there).
Don't see any problems with that logic. RB's are a lot riskier than other positions in dynasty.

I'd make an argument for Pitts at 1.1, if he ends up in Cinci. But the case is there for Chase too, especially if he goes to Detroit, or Miami, where he'd probably instantly be the #1.

Yeah I'm trying to resist letting Pitts into my thought process for #1 overall.  Seems very high risk / somewhat high reward.  But, we don't draft until NFL kickoff week, so who knows what I will be thinking by then.

The other thought I meant to include in my post...I'd rather take what I consider the safer bet to be a valuable asset (Chase)...and if I get to the point where I need to acquire a RB in a push for playoffs/title, then overpay a bit in a trade.

I actually think fantasy wise, Detroit is a beautiful landing spot. I know the offense won't be explosive year 1 and they will probably be slower paced, lean on the run to hide the awful defense. However, the defense is bad which means they will need to throw. I would guess around 500 times at least. Chase could very likely be the top target. I know we all think Goff was kind of overrated but he's an average NFL QB and plenty capable of supporting a top 20 WR. 

I actually think fantasy wise, Detroit is a beautiful landing spot. I know the offense won't be explosive year 1 and they will probably be slower paced, lean on the run to hide the awful defense. However, the defense is bad which means they will need to throw. I would guess around 500 times at least. Chase could very likely be the top target. I know we all think Goff was kind of overrated but he's an average NFL QB and plenty capable of supporting a top 20 WR. 
Yes he would surely see volume there. Goff was able to produce fantasy relevant WRs but I’m not sure he wasn’t just a product of that offense. I will back down a little from my stance on Detroit though.

Yes he would surely see volume there. Goff was able to produce fantasy relevant WRs but I’m not sure he wasn’t just a product of that offense. I will back down a little from my stance on Detroit though.
I do think Goff benefited a lot from a well constructed and well ran offense but I think he has shown enough to be considered a middle of the road NFL QB. Like he is capable of completing passes and running an offense. There are often a few teams each year that get totally handcuffed because they have Haskins, Alex Smith, 2020 Carson Wentz, Trubisky level QB play where they just don't belong on the field and completely ruin a passing offense. Goff isn't that. 

cloppbeast said:
Nah, im thinking whatever Devante Parker would have done if he was a little bit faster.
And healthy....  but the key IMO is where he lands and the Def talent (will they be playing catch up every 2nd half and throw tons for garbage time points).  

cloppbeast said:
Nah, im thinking whatever Devante Parker would have done if he was a little bit faster.
Do you mean 2019-2020 Parker or rookie Parker? Big difference. 

Anyone care to throw out your projections for Mr. Chase year one? Could he flirt with or surpass what we saw Jefferson do last year? 
Since Jefferson had a season that no other rookie WR has ever had (in regards to yards) I think it's a safe bet that Chase will not surpass what Jefferson did last year.  

Projections are heavily dependent upon landing spot but I don't think 1100 yds, 85 receptions, and 8 TD's is out of the question.

I'll paddle the left side of that boat.  Sitting with the 1.03 and just hoping it goes Harris/ETN in front of me.  If Chase is gone my backup plan is to trade down, if I can't make it work then Pitts it is. 
We are in identical situations. How far are you willing to trade down? I’m thinking 1.06 or 1.07.

We are in identical situations. How far are you willing to trade down? I’m thinking 1.06 or 1.07.
I know in my league the guy sitting at 1.05 is dead set on Pitts, with WR as his backup plan and he has no interest in moving up.    So if Chase is gone I'm probably looking at offering my 1.03 to the 1.06 or 1.07 owner like you said.  Hoping I can slide back and pick up a 2022 first for my troubles.  My fear is that the best offer I get in the moment is 1.07 + 2.07.  I'd probably be willing to drop to 1.08 at the very lowest, but it'd have to include next year's first plus something else. 

Edit:  I forgot my own plans.  If Chase goes 1 or 2, then the very first thing I'm doing is offering my 1.03 straight up for Adams to the rebuilding owner picking 2nd.  If that's a no, then I'll try and slide back per the above. 

JA'MARR CHASE WR, LSU TIGERS

Pro Football Network's Tony Pauline reports that the Cincinnati Bengals are seriously considering using the No. 5 pick on a wide receiver in part to stick it to former star WR AJ Green.

If you've been scratching your head as to why Cincinnati has so often been projected in mocks to take Chase or Kyle Pitts at No. 5.-- rather than the obvious pick of T Penei Sewell -- this rather bonkers rumor might explain it. Pauline's source close to the team told the analyst that, "They got a [darned] good receiver in Tee Higgins last year, and they must protect [Joe] Burrow. But the way they see it is the team lost A.J. Green, and after what turned into a contentious relationship, the priority of many in the front office is to replace Green with another receiver and stick it to him." While a spite pick of Ja'Marr Chase over Penei Sewell would make for a fun CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM episode, it's logic like this that keeps bad teams bad. The Bengals have won all of 19 games over the past four seasons.

SOURCE: Pro Football Network

Apr 27, 2021, 12:14 PM ET

Edit:  I forgot my own plans.  If Chase goes 1 or 2, then the very first thing I'm doing is offering my 1.03 straight up for Adams to the rebuilding owner picking 2nd.  If that's a no, then I'll try and slide back per the above. 
You should be magnanimous and offer both 1.03 and 2.03 for Adams.

JA'MARR CHASE WR, LSU TIGERS

Pro Football Network's Tony Pauline reports that the Cincinnati Bengals are seriously considering using the No. 5 pick on a wide receiver in part to stick it to former star WR AJ Green.
Daddy, why do some teams stay bad all the time?...

The logic doesn't even make sense, sticking it to him would not be paying him $18M on a franchise tag last year when he clearly wasn't himself anymore. How is drafting a replacement WR after he's already left sticking it to him?  :crazy:

Bengals selected WR Ja'Marr Chase with the No. 5 overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft.

Chase (6'3/201) produced 84/1,780/20 and 21.2 yards per catch as a 19-year-old sophomore in a receiving corps that featured Vikings first-rounder Justin Jefferson and 2020 classmate Terrace Marshall. The 2019 Biletnikoff Award winner as the nation's top wide receiver, Chase also finished with an FBS-high in broken tackles (23) at his position and the most deep catches (24) Pro Football Focus has charted in any collegiate season. His performances against first-round CBs Trevon Diggs (6/140/1) and A.J. Terrell (9/221/2) in 2019 is the only resume he needs at the the next level. Turning heads as the first wide receiver to break 4.0 seconds in the short shuttle since 2015 (Amari Cooper, 3.98 seconds) during LSU's pro day, Chase is clearly an elite athlete who didn't miss a beat in opting out last year. Chase emerging as the Bengals' No. 1 receiver this season is certainly within his range of outcomes. His addition to the team's receiver group is a hit to Tee Higgins' fantasy prospects, though the Bengals have 104 targets vacated thanks to A.J. Green's departure to Arizona.

- Rotoworld
Thread rename time!

I agree addressing the offensive line is their biggest need.

The Bengals are not a team I expect to do what makes sense though.
Good call, I was wrong and Cinci did take Chase. Not loving the landing spot as much as others would have been with Higgins and Boyd but AJG was a stud for years here, so should be Chase.

It was telling when Higgins was untouchable in my dynasty leagues in January to March and he suddenly started getting shopped around by his owners a few weeks ago.

Yeah, bit of a blow to Higgins owners, drafting Chase. Will be interesting to see how the targets are shared out between Chase, Higgins and Boyd next season. Could be like Pittsburgh this season where Juju, Johnson and Claypool were all fantasy starters, but none really cemented a WR1 role. 

Long-term you have to think Chase emerges as the leader of group though.

MUCH happier that he landed there than with Tua in Miami.  AJG leaving frees up 100+ targets from last year, and as @massraider said getting Burrow for what should be the bulk if not all of his career could be a perfect match

Users who are viewing this thread