What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Ja'Marr Chase, CIN (2 Viewers)

JohnnyU

Footballguy
6'1" Sophomore - 84 receptions 1,780 yards, 20 TDs, 21.2 average.

Stud

He will be the top WR in the 2021 draft.  I love his ability to win contested catches and he wins as a deep threat or mid-range.  He just finished 2020 with 9 rec 221 yards and 2 TDs against Clemson, but did have a drop on another sure TD.  A lot can happen in a year, but as of right now I believe he will be the first WR off the board in the 2021 NFL draft and is surely a target in Devy Drafts this year.

You can expect some regression in 2020 because no one they bring in is going to throw 60 TDs, but don't let that fool you, or cause you to get down on Chase in 2020.

Last edited by a moderator:
LSU sophomore WR Ja'Marr Chase caught nine passes for 221 yards and two touchdowns in Monday's 42-25 win over Clemson in the CFP National Championship presented by AT&T.

Chase (6'1/200) was ascended in the national championship. Of course LSU’s offense still lived and breathed through QB Joe Burrow, but Chase was the preferred target of the Tiger QB. Chase earned just about 25 yards per catch and two touchdowns — a performance obviously filled with spectacular catches. Chase, just a sophomore in 2019, will surely be the preferred target for whoever quarterbacks LSU's offense in 2020.

Jan 14, 2020, 12:33 AM ET

LSU sophomore WR Ja'Marr Chase won the 2019 Biletnikoff Award.

This marks the first time in history that a Davey O'Brien Award winner (Burrow) and Biletnikoff Award winner played on the same team. Chase (6'1/200) was the most explosive member of LSU's supremely-talented wide receiver group, catching 73 passes for 1498 yards and a FBS leading 15 touchdown receptions. He posted eight games with over 100-yards receiving, and two games over 200-yards. He was also named to the Walter Camp All-American team earlier in the evening and will look forward to playing Oklahoma in the College Football Semifinal Playoff at the PlayStation Fiesta Bowl on December 28th.

SOURCE: ESPN CFB

Dec 12, 2019, 9:15 PM ET

Pro Football Focus has LSU sophomore WR Ja'Marr Chase as their highest-graded WR in the FBS (min. 55 targets).

Chase (6'1/200) just edges out other elite WRs such as Oregon State's Isaiah Hodgins and Oklahoma's CeeDee Lamb. Given Chase is a finalist for the Biletnikoff Award, it's not much of a surprise that PFF holds him in a similar light as award voters. Chase is best known for his explosive ability down the field. With one regular season game to go, Chase leads the FBS with 15 receiving touchdowns.

SOURCE: PFF College on Twitter

Nov 27, 2019, 4:42 PM ET

According to Pro Football Focus, LSU sophomore WR Ja'Marr Chase was responsible for six explosive plays in Saturday's win at Vanderbilt.

Chase (6'1/200) had himself a day in Nashville, as he caught ten passes for 229 yards and four touchdowns. The sophomore's performance came at the right time, as LSU saw both Justin Jefferson and Terrace Marshall Jr. leave the game due to injury. According to PFF, in addition to the six explosive plays Chase was responsible for a 158.3 passer rating when targeted and he also forced three missed tackles. Chase and the Tigers return to action October 5 vs. Utah State.

Sep 22, 2019, 5:16 PM ET

Ja'Marr Chase, Rondale Moore, Justyn Ross and Devonta Smith will compete for the best WR next year.  Some have Jaylen Waddle among that group, I'm not so sure.  Tylan Wallace is someone to consider as well, but I don't think he should be in the top 4.

Waddle definitely among that group, probably not Devonta Smith now that he'll be a senior.  But Ja'Marr Chase is damn impressive.  

Chase was the most productive WR in college football this year, by my numbers, and had the 3rd most productive season since 2005. The top 2 are Justin Blackmon 2010 and Leonte Carroo 2015 (if you pro-rate his numbers for the 8 games he played), with Dede Westbrook 2016 and Dez Bryant 2008 rounding out the top 5.

Chase was the most productive WR in college football this year, by my numbers, and had the 3rd most productive season since 2005. The top 2 are Justin Blackmon 2010 and Leonte Carroo 2015 (if you pro-rate his numbers for the 8 games he played), with Dede Westbrook 2016 and Dez Bryant 2008 rounding out the top 5.
Carroo had 112 receptions, 29 tds and just over 2300 yds in 4 years.  When I think production I think more than just average yards per catch.  Chase has done almost that in two years.

Carroo had 112 receptions, 29 tds and just over 2300 yds in 4 years.  When I think production I think more than just average yards per catch.  Chase has done almost that in two years.
I definitely think that Chase is a better prospect that Carroo. But if you just look at Carroo's per game production in 2015 and Chase's per game production in 2019 then on the whole Carroo's per game numbers look better. Carroo's market share numbers are even better than DJ Moore's, and he did it while putting up raw stats (YPG, YPT, TD/g) that were not that far behind Chase's. A huge thing that my formula is missing is that having amazing per game production over an 8 game stretch is easier & less impressive than having amazing per game production over a 14 game stretch (which is why I mentioned in my previous post that Carroo's stats are pro-rated from 8 games).

LSU junior WR Ja'Marr Chase posted 41 plays of 15 or more yards during the 2019 season.

Per PFF's Anthony Treash, those 41 big-time plays from Chase last season were four more than any other wideout logged in the FBS. The analyst notes that the 6-foot-1, 200-pound Biletnikoff winner was essentially invincible when facing off with single coverage, logging a mind-boggling PFF grade of 97.0 in such situations. Chase was playing in the best passing offense in college football history last season and things are almost inevitably going to ratchet down a notch or two on the whole with Joe Burrow and Joe Brady (among others) off to the NFL, but even accounting for that, Treash ranks the sophomore wideout as the No. 1 returning wide receiver in college football.

SOURCE: ESPN Insider

Mar 21, 2020, 11:54 AM ET

Pro Football Focus credits LSU junior WR Ja'Mar Chase with the most 15+ yard receptions in a single season since 2014. 

Chase racked up 47 such receptions in 2019, which was three more than any other player on the list. The other two players on the list behind Chase? Clemson's Mike Williams and Louisiana Tech's Trent Taylor, a pair of NFLers. Williams has been a stud for the Los Angeles Chargers, while Taylor has been a solid depth option for the San Francisco 49ers. In a year's time, Chase will likely be the first WR off the board and on his way to making his own NFL impact. 

Apr 6, 2020, 4:53 PM ET

Waddle definitely among that group, probably not Devonta Smith now that he'll be a senior.  But Ja'Marr Chase is damn impressive.  

Ja'Marr Chase, Rondale Moore, Justyn Ross and Devonta Smith will compete for the best WR next year.  Some have Jaylen Waddle among that group, I'm not so sure.  Tylan Wallace is someone to consider as well, but I don't think he should be in the top 4.
There's no competition. I love Rondale Moore, Waddle and healthy Ross and like Wallace/Smith. Also love Rashod Bateman from Minnesota

But Chase is in a tier of his own. Even with the premium young RBs typically carry I am having a hard time seeing anyone approach him as a prospect

There's no competition. I love Rondale Moore, Waddle and healthy Ross and like Wallace/Smith. Also love Rashod Bateman from Minnesota

But Chase is in a tier of his own. Even with the premium young RBs typically carry I am having a hard time seeing anyone approach him as a prospect
Bateman is miles ahead of Waddle, Wallace and Smith IMO. 

Bateman is miles ahead of Waddle, Wallace and Smith IMO. 
Miles ahead of Wallace and Smith--agree. Ahead of Waddle too but idk about miles

1. Chase

2/3. Moore/Bateman (slightly prefer Moore right now but landing spots will decide it)

4. Waddle

5. Etienne probably

Is how I have it right now in 1QB

Miles ahead of Wallace and Smith--agree. Ahead of Waddle too but idk about miles

1. Chase

2/3. Moore/Bateman (slightly prefer Moore right now but landing spots will decide it)

4. Waddle

5. Etienne probably

1) Chase

2) Bateman

3) Etienne

4) Hubbard

5) Waddle

6) Moore

1) Chase

2) Bateman

3) Etienne

4) Hubbard

5) Waddle

6) Moore
I have watched a ton of Hubbard at OK State and I don't see myself touching him in the top 12 picks--bad contact balance, extremely linear, limited pass catching chops, bad defensive conference, no real pass blocking potential. Nothing special imo and this is a class for WRs not RBs to me

Not even a huge Etienne fan due to his linear running style but at least he has good contact balance

I have watched a ton of Hubbard at OK State and I don't see myself touching him in the top 12 picks--bad contact balance, extremely linear, limited pass catching chops, bad defensive conference, no real pass blocking potential. Nothing special imo and this is a class for WRs not RBs to me

Not even a huge Etienne fan due to his linear running style but at least he has good contact balance
I never said I liked Hubbard, but I do believe he goes top 5 in dynasty drafts ;)

1. Chase

4. Waddle

5. Etienne probably

I'd put Ettiene at the top with Chase, honestly.  Pending landing spot/opportunity 

Otherwise I agree. 

Tier 1: Ettiene and Chase

Tier 2:  Bateman and Moore

Tier 3:  empty

Tier 4:  Hubbard

Tier 5: Waddle and Smith 

Interesting to see how far Smith zoomed up.  If (as expected) Sewell is gone by the Bengals pick at #5 will be a lot of intrigue with their pick if they have their choice between the two.

-QG

Interesting to see how far Smith zoomed up.  If (as expected) Sewell is gone by the Bengals pick at #5 will be a lot of intrigue with their pick if they have their choice between the two.

-QG
Re-uniting Chase with Burrow, yes please! 

wlwiles said:
Re-uniting Chase with Burrow, yes please! 
I really think it'll be one of the 2 WRs if Sewell is gone at #5 - I don't think it'll be like Burrow would be the decider there but I do think the tape of how worked together might make Chase their choice over Smith.

-QG

The only concern the Bengals should have this offseason is putting Burrows in the best position to succeed...whether that's drafting a WR like Chase or Smith, a TE like Pitts or Oline like Sewell everything should revolve around that because he is their future.

2021 NFL Draft: Prospects whose games resemble these stars in 2021 AFC, NFC Championship games

Excerpt:

Buccaneers WR Chris Godwin 

LSU WR Ja'Marr Chase

Godwin was a First-Team All-Pro in 2019, his true breakout campaign in his third NFL season. He caught 83 passes for 1,333 yards with nine touchdowns. Injuries pestered him more in 2020 than they did a year ago, and his yards-per-catch average dipped from 15.5 to 12.9, but Godwin still managed 840 yards and seven scores in 12 games. He has nine grabs for 119 yards and a touchdown in the first two Buccaneers playoff outings. 

He wins with quality route-running, deceptive yards after the catch skills, and fantastic capabilities in contested-catch situations. Really, Godwin is one of the most well-rounded, hard-to-cover wideouts in the league regardless of the type of cornerback he's facing. 

And all that applies to Chase's style on the field. He's a bully when there's a jump ball in his vicinity. Plus, he gets open with good regularity thanks to smooth athleticism and is a weapon after the catch. 

This guy is a tough evaluation for me. I don’t see him as a burner and he does not have elite size. Appears to find separation and is good at the catch point. He played in a historic offense the previous year and opted out this year. Just not sure exactly who he would compare to.

Look at the Bengals history. They like stacking high picks on the skill position players on offense. Its what they do.
I don’t see much evidence of that at all in their draft history. The only time that appears to apply is when they wasted the 9th pick on John Ross after drafting Boyd the year before. At least then AJG had had his 1st major injury getting IR’d after week 10 that season. Ouch in hindsight too, Patrick Mahomes, Marshon Lattimore, and Deshaun Watson were the next 3 picks.

I think a better argument would be that Boyd’s contract is easily cuttable after 2021 and while he’s been solid Chase could be elite. Bengals could look to say the Cowboys as an example who spent a 1st on Lamb last year despite having Cooper and Gallup. I think they would be better served protecting Burrow and upgrading their line but giving Burrow weapons is a good option too especially if Sewell isn’t there.

Based on prior draft history I would think Pitts would be their target. Bengals have long spent high picks on pass catching TE’s looking for a good one. Unfortunately Gresham was a bust, Eifert looked like a longtime stud but had career altering injuries that derailed him, maybe they are still high on Sample but Pitts seems like a massive and instant upgrade from him.

Sure but look at the glaring need at OL and what just happened to their franchise QB. 
Correct. The Bengals had one of the worst olines in the league last year. I could see them drafting back to back oline players as Tankathon has: Sewell or Slater in round 1 and Creed Humphrey (OK) in round 2. They could use a speed WR in later rounds to compliment Boyd and Higgins and Tate.

Users who are viewing this thread