What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Sony Michel (1 Viewer)

Where do you guys rank him now in rookie drafts?  Is he after Barkley and Freeman?  
Yes, but I am not a real big dynasty guy so take it for what it's worth. I favor more immediate return on value in dynasty and I think Freeman has a more clear path to RB1 level touches. Sony has huge TD upside in New England but there seems to be enough competition to make it a muddy situation in 2018. 

I think Week 1 is James White week.

I do think White is a value pick.  

It's frustrating because the Pats have such an amazing schedule with a string of horrible run defenses they face. But trying to guess which RB will profit most from it all is a real coin toss atm.

Do you think it's crazy that I drafted Burkhead in 6 and Michel in 7 last night (12-team PPR)?

Truebluey said:

It's frustrating because the Pats have such an amazing schedule with a string of horrible run defenses they face. But trying to guess which RB will profit most from it all is a real coin toss atm.

Do you think it's crazy that I drafted Burkhead in 6 and Michel in 7 last night (12-team PPR)?
I was a fan of Burkhead when I started my prep for the year but Ive now soured on all NE RBs. I tried to convince myself one was going to be a great one to own but I just can't stomach getting a goose egg every couple weeks because I guessed wrong, or didn't have the right guy. No NE RBs for me unless it's late in the draft.

Truebluey said:

I've been drafting White in a few leagues lately just in case Michel's injury was worse than they said.  Honestly I think this year is a monster PPR year for White, but I am definitely still on Michel.  Burkhead's injury is spooky also, a "slight tear" in the knee 3.5 weeks before kickoff has me fading him.  I know he's back practicing in some capacity but I don't like it.

But to answer your question, no that's not crazy at all.  In the FBG draft Saturday night that I was in Burkhead went at the 6.5, White at the 8.9 (me) and Michel at the 9.2. In hindsight I would have taken Michel at 8.9, but I own him quite a bit already and his "10 day" injury was approaching 25 days already with no updates or timetable.

Just to show you how far Michel's stock tumbled, I was taking him at the start of the 5th in FBG drafts in July and was even seeing him being taken in the 3rd.

Patriots RBs coach Ivan Fears was impressed with Sony Michel (knee) after his return to practice on Monday.

"Just what we expected," Fears said of the No. 31 overall pick. "I was really happy when we got the pads on, and got a chance to see him run a bit. It looks like he's going to be what we expected to be. ... I expect him to come back ready to go." Fears' words suggest the Pats are planning a Week 1 role for their rookie back. Rex Burkhead is probably the favorite to lead in touches against the Texans, but it goes without saying we don't truly know what coach Bill Belichick is going to do.

Source: Mike Reiss on Twitter 

Aug 28 - 2:01 PM

The knee injury is a concern, but he's starting to seem more interesting amid all the rookie RB mess - at least beyond 2018. Still a cluster in New England, but no more than for any other rookie RB beyond Barkley and Freeman.

Sony Michel (knee) remains limited in Patriots practice.

Michel finally returned to practice on Monday but has yet to be given the all clear. "They haven’t totally freed him up for us to do everything with him, so we’re doing everything we possibly can to keep him up to date," RBs coach Ivan Fears said. Fears did add that Michel has been "what we expected (him) to be," and that he expects Michel to "come back ready to go." It would appear Michel has a legit chance at suiting up for Week 1.

Source: Kevin Duffy on Twitter 

Aug 28 - 3:47 PM

Weird stance if you don't know where he was drafted.
Not really. If I don't see him coming close to being a RB2 in a 12 team league (regular scoring or PPR).

To repeat myself . . .

- Hasn't practiced for almost a month. Showing up for now for walk throughs and non-contact drills is not the same as taking contact.
- Had fumbling issues in the spring and in regular training camp.
- Who knows if he is in game shape . . . played in no preseason games.
- Who knows if he can pass protect (on a designated defender) or pick up the blitz (could be multiple options to look out for).
- BB has not given rookie skill players a ton of work / snaps / touches up since he came to NE.
- NE will likely bring him along slowly and hope to have him healthy for the playoffs.
- Most likely will not be a bell cow back and most likely will not see many 3rd down long yardage snaps.
- Most likely will not see many receptions with White and Burkhead running a lot of receiving routes.
- May not see goal line work (Burkhead was getting a lot of work there).
- The emergence of Jeremy Hill and the chance he sees a fair amount of early season work.

So based on that, I don't think he comes close to being a candidate as the fantasy SOD.

Just don't over invest in the NE backfield you're chasing the dragon. Blount 2016 will never happen again. Lewis 2nd half of 2017 is a dart throw at best.

Injuries are the only thing that will change that and Michel is just as likely as anyone to be the injured guy.

Not really. If I don't see him coming close to being a RB2 in a 12 team league (regular scoring or PPR).

To repeat myself . . .

- Hasn't practiced for almost a month. Showing up for now for walk throughs and non-contact drills is not the same as taking contact.
- Had fumbling issues in the spring and in regular training camp.
- Who knows if he is in game shape . . . played in no preseason games.
- Who knows if he can pass protect (on a designated defender) or pick up the blitz (could be multiple options to look out for).
- BB has not given rookie skill players a ton of work / snaps / touches up since he came to NE.
- NE will likely bring him along slowly and hope to have him healthy for the playoffs.
- Most likely will not be a bell cow back and most likely will not see many 3rd down long yardage snaps.
- Most likely will not see many receptions with White and Burkhead running a lot of receiving routes.
- May not see goal line work (Burkhead was getting a lot of work there).
- The emergence of Jeremy Hill and the chance he sees a fair amount of early season work.

So based on that, I don't think he comes close to being a candidate as the fantasy SOD.
I agree that for re-draft purposes, anything you get from him this year is probably gravy. What do you think of him dynasty-wise relative to the other rookies, especially as Brady gets nearer to the end?

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that for re-draft purposes, anything you get from him this year is probably gravy. What do you think of him dynasty-wise relative to the other rookies, especially as Brady gets nearer to the end?
I honestly don't see why he still not taken anywhere from 2-7.  They all have risk.

I honestly don't see why he still not taken anywhere from 2-7.  They all have risk.
I think he has 3 very big risks outside of the usual risk (is he actually good for NFL football).

1. Rumors of knee problems. A week or 2 into camp: he's already needed an operation and missed time.

2. New England is pretty willy nilly with who they use at RB and when.

3. The offense is built around a 41 year old QB who could be gone at any point. There's no back-up plan in place and the rest of the offense is awfully questionable. If you swap Brady for a rookie QB, it could be a pretty #### offense. 

I think he has 3 very big risks outside of the usual risk (is he actually good for NFL football).

1. Rumors of knee problems. A week or 2 into camp: he's already needed an operation and missed time.

3. The offense is built around a 41 year old QB who could be gone at any point. There's no back-up plan in place and the rest of the offense is awfully questionable. If you swap Brady for a rookie QB, it could be a pretty #### offense. 
Is this guy L Maroney part II?

Just don't over invest in the NE backfield you're chasing the dragon. Blount 2016 will never happen again. Lewis 2nd half of 2017 is a dart throw at best.

Injuries are the only thing that will change that and Michel is just as likely as anyone to be the injured guy.
I'm chasing White because he's free and has two working knees. 

I understand and agree the knee problem and long term QB situation are certainly concerns.  I look at the RB usage as a positive.  I think the reason they've used a full blown committee approach is because they haven't had a RB, since Corey Dillon, that was very good.  Best seasons came from Blount, Ridley, and Lewis.  I'm willing to bet that Michel at least carries their level of talent.

Looking back at the poll performed on this board (2018 rookie pick 1.12) shows Michel as the consensus 1.06.  I'd be hard pressed to move him back from that spot based strictly on an injury. 

I understand and agree the knee problem and long term QB situation are certainly concerns.  I look at the RB usage as a positive.  I think the reason they've used a full blown committee approach is because they haven't had a RB, since Corey Dillon, that was very good.  Best seasons came from Blount, Ridley, and Lewis.  I'm willing to bet that Michel at least carries their level of talent.

Looking back at the poll performed on this board (2018 rookie pick 1.12) shows Michel as the consensus 1.06.  I'd be hard pressed to move him back from that spot based strictly on an injury. 
If healthy, Michel could be very good, but he wasn’t a bell cow back at Alabama (12.5 carries a game). Not sure with knee issues already that he will become one in the NFL either. He wasn’t used a ton as a receiver in college either (like 1.25 receptions per game). 

He may be best suited as a 12-15 touch per game guy and part of a diverse RB corps (like in NE). But I don’t see a 300 carry / 50 reception a year player. Maybe 175-200 carries and 20-25 receptions. 

Sony Michel - RB -  Patriots

The Athletic's Jeff Howe reports the "sense" around the Patriots "isn't as strong" that Sony Michel (knee) will be ready for Week 1 as it is for Rex Burkhead's (knee) availability.

Despite Michel's recent return to individual drills in practice, Howe passes along concern Michel isn't out of the woods. RBs coach Ivan Fears relayed similar concerns recently. Michel will open the season as a mere bench stash in fantasy leagues. Burkhead and James White are much-preferred fantasy picks.

Source: The Athletic 

Aug 30 - 12:38 PM

If healthy, Michel could be very good, but he wasn’t a bell cow back at Alabama (12.5 carries a game). Not sure with knee issues already that he will become one in the NFL either. He wasn’t used a ton as a receiver in college either (like 1.25 receptions per game). 

He may be best suited as a 12-15 touch per game guy and part of a diverse RB corps (like in NE). But I don’t see a 300 carry / 50 reception a year player. Maybe 175-200 carries and 20-25 receptions. 
I think you probably know this and just mistyped, but he played at Georgia and shared the backfield with arguably a more talented prospect in Chubb.

I agree that he could struggle to get touches. I'm concerned he won't get many catches for PPR with White around. 

I think you probably know this and just mistyped, but he played at Georgia and shared the backfield with arguably a more talented prospect in Chubb.

I agree that he could struggle to get touches. I'm concerned he won't get many catches for PPR with White around. 
Yeah, Alabama . . . Georgia . . . those SEC teams are all alike.

Michel may start the year on IR-DFR . . . so that won't help his cause this year.

Sony Michel (knee) participated in positional drills Sunday.

The extent of Michel's participation is unknown. Either way, it's a terrific sign for his short term outlook that he's already back to practicing merely seven days away from the Patriots' season opener. The Athletic's Jeff Howe recently reported the "sense" was Michel would be out Week 1, so it's possible the rookie sits out the first game and returns in Week 2.

Source: Kevin Duffy on Twitter 

Sep 2 - 3:58 PM

Sony Michel (knee) was limited at Wednesday's practice.

It's the next step after Michel was limited to individual drills. Michel's Week 1 status is up in the air, but most signs suggest he'll be held out after missing the preseason. The Patriots will lean on Rex Burkhead and James White if Michel sits.

Sep 5 - 4:59 PM

Kamara didn’t carry the load in Tennessee for much of his career. If it wasn’t for an injury he may never had been noticed so I no longer look at the amount a back carried in college. Just his production when he was given the opportunity.

Tex

Kamara didn’t carry the load in Tennessee for much of his career. If it wasn’t for an injury he may never had been noticed so I no longer look at the amount a back carried in college. Just his production when he was given the opportunity.

Tex
Burkhead averaged more fantasy points per touch than Kamara did last year. So if what you say is true, then you should be even higher on Burkhead than Michel. 

Tex
I think a RB workload in college is a useful part of the evaluation because it is one of the few things that can show the players durability and endurance. 

I think Kamara is a good example of a player who likely should have been used more than he was in college. The creme rising to the top theory did not work for him in college. That doesn't mean that the best players on a team do not usually earn more opportunities because they are good. I think most of the time they do.

It certainly isn't the only thing to consider, but I still think the college production should be about 10-20% of the overall player evaluation.

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, Sony Michel (questionable, knee) is not expected to play Week 1 against the Texans.

The rookie was able to practice on a limited basis this week, but obviously didn't show enough to get the green light. With Michel in street clothes, Rex Burkhead will carry the load on Sunday with James White occupying his usual role on passing downs. Michel should be back for Week 2 against Jacksonville.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Sep 9 - 9:09 AM

So, it's official, Hill is done for the year with a torn ACL.

How does this effect Sony? I assume it's a major uptick? 

Any Sony owners rolling him out next week if active against Jax or waiting to see how the situation plays out?

DJ and Freeman owner here looking for an answer after abysmal week 1 showings from my RBs.

Any Sony owners rolling him out next week if active against Jax or waiting to see how the situation plays out?

DJ and Freeman owner here looking for an answer after abysmal week 1 showings from my RBs.
Have to give it a week, I think. It might be one fewer body, but it’s still Belichick and Michel hasn’t played all preseason.

Not sure where you are getting the major uptick from. Hill didn't see a big role when he played this week. Michel's issues are health, not being in game shape, and having had no practice time with the starting offense. Burkhead is the one competing with Michel. Rex had 19 touches against HOU.

I am not expecting much out of Michel in the next few weeks, so you may be better suited looking at other options.

Not sure where you are getting the major uptick from. Hill didn't see a big role when he played this week. Michel's issues are health, not being in game shape, and having had no practice time with the starting offense. Burkhead is the one competing with Michel. Rex had 19 touches against HOU.

I am not expecting much out of Michel in the next few weeks, so you may be better suited looking at other options.
I guess what I meant was uptick for season long value.  I could have seen Hill vulturing 3-5 TDs this year and some short yardage work.

concussed in practice?
Running back Rex Burkhead missed Wednesday's practice with a concussion. He was present during the media portion of practice, which included non-contact individual drills. Burkhead was the only player to be listed as a DNP.

By the sounds of that, it doesn't sound like it was from practice.

After no preseason work, I would expect that he will get a handful of carries and White will be carrying the load for the game. And against the Jags, they probably go pass heavy.

I am completely biased, as I own a lot of Michel. But...

I still think we're sitting on a goldmine in Michel. Yes, RBs is New England have been a nightmare for years. But I'm trying to think like Bill Belichick here. His only other choice as a first round RB was Lawrence Maroney. Maroney was ok in year one, but he ended up a total bust. We know that Belichick is an independent thinker. We know that historically Belichick has avoided using high picks on RB mostly. So then why would he use another first round pick on Michel? I think Michel is the best all around RB the Patriots have had in years. Michel can do what Dion Lewis did, but he's a lot bigger. 

Users who are viewing this thread