What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Sony Michel (1 Viewer)

Georgia senior RB Sony Michel rushed for 181 yards and three touchdowns on 11 carries while catching four passes for 41 yards and an additional score in Monday's 54-48 double-overtime win over Oklahoma in the Rose Bowl.

In what was showstopper of a game to begin the College Football Playoff, Michel had several huge runs, including a thrilling 75-yard scoring dash near the beginning of the second quarter. He would later put in a 38-yard touchdown run just before the game flipped to the fourth quarter. The game would not be decided until Michel raced in for 27-yard score in double-overtime. His lone demerit came when he coughed up the ball for a scoop-and-score touchdown in the fourth quarter. Georgia showed fantastic resolve to bounce back from that miscue. Michel (5'11/208) ends his career at Georgia having rushed for 3,515 yards and 33 touchdowns, plus 64 catches for 621 yards and six scores. He possesses an excellent blend of speed and quickness and a late Day 1 selection for the NFL Draft is not out of the question.

Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline wrote that he was "surprised" to hear several area scouts grade Georgia senior RB Sony Michel as a better draft prospect that Georgia senior RB Nick Chubb.

"They believe Michel’s game projects better to the next level compared to Chubb’s and that both will end up in the draft’s second round," Pauline writes. Don't count the analyst in this boat -- he not only views Chubb as a better prospect than Michel, he believes that the 5-foot-10, 228-pounder will be drafted on Day 1 come the spring. Chubb has rushed for at least 1,000 yards in three of his four seasons. He probably would have made it 4-for-4 had he not suffered a serious season-ending knee injury in the autumn of 2015. 

Wed, Dec 6, 2017

05:08:00 PM

Source: Draft Analyst

He was quick to hit the holes, but the holes he ran through seemed gaping compared to what Chubb had to work with. The holes in the pros will be much smaller, but maybe his speed will counteract that.

He was quick to hit the holes, but the holes he ran through seemed gaping compared to what Chubb had to work with. The holes in the pros will be much smaller, but maybe his speed will counteract that.
I'll admit the game last night was my first time really watching Chubb and Michel but I came away more impressed with Chubb.  Michel certainly had a fine game and, as you mentioned, his big plays seemed to be the result of some pretty impressive holes.  Chubb also had a fine game and seemed to create a lot of his success, a trait I look for in a RB I intend to draft in my dynasty leagues.

Both appear to be good prospects and their landing spots (and draft position) will tell us a lot.  Personally, I rate Chubb higher right now.

Man may have folks going bananas to get him after tonight.
He is my #5 RB now, only moved him up one spot after last week.

My biggest question with him likely can't get answered tonight. Still not sure if he projects to more of a Drake type role or if he'll grow into more of a feature back, DJ/Bell type role. He's got the size, but that does not always mean you are suited for it.

Easy TD there if the QB had a brain

QB was rushed a bit,but still

Last edited by a moderator:
Georgia senior RB Sony Michel rushed for 98 yards on 14 carries in Monday's 26-23 overtime loss to Alabama in the College Football Playoff National Championship.

Michel (5'11/208) had about as good a game as you'll see against Alabama's run defense on Monday, consistently showing off the ability to cut up field. His quickness and burst to the hole -- and some of the holes were very narrow -- was noticeable throughout. Michel ends his final season in Athens having rushed for a career-best 1,227 yards and 16 touchdowns. Don't count out a possible Day 1 selection for the NFL Draft this spring, though Day 2 (Rds. 2-3) remains his most likely landing spot on that front.

Jan 9 - 12:59 AM

He now sits perched in my coveted #4 spot, and Im debating putting him ahead of Chubb after last night as well. 

The man may now be my #3 (PRE-DRAFT) RB.

I don't follow the scouting and stuff very much but I've said for two years to my UGA buddies that Michel looks like a better pro prospect than Chubb.  Either one of those guys would be looking at owning a lot of records if the other one didn't exist but Michel's eye-popping 8 yards per carry this year really jumps out.

One HC's 5'-10", 215 RB is a 3 down back while another HC thinks he's a committee guy. All depends where these guys go. He should come it at 5'-10" at the combine.

For instance, the Lions are drafting a RB this year, probably one of the top guys but they already have Riddick catching passes. Cooter remains OC. Patricia probably lets him run the O the way Belicheck let Brady/Josh M. run it in NE.

Once these guys get drafted, some will drop like a stone because of location. For instance, someone is potentially getting drafted by Arizona. Cross him off if that happens.

The Championship really changed my opinion of Michel. I already thought Chubb will be a good NFL RB, not necessarily great, but a solid RB2 for a handful of years if he stays healthy and lands in an alright spot.

I thought Michel was overrated. I'd watched a handful of videos with his compiled runs, and most of the time he was running to the outside and his big gains were running through gaping holes in the defense. It's great that he's fast and able to make the most of those holes, but if he can't run up the middle, then he can't be a 3-down back. I hadn't seen any great examples of vision or creating something out of nothing. In the Championship game, he had a handful of runs right up the gut where he had to pick his spot and attack, it was great to see. Alabama always has a stout D-line, and being able to get yards when the line was repeatedly getting blown up definitely increased my opinion of him.

Teams I'd like to see him go to: Oakland, Steelers, Lions, Rams (Hurts Gurley Owner), 49ers, Chargers, Bears, Bucs, Houston, Browns, Bills, Jets, Seahawks, Titans (He'll suck until Mularkey is fired), Colts
Teams I don't want him to go to: Cards, Cowboys, NE, Vikings, Jags, Saints, Miami, Chiefs, Eagles, Giants, Carolina, Ravens, Bengals, GB, Denver, Atlanta, Skins

trade down to the 1.3 or 1.4 and get a solid WR in the package

Yes, you're giving up Barkley, but Michel will be very good in the NFL 

trade down to the 1.3 or 1.4 and get a solid WR in the package

Yes, you're giving up Barkley, but Michel will be very good in the NFL 
Possibly depending on where they go.

Also, if I was RB weak and got that offer for 1.1, I would take it and grab 2 RBs. For every home run like Todd Gurley or Leveon Bell there are more swings and misses like Trent Richardson.

For the record, I have 1.3 and 1.4 and would not trade them for 1.1. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Michel would be a perfect fit in New Orleans. That, from a pure talent lens, is where he would be great. Given that Kamara and Ingram are already there, this is exceedingly unlikely.

I don't get this take, at least for fantasy purposes. A 3 headed monster in New Orleans would be a nightmare. They would cut into each other's opportunities.

A great fit would be Oakland. I picture his production as similar to to Charlie Garner's under Gruden's tenure. 

I don't get this take, at least for fantasy purposes. A 3 headed monster in New Orleans would be a nightmare. They would cut into each other's opportunities.

A great fit would be Oakland. I picture his production as similar to to Charlie Garner's under Gruden's tenure. 
I meant to say that Michel’s skill set translates perfectly to what New Orleans likes to do with their backs. I don’t think he’s likely to end up there.

But they already have that a back with a similar skill set in Kamara. I understand that you do not think it will happen, but even it it did it would be a terrible landing spot for fantasy purposes. 

I meant to say that Michel’s skill set translates perfectly to what New Orleans likes to do with their backs. I don’t think he’s likely to end up there.
I got what you meant. If the position(s) were not already filled it would be a perfect landing spot for his skills. I agree with that but also that he's not going there.

Michel would be a perfect fit in New Orleans. That, from a pure talent lens, is where he would be great. Given that Kamara and Ingram are already there, this is exceedingly unlikely.
For the same reasons I think he'd be a good fit with the Steelers. If they franchise Bell 1 more time, or let him walk, he'll probably be gone in 2019. Michel as the speed back and Conner as the power back, it'd be a good combo with a good line. Only issue is QB.

I see Gruden taking him in the 2nd round even if they keep Marshawn.  He used Mike Pittman and Charlier Garner in passing situations a ton (also Napoleon Kauffman before).  

Lions would be a strong fit too but doubt he drops that far in the 2nd.  Taking him in the 1st may be too early.

I can't see how they draft any RB high. They are set at RB and can use the picks to improve elsewhere.

I see Gruden taking him in the 2nd round even if they keep Marshawn.  He used Mike Pittman and Charlier Garner in passing situations a ton (also Napoleon Kauffman before).  

Lions would be a strong fit too but doubt he drops that far in the 2nd.  Taking him in the 1st may be too early.
Whoever Gruden takes will be a top 4 pick. Possibly top 2.  Looking at his past, https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/GrudJo0.htm he uses the RB as a receiver and the best he ever had is probably not in Michel's league.

For the same reasons I think he'd be a good fit with the Steelers. If they franchise Bell 1 more time, or let him walk, he'll probably be gone in 2019. Michel as the speed back and Conner as the power back, it'd be a good combo with a good line. Only issue is QB.
Agree. Steelers are another good fit. 

Users who are viewing this thread