What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Sony Michel (2 Viewers)

If I had to take him in redraft I might actually weep a little while applying the sticker to the draft board. 
He was at the top of my cue tonight while I was sitting on the 11.12. Some kind hearted saint came in and took him at the 11.09. I was beginning to feel physically ill I'd have to draft him. Now I'm on the Boston Scott train.

ESPN's Mike Reiss writes that the Patriots "figure to ease" Sony Michel (foot) "into the mix".

Michel has only practiced for two weeks following his offseason foot surgery, an injury that typically carries re-injury risk if rushed back. The Patriots would be wise to keep Michel on a pitch count in the season opener against the Dolphins, but Damien Harris (hand) landing on injured reserve makes that slightly harder to pull off. Michel likely starts, plays on high-value rushing downs, and loses some rushing snaps to Rex Burkhead while James White handles all receiving work. The home matchup is mouthwatering for Michel. As always, the question mark is his health. When asked about it, Michel said, "Every day is a work in progress... I am feeling good. I like where I'm at and I am headed in the right direction."

RELATED: 

Rex Burkhead

, James White

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Sep 8, 2020, 2:19 AM ET

I am starting to think he is being undervalued. Miller is cut and Harris is on IR. I expect the Pats to run more this year. I think he will outperform last year's stats. 

I am starting to think he is being undervalued. Miller is cut and Harris is on IR. I expect the Pats to run more this year. I think he will outperform last year's stats. 
I like his ADP if you want a 5th RB with TD upside. 

i certainly wouldn’t reach for him,  or have to depend on him as anything more. 

It's going to be the Burkhead/White show to start.

Then Burkhead will get hurt...right when Sony is coming around and Harris comes off IR.

Staying away. Will not be sorted out till week 6. And even at that point, all but White could be worthless.

Fantasy Football Mailbag: Week 1 fantasy football start 'em or sit 'em

Excerpt:

WHICH NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS BACK IS THE SAFER BET THIS WEEK? SONY MICHEL OR JAMES WHITE? — @YALLGOTTATHINK

We're always entering uncharted territory when it comes to safety with running backs on the New England Patriots, but the play here is Sony Michel. All signs indicate Michel is healthy and locked in as the lead back, and he should produce against the Miami Dolphins. In his last two games against the Dolphins, Michel has averaged just under 20 carries per game, one rushing touchdown and 79 rushing yards.

With the Patriots favored at home, a touchdown score is well within Michel’s range of outcomes. He should reprise his role as the goal-line back — he ranks fifth in carries inside the 5-yard line since 2018. In his last two games against Miami, he has totaled nine carries and two rushing touchdowns inside the 10-yard line. Cam Newton‘s mobility should also open holes for Michel in the running game. 

Because I'm high on Michel this week, that naturally means I'm low on James White. Their production is negatively correlated; Michel puts up numbers in positive game scripts when the offense can pound the rock and White scores fantasy points in negative game scripts when the team needs to pass. Eighty percent of White’s receptions last season (72) came when the team was trailing by at least seven points.

In two games last season against Miami, White averaged just three receptions but also just happened to catch two touchdowns as well. The passing volume is going to be significantly down without Tom Brady running the offense. With the Patriots establishing the run, White is going to see little usage.

Michel is my RB22 and White is RB31 in my Week 1 rankings. 

I am so happy that I was able to trade him away prior to the start of the season.

Patriots' Sony Michel: Leads crowded backfield in opener

Michel rushed 10 times for 37 yards and a touchdown while going without a target in the passing game in Sunday's 21-11 win over the Dolphins.

Michel got 10 carries while New England's three other running backs combined for 16, and his most important rush resulted in a one-yard touchdown to complete the scoring with 5:23 to go. The Patriots' first 14 points came courtesy of a pair of Cam Newton rushing scores, and the quarterback paced the team in both carries (15) and rushing yards (75). Michel will have some value as long as he's getting a sizable portion of the team's carries, but Newton's presence near the goal line and Michel's lack of involvement in the passing game are red flags.

Whats the value here...he is my RB5 (behind Jacobs, Gurley, Mostert, Rojo).  The Rojo as my depth scares me...but can I even trust Sony ever?   Needing possible short term WR help with Thomas and D. Parker hurt...Have Ridley, Marvin Jones and Ruggs.  Do I ride them...or drop Sony and grab a guy like Parris Campbell to see how things play out over the next few weeks (or randomly saw someone dropped Preston Williams).

Whats the value here...he is my RB5 (behind Jacobs, Gurley, Mostert, Rojo).  The Rojo as my depth scares me...but can I even trust Sony ever?   Needing possible short term WR help with Thomas and D. Parker hurt...Have Ridley, Marvin Jones and Ruggs.  Do I ride them...or drop Sony and grab a guy like Parris Campbell to see how things play out over the next few weeks (or randomly saw someone dropped Preston Williams).
Probably not, especially with Cam. Newton will kill the value of all NE backs. Michel at this point will be TD dependent, as his number of carries should drop and he still is rarely involved in the passing game. He might have a game with 60/1, but I doubt he will have 130/2 weeks. 

It depends how much you want / need help at other spots. But you probably wouldn’t use Michel much unless you had injury and bye week issues. 

In a redraft, I drafted him late....I just dropped him. Useless unless you are desperate. Cam Newton will be the best RB they have this year by far. He will end up with the most yards and TD in NE making Sony Michel irrelevant.

In a redraft, I drafted him late....I just dropped him. Useless unless you are desperate. Cam Newton will be the best RB they have this year by far. He will end up with the most yards and TD in NE making Sony Michel irrelevant.
I wish the Michel owner in my league would drop him. I'd love to have that depth for free off the WW.  Michel isn't going to knock anyone's socks off but he might finish with ~800 rushing/20/150 rec, with 8 total TDs. That's absolutely worth having on your bench for BYE weeks or emergency flex. 

I wish the Michel owner in my league would drop him. I'd love to have that depth for free off the WW.  Michel isn't going to knock anyone's socks off but he might finish with ~800 rushing/20/150 rec, with 8 total TDs. That's absolutely worth having on your bench for BYE weeks or emergency flex. 
Currently holding him, but have a claim to drop him for...gulp...L. Bell who was dropped yesterday.

Drop one bum with a low ceiling for maybe another who has a higher ceiling.

Drop one bum with a low ceiling for maybe another who has a higher ceiling.
Also, I hate to discuss Jets any more than I have to, but I'm not certain Bell's ceiling is any higher. For one, Frank Gore. For another, didn't Gase just bring in that MIA back who failed his physical when he tried to bring him in before? Ballage? Clearly he likes the dude. 

And the Jets are nowhere near as good as the Pats, so....yeah. 

Any chance you can drop them both in exchange for a coupon to Shake Shack or something? 

Also, I hate to discuss Jets any more than I have to, but I'm not certain Bell's ceiling is any higher. For one, Frank Gore. For another, didn't Gase just bring in that MIA back who failed his physical when he tried to bring him in before? Ballage? Clearly he likes the dude. 

And the Jets are nowhere near as good as the Pats, so....yeah. 

Any chance you can drop them both in exchange for a coupon to Shake Shack or something? 
Lol.

Either Michel or Bell is literally my #8 RB. If Bell gets healthy, he'll be a huge chunk of that offense. I'll take Bell as my 2nd flex spot in a pinch sometime later in the season.

Just see so many obstacles to Michel. Hell, JJ Taylor getting all kinds of rave reviews now.

I think you are being very optimistic here. These numbers are by far best case scenario in my opinion unless Newton gets hurt.

I think you are being very optimistic here. These numbers are by far best case scenario in my opinion unless Newton gets hurt.
I said “might” - that’s best case scenario. I’m actually quite pessimistic, realistically thinking he finishes with ~600/15/100/7

still a good bye week dart throw if you’re in need. Worth rostering in 12-team leagues. 

I said “might” - that’s best case scenario. I’m actually quite pessimistic, realistically thinking he finishes with ~600/15/100/7

still a good bye week dart throw if you’re in need. Worth rostering in 12-team leagues
No he's not. Who knows what role Harris has when he comes back and at that point of your bench you want people with upside. Not Michel-side. 

Hot Sauce Guy said:
Right, because Harris has completely earned a vote of confidence in FF circles by now. lol
No. That's not what I'm saying. You repeatedly being a honk for this turd is what's lol. It's a joke. Everyone knows you were wrong about him. Just admit it and move along. 

No. That's not what I'm saying. You repeatedly being a honk for this turd is what's lol. It's a joke. Everyone knows you were wrong about him. Just admit it and move along. 
I’m not a honk - I’m saying he’s a desperation flex play. What are you talking about?! 

rockaction said:
No he's not. Who knows what role Harris has when he comes back and at that point of your bench you want people with upside. Not Michel-side. 
He's rostered in all my 12 team leagues. Don't think anyone's excited about it, but he gets carries, at least for now. 

Sony Michel had seven carries for 19 yards in Week 2 against Seattle.

Michel got nothing going against Seattle in the first half. He was a non-factor with the Patriots abandoning the run after that and lost red-zone work to Cam Newton. Michel has struggled through the first two games, averaging 2.9 YPC. He'll be a touchdown-dependent RB3 for a Week 3 matchup with the Raiders.

Sep 21, 2020, 12:02 AM ET

He was just dropped in my dynasty. 

Debating finally dropping John Ross for him.
I will preface this post with a repeat (because it’s become a running joke) that I paid nothing for Michel in dynasty & am not a Sony Michel fan. My “defense” of him in here has been related to his YPC (at the time, 4-Ish) and his health, concerns of which (knee) have consistently been overblown. 

He actually looked healthy out there so far this year. it appears to be his lone quality attribute at this point.

That said, unless he gets hurt or someone I can’t resist becomes available forcing me to use the roster spot, I will hold. 

Purely because I have him, I’d love to see Michel go to another team, because he’s worthless in NEP except as a dart throw flex for an emergency start on the off-chance he gets a touchdown. As evidenced by my starting Cole last night, it would have to be a true emergency, which I hope to never have. lol

That said, and to your post, I could certainly understand dropping him. I probably wouldn’t add him for Ross, because Ross could well go somewhere & become relevant next year. IIRC the Bengals tried to deal Ross, but were unsuccessful.

Based on that failed trade attempt I could also see a scenario emerge late season where the Bengals are bad all year & start giving Ross some play to try to build up trade value. So he could actually help you this year if that happens. :shrug:  

Sony Michel rushed nine times for 117 yards in the Patriots' Week 3 win over the Raiders.

He also caught both of his targets in the pass game for 23 yards, making the very most of his opportunities alongside Rex Burkhead and J.J. Taylor out of the backfield. All three backs had 10-plus touches. Michel's 38- and 48-yard runs were the longest of his career. Not many 100-yard games will be in Michel's future this season with all of these running backs involved. Michel won't be a recommended play next week against the Chiefs.

Sep 27, 2020, 5:19 PM ET

Michel not flying to KC and has been ruled OUT for tonight's game against KC.
Rumors are that Damien Harris could be activated off of IR, but that has not happened as of yet.
James White will be back after missing the last two games.

Michel not flying to KC and has been ruled OUT for tonight's game against KC.
Rumors are that Damien Harris could be activated off of IR, but that has not happened as of yet.
James White will be back after missing the last two games.
Burkhead would seem to be a decent play tonight especially if Harris isn't activated.

Patriots placed Sony Michel (quad) on injured reserve.

Damien Harris, who was activated from injured reserve prior to Monday night, and James White should both be available in the interim. Michel, fresh off his best performance (9/117) since his rookie year, isn't expected to stay on injured reserve beyond Week 8 but will likely return to fewer carries and less opportunity among New England's crowded backfield. He can be safely dropped in all 10/12-man re-draft leagues.

SOURCE: Field Yates on Twitter

Oct 5, 2020, 4:32 PM ET

Patriots placed Sony Michel (quad) on injured reserve.

Damien Harris, who was activated from injured reserve prior to Monday night, and James White should both be available in the interim. Michel, fresh off his best performance (9/117) since his rookie year, isn't expected to stay on injured reserve beyond Week 8 but will likely return to fewer carries and less opportunity among New England's crowded backfield. He can be safely dropped in all 10/12-man re-draft leagues.

Oct 5, 2020, 4:32 PM ET
The last part about Michel being "safely dropped" is just silly. No one has any idea what will happen with the NE backfield moving forward. They are just guessing that Harris is a HOFer and Michel will be considered a bum in short order. We know Michel can block, which in itself makes him valuable. We have no idea what Harris can or can't do and how the Pats will use him.

The last part about Michel being "safely dropped" is just silly. No one has any idea what will happen with the NE backfield moving forward. They are just guessing that Harris is a HOFer and Michel will be considered a bum in short order. We know Michel can block, which in itself makes him valuable. We have no idea what Harris can or can't do and how the Pats will use him.
I stopped caring about the Pats backfield long ago. It’s very peaceful 

SONY MICHEL RB, NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

ESPN's Field Yates reports the Patriots placed RB Sony Michel, G Shaq Mason and DE Derek Rivers on the COVID-19 list.

Headlined by Cam Newton, the Patriots have had a mini COVID outbreak for a couple of weeks now. It's confirmed that Michel did test positive, but Mason and Rivers fell in the NFL's new "high risk close contact" category of the COVID-19 list. The NFL has been aware of the situation and still plans to play Week 6 as scheduled. 

RELATED: 

Shaq Mason

, Derek Rivers

Oct 17, 2020, 4:47 PM ET

Sony Michel (quad) returned to practice Thursday.

Michel was designated to return from injured reserve, which unlocks the 21-day window the organization has to activate him on gameday. He would still need to be activated from injured reserve in order to play on Monday night. It's something to monitor ahead of kick-off since Michel's potential availability would ruin Damien Harris' outlook as the latter is essentially being used in the same role.

SOURCE: Doug Kyed on Twitter

Nov 5, 2020, 12:50 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread