What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Ja'Marr Chase, CIN (2 Viewers)

All aboard. Took him, RB scarcity be darned, at the 1.01. I won't crap the thread, but just wanted to type that. Back to the news and evaluation.

Waldman compared him to Roddy White, which is pretty lofty. Said he had a grade over 95 that corresponded to "Instant All-Pro upside; takes over games and changes teams." I hope to see it.

I’ve watched every snap he’s played in being an LSU fan.  When you make Justin Jefferson look like a good but not great player the sky is the limit.  Only thing that can slow this train down is injuries.  If he stays healthy, top 3 WR without question imo.

I’ve watched every snap he’s played in being an LSU fan.  When you make Justin Jefferson look like a good but not great player the sky is the limit.  Only thing that can slow this train down is injuries.  If he stays healthy, top 3 WR without question imo.
Top 3 in the NFL? 

... the sky is the limit.  Only thing that can slow this train down is injuries...
Unfortunately the Bengals didn't do a great job addressing their offensive line. 

Joe Burrow got sacked and knocked around a ton and predictably ended his first year on IR, he's still not cleared to play yet.

Injuries to the quarterbacks of great WRs have severely cut into production so I agree that the only thing that can slow down Chase is injuries.

That injury risk is higher than most for Ja'Marr because his production is directly tied to Joe who needs better protection to stay healthy.

Ya I could see him being top 3 in the league but not in his rookie year.  I also don't think ANY player will ever be "top 3 without question". Lots of variables. But he def has a shot at it
No, not his rookie season.  WR is not an easy transition into the league.  By year 3 I expect him to be a top 3 WR if he stays healthy.

Bracie Smathers said:
Unfortunately the Bengals didn't do a great job addressing their offensive line. 

Joe Burrow got sacked and knocked around a ton and predictably ended his first year on IR, he's still not cleared to play yet.

Injuries to the quarterbacks of great WRs have severely cut into production so I agree that the only thing that can slow down Chase is injuries.

That injury risk is higher than most for Ja'Marr because his production is directly tied to Joe who needs better protection to stay healthy.
I agree with that.  Joe being healthy will play a major part how Chase pans out.  Injuries aside, both players have “it”.  I’ve seen a lot of players come through LSU, the only ones I felt this strongly about panned out in the league (Dalton Hilliard and Patrick Peterson).  Every other player out of LSU, I had “some” reservations about.  Some turned out great, some not so much.

I like a much of what that site writes, but also dislike a bunch. Read this opinion:

Jaylen Waddle (WR – MIA)
I’m not ready to give up on Tua Tagovailoa yet from a real life standpoint, but I don’t view him as the type of quarterback who is going to lead a number of wide receivers to becoming extremely fantasy football relevant. This is a crowded Miami offense that will likely see Will Fuller and DeVante Parker on the outside. Mike Gesicki lined up in the slot at a near 50% rate last season, which is where Waddle profiles to line up a good amount of his time on the field. It’s possible that the Dolphins move Gesicki to line up as a typical tight end with Waddle commanding the slot, but either way this is a crowded offense that also involves the running backs in the passing game as well to where Myles Gaskin and Salvon Ahmed will see a good amount of involvement in the passing game as well. 
C'mon man. Read some of those names. Do you think the Dolphins drafted Waddle where they did only to crowd him out with Mike Freaking Gesicki? 

Fantasy opinions these days need to be taken with an entire salt lick.

I like a much of what that site writes, but also dislike a bunch. Read this opinion:

C'mon man. Read some of those names. Do you think the Dolphins drafted Waddle where they did only to crowd him out with Mike Freaking Gesicki? 

Fantasy opinions these days need to be taken with an entire salt lick.
I think his point is that Waddle might not be a target hog in the Dolphins offense despite the high draft position invested in him.

I haven't tried to project for the Dolphins yet. How do you see that working out and what kind of numbers will Waddle produce in this offense?

eta - I looked up Mike Clays projection for Miami

He has Miami throwing the ball over 600 times in 2021. They threw the ball 559 times last year.

He has Waddle getting 107 targets 65 reception 874 yards 5 TD 183 points which would be the 48th WR for fantasy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bengals signed first-round pick WR Ja'Marr Chase. 

Chase, who joins his former LSU QB Joe Burrow in Cincinnati, is the highest 2021 draft pick to sign his rookie deal, a four-year, $30.8 million fully guaranteed contract with a $19.7 million signing bonus. In 2019, Chase led the nation with 1,780 receiving yards (21.2 yards per reception) and 20 touchdowns. He was 17th among college receivers with 84 receptions in LSU's Burrow-led offense. In a Bengals offense with 195 vacated targets, Chase could be among the NFL's most targeted wideouts in Cincy's pass-heavy offense. The Bengals also signed third-round draft pick DE Joseph Ossai on Wednesday. 

RELATED: 

Joseph Ossai

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter 

Jun 2, 2021, 11:02 AM ET

On a FF scale (not physical comparison) for this year, is he a Randy Moss, Allen Robinson, TY Hilton, or more like a Godwin? What about dynasty/keeper? What are your expectations?

Interesting projection: 135 targets, 90 receptions, 1,200 yards and 7 td's (which they say is conservative).  I've been surprised that his ADP hasn't been higher (currently WR33 on FantasyPros in full ADP) but I expect it to rise - perhaps considerably - through the Summer.  As of now, I'm definitely buying. I actually think he's both a good floor & ceiling play.  

Interesting projection: 135 targets, 90 receptions, 1,200 yards and 7 td's (which they say is conservative).  I've been surprised that his ADP hasn't been higher (currently WR33 on FantasyPros in full ADP) but I expect it to rise - perhaps considerably - through the Summer.  As of now, I'm definitely buying. I actually think he's both a good floor & ceiling play.  
I think with his familiarity with his QB his range of outcomes is a top 10 finish. Also agree his ADP will be on the rise this summer.

On a FF scale (not physical comparison) for this year, is he a Randy Moss, Allen Robinson, TY Hilton, or more like a Godwin? What about dynasty/keeper? What are your expectations?
Hopkins/Young OBJ?

I think he'll be elite sooner than later.  Elite talent.  Great, young QB.  Team that will likely have to pass a lot.  

JA'MARR CHASE WR, CINCINNATI BENGALS

Bengals head coach Zac Taylor said the team would not force targets to any one receiver this season. 

The Athletic's Jay Morrison, distilling comments on target distribution from Taylor and offensive coordinator Brian Callahan, said "the idea is for each of the three starting receivers to end up with about the same number of targets and catches." If that were to come to fruition, Ja'Marr Chase and Tee Higgins would be severely overdrafted in redraft leagues, while Tyler Boyd would have a more sensible ADP. “When you have a passing game that is designed with progressions in mind, and it can start anywhere — it can start with either side — you have two outside receivers and a slot receiver that can all be productive, it forces you less into trying to get the perfect guy in the perfect spot all the time,” Callahan said. “And you’re able to just let guys go run and win and the ball can go to anybody based on what the coverage tells you, and the quarterback is smart enough to diagnose it and find that guy.” Boyd led the Bengals with a 21 percent target share in Joe Burrow's nine full games; A.J. Green was second with a 19 percent target share and Higgins was third with 17 percent of the team's targets. Chase's draft capital, his impressive profile, and his familiarity with former LSU teammate Joe Burrow make him the favorite to lead Cincy in targets, but not if Taylor is adamant about splitting targets. 

RELATED: 

Tee Higgins

, Tyler Boyd

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Jul 10, 2021, 2:55 PM ET

Love him as a player and want him on my roster in dynasty. But in redraft it is an easy decision to take Higgins or Boyd later as Chase’s ADP has risen beyond what I am willing to invest in. 

Teezee said:
Ferrari Chase will be better than Justin Jefferson in the long run. 
That would be amazing since I am sure JJ is going to be a great player for a long time.

I think Chase will be good but I doubt he will be better than Jefferson.

JA'MARR CHASE WR, CINCINNATI BENGALS

Bengals head coach Zac Taylor said the team would not force targets to any one receiver this season. 

The Athletic's Jay Morrison, distilling comments on target distribution from Taylor and offensive coordinator Brian Callahan, said "the idea is for each of the three starting receivers to end up with about the same number of targets and catches." If that were to come to fruition, Ja'Marr Chase and Tee Higgins would be severely overdrafted in redraft leagues, while Tyler Boyd would have a more sensible ADP. “When you have a passing game that is designed with progressions in mind, and it can start anywhere — it can start with either side — you have two outside receivers and a slot receiver that can all be productive, it forces you less into trying to get the perfect guy in the perfect spot all the time,” Callahan said. “And you’re able to just let guys go run and win and the ball can go to anybody based on what the coverage tells you, and the quarterback is smart enough to diagnose it and find that guy.” Boyd led the Bengals with a 21 percent target share in Joe Burrow's nine full games; A.J. Green was second with a 19 percent target share and Higgins was third with 17 percent of the team's targets. Chase's draft capital, his impressive profile, and his familiarity with former LSU teammate Joe Burrow make him the favorite to lead Cincy in targets, but not if Taylor is adamant about splitting targets. 

RELATED: 

Tee Higgins

, Tyler Boyd

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Jul 10, 2021, 2:55 PM ET
Maybe this is why Mike Clay has been projecting the Bengals 3 WR to be so close in targets.

(RotoWire) Chase impressed the Bengals with his ability to gain separation in summer workouts, Ben Baby of ESPN.com reports. Analysis: Teammate Joe Burrow extolled Chase's abilities, reminding everyone how well they worked together at LSU. "Everybody's been surprised by how smart he was," said Burrow. "I told everyone coming in, 'He's not going to bust, he's going to know exactly what to do, he's going to be a pro.' And that's exactly what's happened." We'll see how quickly that translates against opposing teams, and there's still the concern about how many targets Chase will get with both Tee Higgins and Tyler Boyd also on the field.

He's going to beast. I took him at 1.2 in a dynasty league knowing I'd have to start Ron Jones as my weekly #2 RB if I passed on ETN or Williams but I think owning Chase is well worth it.   :wub:
 i am sitting at 1.3 for my upcoming draft. Guys ahead of me are both RB greedy and in need of RBs. Already stated they are taking Harris and Williams 1 and 2, leaving me Chase.....thank you sir, may i have another

He's going to beast. I took him at 1.2 in a dynasty league knowing I'd have to start Ron Jones as my weekly #2 RB if I passed on ETN or Williams but I think owning Chase is well worth it.   :wub:
I did the same and the only RBs I have are Jones, Drake, Gallman, and Mack.   I am in a complete rebuild though, so I expect to be drafting top 3 again next year.  If I had gone RB, it would be Williams.  I also had the 1.10 and was hoping for Sermon. He went the pick before me, so I took the other LSU WR in Marshall.   Was lucky enough to get Lawrence at 2.02 and the only RB left in Stevenson at 2.10.   Feel like I had  an outstanding draft in my rebuild.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread